Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paintervision

John Waylon

Seriously. Watch him. He's done it all day so far. He stares down a single receiver, and has been sacked from the front TWICE because he's so focused on the guy he wants to throw to and nothing else.

His head IS NOT moving.

It would also be nice if he launched one downfield to Garcon, if for no other reason than to keep the D honest. The short pass isn't going to work anymore.

The man got paid to hold a clipboard the last few years, nobody actually expected him to have to play. Now we can see why.

I can't buy that. Making a read is a fundamental of quarterback play. It's just what you do. You look at all the options, or as many as you can, and throw to the best option. He did it in college, so why now when he takes a snap is he just looking at one guy?

Backup or not, going through your progression is a fundamental of the game. If you're kinda good at it, it can even cause a receiver to open up.

But staring down a receiver isn't going to cut it. That's why most of Painter's passes are screens and short slants.

I can't buy that. Making a read is a fundamental of quarterback play. It's just what you do. You look at all the options, or as many as you can, and throw to the best option. He did it in college, so why now when he takes a snap is he just looking at one guy?

Backup or not, going through your progression is a fundamental of the game. If you're kinda good at it, it can even cause a receiver to open up.

But staring down a receiver isn't going to cut it. That's why most of Painter's passes are screens and short slants.

I agree with you on all points. But seriously, the Colts did not draft Painter to actually play. He was a 6th round draft pick right (I don't remember)? He was drafted as a cheap body to stand there and hold the clipboard because our FO never expected Peyton to be injured, let alone for the entire season, and now that has come back to haunt them.

Seriously. Watch him. He's done it all day so far. He stares down a single receiver, and has been sacked from the front TWICE because he's so focused on the guy he wants to throw to and nothing else.

His head IS NOT moving.

What in the world do you want your QB to do, you keep your eyes up field for who ever is open... he's not staring down any receiver... the colts are blocking better than they wer earlier on in the game.. the colts need to go down the field a bit more and open up the field....

Seriously painter must have stole your soda or something cause you are all over the man.

What in the world do you want your QB to do, you keep your eyes up field for who ever is open... he's not staring down any receiver... the colts are blocking better than they wer earlier on in the game.. the colts need to go down the field a bit more and open up the field....

Seriously painter must have stole your soda or something cause you are all over the man.

I'm sorry. Asking a QB to make reads on his receivers and not look at the same one for a whole play is just too much.

What WAS I thinking?

I mean, yeah, I'm in the wrong. It's not like 95% of the other QB's in the league look at more than one receiver on any given play or anything, oh no. They ALL stare at the same guy from the time the ball is snapped till the time the ball leaves their hands.

I guess that's why Manning's neck is hurt. You know, having to actually turn it to look at his options... Yep, staring down your intended target is the only way to be successful.

:facepalm:

I've been discussing this in the game thread. He is telegraphing his intent, overthrowing and playing terribly. He has regressed right in front of our eyes. The offensive line has been horrid but Painter is playing his worst start yet.

It's not just today. He's done it in all his starts. He has NO chance of ever faking a defender out by looking him off, and he's always stared down his man. In games past he's gotten away with a lot of easy completions with screens and short slants, but defenses started to prepare for that, and defend it accordingly. Now that they work to take that away and Painter has to make reads and mid-range passes, it's exposing it even more.

Remember the Bengals game? The 4th down pass to Gonzo? He was double covered the whole way, and Painter never even looked at anyone else. It's like he chooses a receiver to throw to before the snap, and even if he's not open, it gets thrown his way anyhow.

It's not just today. He's done it in all his starts. He has NO chance of ever faking a defender out by looking him off, and he's always stared down his man. In games past he's gotten away with a lot of easy completions with screens and short slants, but defenses started to prepare for that, and defend it accordingly. Now that they work to take that away and Painter has to make reads and mid-range passes, it's exposing it even more.

Remember the Bengals game? The 4th down pass to Gonzo? He was double covered the whole way, and Painter never even looked at anyone else. It's like he chooses a receiver to throw to before the snap, and even if he's not open, it gets thrown his way anyhow.

There was one play in particular and he said something to reggie wayne. A saint defender heard and got closer to wayne acting like he was gonna get a pick.... sure enough painter stares reggie down and nearly throws a pick....

Maybe if he had to fight for his job he'd play better. When they were talking about bringing in another QB before pre-season was over with this year, that seemed to light a fire under his butt. But with Polian saying Painter's the starter the remainder of the season, he's back to good, 'ole reliable Curtis.

It's like he really doesn't care how he plays because he knows his job as starter is secure. Some of the actual rookie QB's are playing better than him, and he's been in this league 3 years longer then they have.

I'm sorry. Asking a QB to make reads on his receivers and not look at the same one for a whole play is just too much.

What WAS I thinking?

I mean, yeah, I'm in the wrong. It's not like 95% of the other QB's in the league look at more than one receiver on any given play or anything, oh no. They ALL stare at the same guy from the time the ball is snapped till the time the ball leaves their hands.

I guess that's why Manning's neck is hurt. You know, having to actually turn it to look at his options... Yep, staring down your intended target is the only way to be successful.

:facepalm:

Facepalm all you want mate, you cant go through all your reads when you have defenders on you as soon as you snap the ball.... the colts are a HORRIBLE team this year.. the rams are laying the pound on the saints making the colts look like a high school team... the two picks painter threw were not his fault both deflections.. the colts need to pass block better which was why they were throwing short passes so much because of lack of faith in their Oline.

Well, it seems like people are finally starting to come back down to earth and realizing Painter is not the Colts future like some have claimed here in the recent past.

No fan ive seen ever declared painter the future of the colts, but they have said that he is the backup for the colts... and he is. Painter with protection like most good QB's produces... the colts were putrid at pass blocking causing painter to make quick reads.

Facepalm all you want mate, you cant go through all your reads when you have defenders on you as soon as you snap the ball.... the colts are a HORRIBLE team this year.. the rams are laying the pound on the saints making the colts look like a high school team... the two picks painter threw were not his fault both deflections.. the colts need to pass block better which was why they were throwing short passes so much because of lack of faith in their Oline.

There's ALWAYS a defense for Painter, isn't there? He could stand in the pocket for 5 minutes and intentionally throw it to a defender and smitto would be first on the scene with the defense ready...

"Well, he just doesn't know any better. He thinks those guys are on our team. He's a young QB who hasn't had a lot of snaps with the starters. He's still better than [insert whatever QB is behind Painter on the DC]."

No fan ive seen ever declared painter the future of the colts, but they have said that he is the backup for the colts... and he is. Painter with protection like most good QB's produces... the colts were putrid at pass blocking causing painter to make quick reads.

I have seen some, I can't quote them but seen them. Some proposed we keep Painter and build a team around him.

There's ALWAYS a defense for Painter, isn't there? He could stand in the pocket for 5 minutes and intentionally throw it to a defender and smitto would be first on the scene with the defense ready...

"Well, he just doesn't know any better. He thinks those guys are on our team. He's a young QB who hasn't had a lot of snaps with the starters. He's still better than [insert whatever QB is behind Painter on the DC]."

No its called common sense, you claim he made the wrong read when he threw to clark when clark was the closest one to being open on that play.. painter is a good QB... ppl tend to forget he had his best game statistically agaisnt the best defense in the league vs the bengals so the guy knows how to play.

I really dont care about painter, i just know a good QB when i see one.. this isnt peyton manning time... this is a below avg team with a good QB time.. get used to it.

I have seen some, I can't quote them but seen them. Some proposed we keep Painter and build a team around him.

Well i havent... if painter was much younger then i would be all for that but painter is 26 going on 27 no thanks.. backup yes.

his decision making is so one-way. It's like Manning has a quad-core processor to Painters single-core. These days you at least have to have a Dual-Core to function

but to utilize a dual core the programming has to be written to make use of it otherwise no number of cores makes a difference.........

his decision making is so one-way. It's like Manning has a quad-core processor to Painters single-core. These days you at least have to have a Dual-Core to function

Like i said, this isnt peyton time, this is below avg team with good QB time lol

This game shows the rap on Painter when he came here from Purdue. They (Purdue-ites) said he was inconsistent. And today it showed. He has been improving. but not today. But with no practice, what can you expect?

I'm sorry, but the whole "no practice" angle needs to go by the wayside by now. Painter has been practicing with the starters since the start of camp. Even when Collins was the starter he was most likely getting around 40% of the reps in practice with the starters. I mean how long does it take to get up to speed with these guys in practice? Years? If that's the case how have guys like Cam Newton, and Christen Ponderer done what they have?

Either these guys (and the countless hundreds of other who have done the same thing) are freaks of nature, or Painter is pretty well behind the 8 ball. Which one is more likely?

What good is Painter as a back up? He's proven now that when called upon he can't lead this team to a victory.

So what good is he????????

I am not sure how much we would be winning with Peyton Manning right now let alone Curtis Painter. Today is really the first game you can honestly put on Painter's shoulders and say he was the main reason we lost. I don't buy the idea that the QB gets all the credit when you win and they get all the blame when you lose. They are like any other player on the roster they can play well (which Painter has done at times) and you can still lose.

What good is Painter as a back up? He's proven now that when called upon he can't lead this team to a victory.

So what good is he????????

It also says a lot that when the team finds out Peyton is done for awhile, they go and yank a retired dinosaur off the coach to play quarterback than rely on the backup they've had for three years.

I'm sorry, but the whole "no practice" angle needs to go by the wayside by now. Painter has been practicing with the starters since the start of camp. Even when Collins was the starter he was most likely getting around 40% of the reps in practice with the starters. I mean how long does it take to get up to speed with these guys in practice? Years? If that's the case how have guys like Cam Newton, and Christen Ponderer done what they have?

Either these guys (and the countless hundreds of other who have done the same thing) are freaks of nature, or Painter is pretty well behind the 8 ball. Which one is more likely?

Sorry, there is NO WAY this team practiced this week. Did you SEE this game. I say they didn't practice. not one minute.