Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets talk about our WR core

Nesjan3

I'm going to play devils advocate here and just throw out some scenario's that I believe will happen.

- Reggie retires next year (this is his final season under contract I believe)

Reggie has nothing left to prove in my opinion and I think he hangs them up after next season

- Nicks is paid by the Colts next year to take over for Reggie, after a good season this year

I look for Nicks to put up a solid season next year. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets close to 1000 yards, which I believe will be enough for the Colts to give him the nod for a couple more years after that.

- TY and Fleener are both traded next year for extra draft picks

I know I will get heat for this but everyone keeps talking about trading Brazill, why? He's not going to net the Colts anything, and as others have said, when given the opportunity he has played well. I think the Colts need to get quality in return if they are looking to trade a WR and that's TY. TY could easily land us a 2nd round pick, if not a 1st if he has another good year this year. That draft class alone could kill the Colts cap, and I believe Luck and Allen are worth the money, however I think TY could be replaced and I would sell now - 2015 - with his stock being so high. Fleener, with another decent year, could probably net us a 4th, maybe a 3rd depending on how much he improves on last year. I know it's a loss from where we initially got him but if we get a high pick out of TY, it's a wash.

- Moncrief and Rogers, along with Nicks, become the starting WR's with Brazill backing them up (2015)

I believe these 4 guys are the future for the Colts in the coming years. A great mix of size and speed, which could help tremendously in the run game. These guys along with Allen will give Luck some huge targets for a good portion of his career.

Again, these are just some scenario's that I believe will happen.

Lol

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i say keep both..with reggie and nicks probably gone next season...we're gonna need them both...just send one to the PS for this season

I think the only player who would be Practice Squad eligible is Moncrief.   And that's not going to happen.

I don't think either Rogers, or Brazil, or Whalen are PS eligible.   And even if they were,  odds are they'd be claimed by another team and we'd lose them for nothing.   

NOTE:   After posting, I see that others came along before me saying roughly the same thing I did.   Sorry for the duplication.

We have plenty of big play guys. We need a chain mover especially with Wayne coming off the injury.

Besides Wayne, who is a chain mover....   so is Nicks...  so is Allen....    so is Fleener....   so is TRich...   so are all of our WR's....

We've got plenty of guys to move chains.     We really do have a very diversified and balanced wide receiver group....

No worries here....

I was with you on the first two points, up until the TY and Fleener thing, all I could do was laugh after that

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge TY supporter and would love to see him stay a Colt for a long time, but I believe he along with Fleener are expendable. Obviously anyone outside of Luck is expendable, however, I just see those two as being ones we could get a decent return on with future draft picks without it being a detriment to the team, play/cap-wise. Fleener probably won't hit us hard cap-wise, but TY may end up hitting an "economic ceiling" that we may not be able to match, or want to match. If that's the case, the last thing I would want to see happen for the Colts is him to walk with the Colts getting nothing in return, with the exception of his play here.

Wr 1 - Wayne, Moncrief

Wr 2 - Nicks, Rogers

Slot. - Hilton, Brazil

P.S. - Whalen, Thomas

Wayne - he's a lock, it's Reggie freakin Wayne. He's one of the greatest receivers we have ever had of coarse he's makeing the team

Nicks - the former 1st round pick has shown so much promise in his early years but 2 injury filled season in a row has surrounded him in question marks, if he can show he can stay healthy he will be big for us.

Hilton - the young guy has shown he has speed and hands which is a dangerous combo he has much promise for years to come.

Moncrief - the guy was our 3rd round pick and was high on our GM's draft board, he must see something in this young speedster that could provide a great future. though his route running ability is still a question mark. i see him not makeing an impact unless there is an injury to our starting 3

Rogers - I would say he is this teams golden boy, a true come back story. He was able to come on to this team as a undrated FA. And start at the end of the season. His maturity is a question consitering his past drug abuse. Is he can keep him self out of trouble and continue growing he's a shoe in for this roster.

Brazil - he has shown flashes late I the season and playoff, he has sure hands and ability to get open. He very well could be a starting receiver for many other teams but he could be pivotal when his name is called here, he has had a past suspension, if he can't get his act together he may be a "what if?" Story.

Whalen - as much as all of us would love to see him on the team, more than likely we will not carry 7 WRs. He would be a great player to keep on the P.S. And be available when he is needed. He has great hands and is open when needed. His down fall is his speed though. Sadly his max potential is a #4 Wr at best, this means he is available in 3rd down situations and can be relied on to get open.

Thomas - he is the unsung hero, not only has he broke Hilton's record, he is fast and has sure hands. He picked the wrong team to come to, his chances of making this team are slim to non, he may be a great reserve to have if we have 2 or more injury's to or WR corps. I would keep an eye on this kid because he may not do much for us but somewhere else he could make a big impact soon.

I like both Whalen and Brazill but Brazill has the physical attributes in a WR that is really hard to part ways with.

That's why receivers like Brazill are getting drafted and receivers like Whalen are UDFA's.

Thats no disrespect at all toward Whalen it's just the diference in upside or potential.

I agree and as far as Kick off and punt return Brazil can and has done that for us. His ceiling is higher than Whalen it's that simple.

Rogers is the one who better come in a have a great camp but I think we look to try to get something in return rather then just letting them go which would be Rogers or Brazil don't see Whalen having the same appeal but you never know.

I don't see Roger's as being the lock everyone else does. I see the high ceiling and potential but he needs to prove it. He has never been in a camp with the team he is going to have to prove it. In the end they will keep the 6 best players.

Wr 1 - Wayne, Moncrief

Wr 2 - Nicks, Rogers

Slot. - Hilton, Brazil

P.S. - Whalen, Thomas

Wayne - he's a lock, it's Reggie freakin Wayne. He's one of the greatest receivers we have ever had of coarse he's makeing the team

Nicks - the former 1st round pick has shown so much promise in his early years but 2 injury filled season in a row has surrounded him in question marks, if he can show he can stay healthy he will be big for us.

Hilton - the young guy has shown he has speed and hands which is a dangerous combo he has much promise for years to come.

Moncrief - the guy was our 3rd round pick and was high on our GM's draft board, he must see something in this young speedster that could provide a great future. though his route running ability is still a question mark. i see him not makeing an impact unless there is an injury to our starting 3

Rogers - I would say he is this teams golden boy, a true come back story. He was able to come on to this team as a undrated FA. And start at the end of the season. His maturity is a question consitering his past drug abuse. Is he can keep him self out of trouble and continue growing he's a shoe in for this roster.

Brazil - he has shown flashes late I the season and playoff, he has sure hands and ability to get open. He very well could be a starting receiver for many other teams but he could be pivotal when his name is called here, he has had a past suspension, if he can't get his act together he may be a "what if?" Story.

Whalen - as much as all of us would love to see him on the team, more than likely we will not carry 7 WRs. He would be a great player to keep on the P.S. And be available when he is needed. He has great hands and is open when needed. His down fall is his speed though. Sadly his max potential is a #4 Wr at best, this means he is available in 3rd down situations and can be relied on to get open.

Thomas - he is the unsung hero, not only has he broke Hilton's record, he is fast and has sure hands. He picked the wrong team to come to, his chances of making this team are slim to non, he may be a great reserve to have if we have 2 or more injury's to or WR corps. I would keep an eye on this kid because he may not do much for us but somewhere else he could make a big impact soon.

Thomas is the only one we can carry on the PS that is an advantage technically Moncrief too but come on

Whalen can't go on ps dude

either whalen or brazill, but I'm a pretty big whalen fan, and although I don't dislike brazil, I see way more potential in whalen.

How do you see way more potential in Whalen? Brazil could end up being a larger version of TY he is 5'11" 192 and been clocked as fast as 4.37

I'm going to play devils advocate here and just throw out some scenario's that I believe will happen.

Reggie has nothing left to prove in my opinion and I think he hangs them up after next season

- Nicks is paid by the Colts next year to take over for Reggie, after a good season this year

I look for Nicks to put up a solid season next year. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets close to 1000 yards, which I believe will be enough for the Colts to give him the nod for a couple more years after that.

I know I will get heat for this but everyone keeps talking about trading Brazill, why? He's not going to net the Colts anything, and as others have said, when given the opportunity he has played well. I think the Colts need to get quality in return if they are looking to trade a WR and that's TY. TY could easily land us a 2nd round pick, if not a 1st if he has another good year this year. That draft class alone could kill the Colts cap, and I believe Luck and Allen are worth the money, however I think TY could be replaced and I would sell now - 2015 - with his stock being so high. Fleener, with another decent year, could probably net us a 4th, maybe a 3rd depending on how much he improves on last year. I know it's a loss from where we initially got him but if we get a high pick out of TY, it's a wash.

- Moncrief and Rogers, along with Nicks, become the starting WR's with Brazill backing them up (2015)

I believe these 4 guys are the future for the Colts in the coming years. A great mix of size and speed, which could help tremendously in the run game. These guys along with Allen will give Luck some huge targets for a good portion of his career.

We'll have the money to resign all of those guys from the 2012 class. This is why we didn't sign too many players this offseason. Grigson was thinking about the future when he made the moves. He even stated it

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge TY supporter and would love to see him stay a Colt for a long time, but I believe he along with Fleener are expendable. Obviously anyone outside of Luck is expendable, however, I just see those two as being ones we could get a decent return on with future draft picks without it being a detriment to the team, play/cap-wise. Fleener probably won't hit us hard cap-wise, but TY may end up hitting an "economic ceiling" that we may not be able to match, or want to match. If that's the case, the last thing I would want to see happen for the Colts is him to walk with the Colts getting nothing in return, with the exception of his play here.

Grigs traded up to get him in the 3rd he really stepped up when Reggie went down had 224 yards 3rd most in playoff history vs KC. He has speed to burn can score just about anytime he touches the ball you think he is expendable.  He had 860 yards his rookie year then 1,083 last year while having a score of 70+ yards both years. Notice a pattern? He is arguably our best WR and you don't think he is worth keeping(the definition of expendable).

You don't think it would be a detriment to the team not have TY Hilton next year? Or Fleener for that matter. I wonder what #12 would say about that.

I like Rogers as much as anyone and love his potential key word potential. But that is nuts. Next yr you want to roll with  Moncrief who hasn't even played a down in the NFL and an undrafted FA that had one big game and a great catch and Nicks who is on a prove it contract because his play has slipped so much. While trading our expendable WR who looks like he could be a star in this league for the foreseeable future. I am not on board with that at all. I don't think Grigs will be moving in that direction either. 

WR's usually take a little time to develop I think you are way off on Hilton you don't trade a guy like that unless he is unreasonable with contract demands don't see that being the case with TY could be wrong but I think he likes being a Colt and I think Grigs understands his value to the team. I think you vastly undervalue him as a player OH we will just go grab another guy with 4.3 speed who can ball like TY no big deal. Really?   

This is a tricky one, its a problem but its a problem several teams in the league would love to have! especially the Browns! haha I think its going to come down to what the coaches  covet more... do they want a big play guy or do they want a chain mover? I guess it all hinges on the form of the other receivers!

This is a tricky one, its a problem but its a problem several teams in the league would love to have! especially the Browns! haha I think its going to come down to what the coaches  covet more... do they want a big play guy or do they want a chain mover? I guess it all hinges on the form of the other receivers!

If 87 is back and Nicks is himself we have chain movers. I really think Brazil is ready to take a big jump in his play to a place Whalen can't get too. It will be a fun camp

Grigs traded up to get him in the 3rd he really stepped up when Reggie went down had 224 yards 3rd most in playoff history vs KC. He has speed to burn can score just about anytime he touches the ball you think he is expendable.  He had 860 yards his rookie year then 1,083 last year while having a score of 70+ yards both years. Notice a pattern? He is arguably our best WR and you don't think he is worth keeping(the definition of expendable).

You don't think it would be a detriment to the team not have TY Hilton next year? Or Fleener for that matter. I wonder what #12 would say about that.

I like Rogers as much as anyone and love his potential key word potential. But that is nuts. Next yr you want to roll with  Moncrief who hasn't even played a down in the NFL and an undrafted FA that had one big game and a great catch and Nicks who is on a prove it contract because his play has slipped so much. While trading our expendable WR who looks like he could be a star in this league for the foreseeable future. I am not on board with that at all. I don't think Grigs will be moving in that direction either. 

WR's usually take a little time to develop I think you are way off on Hilton you don't trade a guy like that unless he is unreasonable with contract demands don't see that being the case with TY could be wrong but I think he likes being a Colt and I think Grigs understands his value to the team. I think you vastly undervalue him as a player OH we will just go grab another guy with 4.3 speed who can ball like TY no big deal. Really?   

You do realize I was talking about 2015, and not this year?

Did you question Irsay when he decided it was time to move on from Peyton? It's still a business at the end of the day and the attachments/emotions have to sit this one out. I thought Irsay did the right thing, however, I don't like that the Colts didn't get anything out of letting Peyton go. I believe we DO have guys that can fill in for TY. Yes, based off of potential alone, but isn't that what we had in TY in the beginning? Potential? TY is an exceptional player, and I stated that in the post you quoted - to some degree. Now, ofcourse, TY taking part in these scenarios is all based on Nicks, Rogers, and Brazill stepping up and showing they are capable of handling their own, with Moncrief taking the necessary steps as well. Now, as I stated in my original post that I was merely playing devil's advocate, my proposed beliefs are based off those guys ALL playing well, which to say is it possible? Yes, but likely? I doubt it. I'm merely gambling on a huge underdog to shock the world against something I really do like. If it doesn't happen, then it still works out because we win either way.

I should have edited my original post to say "...believe could happen" instead of "...believe will happen".

I hear what you are saying about TY's trade value, but I just dont see it happening. You are putting a lot of faith into Moncrief and Rogers just suddenly up and developing. I know TY did it, but that is because he is a special kid. Who knows if Moncrief or Rogers will ever come good? I just dont see trading away a proven talent who is so young.

Personally I think we keep 6 WR's... Reggie will probably retire, Nicks is unpredictable, Allen is a beast, but coming back off of season ending injury. Its too volatile a situation to trade away the talent of TY and Fleener because the depth at those positions behind them, on paper looks great, but in reality it could all crumble away very easily.

Besides Wayne, who is a chain mover.... so is Nicks... so is Allen.... so is Fleener.... so is TRich... so are all of our WR's....

We've got plenty of guys to move chains. We really do have a very diversified and balanced wide receiver group....

No worries here....

Actually NIcks is more of deep threat, and we only saw Brazill and Rogers catch long passes or screens. Of course every TE is a chain mover. I just believe Griff has more value and I'd even go as far as more potential than Brazil.

reggie has 1 , 2 years tops left  nicks has 1 year No gaurantee he comes back  then wed have ty rogers brazil mocreif & whalen im not to excited about that   with that said   i beleive brazil is better then whalen cant go with the alum connection all the time if we ran 6 id go with brazil & put whalen on practice squad incase of an injury

wayne nicks hilton moncrief rogers & brazil   rogers had a few stand out moments  but not completely sold on him either  thats why u hold on to whalen

What the french? 

AHr1Enx.gif

Reggie - You have to wonder what Reggie has left in the tank. After a serious knee injury at his age,  you have to wonder how effective he will be. 

Nicks- Cannot stay healthy, but man is he good when he is. With that said, he hasn't played a full season in his entire career and has had 3 touchdowns in the past 2 seasons combined.

Hilton - Healthy nicks and wayne will help free him up, he got a lot of attention at the end of last season.

Moncrief - Rookie with #1 potential. 

Looks great on paper, even if you don't get much out of Nicks.  

Actually NIcks is more of deep threat, and we only saw Brazill and Rogers catch long passes or screens. Of course every TE is a chain mover. I just believe Griff has more value and I'd even go as far as more potential than Brazil.

I know Nicks is more of a deep threat, but he can be a chain mover when he needs to be.    The sample size for Brazil and Rogers is too small to know anything for sure, but on balance, I'd agree, the strength of their game is going deep.    

And while Griff is very much a chain mover, his problem is that he's primarily good against zone defenses where he goes to a spot and catches a pass.      But when the Colts are playing a team that plays man coverage,  Griff struggles.   Opposing teams will have little trouble taking him out of the game.    His ability to separate against man coverage is (and I'll be generous)  not great.

With 7 roster worthy WR targets, pre-season games are going to be fascinating to watch....... 

I know Nicks is more of a deep threat, but he can be a chain mover when he needs to be. The sample size for Brazil and Rogers is too small to know anything for sure, but on balance, I'd agree, the strength of their game is going deep.

And while Griff is very much a chain mover, his problem is that he's primarily good against zone defenses where he goes to a spot and catches a pass. But when the Colts are playing a team that plays man coverage, Griff struggles. Opposing teams will have little trouble taking him out of the game. His ability to separate against man coverage is (and I'll be generous) not great.

With 7 roster worthy WR targets, pre-season games are going to be fascinating to watch.......

That is something I'm hoping he is getting better at with Reggie. Having some sharpness on his routes and working on his separation skills.

Did you question Irsay when he decided it was time to move on from Peyton? It's still a business at the end of the day and the attachments/emotions have to sit this one out. I thought Irsay did the right thing, however, I don't like that the Colts didn't get anything out of letting Peyton go. I believe we DO have guys that can fill in for TY. Yes, based off of potential alone, but isn't that what we had in TY in the beginning? Potential? TY is an exceptional player, and I stated that in the post you quoted - to some degree. Now, ofcourse, TY taking part in these scenarios is all based on Nicks, Rogers, and Brazill stepping up and showing they are capable of handling their own, with Moncrief taking the necessary steps as well. Now, as I stated in my original post that I was merely playing devil's advocate, my proposed beliefs are based off those guys ALL playing well, which to say is it possible? Yes, but likely? I doubt it. I'm merely gambling on a huge underdog to shock the world against something I really do like. If it doesn't happen, then it still works out because we win either way.

I should have edited my original post to say "...believe could happen" instead of "...believe will happen".

Yes I know what year you are talking about I said so next year you want to roll with.... Do you realize this is 2014?

and yet he cant throw the deep ball to wallace

He can throw a deep ball to Wallace... Your really don't know what your talking about, do you? Tannehill had the strongest arm in the 2012 draft. That was one of his highest selling points to be a top 10 draft pick

He can throw a deep ball to Wallace... Your really don't know what your talking about, do you? Tannehill had the strongest arm in the 2012 draft. That was one of his highest selling points to be a top 10 draft pick

I had wallace on my fantasy team. he couldnt get him the ball. if you really think he has a bigger arm then luck and cam then you dont know what you're talking about

The real question is do you realize TY Hilton is more an exception to the rule than the norm? That  most WR's don't take the league by storm it takes time to develop them usually they really get going year 3 that is why I keep saying I think Brazil will make a huge leap this year.

Then to compare trading Manning to trading TY is even more ridiculous Manning was 36 and coming off of neck surgery jis careere was in jeopardy and we had Luck coming and we knew it. TY is perfectly healthy and has his best years ahead. I am glad Grigs is in charge.

I don't see how any who watches football and understands player development could think that trading TY is a good idea. We have no idea what Moncrief can do and have seen very little from Rogers. I realize you are talking about next year yes when both will essentially be second year players. I guess if they both leap frog the WR's in front of them and get a lot of playing time and prove they can be...... come on  

I had wallace on my fantasy team. he couldnt get him the ball. if you really think he has a bigger arm then luck and cam then you dont know what you're talking about

Your fantasy team? Well that settles it, he must have a weak arm.... lmao

Wallace is a one trick pony. Give me a guy like Reggie all day. Moving the chains wins games

Here's some interesting info regarding the receivers. Please note that these numbers are based on last year's performance, with Nicks' numbers coming from his performance with the Giants. What I would like to point out is that many of us talk about Whalen's lack of speed. The info below would indicate that we are using Whalen appropriately to his strengths. He is much quicker than he is fast, and we are asking for him to run short, precise routes to get open-- mostly within 10 yards from the LOS. He's definitely a good " move the chains" receiver. 

WRaDot-1024x206.jpg

Also, here are some advanced statistics regarding Whalen and Brazill:

DVOA                   (Brazill -30.2)    <  (Whalen -2.7)

DYAR                   (Brazill  -37)      <  (Whalen +32)

PFF Grade           (Brazill -.8)        <  (Whalen +5)

WPA                     (Brazill  +.03)    <  (Whalen +.12)

QB Rating             (Brazill 78.9)     <  (Whalen 98.1)  Luck's rating when throwing to each receiver.

Drop Rate             (Brazill 7.69)  =    (Whalen 7.69)

Yrds/ route run     (Brazill .88)       <  (Whalen 1.39)

YAC                      (Brazill 4.5)       <  (Whalen 4.8)  

Whalen has outperformed Brazill in every way thus far. Although Brazill has a lot of potential, all Whalen does is ball out!

Football is not fantasy... Tannehill is ranked 5th in the nfl based on arm strength. He is behind jay cutler. Your fantasy team has nothing to do with his arm strength but nice try!

and where did you get that ranking

Your fantasy team? Well that settles it, he must have a weak arm.... lmao

Wallace is a one trick pony. Give me a guy like Reggie all day. Moving the chains wins games

and one proof do you have to justify tannerhill has a bigger arm then luck and cam

and one proof do you have to justify tannerhill has a bigger arm then luck and cam

I never said he has a bigger arm, i said his arm strength wasn't the problem. Wallace was covered all season. If he could go across the middle he would have had a much better year.