Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to possibly seek NT upgrade

TKnight24

We need the help. We still struggle against the run and I think that's a product of not having a big NT. A 3/4 defense will never work that well without one either. I've been saying since Pagano got here in order for his defense to work we needed to address the DT spot.

Personally, I'd like to see Hughes at NT as little as possible.

He's got Ngata traits...   meaning he's an exceptional athlete for his size.     So, I don't want all that great athleticism wasted in all the trash he'd have to face if he's on the Nose.    He'll face plenty of double teams.    I'd prefer him at DE, away from the nose, so he can use his athletic ability to make plays.

I'm not saying never to Hughes on the nose....   just as little as we can....

I never really saw Hughes as a DE, but maybe that's where he belongs. Coming out of college he looked like a pass rushing 3-4 NT. I just hope he's effective, regardless of where he plays.

I'd sign Cam Thomas to rotate with Chapman, but there are a lot of big, thick guys late in the draft and into UDFA territory that we could add also.

Yeah he's got nice size also. I just want to be good at stopping the run. We had glimpses of it last year. But got torched also.

I never really saw Hughes as a DE, but maybe that's where he belongs. Coming out of college he looked like a pass rushing 3-4 NT. I just hope he's effective, regardless of where he plays.

DJ...

I think you're right,  Hughes can be a pass rushing NT.    And I'm fine seeing him there on obvious passing downs.  

But, if he's an every day DL -- which I think Grigson/Pagano would like him to be eventually -- then on the other downs I'd like to see him as a DE/DT.     Just not on the nose.

Agreed that wherever he plays he needs to be effective....   when you trade a future 4 to take him in the 5th round, then you must feel like you've got something that potentially special.   So, I want Hughes to be a quality 3-down lineman...   I'll be very curious to see what he turns into this year....