Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

59- Joel Bitonio OT/G was a left tackle at Nevada but is projected as a guard with the ability to play all five positions across the line. He also posted the best 10- and 20-yard splits of any offensive lineman at the combine.

90 Trade with Baltimore get their pick at 99 and 138

99 Antone Exum CB 6"0 213 although he played all over the back end. I see a big, strong cornerback with appealing size, field speed and press-coverage ability. He did have the ACL injury playing bball that he was just returning from last year probably the only reason he is here at 99. He has proclaimed himself the best corner in the draft so no lack of confidence.

138 trade down with Miami for 155 and 190

155 Tyler Starr OLB The appeal with Starr is that he’s a jack of all trades. He can bring something on the pass rush, in run support and pass coverage.His agility and quickness would be weapons defending the tight ends and running backs, while his power and explosiveness would make him dangerous defending the run or blitzing.

166 Jonathan Dowling S Started his career at Florida end up in Lord Meyer's doghouse transferred to WKU. In his two years at WKU he was responsible for 18 turn overs the kid is a turnover machine. His is the epitome of boom or bust lets just hope he booms because he is a game changer.

190 Dontae Johnson CB/S   Good balance and athleticism. Can run with tight ends in coverage. Good zone awareness. Efficient plant-and-drive. Nice length to compete in the air. Sets a hard edge as a force player -- works to get off blocks, throws his weight around and tackles aggressively. Has played safety, cornerback, nickel and special teams. Smart and hardworking.

203 Russell Bodine C/OG Bodine possesses the short, squatty and powerful frame so conducive to interior offensive line play and led all participants at the combine with 42 reps on the bench. Bodine uses this power and an aggressive mentality to drive defenders off the ball but isn't particularly nimble making him best suited for RG. He played the  last 2 years at C for UNC.

232 Jay Bromley DT Tall, well-built frame with some upper body bulk. Good length with strong hands to finish once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Quick first step to win with initial burst to force the issue. Strong momentum to attack gaps, creating holding calls. Controls the line of scrimmage with upper body strength and handles blockers well at the point, not easily redirected. Good pursuit speed to chase down ballcarriers from behind. Takes well to coaching with strong preparation habits

I took some chances on guys I think can make a difference like Exum. Starr and Dowling. I traded back a lot too. I think that is the way to play this draft drop back there is a lot ot talent.

An interesting Mock.    Any mock with trades catches my eye.

But,  here's the problem.....

The first trade,  trading pick 90 for 99 & 138 is illegal by NFL rules.    99 and 138 are compensatory picks and for whatever reason, the NFL decided that compensatory picks can not be traded.    Under any circumstances.    So, you can't do that deal.

By the way,  if you could, that trade would work,  the points match-up exactly.

But the your 2nd trade (which is also illegal because 138 is a comp pick) wouldn't work because the points are way off.....

Either way......   an interesting effort....    a shame the NFL won't allow it.

The first trade,  trading pick 90 for 99 & 138 is illegal by NFL rules.    99 and 138 are compensatory picks and for whatever reason, the NFL decided that compensatory picks can not be traded.    Under any circumstances.    So, you can't do that deal.

But the your 2nd trade (which is also illegal because 138 is a comp pick) wouldn't work because the points are way off.....

Details; Details...There's always somebody in the group that has to point out proper protocol & "following the rules"...Just Kidding NCF! In all seriousness, I do appreciate when people point out flaws or rule infractions that SW1 the anti-draft guru is not even aware of. I need all the help I can get in this area. LOL! Nice work NCF.  :thmup:

I like your mock draft too akcolt except for 1 thing: As Nobody & Gabriel correctly pointed out, we need a quality safety drafted early for the Colts. A quality mock otherwise though. 

We have to get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd. I want to see safety in the 2nd, then either CB, or OLB in the 3rd depending on who is on the board.

I disagree. Exum, Johnson and Dowling can all play our SS role, and could potentially start right away.

I'd rather not draft a lineman at #59, and I don't think Bitonio will be available, but he's a good player who gives us depth along the interior. I like Tyler Starr, but feel he's overdrafted; he should be there in the 6th or 7th, and might go UDFA. I also like Bodine and Bromley. I like this mock, aside from Bitonio.

But, as NCF so accurately pointed out, the trades don't work. So it's all moot. OP should take another stab at his "final mock," I think.

Yup.

The whole point of the compensatory system is to promote parity. It doesn't necessarily always work that way, but the goal is to give teams compensation for losing players in free agency. I don't know why that means you shouldn't be able to use your comp picks to move up in the draft as you see fit.

Lol and I was going to come in here to write "How did I know you'd have Buchanan?"

I like your picks except that we ignore safety

there are 3 guys that can play S Dowling has the potential to be special if his attitude is right. Don't think any of the top 4 S are going to still be there. After that I see a steep drop off if we are going BAP plus I think Howell is better than the board.

I disagree. Exum, Johnson and Dowling can all play our SS role, and could potentially start right away.

I'd rather not draft a lineman at #59, and I don't think Bitonio will be available, but he's a good player who gives us depth along the interior. I like Tyler Starr, but feel he's overdrafted; he should be there in the 6th or 7th, and might go UDFA. I also like Bodine and Bromley. I like this mock, aside I from Bitonio.

But, as NCF so accurately pointed out, the trades don't work. So it's all moot. OP should take another stab at his "final mock," I think.

That was what I thought maybe I went overboard on the back end I just think that is where a lot of the talent in this draft is and it is a place we could use depth with the way the league is shifting all teams need depth. I would hope Exum would eventually play Corner

We have to address O Line Bitonio can play all across it and Bodine C/G. I agree with Starr but he has gained momentum  like you said the trades don't work blow it up. I am done with Mocks for a minute hopefully I can make it to Friday.

Details; Details...There's always somebody in the group that has to point out proper protocol & "following the rules"...Just Kidding NCF! In all seriousness, I do appreciate when people point out flaws or rule infractions that SW1 the anti-draft guru is not even aware of. I need all the help I can get in this area. LOL! Nice work NCF.  :thmup:

I like your mock draft too akcolt except for 1 thing: As Nobody & Gabriel correctly pointed out, we need a quality safety drafted early for the Colts. A quality mock otherwise though. 

You can't draft what is not there if I thought Ward or Bucannon would be there I would have jumped on them ask Gabriel he knows I would be the first to buy a Bucannon jersey if the colts got him

You can't draft what is not there if I thought Ward or Bucannon would be there I would have jumped on them ask Gabriel he knows I would be the first to buy a Bucannon jersey if the colts got him

No argument there akcolt. There is an art to draft selection & I agree that reaching too early for a safety is not a wise move. Draft day is almost a living breathing organism always adapting, changing, & in a constant state of flux. I can only evaluate how players perform in our system once they make the permanent roster.

I have no real authority to critique the caliber of men Grigs picks for INDY. I leave the screening process up to smarter members than me on this site that I trust. No need to name them individually at this point. You know who you are. Enough said. 

Love it! I am a huge fan of Bitonio, he would be a great addition to the o-line. Versatile lineman. I just hope he drops to 59. Bodine could surprise, but more importantly we are adding depth and competition on the interior of the line.

I also love Exum. He has the potential to be a great safety. I don't feel that Johnson will fall that far, but it's possible. Good depth for the secondary though.

Not sure about Starr though. My understanding is that he is slow, but you never know. I am a fan of Howard Jones as a late round pick personally. He seems to have tremendous potential to me. I would love to have him learn behind Mathis for a year.

I would be very happy with this draft.

No argument there akcolt. There is an art to draft selection & I agree that reaching too early for a safety is not a wise move. Draft day is almost a living breathing organism always adapting, changing, & in a constant state of flux. I can only evaluate how players perform in our system once they make the permanent roster.

I have no real authority to critique the caliber of men Grigs picks for INDY. I leave the screening process up to smarter members than me on this site that I trust. No need to name them individually at this point. You know who you are. Enough said. 

Very good point that you make here. All any of us fans have access to is the combine numbers and scouting reports that are made available to us. Perhaps the most important aspect to the draft is the interview process and the research each team does on a prospect. We have no idea how all of that is being played out.

Bad news..........

The latest projections have russell bodine (whom i also like) going in the 3rd-early 4th. That's unfortunate, because he's worthy of a 5th, but as a 3rd,...i'll pass. I mocked conor boffeli instead (torn between dallas lee and boffeli).