Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Safeties...Mayock and others chime in

Yeah I think Decker is a very decent receiver but I just think we are likely to be able to get someone about as good in the draft. I can't say the same about Byrd, but even there I might aim for a lower tier safety than him. We still have holes on defense beyond safety, but of the 2 I'd rather go for Byrd.

i think the Colts (and Colts fans) should forget about Decker. He's a good WR, but the 2 Greatest Offenses in NFL history were stymied by great Defenses!  offense sells tickets, Defense wins Championships!  Byrd is a great Safety that would be an important cog in a great Defense.

i think the Colts (and Colts fans) should forget about Decker. He's a good WR, but the 2 Greatest Offenses in NFL history were stymied by great Defenses!  offense sells tickets, Defense wins Championships!  Byrd is a great Safety that would be an important cog in a great Defense.

They have sort of found that great teams win championships.  

I think if you look at the numbers though the 2013 Seahawks are actually more then a great defense.  While they aren't the best defense of all time they actually belong in the discussion with teams such as the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens.  (Not to mention the '70's Steelers)  

A defense of that caliber actually only occurs about once every 10 to 15 years.  

On the other hand I'm not sure the Bronco's where quite so epic.  They played a lot of easy teams with suspect defenses in their record breaking year.  Probably one of the top offenses of all time but you could argue that they where not the best ever.  

They have sort of found that great teams win championships.  

I think if you look at the numbers though the 2013 Seahawks are actually more then a great defense.  While they aren't the best defense of all time they actually belong in the discussion with teams such as the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens.  (Not to mention the '70's Steelers)  

A defense of that caliber actually only occurs about once every 10 to 15 years.  

On the other hand I'm not sure the Bronco's where quite so epic.  They played a lot of easy teams with suspect defenses in their record breaking year.  Probably one of the top offenses of all time but you could argue that they where not the best ever.  

i agree that it does take a Team to win championships. my post was about the patriots & broncos. Both were record setting in their respective years on Offense. the giants & seahawks both had great defenses which held their record-setting opponents. the '00 ravens had a stellar defense. What they all had in common is a good offense & great defense ( ok, the '00 ravens didn't have a very good offense, but their defense made up for it  :D )

Who says the Colts are thinking about Decker? Some doofus on twitter with zero connections to the Colts?

hence my " (and Colts fans) " in the original post. I honestly don't think the Colts are looking at Decker, but i see a lot of fans on this forum writing about the Colts should get him. If the option of 1 or the other is there [ decker or byrd ] i think the best option is to upgrade the Defense in FA ( and the interior O-Line)

I'm not sure how to edit my original post, if anyone knows please clue me in.

Sign Byrd for somewhere in the 5 year 40 million range. I know the Colts have a lot of spots they could upgrade but Bryd is arguably the best FA available and at a position of need. If they aren't able to resign Davis, there are still some good options out there. Worse case scenario they have TY, Fleener, and Allen coming back & a deep draft class at WR. Byrd is the best option for a big money signing option, everything else is a distant 2nd.

I'm not sure how to edit my original post, if anyone knows please clue me in.

Sign Byrd for somewhere in the 5 year 40 million range. I know the Colts have a lot of spots they could upgrade but Bryd is arguably the best FA available and at a position of need. If they aren't able to resign Davis, there are still some good options out there. Worse case scenario they have TY, Fleener, and Allen coming back & a deep draft class at WR. Byrd is the best option for a big money signing option, everything else is a distant 2nd.

After you post something, if you look at your original post, it should say Edit. After a while, that will disappear and you can't edit your post anymore. Also, I don't think Byrd is going to take $8 million a year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

So if he gets 5yr/45 mil to me that is still in the range considering NFL money. Big difference to the real world average Joe. Got to believe that a chance to win a championship has to come into play. Don't see Buf or Clev being a factor anytime soon. Philly seems likes a pretty logical spot for Byrd or Ward especially with ties to Kelly.