Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

joe vellano tripping

coming on strong

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that changed the game up ,down 7 it would have been a first down if they called him for tripping luck -keeping the drive going which instead stalled the drive and led to a patriots touch down.

ugh, yes! There were numerous calls that could have made an impact. And that missed interception in the 3rd or 4th quarter by Tom Brady.  

But in the end, I don't think we were ready as a whole team. I would rather fix those holes and be ready next year!

Vellano should've gotten called on that play there. One of a few missed calls by Pete Morelli.

Vellano was a little chippy out there. I was surprised, he was actually decent out there. He's not a very good player and is only getting time because of injuries. Still, he had a pretty good performance tonight.

I think PFF also gave him a -8 for the Broncos game this year. Definitely not good.

Vellano should've gotten called on that play there. One of a few missed calls by Pete Morelli.

Vellano was a little chippy out there. I was surprised, he was actually decent out there. He's not a very good player and is only getting time because of injuries. Still, he had a pretty good performance tonight.

I think PFF also gave him a -8 for the Broncos game this year. Definitely not good.

He had 54 tackles(20 solo) and 2 sacks in only 8 starts....Thats 17 more tackles(total)and only 2.5 less sacks and 1 pass defensed less in 8 less starts then Cory Redding...He will get better the more playing time he gets

He had 54 tackles(20 solo) and 2 sacks in only 8 starts....Thats 17 more tackles(total)and only 2.5 less sacks and 1 pass defensed less in 8 less starts then Cory Redding...He will get better the more playing time he gets

He's only on the field because Wilfork and Kelly are out for the season and Chris Jones even missed a couple of games this season.

He's nothing more than a 3rd stringer, and there's a chance he's a backup in the future. Pretty much what he was expected to be coming out of college.

Don't compare him to Cory Redding :P

EDIT ADD ON: Chris Jones is something, and that kid has potential.

He's only on the field because Wilfork and Kelly are out for the season and Chris Jones even missed a couple of games this season.

He's nothing more than a 3rd stringer, and there's a chance he's a backup in the future. Pretty much what he was expected to be coming out of college.

Don't compare him to Cory Redding :P

EDIT ADD ON: Chris Jones is something, and that kid has potential.

He has played well for starting 8 games

Yes, that was a key miss call by the refs, and the score was still 22-29.  The previous drive had another miss call, the DB should have been called for holding on Whalen.  If they call Gordy for PI on the Pats previous drive, then should have called the holding the the Pat DB.  Not sure if it would have changed the outcome of the game but maybe, just maybe.

I can't believe you guys aren't furious over that play. Reminds me of Brady last year. Only a Patriots team player would rare back and kick a franchise QB and then high five his buddies on the sidelines. When our guys pull a bush league move like that ( walden I believe), we were mad at him and criticized him. The Pats are quite proud of anything that resembles cheating.

Blown call but Colts had several chances besides that one down a score or less and didn't take advantage tonight. Pats out played the Colts even if you take out the officiating going New England's way.

When INDY kept kicking FGs, I kept saying to myself "darn it INDY! We are not good enough to beat NE with only 3 points to show for it." If Bradshaw would have been healthy tonight, the score would have much, much tighter IMO. 

Yes, we lost. I accept that, but next year, I want our RBs to drop the intimidation hammer & finish runs too. Tonight Logan Mankins said "no one wants to tackle Blount." Trust me, Logan NE doesn't wanna mess with Bradshaw either. You last SB loss demonstrated that inside Lucas Oil Stadium in 2011 SB XLVI. 

I can't believe you guys aren't furious over that play. Reminds me of Brady last year. Only a Patriots team player would rare back and kick a franchise QB and then high five his buddies on the sidelines. When our guys pull a bush league move like that ( walden I believe), we were mad at him and criticized him. The Pats are quite proud of anything that resembles cheating.

Headbutting a player who has his helmet off with Waldens helmet on is leaps and bounds different then a player trying to make a tackle on a player by using his foot to make a tackle

Headbutting a player who has his helmet off with Waldens helmet on is leaps and bounds different then a player trying to make a tackle on a player by using his foot to make a tackle

Not in opinion, it's not. He didn't stick his leg out to trip, he kicked lucks leg on purpose. By rule it is called a trip, but it was a bush league move.

I can't believe you guys aren't furious over that play. Reminds me of Brady last year. Only a Patriots team player would rare back and kick a franchise QB and then high five his buddies on the sidelines. When our guys pull a bush league move like that ( walden I believe), we were mad at him and criticized him. 

As I mentioned under Jules's Luck topic previously, Joe Vellano's tripping bothered me for about 2 minutes, but the more I thought about the more I liked that the penalty wasn't called so we can use it as motivation next season like a unified rallying cry "Neither LUCK nor INDY will TRIP on our Playoff path for Lombardi Greatness next year." 

Don't bury this fury use it as the final ember in a raging fire to carry the team across the finish line. Just my 2 cents on the situation. 

Not in opinion, it's not. He didn't stick his leg out to trip, he kicked lucks leg on purpose. By rule it is called a trip, but it was a bush league move.

I agree LD. It was a violation that should have been called no question. It was not accidental at all. It was deliberate. That fact was made abundantly clear on replay.  

Joe Vellano was petrified that Luck was going to scramble for the 1st down. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in complete & utter denial. Not a river in Egypt here ladies & gentlemen. 

I agree LD. It was a violation that should have been called no question. It was not accidental at all. It was deliberate. That fact was made abundantly clear on replay.

It wouldn't surprise me much if BB teaches his guys to do that.. I didn't see Vellano get in trouble. He got high fiived by players. Everyone knows that playoffs come down to 3rd down drives. That play was big.

So true!!

It wouldn't surprise me much if BB teaches his guys to do that.. I didn't see Vellano get in trouble. He got high fiived by players. Everyone knows that playoffs come down to 3rd down drives. That play was big.

No to mention the other calls that really killed our momentum the nonsense PI that continued their drive to give them 7 instead if 3

You do make a compelling case there LD because I didn't see any coach, coordinator, or the grey hoodie himself chatize Joe or even raise any eyebrow over the fear that INDY should have received a 1st down. 

Most coach's would get red in the face & say "just what in the hades do you think you are doing Mr. Vellano?!!" 

You do make a compelling case there LD because I didn't see any coach, coordinator, or the grey hoodie himself chatize Joe or even raise any eyebrow over the fear that INDY should have received a 1st down.

Most coach's would get red in the face & say "just what in the hades do you think you are doing Mr. Vellano?!!"

cheating is standard for the Patriots

No to mention the other calls that really killed our momentum the nonsense PI that continued their drive to give them 7 instead if 3

Yeah, I didn't like PI call while going up against WR Julian Edelman [or was it Amendola I forget] either CF12. I thought I saw our DB turned his head back & looked at least once to locate the ball. But, I will admit I wasn't exactly impartial during that drive either. I can't lie. LOL! 

The zebras in this game did appear to let everyone play & I appreciated that. Man, I was praying for a Colts TD vs a safety earlier in the game too. A major letdown...Bummer...

Yeah, I didn't like PI call while going up against WR Julian Edelman [or was it Amendola I forget] either CF12. I thought I saw our DB turned his head back & looked at least once to locate the ball. But, I will admit I wasn't exactly impartial during that drive either. I can't lie. LOL!

The zebras in this game did appear to let everyone play & I appreciated that. Man, I was praying for a Colts TD vs a safety earlier in the game too. A major letdown...Bummer...

Just * me off that the pats straight up leveled our WR and we couldn't get a PI call. But Edelman does a little acting and boom he gets one on a pass that wasn't even catchable

Just * me off that the pats straight up leveled our WR and we couldn't get a PI call. But Edelman does a little acting and boom he gets one on a pass that wasn't even catchable

That's exactly what I yelled at my TV screen the moment it happened "Oh bull...That ball was not even bleeping catchable!" I swear to you CF12 that's exactly what I said too.  haha

That's exactly what I yelled at my TV screen the moment it happened "Oh bull...That ball was not even bleeping catchable!" I swear to you CF12 that's exactly what I said too. haha

I said just about the same thing I know for a fact the bleeping was in there haha it came out alot tonight

we couldn't get a PI call. But Edelman does a little acting and boom he gets one on a pass that wasn't even catchable

The strange thing is that Pagano never called a ref over to make that case CF12. Pagano probably figured the LUCK & company were so great at comebacks this year that it wouldn't matter in the final 2 minutes or so. 

I would have pushed harder on that call, demanded an explanation, & asked if I could challenge the ruling on the field. Brady's ball was really high & nowhere near Edelman. Even with textbook coverage, that would have been an incomplete pass IMO easy. 

No matter what the bad calls were, no matter the bad bounces, everything in general, one thing is for certain. The Patriots played hard nosed, old school, run it down you throat until you are so beaten down, you can't stop them football. How many times have you seen a Patriots game, where Brady threw 0 TD passes. They rotated their backs, gave the backs the holes and they crushed us..plain and simple. And Brady did just enough to keep the Colts off balance with their short passing attack

Yes there were bad calls, yes the safety could easily have been a TD, Bethea could have hung on to what would have been a super catch on an INT in the end zone. Rogers could have caught even one of the 4 or 5 passes thrown to him, that would have kept a couple of drives alive. We also found out, in Blount, that he is what we hoped T-Rich would and should be like as a Beast type RB, in the NFL.

But you can't argue...that tonight, the Patriots were the better team. They had a game plan, stuck to it, and just ran all over the Colts.

I hate losing, especially to Brady, Bellicheck, and the Patriots. But I have to congratulate them on a very impressive win, over a team, that is still learning about itself everyday.

We had some chances, and didn't take advantage of them when given..We are still a very young team, that will continue to improve over the coming years. I for one, am proud of what our Colts accomplished this year (again), when no one took us seriously (again), and said that we would maybe be around 500 (again). Hopefully, we can plug the holes in our game with new players, and another year of playoff experience, and go father next year, to shut the mouths of those non-believers one more time.

No matter what the bad calls were, no matter the bad bounces, everything in general, one thing is for certain. The Patriots played hard nosed, old school, run it down you throat until you are so beaten down, you can't stop them football. How many times have you seen a Patriots game, where Brady threw 0 TD passes. They rotated their backs, gave the backs the holes and they crushed us..plain and simple. And Brady did just enough to keep the Colts off balance with their short passing attack

Yes there were bad calls, yes the safety could easily have been a TD, Bethea could have hung on to what would have been a super catch on an INT in the end zone. Rogers could have caught even one of the 4 or 5 passes thrown to him, that would have kept a couple of drives alive. We also found out, in Blount, that he is what we hoped T-Rich would and should be like as a Beast type RB, in the NFL.

But you can't argue...that tonight, the Patriots were the better team. They had a game plan, stuck to it, and just ran all over the Colts.

I hate losing, especially to Brady, Bellicheck, and the Patriots. But I have to congratulate them on a very impressive win, over a team, that is still learning about itself everyday.

We had some chances, and didn't take advantage of them when given..We are still a very young team, that will continue to improve over the coming years. I for one, am proud of what our Colts accomplished this year (again), when no one took us seriously (again), and said that we would maybe be around 500 (again). Hopefully, we can plug the holes in our game with new players, and another year of playoff experience, and go father next year, to shut the mouths of those non-believers one more time.

Bradshaw is my vote for our beast back right now not Richardson. 

I gave full credit to the Patriots under that Luck topic in Jules thread. However, that won't stop me from highlighting horrible calls ever. I also acknowledged how proud I was of our INDY squad too. 

You are right though TYG the Colts have some good experience, talent, & momentum to build on. I agree 100%. I expect good things from Ballard next year too. We do need to generate a better pass rush though especially right up the middle in an opposing QB's face. I love Mathis & Redding & take no issue with either one BTW. Your man Hilton played fantastic too IMHO.  :thmup:

Joe Vellano was petrified that Luck was going to scramble for the 1st down. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in complete & utter denial. Not a river in Egypt here ladies & gentlemen.

Dear god, are you kidding me, SW?

Velano was ENGAGED! He could barely see Luck; there was a defender between the two of them.

Please, folks. This faux outrage is ridiculous.

That was not a penalty. Vellano was clearly engaged and was then pushed, which caused him to take that step.

Luck chose to ran where Velano was stepping.

If anyone wants to use Dierdorf's misconception of true, by all means, have at it.

You're out of your mind to think that was incidental. You Pats fans cease to amaze me with the levels you will stoop to. Instead of taking the win and moving on you have decided to come to the other teams forum to troll and pollute it with this nonsense.

But what should I expect from fans of a franchise that are CONFIRMED cheaters?

Dear god, are you kidding me, SW?

Velano was ENGAGED! He could barely see Luck; there was a defender between the two of them.

Please, folks. This faux outrage is ridiculous.

If Luck had run for a 1st down, that would have kept that drive alive VL. Please don't tell me with a straight face that Joe's leg being out was a pure accident. I won't go so far as to say that NE endorses cheating as other's may believe. That notion is totally unfounded & it has no basis in fact. DId NE play a superior game tonight & soundly defeat us? Absolutely. But, you & I will never see eye to eye on this tripping play which is fine. 

Brady sliding into Ed Reed with his foot/cleats was an accident during that Ravens game; what Joe Vellano did...No way, no how, not on your life. Sorry VL. I will never buy that explanation in a million years. 

One play does not define a game. Your squad made more plays than we did & I give your team credit for that. We had plenty of opportunities to keep drives going & we failed. To quote Mike Tomlin: "We don't live in the excuses world." Congratulations NE. You played a phenomenal game.   

I will concede that even if tripping had been called on Joe there is no guarantee INDY would have won the game, but I would have been mesmerized to see how we would have responded at the close of that drive. Speculation means next to nothing I realize that. Nevertheless, it would have been cool to see what direction momentum might have swung at that point. 

I won't go so far as to say that NE endorses cheating as other's may believe. That notion is totally unfounded has no basis in fact.

They were caught violating rules and video taping other teams signals. The team and the coach were fined and lost a draft pick as a result. How is there no basis in fact? If you're gonna call somebody out than just do it and don't try to disguise it in a "I'm better than my fellow fans" comment. But when you do at least know what you're talking about.

That wasn't the only blown call of the game either. Edelman grabbed Gordy on that PI, the missed holding on Brady's third down conversion around the 30. PI on Whalen, and the tripping call. 

All of those were in the open field too so there was no excuse to miss those. WWE.

That was not a penalty. Vellano was clearly engaged and was then pushed, which caused him to take that step.

Luck chose to ran where Velano was stepping.

If anyone wants to use Dierdorf's misconception of true, by all means, have at it.

So Mike Pereira, you know, the former head of NFL officials, has a misconception about tripping as well?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikePereira/status/422211813241913344

On the tripping:

@MikePereira: That is a trip and should have been called. Umpire in his old position would likely get that.

On the ridiculous late hit on Luck:

@MikePereira: @willrussell_3 >>I thought it was late and should have been called. The defender hit him after taking two steps.

@MikePereira: Closing up. Lots of haters taking shots tonight. I give the crew a C. Too many big misses when the game was on the line. Will write about it

That wasn't the only blown call of the game either. Edelman grabbed Gordy on that PI, the missed holding on Brady's third down conversion around the 30. PI on Whalen, and the tripping call.

All of those were in the open field too so there was no excuse to miss those. WWE.

I thought that was going to be PI on Edelman. He pulled Gordy to the ground.