Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interceptions are misleading

oldunclemark

Darn lost the post got to re-write!

1. An INT is an INT with no * in the record books.  The INT could be a wrong read by the WR, a ball that bounced of the hands of the WR or tipped at the line of scrimmage but an INT is recorded by the QB!

2. With that said yes you must play with brains/smarts but for all that have played ball or even tiddly winks sometimes the brains gets out muscled with the "I can do it" competitive spirit.  In professional sports you need that "I can do it" attitude but hopefully you can temperate with some brains/smarts.

3. Curse me if you want but that's the reason I have/had a love/hate with the qb calling of Farve!  He was a gunslinger and he was going for it.  I remember a play-off game he made couple of unreal plays/passes then threw a very ill advised INT that lost the game. He had confidence and was willing to risk it!  You need that "I can do it" attitude!

Did I get lost or lose you?  An INT may be ill advised but sometimes the competitive spirit out muscles the brains!  Every basketball player wants the ball in their hands for the game winning shot.  Every RB/WR wants that ball in their hands to score the winning TD!  That goes for the QB and every professional ballplayer.  You need the confidence!

Darn lost the post got to re-write!

1. An INT is an INT with no * in the record books.  The INT could be a wrong read by the WR, a ball that bounced of the hands of the WR or tipped at the line of scrimmage but an INT is recorded by the QB!

2. With that said yes you must play with brains/smarts but for all that have played ball or even tiddly winks sometimes the brains gets out muscled with the "I can do it" competitive spirit.  In professional sports you need that "I can do it" attitude but hopefully you can temperate with some brains/smarts.

3. Curse me if you want but that's the reason I have/had a love/hate with the qb calling of Farve!  He was a gunslinger and he was going for it.  I remember a play-off game he made couple of unreal plays/passes then threw a very ill advised INT that lost the game. He had confidence and was willing to risk it!  You need that "I can do it" attitude!

Did I get lost or lose you?  An INT may be ill advised but sometimes the competitive spirit out muscles the brains!  Every basketball player wants the ball in their hands for the game winning shot.  Every RB/WR wants that ball in their hands to score the winning TD!  That goes for the QB and every professional ballplayer.  You need the confidence!

I like what you are saying 100GFB.  From back yard to the pros, we have all wanted and played out the 'last second shot,' the 'Hail Mary' pass...FG...3 balls 2 strikes...9th Inning and Bases loaded HRs...  I love the thought process.

Not everyone, however has the mindset to be that Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jordan, Bird, LBJ etc. but my guess is they do ALL want to be THAT guy!

The old cliche is that Football is a game of inches.  Sometimes a throw is not ill advised but in tight qtrs...an inch away from a :td: ,but is picked off!  Nice post buddy! 

Andrew Luck threw nine interceptions all season...right..16 games?

But I hear on TV how hes interception prone because he threw 7 in 2 playoff games..

Thuis is the problem with re,ying on one stat too heavily...

Did Andrew improve because he only have 9 INTs in 16 games??

Did he regress because the threw 7 INTs in games where the Colts trailed all the time..?

Where were the INTs on the field....We're they at the end of the half or the game?

/////Folks don't watch the games closely..they just look at the stat sheet....and look at the faulty QB-rating

Luck's greatest game was one where he threw 3 INTs....they came from 28 points down

You cant define a winning QB because of the interceptions he throws when his team is winning..

Luck has played 35 games and won 23.   Dioesnt that heavily overshadow the TD-interception ratio?

lucks second year in playoff he made too second round  great a second year qb. consider he second year slump cuaght with him in the playoffs and sucky o'line. and lacking great receivers. only had ty  rest were ok.

At the end of the day (and near end of some careers) stats like that are all that stick out.  Circumstances fade.  Why, we've already been down this road with Peyton Manning.  They look at his regular season TD /INT ratio and winning percentage, and then chart his his post season Losses and picks.  They use this to degrade his legacy.  I heard (I think it was Linda Cohn)  berate Manning for his post season W/L and TD/INT percentages and that's why he can never be the best QB ever to play the NFL.  Many will have her back, too.  It is what it is.  If luck does similar in regular vs. post season, he'll bear the same criticism. :(

I heard that, too....

//as if interceptions are more important than wins..

Andrew's 3-interception game in Chicago in his NFL debut was vastly different from his three interception playoff game vs. KC

I also hear how QBs need to win BIG games..defined only as playoff games.

Must-win games to reach the playoffs are just as BIG as playoff games because they are both one-and-done

...Even smart people can be lazy thinkers..

At the end of the day (and near end of some careers) stats like that are all that stick out.  Circumstances fade.  Why, we've already been down this road with Peyton Manning.  They look at his regular season TD /INT ratio and winning percentage, and then chart his his post season Losses and picks.  They use this to degrade his legacy.  I heard (I think it was Linda Cohn)  berate Manning for his post season W/L and TD/INT percentages and that's why he can never be the best QB ever to play the NFL.  Many will have her back, too.  It is what it is.  If luck does similar in regular vs. post season, he'll bear the same criticism. :(

Linda Cohn talking about football is like a baboon talking about physics.

Luck had bad luck. Especially when the ball bounces out of receivers hands into a defenders.

another reason interceptions as a QB evaluator are faulty..

.....turnovers do not determine the outcome of games...look at the AFC title game..,.look at Colts-KC .they contribuite.//

as do 'yards gained' or 'first downs' or 'red zone' TD %

I don't think that was his point

Yes, I know he was more asking if TOs are a good way to judge a QB. I have always believed that the two most important categories for determining a QB are completion percentage and TOs. A Qbs main responsibility is to complete passes and not turn over the ball. There are a ton of other stats as well but those two are paramount in my view because they effect the success of the team so much. And before someone says well so and so QB had 3 TOs and still won or only completed 50 percent of his passes. I am talking about over the long haul. I look at Eli as a perfect example. He is just not accurate enough to be a consistent top QB and he has a penchant for turning over the ball. He makes things doubly hard on his team to win.

another reason interceptions as a QB evaluator are faulty..

.....turnovers do not determine the outcome of games...look at the AFC title game..,.look at Colts-KC .they contribuite.//

as do 'yards gained' or 'first downs' or 'red zone' TD %

There is no ONE THING that determines the outcome of a game.  However, more often than not, turnovers are one of the biggest factors.

This season's give / take statistics

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake/seasontype/2/league/afc

It's no coincidence that the worst teams are at the bottom and the "good' teams are at the top.

2 teams had a negative give/take that made the playoffs.    SD and GB, and they barely got in.

Seattle led the league and Denver was even.   

There is no ONE THING that determines the outcome of a game.  However, more often than not, turnovers are one of the biggest factors.

more often than not....1st downs and touchdowns are one of the biggest factors..

to say that games are decided by turnovers is a often used cliche'

Its not really true

Games are decided by yards gained, first downs, touchdowns and conventioanl stops defensively..not turnovers

more often than not....1st downs and touchdowns are one of the biggest factors..

Its not really true

Games are decided by yards gained, first downs, touchdowns and conventioanl stops defensively..not turnovers

I feel that Special Teams turnovers win/lose games...a blocked punt or FG...critical fumbles in the opposing teams 'back yard.'

That is one of the things I agreed with Mr. Polian on.

Somebody said? Come on man.

If you watch every play closely like SOME DO, you should have a good idea what Andrew IS.

IMO, NO Not at All is the Win Loss record a true reflection on how good or bad Andrew throws or Thinks.

There are not very many good teams in the NFL. How many had winning records? AFC South? Hahahahaha! pitiful!

It does matter how well he plays against the good defenses.

Season one he ignored developing his short game accuracy, he was AWFUL at that IMPORTANT part of the game.

Hmmm! The OPPOSITE of a Montana! nonsense it was his Coach. He frustrated Arians plenty. 

Andrew is just getting started with his young receivers and it will be a couple more years before we might see a top all around QB. No reason he can`t get there unless Grigson continues to screw up our O-Line.

You Should be VERY WORRIED about that based on his Choices so far. Grade F! JMO

Thanks Skip;.

You must have missed this season.. I watched all 18 games and I saw a guy who made the Pro Bowl and led the 'O' of a division champ

9 interceptions in 16 games.....11-5 record..

Forget your short game accuracy..that's for guys like Alex Smith

You must have dozed off when Luck led his teams to win over Denver and Seattle

Interceptions in games where you trail all the way will come and are not a concern..they are a nit pick

This season's give / take statistics

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake/seasontype/2/league/afc

It's no coincidence that the worst teams are at the bottom and the "good' teams are at the top.

2 teams had a negative give/take that made the playoffs.    SD and GB, and they barely got in.

Seattle led the league and Denver was even.   

Look at 1st downs, yards, touchdownsd and opponents punts..

That's where you find winners

Look at 1st downs, yards, touchdownsd and opponents punts..

That's where you find winners

And you rarely get enough first downs, touchdowns if your turning the ball over consistently....(yards dont matter nearly as much as you think if your going 80 yards or so to turn the ball over), you can drive right down the field 3-4 times a game, but turn it over and your just wasting posessions), if your turning the ball over 3-4 times the other team punting dont matter

Thanks Skip;.

You must have missed this season.. I watched all 18 games and I saw a guy who made the Pro Bowl and led the 'O' of a division champ

9 interceptions in 16 games.....11-5 record..

Forget your short game accuracy..that's for guys like Alex Smith

You must have dozed off when Luck led his teams to win over Denver and Seattle

Interceptions in games where you trail all the way will come and are not a concern..they are a nit pick

So Luck doesn't need to be accurate on short throws?

I'll give you his 1st one. But if he hadn't thrown all those picks in the Pats game, I bet we would/could have won. 

This I will agree with.We were in that game WAY more than what it may have seemed.That game was not the train wreck it looked like.if that makes sense.I have a couple Colts haters for buddies and they laugh at me when I tell them that the Colts should have won that game.

Its not really true

You still think this after the way the superbowl played out?

Of course, 1st downs and TDs are also factors, but every turnover that happens kills a drive and prevents the offense from gaining more yards, first downs and a potential TD or FG.