Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More O-line options continue to hit the market

With the Jaguars release of Uche Nwaneri, it's a good reminder of how many options Grigson has to improve the depth in our O-line, and how many of them aren't even on the market today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Nwaneri has 91 starts at RG in the last 96 games, and is just turning 30.  He may have other issues (has had some medical concerns in recent years), but has certainly been durable and competent to date.  Like many around here, I'd love to have a guy like this (or Willie Colon) brought in to push Thornton to become the star I believe he'll be.

With all those starts, his modest salary, their Cap Space, and the Jags having no clear replacement, a Giant Red Flag, let the Giants have him.

Thornton has Top Quality athleticism so his future is based on what is between the ears and hard work in the weight room.
 We would be in a strong position if we could start with Thornton as a backup, where he could keep improving and working on his tackle skills too.

Not impressed with the FA Guards, just journeyman at a spot i question spending $4-5M on one of them. Gabe Jackson could quickly be their equal with a very real upside.

Nwaneri as a pass blocker is alright...Though struggles to pick up late blitzes at times, Not the most athletic of Guards, He is tough but not a mauler, wont blow any DT's off the LOS scrimmage consistently , All in my opinion in what I saw of course

With all those starts, his modest salary, their Cap Space, and the Jags having no clear replacement, a Giant Red Flag, let the Giants have him.

Thornton has Top Quality athleticism so his future is based on what is between the ears and hard work in the weight room.

We would be in a strong position if we could start with Thornton as a backup, where he could keep improving and working on his tackle skills too.

Not impressed with the FA Guards, just journeyman at a spot i question spending $4-5M on one of them. Gabe Jackson could quickly be their equal with a very real upside.

THIS one makes sense BBs!!  I am pretty concerned when the Jags do not want him.  Coach Bradley is weeding out those who want to play and those who do not.  This guys is feverishly trying to build a football team!

Our fathers' favorite saying applies: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I agree. . . if you think he could start for the Colts then you have to be asking the question as to why the Jags cut him in the first place.

I'm pretty sure the Jags are not in terrible straights cap wise.  

One guard that's on my wish list is a guard I was interested in a year ago....   and I wasn't alone....   several other Colts fans here were interested in him as well.

Geoff Schwartz.

He was with Minnesota in 2012 and was a late sign by KC this past year.    I think he got $2 Mill.

Well...   all he did was have a career year....   was highly graded in the analytics...   and now will have a much higher price tag.

Good for him,  bad for us.

I hope we look into him...   6'6" and 340.     Not your prototypical guard,  but he gets the job done.

One guard that's on my wish list is a guard I was interested in a year ago....   and I wasn't alone....   several other Colts fans here were interested in him as well.

Geoff Schwartz.

He was with Minnesota in 2012 and was a late sign by KC this past year.    I think he got $2 Mill.

Well...   all he did was have a career year....   was highly graded in the analytics...   and now will have a much higher price tag.

Good for him,  bad for us.

I hope we look into him...   6'6" and 340.     Not your prototypical guard,  but he gets the job done.

This will be one of the most interesting decision forks (to me) in Grigson's actions.  This and center, of course.   Bringing in Schwartz (or Asamoah), means bringing him in as a starter.  Too many teams offering a starting gig at guard, so those are the going to be the terms and the price on those guys.  As you know, I tend to think that Grigson has seen enough from Thornton to project him as a starter supported by a contingency plan.  I also think that he'll take the same approach with Holmes at center (more open competition, however, from someone like JD Walton, Jon Goodwin, etc).  It's a behavioral guess, not a scouting conclusion, and I could be guessing wrong.  All in all, I only see acquistions coming for the interior OL that compete with Thornton and Holmes, not contracts that lock them into back up roles for the next few years.  

I fully understand why some would be disappointed if it turns out this way.  We all want the line simply fixed.

What are some really under the radar options?

Travelle Wharton-OG/Carolina Panthers

Kendrick Lewis - S/Kansas City Chiefs

Vlad DuCasse - OL/New York Jets

Vincent Ray    - MLB/Cincinnati Bengals

Terrence Cody - NT/Baltimore Ravens

Kenny Britt     - WR/ Tennessee Titans

I think all of these guys could be had at a fairly reasonable price and are more likely candidates to be signed by the Colts than most names people are listing.