Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com NFL/NBA Free agent Market

Bravo

They are having fun talking about Lebron (of course) but they are bringin up the question on what player in the NFL would a team pay the most for if ALL players were free agents right now.

Dont want to ruin it for you but a guy we may know as Andrew Luck gets a good amount of love in this so check it out.

Here is the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361463/article/which-nfl-player-is-worth-the-highest-salary

This can bring up the question on how much do you think the Colts are going to pay Andrew on his new contract and how many years? i would expect a max contract obviously, but maybe take a cut for other players? ect.

They are having fun talking about Lebron (of course) but they are bringin up the question on what player in the NFL would a team pay the most for if ALL players were free agents right now.

Dont want to ruin it for you but a guy we may know as Andrew Luck gets a good amount of love in this so check it out.

Here is the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361463/article/which-nfl-player-is-worth-the-highest-salary

This can bring up the question on how much do you think the Colts are going to pay Andrew on his new contract and how many years? i would expect a max contract obviously, but maybe take a cut for other players? ect.

there is no such thing as a max contract in the NFL for players after their rookie deals. Luck will probably get Something in the ball park of the other elite QBs in the NFL.

there is no such thing as a max contract in the NFL for players after their rookie deals. Luck will probably get Something in the ball park of the other elite QBs in the NFL.

Ohh yeah!!! Those darn brain "cramps" again!

If anyone is going to negotiate a more fair and team/cap friendly contract, you gotta think it would be Andrew Luck.

At least I'm hoping so lol.

He's a smart and team loyal guy, and I'm praying he takes less than he deserves (which is everything haha) so we can spend money on other positions.

I'm thinking 5 years 110 million with 70 million guaranteed.  

Would be better to make it 7 years, $154m. Same average, but it allows us to get fancy with those last two years.

Might be true, I suppose it allows us some buffer years with zero pro-rated signing bonus so that the deal could be restructured if necessary.  

I'm hoping we get him for a 7-10 years deal so we don't have to deal with this again for a while!

I don't think a player would take a 10 year deal.  

Signing bonuses can only be pro-rated over 5 years even in contracts that are longer then that.  It ends up leaving the QB exposed to money that isn't guaranteed for injury for a lot of years.  

I think the max a player would do is like 7 years.  And usually they are pushing to get extended in year 6 or 7 and pull in another signing bonus.

Might be true, I suppose it allows us some buffer years with zero pro-rated signing bonus so that the deal could be restructured if necessary.  

That's exactly what I was thinking. You could even stagger some other bonuses down the line so that the dead money in the later years isn't too high. 

If anyone is going to negotiate a more fair and team/cap friendly contract, you gotta think it would be Andrew Luck. 

At least I'm hoping so lol. 

The union will only let him take a team friendly deal to a certain extent.  They depend on their star players to get as big of deals as they can to set up the next guy and because someone set you up you sorta owe to the next guy to set them up.  Manning talked about this in the past with his contract talks.  The idea of team friendly deals for star players is popular with fans but I don't think it happens very much and when it does is normally the exception to the rule. 

I don't think a player would take a 10 year deal.  

Signing bonuses can only be pro-rated over 5 years even in contracts that are longer then that.  It ends up leaving the QB exposed to money that isn't guaranteed for injury for a lot of years.  

I think the max a player would do is like 7 years.  And usually they are pushing to get extended in year 6 or 7 and pull in another signing bonus.

I don't think many teams would offer it either.  Yes you can always cut a player at any point but you still owe some money on those deals when you cut those guys unless there is language written into the contract to protect you from it.  For a guy some guys having to cut them you can live with that hit because it's not that big but when you are talking a star QB that money can sometimes prevent you from cutting a guy.  It's why we had to cut Peyton when we did because we pretty much ad an opt out clause to protect us.  If we waited the money would have been set up in such a way that cutting him was near imposable. 

Now I don't think we are going to plan on releasing Luck but as we saw with Peyton things happen.  In Peyton's case it happened in one year.  All kinds of things can and will change over 10.