Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns-Mack and how organizational stability affect FA's

Cleveland has been in football hell for years. I really thought they would get better when Haslam came as the new owner since he had some experience as a minoritiy owner with Pittsburgh. I truly feel bad for the town.

Since then, in two years he has put the hammer down on everyone. When he first arrived, you expect him to fire staff and bring in his own people, Banner who brought in Lombardi, Chudzinski. I never thought Chud would get fired after one year, and after today, I don't know what is going on since he fired everyone except the assistant GM, so he could be the new GM after turning down the Dolphins. Remember this is right before the combine also.

The reason I started this thread though has to do with free agents and Cleveland. Everyone wants Mack to be our center. The question is will he hit the market. I do not think so, and I believe he is going to be franchised. If they don't franchise him though, he will hit the market. The word going around seems to be they are not only having trouble getting coaches to interview, but players in FA, and have to overpay to get them there. So if you are Mack, with all that happened this year and the offseason, if you are not franchised, would you stay? It will be really interesting to see what happens once FA starts since they have 46Million in cap space. That in itself says how tough it is to get FA there. Remember how much they spent on Kruger last year, and how that turned out. They have to overpay to get prospects there. The question is, if they don't franchise Mack, how much will he want?

Any thoughts I would love to hear. I just thought it was interesting since I did not believe the Browns could shock me anymore, and they did it again today. As I said earlier, I feel bad for Cleveland. They are great fans, but they have to be saying to themselves if I am a FA, would I want to sign with the Browns.

They won't franchise Mack because they would have to pay him like an elite LT. There is no distinction between O-lineman when it comes to the franchise tag. So they don't just have to pay him like the top center, they have to pay him like a top o-lineman and that'll be based off LT's. They'll franchise Ward because it'll be much more feasable for them. With that said, I don't think we'll sign Mack either. People here seem to be under the impression that its either Cleveland or Indy where he'll sign. Im sure there's at least 15 other teams that he could choose from too.

They won't franchise Mack because they would have to pay him like an elite LT. There is no distinction between O-lineman when it comes to the franchise tag. So they don't just have to pay him like the top center, they have to pay him like a top o-lineman and that'll be based off LT's. They'll franchise Ward because it'll be much more feasable for them. With that said, I don't think we'll sign Mack either. People here seem to be under the impression that its either Cleveland or Indy where he'll sign. Im sure there's at least 15 other teams that he could choose from too.

I have a feeling Mack is going to get a nice hefty deal from the Jags. 

Interesting article. I am sure it will depend on how much money someone is willing to give Mack, because one team with cap space is going to make him a very nice offer. Everyone was right it seems about Ward being franchised. I guess I just have problems if I was in his shoes and was offered about the same money, but it was a franchise which was a winning stabile franchise, where would I go? I find it interesting that firing everyone has given him new hope. Banner or Lombardi must have made him unhappy due to not negotiating an extension. He is still going to have to make a decision, and with all things equal money wise, I know what I would do. Still I don't want the Colts to pay top dollar for him. Green Bay's center or De La Puente would be cheaper and still a huge upgrade over Satele, but I would love to have him as our anchor, especially since he is young, and will be around for a long time.

Hey Alex, Colts win, you have had 4 years of losing. Consider a change!

This is strange to me. According to Rapaport, Mack had a little beef with the old front office, so he was considered a goner. I'm not sure why anything the Browns have done this offseason would make Mack feel better about staying. I understand getting rid of someone he and his agent might have bumped heads with, but it's likely that the old front office was getting their directives from the owner in a matter such as this one. I just can't see a player who will be pursued by a dozen teams this offseason feeling comfortable staying with the Browns at this point, given the disarray they've been in basically the whole time Mack has been there.

Time will tell. I'm not expecting the Colts to sign Mack, personally, but if he hits the market, that makes it slightly easier for the Colts if they go after EDS, BdlP, or any other FA center. 

I read somewhere that he has a house in Tampa Bay, and that they are interested in him.

IF this column is accurate...his college coach Jeff Tedford and his O-line coach from the Browns are now BOTH on the Bucs staff, and you could be right.....

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=106164

One drawback? The Bucs are only projected to have 12m in cap space so it might be a little tricky but certainly not impossible.