Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grimes is off the Market

bavanlan

Man, that seems like a lot of money for a 31 yr old. 

Want to see the structure of the deals first, but I would in general agree.  

Although if most or all of that guaranteed money was just a guarantee on the salary of say the first 2 years, then it's not too bad.  

The bad news for us is now the CB market this year has a benchmark and it is fairly high.  You can bet Vontae's agent is taking that deal and saying Grimes is 5 years older then my client and got 4/32 with 16 mil guaranteed.  I want more on account of Vontae being 26 and not 31.  

Want to see the structure of the deals first, but I would in general agree.  

Although if most or all of that guaranteed money was just a guarantee on the salary of say the first 2 years, then it's not too bad.  

The bad news for us is now the CB market this year has a benchmark and it is fairly high.  You can bet Vontae's agent is taking that deal and saying Grimes is 5 years older then my client and got 4/32 with 16 mil guaranteed.  I want more on account of Vontae being 26 and not 31.  

Ya, that 16M guaranteed for Grimes is crazy. I would make Vontae's more incentive driven. 

Ya, that 16M guaranteed for Grimes is crazy. I would make Vontae's more incentive driven. 

I don't know if Davis would sign that contract.  

The only positive on the Colt's end is that there are other good CB's on the market.  Where we might be able to say that if he asks for too much we'll just give Sam Shields a call.

But he certainly has much more leverage then we do.  And this will only increase his leverage, and we will likely have to give Davis a slightly better offer then Grimes got.  

haha FAs sure like to rob Miami

Yeah, Dannelle Ellerbe, then Mike Wallace, now Brent Grimes :)

However, Brandon Carr got 5 yrs. $50 mil. a couple of years ago, so it is not as bad as it could have been, I will look at the positive side of "it could have been worse".

Yeah, Dannelle Ellerbe, then Mike Wallace, now Brent Grimes :)

However, Brandon Carr got 5 yrs. $50 mil. a couple of years ago, so it is not as bad as it could have been, I will look at the positive side of "it could have been worse".

The CB market reset last offseason. Or at least we thought it did. Grimes deal makes sense if it's not backloaded, though it's richer than I was hoping it would be. Could see Vontae commanding nearly $10m/year after this.