Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South Mock Draft

I have seen a lot of interesting takes on what the Colts will do in the draft. I thought I make take a stab at what each team will do in the draft. Now that the combine is over, we have a little bit better idea about where these players stack up.

TEXANS:

1.) Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina

2.) Bradley Roby CB Ohio State

3.) Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

4.) Zach Mettenberger QB LSU

5.) Justin Ellis DT Louisiana Tech

6.) Joe Halapio OG Florida

7.) Glenn Carson ILB Penn State

In the end, I cannot see them passing on Clowney. He is an elite pass rusher that is much more of a sure thing than any QB in this draft. I think Roby slips out of the first round based on character concerns. I don't see the Texans needing a WR with Johnson and Hopkins. The secondary gets a big boost with Roby. The Texans always seem to be shuffling TEs. If Niklas makes it out of the 2nd round, he could be a real find for them. Finally, I think Mettenberger could end up being a steal in the 4th round. His knee injury will cause him to drop. Give him a year to strengthen the knee and learn the offense and he could have a significant impact in 2015.

JAGUARS:

1.) Blake Bortles QB Central Florida

2.) Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

3.) Paul Richardson WR Colorado

4.) Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor

4.) Larry Webster OLB Bloomsburg

5.) Ross Cockrell CB Duke

5.) Crocket Gillmore TE Colorado St

5.) Chris Watt OG Notre Dame

6.) Ryan Carrethers DT Arkansas St

7.) Carrington Byndom CB Texas

This team could make a big jump in 2014. The defense is shaping up to be in the top half of the league at a minimum in 2014. They need better QB play. For all the talk of Manziel going to Jacksonville and boosting ticket sales, I could see Bortles having the same effect as he is known in the Florida area. GM David Caldwell formerly served under Polian, I think they go with the pocket passer Bortles. I see Kouandjio slipping out of the first based on a poor showing at the combine where it was discovered he as arthritic knees. Kouandjio and Joeckel will make a nice pair of bookend tackles. Richardson gives them a deep threat. Tough to guess what they will do with Blackmon. Seastrunk is a nice replacement for Jones-Drew. Webster is a raw athletic pass rusher who is rising up draft boards.

TITANS:

1.) Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

2.) Stephon Tuitt DT Notre Dame

4.) Robert Herron WR Wyoming

5.) Storm Johnson RB Central Florida

6.) Nevin Lawson CB Utah State

7.) AC Leonard TE Tennessee State

It sounds like David Stewart, their former starting right tackle will be waived. Lewan has the makings of an elite left tackle. He would be a great pickup at #11. Tuitt gives the defense a boost. I think there will be a run on WRs at the end of the first early second, so no Jordan Matthews, Marquise Lee, or Brandon Cooks. They are looking at losing Britt and Williams, so they go Herron in the 4th round. Storm Johnson had a nice season and a solid combine, if the team parts ways with Chris Johnson, they have a nice replacement in the 5th.

COLTS:

2.) Ego Ferguson DT LSU  6'3" 315 lbs

3.) Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood  6'1" 200lbs, 4.59 second 40,  11 reps of 225

5.) Max Bullough ILB Michigan State  6'3" 250lbs 4.78 second 40, 30 reps of 225

6.) Phillip Gaines CB Rice 6'0" 195lbs, 4.38 second 40, 11 reps of 225

7.) Howard Jones OLB Shepherd 6'3" 235 lbs, 4.60 second 40, 21 reps of 225

It appears more and more like the Colts will be making a run at Eric Decker. As poor as the defense looked late in the season, it's tough to feel we won't make it a priority in the draft. Personally, I hope we trade back and pick up a pick or two in 2015. I think Ferguson will be the best defensive player available for us. He offers some versatility along the defensive line and can provide more of a pass rush from the line. I think Desir will fall to us in the 3rd. He didn't have the best combine and he went to a Division II school. That being said, a year of seasoning could do wonders for him. Darius Butler has one year left on his deal so we wouldn't need a lot from Desir his rookie season. Desir seems to be in the same mold as Trumaine Johnson from St. Louis. Max Bullough just seems like a Grigson guy. He has the size and attitude you want at ILB. Hopefully he will be available in the 5th, I have heard mixed reviews about him. Gaines is a guy who had a strong combine. He is a guy who can compete for a spot at corner or perhaps even free safety. Howard Jones is a small school guy who has potential. He needs a year to put on some weight and learn the game. In the 6th and 7th round I feel you have to draft based on potential and value.

Just a few thoughts. Obviously free agency can change a lot.

I like the idea, I just don't like the picks per say. I would take Tuitt(if he falls that far), Marcus Smith,etc,all over Furguson if you're looking at D-Line upgrades. McGill over Desir. Colvin over Gaines.

Like it other than that though.

I like McGill. I was impressed with his 4.51 forty time at the combine. I just don't see him lasting until our second round pick. With this increased emphasis on big corners, I am afraid his solid combine pushed him just outside our reach. We'll see, if he is available, I think he is definitely a consideration.

I like McGill. I was impressed with his 4.51 forty time at the combine. I just don't see him lasting until our second round pick. With this increased emphasis on big corners, I am afraid his solid combine pushed him just outside our reach. We'll see, if he is available, I think he is definitely a consideration.

I think there's a good chance either he or Jean-Baptiste will be there.  From what I've read, McGill had the better outing at the combine, but I recorded the whole day, so I'll know more on Saturday (wife has a girls date, thank god, can finally catch up on some of the stuff I missed in Monday and Tuesday's combine).  At any rate, I'm not sure who I like better, but I'm having a feeling that either guy, particularly Baptiste will fall to the third, and possibly to us.  By the way, his measurements and combine performance is almost identical to Sherman, for what it's worth.  I didn't like the 4.61 40 time, so I really hope his pro day turns out a bit differently, even if it won't be as "official" as the combine time.

I also agree with what defjamz said regarding the DT pick.  If Daquan Jones or Kelcy Quarles is there (which one of them should be, possibly even in the 3rd), i'd take one of them over Ferguson all day every day. 

I'd be stoked if Jean-Baptiste fell to us in the third. I think teams will reach for him before the end of the third, though. He's been labeled as in the ''Richard Sherman mold'' and that's the flavor of the week. I think he'd be good to have as a press man corner behind Vontae, but I'm not sure if they'd put him opposite of Davis. Do we have Toler running press man on that side of the field right now? Just curious.