Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we finally put to rest the pundit talk that momentum is EVERYTHING?

chad72

Momentum is overrated.

All teams since the 2003 Patriots started at least 6-2 in their first 8 games, have lost at least 1 of their last 5 games before going on a run and winning the SB. Just goes to show you that a good team shows its swagger, can falter a bit and then shows again why it was good in the first place in the playoffs.

Since 2003, THE ONLY TEAM that went in with a 4 game winning streak into the playoffs that won it all is the 2005 Steelers. Don't believe the analysts, momentum is overrated and once the playoffs start, everyone, regardless of their stumbles is 0-0. It is a new ball game. 32nd ranked pass D of the Pats in 2011 were not the last ranked pass D in the playoffs. 32nd ranked run D of the Colts in 2006 were not the last ranked run D in the playoffs. 32nd ranked rushing O of the Giants in 2011 were not the last ranked rushing O in the playoffs.

What you do in the playoffs and your health/depth is the only thing that matters at this juncture.

I think momentum can be real. But, the Patriots know how to squash it better then anyone. They did it to us last season and they did it to us this season.

Granted we have some loose ends on the team to tie up too that are obvious. And sometime I think the Colts show their youth at times when they have a big emotional win followed by a let down. That should even out though next season and beyond though IMO. The Colts know how to win, but they don't know how to remain even keeled enough at times too I feel, too many high highs and low lows.

All I am seeing is that a team that has been good at the beginning of the season, even if it stumbles, recovers and shows you why it was good in the first place.

That team may have chosen the last couple of games to get their act straight, just get in and ball out from there but the fact remains that the team was not riding momentum, it just decided to seize the chance to make noise at the right time by reminding us how good it can be.

Momentum contributes to a lot, but sometimes even talent/superior execution can beat it. Still, don't underestimate it. This year we have four giants many expected to be in the championship games but it's not like this happens every single year.

Momentum can be good short term, but in the end, usually the better team triumphs. This year, I feel different than I have in previous years, after we were eliminated. I feel like, there should have been something more. This year, 3 of the 4 finals teams, the Colts beat during the season. I know, that we're young, and inconsistent, but it felt like we deserved a better ending, even in a loss. I guess it was the way the Colts dug into a hole, and then got ran over and over again...Maybe if there would have been a last drive, a possible comeback that falls just short, or something like that. NE did what they had to do and kudos to them for an excellent game plan and execution...Losing like this this year just seemed not a fitting ending to a season where the Colts surprised even some of us...I look forward to next year, but right now, next year is too far off to matter right now..

Momentum contributes to a lot, but sometimes even talent/superior execution can beat it. Still, don't underestimate it. This year we have four giants many expected to be in the championship games but it's not like this happens every single year.

Wow man, you have been coming up with some deep psychological stuff lately QuizBoy. Or rather you are making me question whats more important unfettered belief or incredible natural talent? Heart vs skill set...

Darn, that is an excellent question: Raw chemistry vs fundamental execution. I have seen both scenarios win SBs. 

The 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs remind me of chemistry gelling at the right time & the 1985 Bears remind me of superb fundamental defensive execution. The Bears only lost 1 game that season & they annihilated & decimated their opponents with ease.

Essentially, what you are saying is that experience in Playoff, pressure cooker situations matters. Will you crumble? Will you explode? Will you destroy what stands before you? 

Momentum can be good short term, but in the end, usually the better team triumphs. This year, I feel different than I have in previous years, after we were eliminated. I feel like, there should have been something more. This year, 3 of the 4 finals teams, the Colts beat during the season. I know, that we're young, and inconsistent, but it felt like we deserved a better ending, even in a loss. I guess it was the way the Colts dug into a hole, and then got ran over and over again...Maybe if there would have been a last drive, a possible comeback that falls just short, or something like that. NE did what they had to do and kudos to them for an excellent game plan and execution...Losing like this this year just seemed not a fitting ending to a season where the Colts surprised even some of us...I look forward to next year, but right now, next year is too far off to matter right now..

Precisely, cream will always rise to the top. The team with the most talent & patience tends to still be standing when the smoke clears & the dust settles. Why? They tend to pace themselves, stay even keel, & find a way to stay alive & never panic. NE does deserve credit for making it this far with key players out. However, no one has punched their ticket to the SB just yet. They still need to earn it & Denver has other ideas of who will fly to the BIG Apple Baby! 

INDY will return to the post season & so will the Texans. Too much god given talent not too. Give my boy JJ Watt some help though lord like Jadeveon Clowney perhaps...I'm just saying.  :D

Yes, I like the Texans. Yes I know they are our chief division rival. Yes, I probably have a man crush on JJ Watt. Yes, he graduated from my alma mater. Yes I am glad the Texans are in the AFC South. No, I could care less what backlash I receive because of it. The Texans are a great team will a kick caboose roster. JMO.

Did they keep Wade Philips as DC & what about Schaub? I guess I will have to wait & see what happens. IF Houston is dumb enough to let Wade go, grab him immediately INDY. That's an order! LOL!

Mad respect for Wade Phillips. Not a great HC, but a spectacular DC though.  :worthy:

I've always thought momentum was overrated.  It's something you see on the schedule on paper, but not something you see from week to week.  It's certainly visible in a game, but I don't think it's something that carries on from one game to another

I don't know about momentum carrying a team but when we beat the Seahawks & 49ers, the 2 NFC powerhouse franchises this year, it makes other squads stand up & take notice of INDY. Our reputation as a tough, never say die organization is growing. We are no soft, cream puffs anymore.

Are you listening  Bill Polian? I'm talking to you & firing a shot across your bow Mr. 6 time NFL Executive. I respect your GM tenure in INDY, but you made our roster tall with speed & no real girth where we needed it. Not a condemnation on your abilities just a fact sir. 

Momentum is overrated.

All teams since the 2003 Patriots started at least 6-2 in their first 8 games, have lost at least 1 of their last 5 games before going on a run and winning the SB. Just goes to show you that a good team shows its swagger, can falter a bit and then shows again why it was good in the first place in the playoffs.

Since 2003, THE ONLY TEAM that went in with a 4 game winning streak into the playoffs that won it all is the 2005 Steelers. Don't believe the analysts, momentum is overrated and once the playoffs start, everyone, regardless of their stumbles is 0-0. It is a new ball game. 32nd ranked pass D of the Pats in 2011 were not the last ranked pass D in the playoffs. 32nd ranked run D of the Colts in 2006 were not the last ranked run D in the playoffs. 32nd ranked rushing O of the Giants in 2011 were not the last ranked rushing O in the playoffs.

What you do in the playoffs and your health/depth is the only thing that matters at this juncture.

Why does depth matter?  Because a team is not the same in December as it was in September. 

Momentum matters, because how you play at the end of the season is more important than how many lousy teams you ran up the score against early on.

Momentum isn't overrated on a per game basis.  But what you did last week doesn't matter and I agree with you from the standpoint that any momentum you carry from one week to the next is minimal.  Momentum isn't a building block so much as it is just a mindset where everyone is on the same page.

Momentum isn't overrated on a per game basis.  But what you did last week doesn't matter and I agree with you from the standpoint that any momentum you carry from one week to the next is minimal.  Momentum isn't a building block so much as it is just a mindset where everyone is on the same page.

You probably said it way better than anyone else in this thread.

Not sure it is momentum as much as confidence maybe? I think when a team knows they can match up well against another team then they play better. I look at San Fran this year. They have two road victories so far and looking to make it three vs Seattle. I think if they beat Seattle they will feel unstoppable in the SB as they will have had the toughest road there. That being said, I can easily see Brady or Manning beating them. So it still comes down to match ups and coaching and some luck too.

There's so much time between football games and so much said and done that its just very hard to carry over collective emotion among 53 guys...

Baseball, hockey and basketball play every night or every other night...

.... think your team feeling also changes through multiple between games practices,..which you don't have between games in other sports...Some players don't practice well..

....Last week's game just doesn't have much to do with this week's game