Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown pass blocking

Caffrey

There was a play in the game when Dierdorf makes mention of Brown making a good block on a pass completion.  I was happy for him, considering the "Damm Donald"  Manning fiasco and also the miss pass block on the last 4th down play the rushed luck into a incomplete pass in the loss to Miami, early in the season.

Yesterday, in the 3rd quarter, down 22-29, with at 3:02, 2nd and 8.  ILB  Jaime Collins blitzed and Brown tried to cut him and missed and Luck was sacked for a 8 yard loss.  Dierdorf says you can't cut him, you have to square him up high.  If you can believe this, I'm going to disagree about blocking with this HOF lineman.  I'd say you can cut him but if so, you can't miss him.  If Brown cut him and Collins went down, who knows what Luck would have done, probably at least not a sack and maybe a big play because Collins vacated a area that creates more passing lanes.

Then next play 3rd and 16 and was the Whalen no call on holding/pass interference, if caught and brought down with no YAC, it would have been a 12 yard gain.

Anyway, Brown had a oustanding year and I'm not sure if we would have been in the playoffs without him, considering how weak the AFC South was this year, we still would have contending.  I would like to see Brown re-signed.

Pats LB Jaime Collins looks like a keeper.  I mentioned to my son Collins, a 2nd round draft choice was having a good game with the sack, a couple good pass defense plays of Fleener, then he makes a interception deep in coverage.  Looks like they found a replacement for Spikes.  Still, we will beat them down the road.

At the end of the day, thats a huge issue we have.

We run the no huddle with Donald, but he isnt the best blocker, so we often dont find success on first and second down on passing plays. Luck is rushed/hurried/hit and throws incomplete. BUT, hes a better runner at the moment than Trent is. When you add that to Fleeners poor blocking, its a recipe for disaster.

We really need Allen and Ballard back. BEST case scenario is that Trent can step his game up and block better and run better, plus Allens return. Those two positions blocking better will do WONDERS for us on Offense.

Brown is as good a back blocker as we have....but fans expect a 205-pound back to blocks DEs and OLBs every time and it wont always happen...

When Trent or Havili missed bocks (which they did if you go back and look) it isn't mentioned...

Its an argument with an end now because Brown's a free agent and its highly unlikely he'll be back..

But now matter how fundamentally sound they are..small backs cant block the OLB every time

There was a play in the game when Dierdorf makes mention of Brown making a good block on a pass completion.  I was happy for him, considering the "Damm Donald"  Manning fiasco and also the miss pass block on the last 4th down play the rushed luck into a incomplete pass in the loss to Miami, early in the season.

Yesterday, in the 3rd quarter, down 22-29, with at 3:02, 2nd and 8.  ILB  Jaime Collins blitzed and Brown tried to cut him and missed and Luck was sacked for a 8 yard loss.  Dierdorf says you can't cut him, you have to square him up high.  If you can believe this, I'm going to disagree about blocking with this HOF lineman.  I'd say you can cut him but if so, you can't miss him.  If Brown cut him and Collins went down, who knows what Luck would have done, probably at least not a sack and maybe a big play because Collins vacated a area that creates more passing lanes.

Then next play 3rd and 16 and was the Whalen no call on holding/pass interference, if caught and brought down with no YAC, it would have been a 12 yard gain.

Anyway, Brown had a oustanding year and I'm not sure if we would have been in the playoffs without him, considering how weak the AFC South was this year, we still would have contending.  I would like to see Brown re-signed.

Pats LB Jaime Collins looks like a keeper.  I mentioned to my son Collins, a 2nd round draft choice was having a good game with the sack, a couple good pass defense plays of Fleener, then he makes a interception deep in coverage.  Looks like they found a replacement for Spikes.  Still, we will beat them down the road.

you don't cut blitzing linebackers.  it is pass blocking 101

they are too athletic.  you can do it succesfully and the guy can still make the play.  as you have seen

dierdorf was not wrong. 

you don't cut blitzing linebackers.  it is pass blocking 101

they are too athletic.  you can do it succesfully and the guy can still make the play.  as you have seen

dierdorf was not wrong. 

Disagree, just don't miss, if Collins went to the ground, Luck would have enough time to do something.  Collins never went to the ground/stayed on his feet.  Bringing a big man down, hit him low, Football 101, tackling, blocking, whatever.  It was the execution that was the problem.  You hit him high could just as bad a mistake.  I remember the great blocking RB Rocky Bleier trying to take on Randy White high.  Rocky got knocked on his butt and White sacked the QB.  Now, I'm now saying Brown is a good as Bleier nor Collins as good as White in his prime but I remember it. 

Disagree, just don't miss, if Collins went to the ground, Luck would have enough time to do something.  Collins never went to the ground/stayed on his feet.  Bringing a big man down, hit him low, Football 101, tackling, blocking, whatever.  It was the execution that was the problem.  You hit him high could just as bad a mistake.  I remember the great blocking RB Rocky Bleier trying to take on Randy White high.  Rocky got knocked on his butt and White sacked the QB.  Now, I'm now saying Brown is a good as Bleier nor Collins as good as White in his prime but I remember it. 

you can disagree but you are wrong. 

that is not how they are coached.  everytime you disagree shows how little you know.  it is talked about all the time during football broadcasts.  not sure why you are having such a hard time understanding.

backs are not to cut lbers or db's.  they can cut dlinemen.  that is how they are coached.  it is talked about all the time. 

and this is exactly why you dont do it.  they are too athletic.  you will miss.  not everytime but you will miss

arguing this is like you arguing that a rb should carry the ball away from his body as long as he doesn't fumble.  sure it can work but you are not supposed to do it.