Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeremiah Attaochu -- Best pass rusher I've watched this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1xnbd9o_k

Excellent demonstration here

Thanks.

In your opinion, if an OLB had narrow enough hips to turn and run to shadow the TE or RB effectively, could he also be stout enough to set the edge?   

It seems to me those skills tend to require slightly different body types, so he would probably have to be good at one or the other. 

For the SAM, the duties performed are:  set the edge, pass rush, and shadow; probably in that priority?  It just seems like the physique needed to do all three very well would be pretty special, like top 15-20 pick special.

Perhaps their are good examples of someone who does all three duties well on other NFL teams.  I don't really know.

I haven't watched him recently. Watched one game of his a couple months ago and felt like he was more of a zone prospect because of how he plays the ball (or rather, doesn't play the ball; kind of reminded me of Cassius Vaughn in that regard). 

I only watched one or two videos of Breeland but I thought he was more physical than SJB.  Also, it looked to me like he was playing mostly press man but I may have been slightly inebriated at the time and like I said, I only watched one or two vids so I'll try to catch more of him, McGill, SJB and a couple of the others.  

So far though, of what I have watched, McGill, Breeland and Jaylen Watkins are the CB's I liked best.  Again though, that's with limited viewing of each.

Agree on Hageman. Moncrief I also have on my list but I think there will be better players available at 59 though I really like him. Agree on Landry to actually, Solid route runner, good hands but questioonable deep speed

Mathews had a 10% drop rate. Scary for a college player who is open a lot.

WR early in this draft makes little to NO sense. Not that it can`t happen! :)

Thanks.

In your opinion, if an OLB had narrow enough hips to turn and run to shadow the TE or RB effectively, could he also be stout enough to set the edge?   

It seems to me those skills tend to require slightly different body types, so he would probably have to be good at one or the other. 

For the SAM, the duties performed are:  set the edge, pass rush, and shadow; probably in that priority?  It just seems like the physique needed to do all three very well would be pretty special, like top 15-20 pick special.

Perhaps their are good examples of someone who does all three duties well on other NFL teams.  I don't really know.

"In your opinion, if an OLB had narrow enough hips to turn and run to shadow the TE or RB effectively, could he also be stout enough to set the edge?" 

If he has good core strength, had discipliine, Long arms help to in my opinion, In the Colts defense the Sam Backers first responsibility is to set the edge, I'd have to go through alot of tape to see who does it well, I could name some players but I dont want to be wrong

I'd totally be okay if we drafted Attaochu with our 2nd round pick.  I like him a lot, but I worry he won't be there with our pick.

I think it may even be worth trading up a couple spots to get him.  Very athletic, plays with passion, nimble and quick.  Love the 4.5 speed.  He or Van Noy from BYU would be solid pick ups. I'm okay with Jeffcoat but there's a couple other guys I'd take over him that I haven't listed.

I think Marcus Smith is an explosive prospect, but I don't really think he'll be available when we pick and I also think from everything I saw on film that he's best used in a 4-3 as a DE. I don't have any evidence to say he couldn't make the transition to our scheme but I didn't even see him doing some of the drops into coverage that even Werner did in college.  It seemed to me he did more of what Mathis used to do in the Tampa 2.  Maybe I'll change my mind after watching a couple more videos....

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 30, 2014 - duplicate
Hidden by Superman, March 30, 2014 - duplicate

I think Marcus Smith is an explosive prospect, but I don't really think he'll be available when we pick and I also think from everything I saw on film that he's best used in a 4-3. I don't have any evidence to say he couldn't make the transition to our scheme but I didn't even see him doing some of the drops into coverage  and rushing from a stand up position that even Werner did in college.  It seemed to me he did more of what Mathis used to do in the Tampa 2.  Maybe I'll change my mind after watching a couple more videos....

I think Marcus Smith is an explosive prospect, but I don't really think he'll be available when we pick and I also think from everything I saw on film that he's best used in a 4-3. I don't have any evidence to say he couldn't make the transition to our scheme but I didn't even see him doing some of the drops into coverage  and rushing from a stand up position that even Werner did in college.  It seemed to me he did more of what Mathis used to do in the Tampa 2.  Maybe I'll change my mind after watching a couple more videos....

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-smith-vs-usf-2013/

Marcus Smith can do it all well.

I think Marcus Smith is an explosive prospect, but I don't really think he'll be available when we pick and I also think from everything I saw on film that he's best used in a 4-3 as a DE. I don't have any evidence to say he couldn't make the transition to our scheme but I didn't even see him doing some of the drops into coverage that even Werner did in college.  It seemed to me he did more of what Mathis used to do in the Tampa 2.  Maybe I'll change my mind after watching a couple more videos....

Smith does a lot in coverage. He's basically what we call the Sam backer. I feel more confident about him in coverage than Attaochu, based on his experience. And he's just as athletic, but I think Attaochu is a better pass rusher. I think I'd be fine with either at #59.

Smith does a lot in coverage. He's basically what we call the Sam backer. I feel more confident about him in coverage than Attaochu, based on his experience. And he's just as athletic, but I think Attaochu is a better pass rusher. I think I'd be fine with either at #59.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing Attaochu ranked very highly....   a high 2nd round pick type of guy.   Scouts are seeing the same thing you are.    Great pass rusher.    Better yet, he's still learning the game so his upside is considerable.

Not sure he falls all the way to 59.    Would love it if it happens,  but I'm not counting on it....

For what it's worth, I'm seeing Attaochu ranked very highly....   a high 2nd round pick type of guy.   Scouts are seeing the same thing you are.    Great pass rusher.    Better yet, he's still learning the game so his upside is considerable.

Not sure he falls all the way to 59.    Would love it if it happens,  but I'm not counting on it....

Yeah, makes me wish the draft were this week, instead of a month away. The more time that goes by, the more the best prospects move up the board. There's plenty of talent in this draft, but as soon as I get started liking a guy, he starts moving out of our range.

Right now, it's looking like my original favorite will be there, and that's Kyle Van Noy. He's not as explosive a pass rusher as the guys we're talking about, nor is he as physical, but I think he could still play Sam/Mike hybrid for us.

I figured it out after watching more tape.  I'd be fine with him, Attaochu or Van Noy, I think they would all do well for us.  We may have to move up a couple spots to get Smith or Attaochu.  I think Van Noy will be there.

Yeah, makes me wish the draft were this week, instead of a month away. The more time that goes by, the more the best prospects move up the board. There's plenty of talent in this draft, but as soon as I get started liking a guy, he starts moving out of our range.

Right now, it's looking like my original favorite will be there, and that's Kyle Van Noy. He's not as explosive a pass rusher as the guys we're talking about, nor is he as physical, but I think he could still play Sam/Mike hybrid for us.

See Im trying to stay away from liking a few particular guys TO MUCH and to have no expectations this coming draft....Dont mean thats easy....Its certainly not....Takes alot of work for me to do that this time around because you know how I was last year and the year before...I was hooked....especially on Janoris Jenkins in 2012....and I do like several guys in this draft as I have posted about them but I have quit with the mocks because of that very reason, If I do mocks and I include some of those names then I get to wanting them to much which come April will lead to disappointment when chances are pretty good none of the guys I like will be drafted by Grigson,

See Im trying to stay away from liking a few particular guys TO MUCH and to have no expectations this coming draft....Dont mean thats easy....Its certainly not....Takes alot of work for me to do that this time around because you know how I was last year and the year before...I was hooked....especially on Janoris Jenkins in 2012....and I do like several guys in this draft as I have posted about them but I have quit with the mocks because of that very reason, If I do mocks and I include some of those names then I get to wanting them to much which come April will lead to disappointment when chances are pretty good none of the guys I like will be drafted by Grigson,

Yeah, I agree. I was mostly doing mocks because I wanted to get familiar with some prospects before workouts started. But when you start watching tape and reading evaluations, you inevitably start to develop favorites. 

I still think we'd be okay trading down, but I don't think it's in Grigson's DNA. I think he'd take his guy that everyone sees as being in the 80-100 range before he'd trade down. 

It's almost April. That means May is right around the corner, which means the draft is almost here. 

I think we need more depth at the Rush backer, so I like your idea in regards to Attaochu. 

I think between Walden and Werner we have enough depth at the Sam backer.  If we so me

how wound up with Smith I have confidence he could do either role.

Yeah, I agree. I was mostly doing mocks because I wanted to get familiar with some prospects before workouts started. But when you start watching tape and reading evaluations, you inevitably start to develop favorites. 

I still think we'd be okay trading down, but I don't think it's in Grigson's DNA. I think he'd take his guy that everyone sees as being in the 80-100 range before he'd trade down. 

It's almost April. That means May is right around the corner, which means the draft is almost here. 

Have you had the chance to go back and watch some of Costa or Louis? I did a brief evaluation on what I saw from Louis during his starts both at RT and RG...RG only in my opinion, Dont have the feet for RT.....moves well laterally for a Guard and vertically but when he gets to the 2nd level struggles to hit his target consistently....Lunges or overextends to much. Just my opinions of course. Serviceable backup RG...not someone I'd want starting do to what appears to be he is physically limited

Have you had the chance to go back and watch some of Costa or Louis? I did a brief evaluation on what I saw from Louis during his starts both at RT and RG...RG only in my opinion, Dont have the feet for RT.....moves well laterally for a Guard and vertically but when he gets to the 2nd level struggles to hit his target consistently....Lunges or overextends to much. Just my opinions of course. Serviceable backup RG...not someone I'd want starting do to what appears to be he is physically limited

Not yet. I'm still looking at college prospects. I probably won't look at those guys until well after the draft.

Not yet. I'm still looking at college prospects. I probably won't look at those guys until well after the draft.

Im looking through the IFL, Seeing as how the Colts have 70 men on the roster now and 5 draft picks that leaves 15 or so spots open

See for yourself: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jeremiah-attaochu/ The Clemson and Virginia videos are mind-blowing.

I'd love for us to draft him. He'd be a monster of a Rush backer behind Mathis, and he has the athleticism to drop into coverage, though he's not very experienced in that regard. He destroys OTs with top notch speed and a variety of moves. You'll hear analysts talk about speed-to-power, and that is embodied in Attaochu's pass rush.

He's more tentative against the run, but has long enough arms to shed blockers at the right time. Doesn't have the technique or discipline to contain and/or set the edge right now, but that will come with coaching. Can also get bigger and stronger, given his frame and youth (just turned 21). I think he'd be a bit of a waste at Sam, because he's such a good pass rusher, but he has the versatility to do it.

I'm adding him to my list of players that I'd draft at #59, rather than trade down (which is my preference at this point). 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011610-indianapolis-mock-draft-instant-contributors-the-colts-can-find-in-every-round/page/2 hes in this who we should take and we have a meeting with him next week according to this but atleast they looking at players like him 

Id be completely fine with drafting Attaochu in the late 2nd, early 3rd. I've said for awhile that Id like to see the Colts upgrade their pass rush by getting an athletic OLB to learn from Mathis and rotate in with Mathis, Werner, Walden.

With that said, here is my draft wishlist...

*Indy trades 59th pick to Denver for their 2nd, 4th round picks*

2nd(via trade)- OLB Jeremiah Attaochu

3rd- CB Stanley Jean Baptiste

4th(via trade)- SS Ahmad Dixon

5th- FS Kenny Ladler

6th- DT Deandre Coleman

7th- RB/WR Dri Archer

What do you think of Dee Ford?  I was looking over some small clips on him, seems pretty solid.

Do you think he'd still be available, and would it be worth it?

I don't think he'd be available when we pick. I think he'll go in the first round. And I think he's a pass rusher. He could play Rush backer for us, but he'd struggle in coverage if we asked him to play Sam, at least at first. He's a little smaller for 4-3 end, but he does a decent job in run containment. 

I haven't watched him in a while, because I don't think he's going to be in our range, but I would draft him if he was still there. 

I don't think he'd be available when we pick. I think he'll go in the first round. And I think he's a pass rusher. He could play Rush backer for us, but he'd struggle in coverage if we asked him to play Sam, at least at first. He's a little smaller for 4-3 end, but he does a decent job in run containment. 

I haven't watched him in a while, because I don't think he's going to be in our range, but I would draft him if he was still there. 

I had seen some lower projections on him, but I suppose a lot of that changed after the combine and the senior bowl.

I know we either had a private workout with him or attended his pro day.

My opinion of Attaochu has nothing to do with Werner. If we're comparing them, I absolutely think Attaochu is the better pass rusher, but that's not a reflection of Werner; it's a testament to how good Attaochu is at rushing the passer. He's also more athletic, but again, that's not pertinent to any evaluation of Werner.

Full disclosure: I was never that big a fan of drafting Werner, because I don't think he's explosive enough of a pass rusher, and he's not good enough in space. But he can rush the passer. He also has the body and technique to hold up against the run, even better than Attaochu. Once he started refining his technique and playing the proper angles, he looked good on run downs.

Using the word "bust" when discussing player after one season is usually not a good idea. Werner played like a first year DE trying to learn TWO new positions on the fly. Was drafted to play Rush backer, and wound up backing up the Rush and the Sam spot, which are very different positions. I think -- based on how he played, and not the number of games he started or his college experience -- that Werner was okay as a rookie. Not great, but I definitely wouldn't entertain "bust" talk.

One more thing: I mentioned in the OP that playing Attaochu at Sam would be a bit of a waste, though that would be his best position in our defense. He's just too dynamic of a pass rusher to have him dropping into coverage in passing situations. 

I'm not questioning your list or your assessment of attaochu but if he is that good how does he fall all the way to 59? I mean guys who are flexible with size and good speed and pass rushing abilities are players that every NFL team wants. I looked at some draft sites and see that some have him going early in the 2nd or mid 2nd so falling to 59 isn't out of the question but if he is as good as you say I think 59 could be a long shot.

As for Werner, I think Werner would have been a real nice fit in Tony Dungy's defense as a 3rd down pass rusher. That's not to say that in this defensive scheme that he can't be a good player but I think maybe when all is said and done he's a role player that they have to be creative about how he's used and where they line him up. JMO

I'm not questioning your list or your assessment of attaochu but if he is that good how does he fall all the way to 59? I mean guys who are flexible with size and good speed and pass rushing abilities are players that every NFL team wants. I looked at some draft sites and see that some have him going early in the 2nd or mid 2nd so falling to 59 isn't out of the question but if he is as good as you say I think 59 could be a long shot.

As for Werner, I think Werner would have been a real nice fit in Tony Dungy's defense as a 3rd down pass rusher. That's not to say that in this defensive scheme that he can't be a good player but I think maybe when all is said and done he's a role player that they have to be creative about how he's used and where they line him up. JMO

I don't know that Attaochu will be there, but if he is, he'd be a good pick for us.

You have to keep my comments in context: I'm a big advocate of trading down in this draft, if the players available at #59 aren't standout, wow-level type players who can either start or play significant snaps right away. So Attaochu is on my list of players that I would rather draft than trade down for. That list doesn't include any offensive linemen, no receivers, no backs, no TEs, no corners, obviously no QBs or specialists, no ILBs. This is all based on how the board looks right now, and my opinions of the players that I think will be available at #59. There are a lot of IFs. So IF Attaochu is there, I'd love to draft him. 

There are a couple reasons to think he MIGHT drop: 1) A lot of teams ahead of us will draft an offensive skill player -- QB, WR, RB, TE -- which might push good players at other positions further down the board; 2) Attaochu is kind of a tweener, since he's not proven in coverage as a backer, but he's also undersized as a DE. That probably restricts his appeal to teams running 3-4 / Hybrid fronts, at least in the first two rounds. (A similar prospect last year was Corey Lemonier, who got drafted in the third round. I think Attaochu is better, but it illustrates the point.)

Last thing, on Werner, he probably would be better as a pass rusher in a Tampa 2, but I think he has the tools to play Rush backer for us. It's going to be a tough transition, but he's a smart player, very coachable, he works hard... He showed improvement last year, and we pressed him into service backing up the Rush and Sam spots. I think he'll be okay.

I don't know that Attaochu will be there, but if he is, he'd be a good pick for us.

You have to keep my comments in context: I'm a big advocate of trading down in this draft, if the players available at #59 aren't standout, wow-level type players who can either start or play significant snaps right away. So Attaochu is on my list of players that I would rather draft than trade down for. That list doesn't include any offensive linemen, no receivers, no backs, no TEs, no corners, obviously no QBs or specialists, no ILBs. This is all based on how the board looks right now, and my opinions of the players that I think will be available at #59. There are a lot of IFs. So IF Attaochu is there, I'd love to draft him. 

There aren't any CB's you'd take at #59?  

There aren't any CB's you'd take at #59?  

Nope. Based on how I read the board today, I'd like to have SJB or Keith McGill, and they both seem to be in the 75-90 range. So I'd trade back and get one of them, or maybe even Pierre Desir, plus have a 4th and maybe an extra 6th.

There are a couple reasons to think he MIGHT drop: 1) A lot of teams ahead of us will draft an offensive skill player -- QB, WR, RB, TE -- which might push good players at other positions further down the board; 2) Attaochu is kind of a tweener, since he's not proven in coverage as a backer, but he's also undersized as a DE. That probably restricts his appeal to teams running 3-4 / Hybrid fronts, at least in the first two rounds. (A similar prospect last year was Corey Lemonier, who got drafted in the third round. I think Attaochu is better, but it illustrates the point.)

Last thing, on Werner, he probably would be better as a pass rusher in a Tampa 2, but I think he has the tools to play Rush backer for us. It's going to be a tough transition, but he's a smart player, very coachable, he works hard... He showed improvement last year, and we pressed him into service backing up the Rush and Sam spots. I think he'll be okay.

The more I read about him the better he looks. He certainly appears to be a guy who can make the transition to NFL OLB better than others and he gets good marks for everything from tackling, pass rush ability, coverage ability and shedding blocks.

Nope. Based on how I read the board today, I'd like to have SJB or Keith McGill, and they both seem to be in the 75-90 range. So I'd trade back and get one of them, or maybe even Pierre Desir, plus have a 4th and maybe an extra 6th.

fair enough.  I haven't kept up much this week with who has risen and who has fallen.  So based on your list, you only have pass rushers (de/olb), DL and safeties on your list to be picked at #59?  If that's the case then I pretty much agree, but I'm guessing the safety list for pick #59 is very short?

fair enough.  I haven't kept up much this week with who has risen and who has fallen.  So based on your list, you only have pass rushers (de/olb), DL and safeties on your list to be picked at #59?  If that's the case then I pretty much agree, but I'm guessing the safety list for pick #59 is very short?

Pretty much. 

And there's only a couple DL that I'd really want at #59, and none of them are likely to fall. Stephon Tuitt and Rashede Hagemen are likely late first or early second round picks. I'm not a big Will Sutton fan, personally. I think he's too sluggish at pro DL weight.

There's a couple of DE/OLB that I'd want. Van Noy, Smith, Attaochu... Guys like Bradford, Reilly, and a couple others, I think would be trade down candidates. Maybe even Van Noy, since his workouts weren't all that spectacular.

Just two safeties -- Jimmie Ward and Terrence Brooks.

This list is fluid, of course.

• 2 weeks later...