Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sherman and Chancellor say they read Peyton's gestures and eyes

sweetsurrender

I like how the Seahawks are run, for the most part, but I don't think they're some magical organization that has solved how to win championships. They have some good ideas, but they don't have a silver bullet. And as great as Pete Carroll looks right now, Belichick has a much better track record. I'm just not all that interested in hearing about how terrible everyone else is for not doing things exactly how the Seahawks do.

I am completely with you on this. Typical of our media that is the prisoner of the moment. They seem to forget that if Kaepernick puts a little more air under that pass in the corner of the end zone then the niners are in the SB and Seattle goes home with Sherman as the goat.

Here in Boston some of the media are actually saying the Pats would be better off right now with Carroll. :wall:   They seem to forget that when he was here he ruined a SB caliber team in just three short seasons ... and left the mess to Belichick who turned it into a dynasty just four years later.

Mathis also missed the last four games of the season, and the SD game. We had NO pass rush in the playoffs.

Nope.. What absolutely sucked about that year was that Bob stayed healthy all year, won DPOY, and we lost our pass rush as you said. If there was any year where I felt we had the best chance to win, that was it.

Here is my issue with this and it's this quote.

""Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could've been exposed."

He seems to forget that the pressure in Peyton's face would have realistically prevented any double moves from working out as they take too long to develop.

That wouldn't have prevented it I dont think. Peyton was pressured several times but not on every throw by no means and some of those pressures were designed to get O Linemen to act as lead blockers, Again he was pressured several times but I think it was much more Seattles ability to warm to and make plays on the ball or ball carrier...They really dictated for the most part (not every play) what Manning was going to get in terms of yards/first downs that sort of thing, Sherman looks exactly right in what he is saying from what I can tell.....That secondary was glued to Denver receivers much of the night and hitting them many plays right after the catch, I do also think there was  a couple hand signals Seattle picked up on because a few times after a hand signal was made Richardson would look at communicate with his secondary pre snap.....Was not on alot of plays but I think they figured some things out really well

I like how the Seahawks are run, for the most part, but I don't think they're some magical organization that has solved how to win championships. They have some good ideas, but they don't have a silver bullet. And as great as Pete Carroll looks right now, Belichick has a much better track record. I'm just not all that interested in hearing about how terrible everyone else is for not doing things exactly how the Seahawks do.

Oh totally agree. One SB does not make them anything more than that. I was just pointing out I get a little frustrated in BB not allowing players some creativity on their own.  But it's hard to argue with his record. I suppose it's also what you have for talent on the squad. Obviously an average player is better of doing his assignment only.I guess..

Oh totally agree. One SB does not make them anything more than that. I was just pointing out I get a little frustrated in BB not allowing players some creativity on their own.  But it's hard to argue with his record. I suppose it's also what you have for talent on the squad. Obviously an average player is better of doing his assignment only.I guess..

BB's problem is he has not had a group of players with this level of talent for almost a decade. When they had that great defense they were pretty creative and they trashed Peyton Manning every year until that group of defense got decomposed for FA and retirement.

There's a lot of different ways to look at it. The Seahawks run a lot of zone, so it allows players to react a little more. They also have more defensive talent in the secondary, faster guys, and fewer injuries, in comparison with the Pats. You have to have playmakers if you want plays to be made. I think the Pats drafting has been more of an issue than their coaching, personally.

BB's problem is he has not had a group of players with this level of talent for almost a decade. When they had that great defense they were pretty creative and they trashed Peyton Manning every year until that group of defense got decomposed for FA and retirement.

That's true. You do need talent to be creative ;)

There's a lot of different ways to look at it. The Seahawks run a lot of zone, so it allows players to react a little more. They also have more defensive talent in the secondary, faster guys, and fewer injuries, in comparison with the Pats. You have to have playmakers if you want plays to be made. I think the Pats drafting has been more of an issue than their coaching, personally.

Point well taken.  The draft does bug me a little. We could have had Dez Bryant for example but BB is WRs are a dime a dozen and he spends high on the lines- which I get. But those avg WRs only seem to take you so far, although he did have the two TEs but where's that great WR NE has missed.

OTOH apparently Seattle built that team with a lot of low picks

I agree about draws and traps. The game was withing two scores for a long time it seemed and they had already abandoned the run in favor of the short passes that the Seattle defense had covered.

Here is Peter King's take on Manning. He felt Manning looked "uneasy" all night and not just from the pressure as he was not finding the open receivers.

On this night, not the Mann.

A bitter disappointment for Peyton Manning, obviously. And when Manning looks back on the tape from this game, he’ll be sick. The unforced errors, starting with the first snap of the game. The mistakes he made in identifying the open receivers. The forced throws. He didn’t have much help but he tried too hard to make plays that very often weren’t there.

We saw it late in the first half, Denver down 22-0 and needing something, anything to show flickering life. On first down from the Seattle 27, Manning had a choice: forcing the ball to Julius Thomas—bracketed by safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas, or throwing to an open Wes Welker at the 15. That would have been a first down. But he tried Thomas, and it wasn’t close. Incomplete. Meanwhile, Welker, who rarely shows emotion after a pass, threw his arms in the air. Four plays later, on 4th-and-2, Manning bypassed a more open Julius Thomas, in first-down territory, to try to hit Demaryius Thomas. Ball was tipped. Incomplete. There are many times you watched a big moment Sunday night, and every time, seemingly, was to Seattle’s advantage. Manning just looked uneasy.

Peter King is a doofus

They didn't force turnovers off of jumping routes. They hit Manning and forced a couple of bad throws, they capitalized on the turnovers, they got a big play on special teams, and every time the Broncos were starting to get something going, they made a huge mistake. 

^THIS^ 

The INT's came off Manning being hit on the arm and the ball popping up in the air not jumping routes. 

Maxwell punching the ball out was a great play on his part, but Broncos not being able to tackle anyone didn't help either. 

If Denver stopped to run the ball when they were down by 8 pts, it was going to be a problem against even an average secondary since it was just that much easier to defend a one-dimensional team. If you saw how patient and committed to the run the three teams beating Seattle were, you'd know it was not a very good game plan from Manning's side.

I am completely with you on this. Typical of our media that is the prisoner of the moment. They seem to forget that if Kaepernick puts a little more air under that pass in the corner of the end zone then the niners are in the SB and Seattle goes home with Sherman as the goat.

Here in Boston some of the media are actually saying the Pats would be better off right now with Carroll. :wall:   They seem to forget that when he was here he ruined a SB caliber team in just three short seasons ... and left the mess to Belichick who turned it into a dynasty just four years later.

If there is such a drastic turnaround, what exactly has Carroll changed in these years? If not I'd start to suspect they are using lots of PED at Seattle.