Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Sign Revis to one year 12 mil deal

amfootball

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spitballin' here but I'm pretty sure that if the Colts signed Darelle Revis, you'd be pretty pumped about it. Especially if Indy had just lost their best player at a very critical position in today's NFL. 

Revis' drama has always been contract-related, so what is he going to gripe about being on a one-year deal? If he wanted something long-term, it wouldn't be a $12M per. He knows that, and is willing to gamble on himself. Maybe he ends up being a one-year mercenary, I don't know. But it's looking like it'll be a fun year either way. 

Speculation indeed means nothing. That applies to both sides - speculating that everything will be hunky-dory, and speculating that Revis will create drama here in NE. 

Wouldn't you agree?  :thmup:

You too man?.

My comment was not on Revis signing. It was about she saying, how Revis will play all game and Tailb is drama. Where did i say Revis signing was bad?.

You too man?.

My comment was not on Revis signing. It was about she saying, how Revis will play all game and Tailb is drama. Where did i say Revis signing was bad?.

I must have missed both yours and AM's points then. Sort of seemed like you were doing the rain dance at the parade.  ;)

Talib's injury and off-the-field issues do carry more risk that Revis, even though the later is a year off an ACL. I would have been willing to look past the risk if Talib was retained, but the Broncos threw more money at him than any other team would have, I think. 

I must have missed both yours and AM's points then. Sort of seemed like you were doing the rain dance at the parade.  ;)

Talib's injury and off-the-field issues do carry more risk that Revis, even though the later is a year off an ACL. I would have been willing to look past the risk if Talib was retained, but the Broncos threw more money at him than any other team would have, I think. 

You sure did miss the comment i was responding to.

Broncos did throw a lot of money. Its a risk but i like the aggressive move. Polian would never do or did anything like this. 

If Pats land Browner, now Broncos and Pats are even. Would be another epic year coming up.

Broncos did throw a lot of money. Its a risk but i like the aggressive move. Polian would never do or did anything like this. 

If Pats land Browner, now Broncos and Pats are even. Would be another epic year coming up.

The scuttle here is that the Broncos offered Revis the same deal they gave Talib and he balked at the 9.5 mil per year. So when it became apparent that he was coming to NE they went after Talib. So if this is true, it was the Pats who were the ones making the Broncos react. Still don't know why they just didn't sign their own guy - DRC. Talib is probably better but what a price they paid for him.

The scuttle here is that the Broncos offered Revis the same deal they gave Talib and he balked at the 9.5 mil per year. So when it became apparent that he was coming to NE they went after Talib. So if this is true, it was the Pats who were the ones making the Broncos react. Still don't know why they just didn't sign their own guy - DRC. Talib is probably better but what a price they paid for him.

I think Broncos are looking for physicality over finesse which is the right thing to do. They should go after Steve Smith for a 1 year deal.

They got man handled.

Not really, my Patriots receiving corps is non existent.

They have D.Thomas, J.Thomas, Welker, Caldwell...

We have bunch of no names except Gronk. We can't even get Edelman to stay. Amendola has not lived up to his contract this past year with his injuries. 

I honestly think we should have done a better job trying to retain Edelman, he is the type of guy that will get you 70-80 receptions on a regular basis a year and we need guys like that to take off pressure from Gronk, we can't make Gronk do all the work...

Not really, my Patriots receiving corps is non existent.

They have D.Thomas, J.Thomas, Welker, Caldwell...

We have bunch of no names except Gronk. We can't even get Edelman to stay. Amendola has not lived up to his contract this past year with his injuries. 

I honestly think we should have done a better job trying to retain Edelman, he is the type of guy that will get you 70-80 receptions on a regular basis a year and we need guys like that to take off pressure from Gronk, we can't make Gronk do all the work...

You really think Edelman is gone?. I read somewhere he is working out with Tom in California.

Yeah, Amendola clearly isnt playing the way he was expected. He better step up. I am sure another year with Brady, Dobson and Kendrell gets better.

Honestly, i dont worry for Pats offense. Brady will make it work. The secondary was their weakness. Now it looks good.

The Revis signing I think is a steal for the Pats.  They get him for one year and didn't have to break the bank for him and it doesn't screw up their salary cap in the long term.  This deal makes more sense than the Broncos/Talib deal which I think they over spent and offered Talib too many years for an injury prone CB with off the field troubles and could cost them salary cap issues in the years to come.  I saw so many games where Talib was hobbling around.  I think that signing by the Broncos was more out of spite to take away a player from the Pats sort of like the Yankees signing Ellsbury away from the Red Sox.

With regards to Edelman, what team wins super bowls with short slot receivers?  Pats tried it and it didn't work.  Broncos tried it and it didn't work.  I hope the Pats let Edelman and Amendola go and go after Steve Smith and some other bigger WR's in the draft.

The Revis signing I think is a steal for the Pats. They get him for one year and didn't have to break the bank for him and it doesn't screw up their salary cap in the long term. This deal makes more sense than the Broncos/Talib deal which I think they over spent and offered Talib too many years for an injury prone CB with off the field troubles and could cost them salary cap issues in the years to come. I saw so many games where Talib was hobbling around. I think that signing by the Broncos was more out of spite to take away a player from the Pats sort of like the Yankees signing Ellsbury away from the Red Sox.

With regards to Edelman, what team wins super bowls with short slot receivers? Pats tried it and it didn't work. Broncos tried it and it didn't work. I hope the Pats let Edelman and Amendola go and go after Steve Smith and some other bigger WR's in the draft.

who is Seattles tallest receiver?

The Revis signing I think is a steal for the Pats.  They get him for one year and didn't have to break the bank for him and it doesn't screw up their salary cap in the long term.  This deal makes more sense than the Broncos/Talib deal which I think they over spent and offered Talib too many years for an injury prone CB with off the field troubles and could cost them salary cap issues in the years to come.  I saw so many games where Talib was hobbling around.  I think that signing by the Broncos was more out of spite to take away a player from the Pats sort of like the Yankees signing Ellsbury away from the Red Sox.

With regards to Edelman, what team wins super bowls with short slot receivers?  Pats tried it and it didn't work.  Broncos tried it and it didn't work.  I hope the Pats let Edelman and Amendola go and go after Steve Smith and some other bigger WR's in the draft.

The Pats have big receivers in Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins. I would like to see them target Smith if Edelman signs elsewhere. Amendola is fine and is not going anywhere. They also need another TE to replace Hernandez. Some good ones in the draft.

With regards to Edelman, what team wins super bowls with short slot receivers? 

The 2001 Patriots. David Patten and Troy Brown are both like 5'10".

Throw in the 2003/2004 Pats also, if you want. The only "big" receiver they had was Givens, and I think he was only around 6'. 

Big receivers help when you throw outside a lot. With the exception of 2007, Brady's always been at his best when he's carving up the middle of the field where these smaller, quicker guys get separation. 

Letting Edelman go, with his familiarity of the offense and considering the fact that Brady actually trusts him, would be a mistake. I'm hoping that they manage to get him back.

good point on the slot WR not winning the SBs but to get there well you do need them to move the chains in reg season.

Steve Smith would be SB caliber I agree. But still gotta get there

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/patriots_sign_cornerback_darrelle_revis.html

It is like Christmas here in NE! :rock:  :cheer2:  :cheer:

We got Revis and on a one year deal to boot! This makes the Talib deal look even worse given Elway gave the oft injured CB 26 mil guaranteed over 6 years while the Pats get Revis on alone year deal for 4 MIL less then he was making in TB. So good. Just so good. According to Rich Cimini, Revis wanted to come to NE as early as last season as he wanted to get back at the Jets. I love the drama. Jets fans are crying today and the Pats just took a huge step forward to getting back level with the Broncos. Need to add some WRs now and a pass rusher.

my how your opinion of a player is dependent to whether theyre on NE's roster, so much for objectivity

I don't know if they'll be a door mat, but if I were a Broncos fan I would not have much confidence in the way the future team is looking. Giving a 32 year old DE, coming off his worse year as a pro $10M a year, does not seem like a smart move. Giving a severely overrated CB, with poor character, injury history, and a tendency to disappear in big games $10M a year, does not seem like a smart move. Elway is not the GM the media makes him out to be. His strategy doesn't even work short-term, let alone long-term. 

If Miller or DT has to test FA next year, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at one of them.

^^^^^THIS. I agree with every single word of this post.

oh you do, because i thought u said this?

I think they will franchise him. The cap is supposed to increase this year so they will have the $$$. And you have to remember that they only paid him 5 mil this year which was probably the best FA signing of the off-season. So if they pay him the $10 mil this year then it is only 7.5 mil per year over two years which is still a steal for a CB of his talent.

The first few games Revis wasn't even playing man as he was not 100 percent from the knee.

Doesn't mean he isn't the number one or two corner in the game.

Shut down corner means you shut a receiver down.

That isn't the question or discussion. This year Talib played better for a lot less money than Revis. He was one of the best FA signings of the season. That was the basis of the discussion.

can we just admit youre not an objective poster? 

my how your opinion of a player is dependent to whether theyre on NE's roster, so much for objectivity

oh you do, because i thought u said this?

can we just admit youre not an objective poster? 

Where have you been? See your bogus signature is gone too. Bravo!

Was your new signature in English?

it means the arguement that brady is better than manning because he has more rings (which would ignore team play affecting outcomes of games rather than just one player winning and losing a game aka getting to the sb is a team effort) is now contradicted by those very people when they post excuses for their teams loss in the afccg see the "why is denver better than the patriots just because they beat them in their biggest game of the year thread"

btw nice edit first you asked what it meant, then asked if its in english, too bad you cant edit those other posts

it means the arguement that brady is better than manning because he has more rings (which would ignore team play affecting outcomes of games rather than just one player winning and losing a game aka getting to the sb is a team effort) is now contradicted by those very people when they post excuses for their teams loss in the afccg see the "why is denver better than the patriots just because they beat them in their biggest game of the year thread"

Why do you care so much what others think? Especially rival fans? I think the Pats/Denver thread is bogus but fans have a right to their opinion even if not based in fact. Just relax.

Why do you care so much what others think? Especially rival fans? I think the Pats/Denver thread is bogus but fans have a right to their opinion even if not based in fact. Just relax.

why do I care? did you see the first post i made in this thread  :woah:

is there a reason youre not responding to that post btw because you havent addressed it?

why do I care? did you see the first post i made in this thread  :woah:

is there a reason youre not responding to that post btw because you havent addressed it?

No, I have not read the whole thread and don't care too.

I will make this short and sweet. I wanted the Pats all along to sign Talib without knowing of course that Revis was even going to be on the market. I had said from the beginning that I wanted them to franchise Talib if they could not come to a multi-year agreement. To say I was frustrated when he went to Denver is an understatement UNTIL I saw the deal they signed him too. I would never had wanted the Pats to sign him to 26 mil guaranteed over six years because he is so injury-prone. And then when the Pats got Revis on a ONE year deal, well it became Christmas here in NE. I still question whether he can get back to his Jets form but TB did not utilize him well either making him play zone so I have to think Bill will do a better job. Anytime you can sign the CB that grades out #1 to a one year deal, you do it every time. Now they have also signed Browner which makes the NE secondary scary good.

No, I have not read the whole thread and don't care too.

I will make this short and sweet. I wanted the Pats all along to sign Talib without knowing of course that Revis was even going to be on the market. I had said from the beginning that I wanted them to franchise Talib if they could not come to a multi-year agreement. To say I was frustrated when he went to Denver is an understatement UNTIL I saw the deal they signed him too. I would never had wanted the Pats to sign him to 26 mil guaranteed over six years because he is so injury-prone. And then when the Pats got Revis on a ONE year deal, well it became Christmas here in NE. I still question whether he can get back to his Jets form but TB did not utilize him well either making him play zone so I have to think Bill will do a better job. Anytime you can sign the CB that grades out #1 to a one year deal, you do it every time. Now they have also signed Browner which makes the NE secondary scary good.

26 mil over six years isnt anything for according to you "the top 3 corner in the game". thats basically 13 mil for two seasons which is less than the pats and revis deal which is basically 12 million one year and 20 the next if they keep him which is ridiculous, you can average it out but a 20 million cap hit is a 20 million cap hit. so you guys rented a cb who according to you isnt a shutdown corner but is now suddenly the number one corner in the game  wooo. you said revis wasnt a shutdown corner and shutdown corners means you shut people down so why pay 12 million for him let alone 20 the next year if they keep him? who pays 20 million a year for a corner who isnt even shut down material like you said? and if talib is so injury prone/immature etc why would u want the pats to sign him so bad? this is all going by your opinion and logic.

btw im sure bill and revis will get along great (sarcasm) if bill couldnt stand wes welker i doubt hes going to get along with a cb who only cares about money and called him a jerk on national tv

at best your decision making is biased and terrible, you rave over paying cbs the highest salary in the league even though according to you they arent shutdown material, and claim you wanted the pats to resign a corner who was immature, injury prone, etc.

26 mil over six years isnt anything for according to you "the top 3 corner in the game". thats basically 13 mil for two seasons which is less than the pats and revis deal which is basically 12 million one year and 20 the next if they keep him which is ridiculous, you can average it out but a 20 million cap hit is a 20 million cap hit. so you guys rented a cb who according to you isnt a shutdown corner but is now suddenly the number one corner in the game  wooo. you said revis wasnt a shutdown corner and shutdown corners means you shut people down so why pay 12 million for him let alone 20 the next year if they keep him? who pays 20 million a year for a corner who isnt even shut down material like you said? and if talib is so injury prone/immature etc why would u want the pats to sign him so bad? this is all going by your opinion and logic.

btw im sure bill and revis will get along great (sarcasm) if bill couldnt stand wes welker i doubt hes going to get along with a cb who only cares about money and called him a jerk on national tv

First, I don't believe there is a shut down corner in the NFL today but again Revis, Sherman, Talib are as close as you can come IMO.

Like I said, I loved Talib. He was top three IMO when healthy which unfortunately was not that often especially in the post-season. I think Denver massively over-paid for him and I am glad the Pats didn't. I am fine with the one year deal for Revis as all I care about right now is 2014 and having a stout secondary to contend with Denver.

And I guess you don't know the history of how this deal was made if you think Bill and Revis can't get along.

First, I don't believe there is a shut down corner in the NFL today but again Revis, Sherman, Talib are as close as you can come IMO.

Like I said, I loved Talib. He was top three IMO when healthy which unfortunately was not that often especially in the post-season. I think Denver massively over-paid for him and I am glad the Pats didn't. I am fine with the one year deal for Revis as all I care about right now is 2014 and having a stout secondary to contend with Denver.

And I guess you don't know the history of how this deal was made if you think Bill and Revis can't get along.

yeah thats all great but the fact is the first post i made demonstrates no matter what happens youre going to praise new england and boo the broncos

second there is no shutdown corner in the game anymore wow okay ill leave that alone idk what to say, im not going to argue it though because youre going to say shutdown corner means a receiver has NEVER caught a pass while being covered by said person, and im not here to argue a hyperbole you can have that one, you need a win by now

3rd all you care about is 2014 and nothing else, but john elway has the gm skills of brad wells and doesnt look into the future okay gotcha

yeah thats all great but the fact is the first post i made demonstrates no matter what happens youre going to praise new england and boo the broncos

second there is no shutdown corner in the game anymore wow okay ill leave that alone idk what to say, im not going to argue it though because youre going to say shutdown corner means a receiver has NEVER caught a pass while being covered by said person, and im not here to argue a hyperbole you can have that one, you need a win by now

3rd all you care about is 2014 and nothing else, but john elway has the gm skills of brad wells and doesnt look into the future okay gotcha

To the bolded - I am a Pats fan you know. lol.

To me a true shut down corner is Deion Sanders. I have never seen the likes of him in the NFL since he retired. If I do, I will be the first to say X corner is shut down.

Why would I care beyond 2014? Revis is on a one year deal so the Pats are not hamstrung by his deal cap wise beyond 14 unlike the Broncos who are tied to Talib for many years.

I don't blame Elway for doing what he is doing to maximize Manning's last couple of years but the team will be in complete rebuild mode when Manning retires whereas the Pats will be fine when Brady hangs them up.

exactly, therefore quit pretending you post objectively and are here to converse when youre here to scream about how great the pats are, good decisions or bad ones

lol. This is a football forum man. I challenge you to find one "objective" poster.  I mean just look at your new signature for all the evidence you need.  :thmsup:

lol. This is a football forum man. I challenge you to find one "objective" poster.  I mean just look at your new signature for all the evidence you need.  :thmsup:

first of all my signature is completely objective its pointing out what you guys have said

second: you were the one who asked me why i care what people think? yet you self admittedly are on an arch rival teams forum being non objective and just talking about how great the patriots are even when they make wrong decisions. its obnoxious. and there are ways to be here and be a fan of a different team and not be obnoxious but youre clearly just here to tell us how every single thing the patriots do is great and better than everyone and act like you have every right to do it i guess you do since you dont break forum rules, but that doesnt mean anyone appreciates it. im done.you admitting youre going to support every move the pats make,and praise moves you know are bad has taken the fun out of this good bye :highfive2: (for now)

first of all my signature is completely objective its pointing out what you guys have said

second: you were the one who asked me why i care what people think? yet you self admittedly are on an arch rival teams forum being non objective and just talking about how great the patriots are even when they make wrong decisions. its obnoxious. and there are ways to be here and be a fan of a different team and not be obnoxious but youre clearly just here to tell us how every single thing the patriots do is great and better than everyone and act like you have every right to do it i guess you do since you dont break forum rules, but that doesnt mean anyone appreciates it. im done.you admitting youre going to support every move the pats make,and praise moves you know are bad has taken the fun out of this good bye :highfive2: (for now)

I have never said/typed anything close to your signature. So perhaps you should take our your bitterness out on the OP of the Pats/Denver thread which in case you missed it, I already said was a bogus thread.

I am not sure what your beef really is other then my fandom. I have criticized the Pats in the past and praised other teams for their play/FA moves but perhaps you are just too zoned in on what you want to believe to notice.

And in case you missed it, you engaged me on this thread by rehashing posts of mine from quite awhile ago. I have responded to your silliness and am now done. If you have any further issues please just PM me as I feel badly that other posters had to be subjected to this drivel.

I have never said/typed anything close to your signature. So perhaps you should take our your bitterness out on the OP of the Pats/Denver thread which in case you missed it, I already said was a bogus thread.

But this thread is about the Welker hit on Talib. Not everything revolves around Peyton or Brady in these games. That was a huge play and significantly altered how the game was played defensively by the Pats. I was upset at the time which only got validated by Bill. 

hmm  you seemed to do a lot of whining about how the pats lost the game because of one player being out, just like the op in the other thread whined about not having gronk  :thmup:

hmm  you seemed to do a lot of whining about how the pats lost the game because of one player being out, just like the op in the other thread whined about not having gronk  :thmup:

Are you now a stalker? Finding threads from back in January?? Creepy man.

beanstalker.gif

grow up. youre usually pretty good at manipulating the question at hand to fit your agenda when someone calls out and are normally very articulate and despite your philosophys and opinion i dont think ive ever called you stupid because you strike me as pretty intelligent under neath it all. this is beneath you

grow up. youre usually pretty good at manipulating the question at hand to fit your agenda when someone calls out and are normally very articulate and despite your philosophys and opinion i dont think ive ever called you stupid because you strike me as pretty intelligent under neath it all. this is beneath you

First, I am a hypocrite, fanboy and now I am articulate and intelligent? I don't know whether to feel this :rant: or this :kitty:

In all seriousness, I love to engage in debate over football. Happy to discuss anything. Just relax on the attack mode all the time and you will find amicable responses. Even from Pats fans. ;)

First, I am a hypocrite, fanboy and now I am articulate and intelligent? I don't know whether to feel this :rant: or this :kitty:

In all seriousness, I love to engage in debate over football. Happy to discuss anything. Just relax on the attack mode all the time and you will find amicable responses. Even from Pats fans. ;)

a persons capacity for intelligence isnt negated by bad decisions. it may appear as if it isnt there but that doesnt mean the person cant call upon their intelligence when they need to