Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton gets the TD record [Merge]

lance.acres

The stats prove nothing. You do know this right? Brady could have thrown a screen or a dump off that was taken to the house when up by three scores and it will look like he was piling on when in fact his receiver made a great play similar to the way Thomas took screens to the house this year for Manning. You would have to break down all of the scoring situations to get an actual reflection of this so called "distinction."

Now you want to dissect how Manning got all his TDs vs Brady's TDs and the quality of it?.

So throwing a screen is a guaranteed TD, why didnt Brady or any other QB go for it all the time?.

I mean what are you trying to convey?.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stats prove nothing. You do know this right? Brady could have thrown a screen or a dump off that was taken to the house when up by three scores and it will look like he was piling on when in fact his receiver made a great play similar to the way Thomas took screens to the house this year for Manning. You would have to break down all of the scoring situations to get an actual reflection of this so called "distinction."

That's an entirely different issue.

You'd have to go back and break down Brady's scores, but the fact remains that there are more of them with a 17 point lead. I don't personally think that means Brady was running up the score. But there's a distinction.

And the thing is, if you do break down every scoring situation, the distinction still breaks toward Brady, clearly.

That's an entirely different issue.

You'd have to go back and break down Brady's scores, but the fact remains that there are more of them with a 17 point lead. I don't personally think that means Brady was running up the score. But there's a distinction.

And the thing is, if you do break down every scoring situation, the distinction still breaks toward Brady, clearly.

But isn't that the distinction? That Brady was running it up? Without looking up the scores then it is impossible to say either way. All I know is Moss and Stallworth took a lot of short passes that year to the house and Moss routinely outjumped 2 to 3 defenders and took the ball to the house.

The Pats were spread O team with Maroney as their featured back who ran for 800 yards. Brady didn't have James or Moreno. The strength was the pass by a lot.

I'd say the samething if Brady broke the record or any other QB and call out the fact the NFL has been watered down by rule changes and rule enforcements started by Bill Polian back in 2005.  I'd like the NFL to go back to what it was pre 2005.  That's my gripe with this single season record regardless of who has it.

And you know what is in Peyton's head?  He could have gone to the 49ers which was and is a more complete team with a better D and do what Jim Harbaugh wanted.  Now you just contradicted yourself.  You said Peyton didn't pick the Broncos out of selfishness, then you admitted he wanted to take his offense with him and the only team that allowed that was the Broncos.  lol  Peyton could have gone to Seattle and be in a team with a great D and be a role player and just do what the coach wanted sort of like Joe Flacco with the Ravens....which actually works and wins super bowls.  Look at the QB's who won super bowls since 2000 = Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Big Ben 2 rings, Eli Manning 2 rings, Joe Flaco.  7 teams won Super Bowls with mediocre QB's but with great defenses.  When Brady won super bowls he wasn't a great QB, his stats were not great but the Pats had a great defense.

So Peyton again chose the selfishness route of wanting to do things his way and not the team's.

That's pretty much my point.as Peyton wouldn't have to be dealing with a below average to bad defense if he went to the 49ers or Seahawks.  His wanting to have full control of an offense even with a team with a bad defense is selfish on his part.

I agree with you about the "watered down" pass defenses in today's NFL, which is why I think at some point soon some QB is going to throw for 60 TDs. But they aren't going to go back... between the "defenseless receiver" rules and the rules geared toward protecting QBs, it will only get worse. 

As for Manning's decision to go to Denver, no... I obviously don't know what his line of thought was. But I can't fault a guy,  for wanting to play in an offensive system that he basically had a hand in creating, that is catered to his strengths, and in which he's had a lot of previous success. I would also think that ANY quarterback would look at the talent pool waiting for him. Of those three teams (Denver, SF, Seattle), which had the best combination of skill players prior to the 2012 season?

I've never really been concerned, as a fan, with individual records and accomplishments. I'll take championships over any of that. 

Wow, this thing has spiraled downward pretty fast.

I posted something last week about the last five or six games of New England's 2007 season. They were all pretty close ones, except for maybe one game if I remember right. 

The Patriots were indeed "running it up" during the early and middle parts of the season, in large part due to the accusations around Spygate. I think that's an x-factor that needs to be considered. It wasn't just, "Let's get Brady the TD record," it was, "Let's beat every team we play by 100 points." 

That said, I'm getting out of this thread before it gets ridiculous, lol...

Wow, this thing has spiraled downward pretty fast.

I posted something last week about the last five or six games of New England's 2007 season. They were all pretty close ones, except for maybe one game if I remember right. 

The Patriots were indeed "running it up" during the early and middle parts of the season, in large part due to the accusations around Spygate. I think that's an x-factor that needs to be considered. It wasn't just, "Let's get Brady the TD record," it was, "Let's beat every team we play by 100 points." 

That said, I'm getting out of this thread before it gets ridiculous, lol...

I've always thought that was the case. Spygate happened, and then it was "screw them all, let's blow everyone out the water." And for a while, they did. And after that, they had a chance to go undefeated, and that became the primary focus. I don't think anyone was overly concerned with the TD record at any point, and I could realistically see Brady sitting out the second half of the final Giants game if not for 16-0. I definitely don't think he throws back to back bombs to Randy Moss in the 4th quarter if they're not trying to go undefeated.

I've always thought that was the case. Spygate happened, and then it was "screw them all, let's blow everyone out the water." And for a while, they did. And after that, they had a chance to go undefeated, and that became the primary focus. I don't think anyone was overly concerned with the TD record at any point, and I could realistically see Brady sitting out the second half of the final Giants game if not for 16-0. I definitely don't think he throws back to back bombs to Randy Moss in the 4th quarter if they're not trying to go undefeated.

Screw them all except Giants :)

It makes a ton of sense. A lot of people in and around the NFL were questioning the validity of their previous success, particularly on offense of course since Spygate was about stealing defensive signals. So the first two months of the season were like a giant flipping of the bird to all those critics and naysayers. 

I always wonder, if they had lost the week 13 game to Baltimore (they were basically saved when Rex Ryan called a timeout before the Ravens appeared to stop Brady on a sneak on 4th-and-1) and then not played the final game of the season, against the Giants, with the urgency to win, if the Super Bowl might have turned out differently! Even though they lost, I thought that game also kind of catapulted NY into the postseason with a ton of confidence.

It makes a ton of sense. A lot of people in and around the NFL were questioning the validity of their previous success, particularly on offense of course since Spygate was about stealing defensive signals. So the first two months of the season were like a giant flipping of the bird to all those critics and naysayers. 

I always wonder, if they had lost the week 13 game to Baltimore (they were basically saved when Rex Ryan called a timeout before the Ravens appeared to stop Brady on a sneak on 4th-and-1) and then not played the final game of the season, against the Giants, with the urgency to win, if the Super Bowl might have turned out differently! Even though they lost, I thought that game also kind of catapulted NY into the postseason with a ton of confidence.

I'm a firm believer in the butterfly effect. No question in my mind that those two games in particular had a huge impact on the way the season and eventually the Super Bowl played out.

The only thing I wish had been different is that the Colts hadn't lost Harrison, Freeney and Mathis that year. Would have been a fun AFCCG.

& I wish the Colts went for it and kept up that winning momentum

again , wish had likes 

and also most important stat of all ( lol ) but u had to love this, have a good day / night , I'm gone & happy holidays to all

nakedpeyton.gif

I'm a firm believer in the butterfly effect. No question in my mind that those two games in particular had a huge impact on the way the season and eventually the Super Bowl played out.

The only thing I wish had been different is that the Colts hadn't lost Harrison, Freeney and Mathis that year. Would have been a fun AFCCG.

Man... the Pats could barely beat the Texans.

Manning goes in there, gets 400 yards, 4 TDs, breaks the record and kills them by 24.

Should be fun to see what the Pats fans say.

Do keep in mind that's a injured Pats squad. If Brady had the weapons that Manning had I'm sure he could have easily done the same thing. Not trying to diss credit Manning but lets not get too carried away.

I firmly believe the opposite of you and GoPats.

Belichick thinking of the past? Not his MO. And you can't stand there and say let's blow them out of the water and then do it. It just happens during a game.

If he could blow out teams this season he would do it for no other reason than football.

There were 2 main games where running up the score was actual. The reason Brady gave was trying out 2 new plays with Moss and Welker. Moss had almost zero training in camp. I saw the two plays Brady spoke of. One to Welker in the front left corner of the end zone and the other Moss to the rear. One was practiced against Washington (where the run up the score thing was started and used as the excuse for any other game where they scored a lot) and the other team I forget.  Sorry NE practiced at the opponent's expense. Too bad. 

I then saw each of those 2  plays used the following weeks respectively used for real when the game was not in hand.

The other thing Brady said was we're not just trying to win but kill teams to intimidate. One of the definitions of running up the score is in fact intimidation and I saw it work where teams (not all fell for it) were intimidated so much they changed the way they did things to try to match the Patriots which failed worse than if they had stuck to what they did best. Those are facts.

I agree about the last game to go for the 16-0. Why wouldn't you. Team records are impressive for me whereas individual not so much. Still, at the end of the season a player going for a record and the coach letting him I have no problem with such as LT's record for example. Moss also got his record that last game.

Congrats to Peyton on setting the passing TD records, I was able to watch most of the game . . . with the pats game flexed to 435 slot, the Broncos should be playing their starters, so that should help too . . . the Broncos offense has been very impressive this season . . .

It will interesting to see how long this record will last, its has been broken three times in the past 10 years . . . but you need an elite QB, good WRs and some things to fall right to have a chance, it is not easy to pass for 3+ TDs a game . . .

BcMLUzYCMAEH8tz.jpg

what exactly are you driving at with this post? . . . I don't really follow . . . . what I am supposed to get out of this stat? . . . I don't know the time in the game in which the TDs were scored, for example leading by 17 points at the 8 min mark of the 2nd qtr or leading by 17 points with 4 mins to go in the 4th . . . so I am not really sure what the stats explains if we do not know the time in which the pass was thrown . . . no?

surely, you do not disagree with a QB throwing a TD passing leading by 17 at some point in the 2nd or even the 3rd qtr . . . indeed, in the Baltimore game Manning threw a screen pass up 15 with 4+mins to go in the 4th qtr that went for a TD . . did you have a problem with that throw?  I did not, did you? . . .

See Dustin, just posting stats does not really get at anything . . . in fact what you really need to do, which I have done, is to look at games and see if the team left their QB in the game one possession too long . . . when you do that you will find that in both 2004 and 2007 there is an argument that the teams in question left their QB in for one possession "too many" in three games, so three possession all season, not really enough to really define a season . . . all of the other possession the team is entitle to run their offense as the game is not in hand thereby making the intention of your stat well moot . . .

in fact your stat only confirms what actually happened in 2013, I can not think of a possession in which the team left their QB too long . . . so no extra possession on this hand, but on the other hand with all the games being close, as reflective in your stats btw, the QB was in the game for the entire game, and more often than not was still in their trying to score like it was the start of the game . . .as opposed to 2004 or 2007 where the QB was on the bench and/or when playing had possessions in which they were trying to shorten the game with clock killing drives and resulting in reduced possession (and scoring opportunities) for both teams  . . .  

So the numbers Dustin posted don't show a distinction?

I would kindly direct your attention to my prior post for a response to your question . . .

In regards to AMfootball's comment that you quoted above, when one defense gives up more points invariably the score will be closer thereby changing the way the offense will run later in the game as sited in my above post . . .

yes I am a firm believer in the trying to run the table is a continuum that adds pressure and other things that might not let one be oneself in a given game . . . like subconsciously one feels like you are holding up this thing since September . . .  and when you lose a game it kind of resets things . . . I am glad we tried it, but am not disappoint when we loose our first game . . .

yes had your team not had injuries and we had reset our batteries it would of been a great AFFCG, but it was not meant to be . . . as it happened we barely got by the Chargers who themselves were injured . . .

All you guys are proving my point where I said that regular season stats are overrated.  Peyton only won a super bowl in the year where his regular season stats were below his career average and all they asked him to do in the super bowl was manage the ball and they ran the ball.

2004 Manning was MVP with amazing regular season stats and they lose in the playoffs.

2007 Patriots broke offensive records, Brady MVP with a record 50 td's that year and lost in the super bowl.

2010 Patriots 14-2 as Brady is MVP and they lose in the playoffs.

2011 Packers almost went undefeated as Aaron Rodgers was the MVP and they lost to the Giants in the playoffs.

2011 Patriots go to the Super Bowl and lost to the Giants who had a better defense.

All the pressure is on the Broncos to win the Super Bowl.  They were already favored to make the super bowl before they added Welker.  They broke offensive records with still a game remaining in the season.  Peyton most likely MVP.  If the Broncos don't win the super bowl than it's a choke job and proves my point that regular season stats mean nothing.

I don't care which QB broke the record because of the rules of the NFL today allowing for this ridiculous obscene offensive numbers allowed almost given on a silver plater to offenses thanks to Bill Polian in 2005.  There are good odds these offensive numbers will be broken again.

I think the NFL's marketing and business department are having a say in this as they think big offensive numbers increasing tv ratings.  The NFL was great in the 1990's when they had more a balance and teams still put up points.

All you guys are proving my point where I said that regular season stats are overrated.  Peyton only won a super bowl in the year where his regular season stats were below his career average and all they asked him to do in the super bowl was manage the ball and they ran the ball.

2004 Manning was MVP with amazing regular season stats and they lose in the playoffs.

2007 Patriots broke offensive records, Brady MVP with a record 50 td's that year and lost in the super bowl.

2011 Packers almost went undefeated as Aaron Rodgers was the MVP and they lost to the Giants in the playoffs.

2011 Patriots go to the Super Bowl and lost to the Giants who had a better defense.

All the pressure is on the Broncos to win the Super Bowl.  They were already favored to make the super bowl before they added Welker.  They broke offensive records with still a game remaining in the season.  Peyton most likely MVP.  If the Broncos don't win the super bowl than it's a choke job and proves my point that regular season stats mean nothing.

I don't care which QB broke the record because of the rules of the NFL today allowing for this ridiculous obscene offensive numbers allowed almost given on a silver plater to offenses thanks to Bill Polian in 2005.  There are good odds these offensive numbers will be broken again.

I think the NFL's marketing and business department are having a say in this as they think big offensive numbers increasing tv ratings.  The NFL was great in the 1990's when they had more a balance and teams still put up points.

Right on the money

yes I am a firm believer in the trying to run the table is a continuum that adds pressure and other things that might not let one be oneself in a given game . . . like subconsciously one feels like you are holding up this thing since September . . .  and when you lose a game it kind of resets things . . . I am glad we tried it, but am not disappoint when we loose our first game . . .

yes had your team not had injuries and we had reset our batteries it would of been a great AFFCG, but it was not meant to be . . . as it happened we barely got by the Chargers who themselves were injured . . .

Definitelly

Right on the money

Chris Mortenson I think it was yesterday that addressed this stuff , was on NFL insiders I think , or another show  playing in background as worked on computer

As far as the TD record and a pass Happy league he said forget that, Peyton has now done it twice, has done it in only 15 games and has 16 more TD's than next closet Brees , that goes beyond anything thats a pass happy league as far beyond the others & still may break yardage and get more TD's & has done it without his all pro LT

Also he said Peyton was happy about this as they thought they needed TDs & points , like in Dallas game etc all year and not just FG to win ,, they wanted to make sure scored enough so no Raven like playoff loss, but  esp at years beginning with no Von miller or Doom and no idea what D would be really like, and often many came in 2nd half or last quarter ,( last game 3 in last quarter ) as TDs often come in bunches as Peyton needs time to first find weakness in opposing D in some games, even Vs Texans he was on his back alot though not sacked untill he got that rhythm going

Chris however said as a team to expect Peyton to continue and take a SB win he doesnt think so as D now has lost  Big Vick, Rahim Moore who may come back yet ,, Wolfe is unknown if can play, Now Von Miller again ( when won without Miller at years start had all the others noted ) bailey back but limited , Woodward demoted ( hasnt been same since stinger ) & Paris Lenon in  & The D may not get opposing team off the field to let Peyton score enough similar to what chargers Did by running the ball on a team that was great at stopping it early on in year  but now finds that with the injuries similar to pass coverage as weakness

I will add Bolden also rotates in as safety often for Duke & Bolden has been burned, ever since Duke had ankle injury, and when Webster pressed into service a good QB, Rivers Ie burned him good,,, he  may play this week with a cast on arm/hand Post thumb surgery 

Denver has used more Defensive combinations than any other team due to a year of increasing injuries & have had many a miscue , undisciplined play of late due to that

as such its a tall task in playoffs to continue an offensive onslaught, i sure hope so, just its a tall task Vs playoff contenders each week and hurt D that may not get opposing team off the field easily and when does may have fiven up so much yardage that field position may then be altered , & that was Morts Point & why he thinks as a team Denver wont win the SB , he didnt say if he thought Denver would or wouldn't get to the SB

This is good for our Colts but have heavy heart for Peyton

This is good for our Colts but have heavy heart for Peyton

yep, i am already mentally preparing for the worst.

Really feel bad for Peyton.

Dan Koppen

Ryan Clady

Chris Kuper

Champ Bailey

Von Miller

Rahim Moore

Derek Wolfe

Kevin Vikerson

Wes Welker

and more

Each and everyone above are the first team starters.

Dan Koppen

Ryan Clady

Chris Kuper

Champ Bailey

Von Miller

Rahim Moore

Derek Wolfe

Kevin Vikerson

Wes Welker

and more

Colts Vs Peyton  - u have to wonder the pain of Peytons &^ Eli's Parents when they play each other, probably just are hoping no one gets injured and ends in a tie

I have never seen that I quoted what u wrote and in the quote  above u listed all the injuries yet they didnt appear in intial post

as far as just Knoppen, have to say Manny has been a great suprise

anyway getting off for awhile, have a great holiday

Colts Vs Peyton  - u have to wonder the pain of Peytons &^ Eli's Parents when they play each other, probably just are hoping no one gets injured and ends in a tie

I have never seen that I quoted what u wrote and in the quote  above u listed all the injuries yet they didnt appear in intial post

as far as just Knoppen, have to say Manny has been a great suprise

anyway getting off for awhile, have a great holiday

Happy holidays man. Enjoy yourself.

Dan Koppen

Ryan Clady

Chris Kuper

Champ Bailey

Von Miller

Rahim Moore

Derek Wolfe

Kevin Vikerson

Wes Welker

and more

Wow!  I didn't know all those players were injured for the Broncos.  Are all those players done for the rest of the season or will some of them come back for the remainder of the season and playoffs?

Wow!  I didn't know all those players were injured for the Broncos.  Are all those players done for the rest of the season or will some of them come back for the remainder of the season and playoffs?

Dan Koppen   IR

Ryan Clady      IR

Chris Kuper    game day inactive usually  maybe played once / ytwice when RT Franklin out and totalkly reshuffled OL

Champ Bailey  totally has played 2 games worth of time, played limited for first time in weekss as nuckel back last week, rusty

Von Miller          IR

Rahim Moore   IR with may retiyn designation for playoffs if musscle / circulation isue surgery healed and gets Medical OK

Derek Wolfe      had seizures, hasnt practiced for weeks , still being evaluated, allowed some exercises, is an unknown for                                                    playoffs , supposedly lost  much weighht

Kevin Vikerson  IR

Wes Welker       undergoing concusion protocols, can exercise lightly

also

starter Mid LB Woodward had stinger, was out came back and hasnt been same so lost starting job to Paris Lenon and rotates                                             in to rest him

starter SS Duke I , had ankle sprain, came back , probably to soon , nevere the same rotates in with bolden  , Mike adams &                                          newly signed first played   last week  Mike Huff

LB Stewart Bradly  IR      

Safety Quinton Carter      IR                could me more this off top of head from list given & few i remembered

what exactly are you driving at with this post? . . . I don't really follow . . . . what I am supposed to get out of this stat? . . . I don't know the time in the game in which the TDs were scored, for example leading by 17 points at the 8 min mark of the 2nd qtr or leading by 17 points with 4 mins to go in the 4th . . . so I am not really sure what the stats explains if we do not know the time in which the pass was thrown . . . no?

surely, you do not disagree with a QB throwing a TD passing leading by 17 at some point in the 2nd or even the 3rd qtr . . . indeed, in the Baltimore game Manning threw a screen pass up 15 with 4+mins to go in the 4th qtr that went for a TD . . did you have a problem with that throw?  I did not, did you? . . .

See Dustin, just posting stats does not really get at anything . . . in fact what you really need to do, which I have done, is to look at games and see if the team left their QB in the game one possession too long . . . when you do that you will find that in both 2004 and 2007 there is an argument that the teams in question left their QB in for one possession "too many" in three games, so three possession all season, not really enough to really define a season . . . all of the other possession the team is entitle to run their offense as the game is not in hand thereby making the intention of your stat well moot . . .

in fact your stat only confirms what actually happened in 2013, I can not think of a possession in which the team left their QB too long . . . so no extra possession on this hand, but on the other hand with all the games being close, as reflective in your stats btw, the QB was in the game for the entire game, and more often than not was still in their trying to score like it was the start of the game . . .as opposed to 2004 or 2007 where the QB was on the bench and/or when playing had possessions in which they were trying to shorten the game with clock killing drives and resulting in reduced possession (and scoring opportunities) for both teams  . . .  

Not only are you absolutely correct, but there's also something that I've always thought about ever since Brady broke the record in 2007 and we got into all those 'which was more impressive' arguments: WHO CARES?

For the life of me I will never understand why people got so caught up over whether Peyton's 2004 or Brady's 2007 was more impressive. The fact was that Brady broke the record. Period.

"Oh but if Peyton didn't sit, he would have had more!" 

-Well he did sit, so he didn't have more.

"Well Brady ran up the score, Peyton HAD to score!"

-So what? It is the job of the offense to score a touchdown every time they have the ball. Why is it any less impressive to do it when you already have a lead than it is when the game is closer?

After all those arguments, all the charts, all the analysis of how many possessions each guy had and what conditions each touchdown was scored under, whuddya know? It's all irrelevant now anyways because Peyton just broke the record again. Period. It just shows how foolish these 'Greatest of All Time' arguments have become when trying to base them on the most recent accomplishment. It's gone back and forth so many times that it truly is just based now on who the flavor of the week is. 

And quite frankly, as has been mentioned, the only thing that matters is the next 5 weeks of football. If the Broncos cant win this Championship, then when the NFL Network does their next iteration of 'the missing rings', it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos at the top of that list. And that will be just one more thing that is added to the neverending comparisons between the two guys.

I firmly believe the opposite of you and GoPats.

Belichick thinking of the past? Not his MO. And you can't stand there and say let's blow them out of the water and then do it. It just happens during a game.

If he could blow out teams this season he would do it for no other reason than football.

There were 2 main games where running up the score was actual. The reason Brady gave was trying out 2 new plays with Moss and Welker. Moss had almost zero training in camp. I saw the two plays Brady spoke of. One to Welker in the front left corner of the end zone and the other Moss to the rear. One was practiced against Washington (where the run up the score thing was started and used as the excuse for any other game where they scored a lot) and the other team I forget.  Sorry NE practiced at the opponent's expense. Too bad. 

I then saw each of those 2  plays used the following weeks respectively used for real when the game was not in hand.

The other thing Brady said was we're not just trying to win but kill teams to intimidate. One of the definitions of running up the score is in fact intimidation and I saw it work where teams (not all fell for it) were intimidated so much they changed the way they did things to try to match the Patriots which failed worse than if they had stuck to what they did best. Those are facts.

I agree about the last game to go for the 16-0. Why wouldn't you. Team records are impressive for me whereas individual not so much. Still, at the end of the season a player going for a record and the coach letting him I have no problem with such as LT's record for example. Moss also got his record that last game.

Maybe it's not something that was BB-driven, but Bruschi said directly:

“I was there in 2007. I remember when it broke out,” Bruschi said. “I remember everyone discrediting our past successes and our past championships. So all we did, we had motivation to go out there and beat everyone by 20 or beat everyone by 30. Or, at times, when we were beating them by 30, pour it on and beat them by 40. That was the only thing we could do was go answer on the field to prove how good we were as players and how good the coaches were on that football team. You go 16-0, an undefeated regular season and lose in the Super Bowl to the New York Giants. You think your point is proven right there.” 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721524/bruschi-comes-to-belichicks-defense

I don't think a lot happens in that locker room that Belichick doesn't control. Maybe he didn't address the team with it, but I certainly believe that he at the very least pulled the captains/leaders aside and planted the necessary seeds.

I do agree that a lot of it was about intimidation. Give your opponent no hope or faith that he can win, and you've already beaten him.

Maybe it's not something that was BB-driven, but Bruschi said directly:

“I was there in 2007. I remember when it broke out,” Bruschi said. “I remember everyone discrediting our past successes and our past championships. So all we did, we had motivation to go out there and beat everyone by 20 or beat everyone by 30. Or, at times, when we were beating them by 30, pour it on and beat them by 40. That was the only thing we could do was go answer on the field to prove how good we were as players and how good the coaches were on that football team. You go 16-0, an undefeated regular season and lose in the Super Bowl to the New York Giants. You think your point is proven right there.” 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721524/bruschi-comes-to-belichicks-defense

I don't think a lot happens in that locker room that Belichick doesn't control. Maybe he didn't address the team with it, but I certainly believe that he at the very least pulled the captains/leaders aside and planted the necessary seeds.

I do agree that a lot of it was about intimidation. Give your opponent no hope or faith that he can win, and you've already beaten him.

The Patriots loss in the 2007 Super Bowl is why I believe in karma and it messed with me personally.

What do you think the Patriots' game plan should have been during that game for them to have won?  What the Giants did to beat the Pats was similar to what the Chargers did a few weeks ago to beat the Broncos.  Ball control and be physical.

I think the Patriots should have established the run game in the SB more because the passing game wasn't working as the offensive line wasn't protecting Brady.  Brady didn't have enough time to throw.

I wish the Patriots would have a run game like what the Ravens, Steelers and Giants had for many years.  I'd like for the Pats to bring in a RB of FB like a Jerome Bettis or Mike Alstott style runner to compliment Ridley and be a more smash mouth team.

Dan Koppen   IR

Ryan Clady      IR

Chris Kuper    game day inactive usually  maybe played once / ytwice when RT Franklin out and totalkly reshuffled OL

Champ Bailey  totally has played 2 games worth of time, played limited for first time in weekss as nuckel back last week, rusty

Von Miller          IR

Rahim Moore   IR with may retiyn designation for playoffs if musscle / circulation isue surgery healed and gets Medical OK

Derek Wolfe      had seizures, hasnt practiced for weeks , still being evaluated, allowed some exercises, is an unknown for                                                    playoffs , supposedly lost  much weighht

Kevin Vikerson  IR

Wes Welker       undergoing concusion protocols, can exercise lightly

also

starter Mid LB Woodward had stinger, was out came back and hasnt been same so lost starting job to Paris Lenon and rotates                                             in to rest him

starter SS Duke I , had ankle sprain, came back , probably to soon , nevere the same rotates in with bolden  , Mike adams &                                          newly signed first played   last week  Mike Huff

LB Stewart Bradly  IR      

Safety Quinton Carter      IR                could me more this off top of head from list given & few i remembered

I get confused with the NFL's IR policy and how they enforce it.  The NFL and Players' Union in 2012 altered it a bit.

If a player is placed on IR does that mean he's done for the year and he's not allowed to play during that season?

"Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.  Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

Teams may also place a player on injured reserve with a minor injury designation, but the team must release the player once he is healthy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

I get confused with the NFL's IR policy and how they enforce it.  The NFL and Players' Union in 2012 altered it a bit.

If a player is placed on IR does that mean he's done for the year and he's not allowed to play during that season?

"Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.  Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

Teams may also place a player on injured reserve with a minor injury designation, but the team must release the player once he is healthy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

Hi & Happy Holidays, last comment and back to my Mom, had to get some ensures as delivery missed with holidays and Dr requires ensure plus 4 per day as she dropped 15 pounds  , from 97 to 82  in just a few weeks a few weeks back, appears to at least stabilized

only 1 player per team is allowed to be placed with designated to return ability, Denver did that with Rahim moore was playing well when    got whats called compartment syndrome after a game, he needed immediate surgery, what that is is blood supply to a muscle is severly constrained and if no surgery the muscle would die, its an emergency and happened to his thigh

If Drs clear him and he can get into condition they can get him back for playoffs

all others on IR are out for season

OH & I FORGOT they just last week  waived Walton so could pick up a DL player Mincey and that was before Von Miller went out so DL is quite shorthanded ,

Walton was past starter center & expected to start this year when   needed a second ankle surgery in preseason, now picked up by another team

as i said there may be more players hurt i cant think of

Hi & Happy Holidays, last comment and back to my Mom, had to get some ensures as delivery missed with holidays and Dr requires ensure plus 4 per day as she dropped 15 pounds  , from 97 to 82  in just a few weeks a few weeks back, appears to at least stabilized

only 1 player per team is allowed to be placed with designated to return ability, Denver did that with Rahim moore was playing well when    got whats called compartment syndrome after a game, he needed immediate surgery, what that is is blood supply to a muscle is severly constrained and if no surgery the muscle would die, its an emergency and happened to his thigh

If Drs clear him and he can get into condition they can get him back for playoffs

all others on IR are out for season

OH & I FORGOT they just last week  waived Walton so could pick up a DL player Mincey and that was before Von Miller went out so DL is quite shorthanded ,

Walton was past starter center & expected to start this year when   needed a second ankle surgery in preseason, now picked up by another team

as i said there may be more players hurt i cant think of

Thank you, happy Holidays to you too.

I know you're busy with family so don't feel you need to answer or reply back to this post anytime soon.  Whenever you get some free time.

So all these players below can come back in the post season if healthy?  Are any of them effective and very good other than Welker?

Chris Kuper    

Champ Baile

Rahim Moore  

Derek Wolfe  

Wes Welker       

Woodward

Duke

The Patriots loss in the 2007 Super Bowl is why I believe in karma and it messed with me personally.

What do you think the Patriots' game plan should have been during that game for them to have won?  What the Giants did to beat the Pats was similar to what the Chargers did a few weeks ago to beat the Broncos.  Ball control and be physical.

I think the Patriots should have established the run game in the SB more because the passing game wasn't working as the offensive line wasn't protecting Brady.  Brady didn't have enough time to throw.

I wish the Patriots would have a run game like what the Ravens, Steelers and Giants had for many years.  I'd like for the Pats to bring in a RB of FB like a Jerome Bettis or Mike Alstott style runner to compliment Ridley and be a more smash mouth team.

I've never experienced a sports loss like the first SB against the Giants. As a fan that was as crushing as it gets. Like you said, kind of a bad karma thing.

The Patriots' best team, IMO, even including 2007, was that '04 team. And it just so happens that was the year Corey Dillon put up 1600+ yards. The offense wasn't the high-powered scoring machine that it was in more recent years, but they could do a lot of different things and do them well. 

I completely agree, especially with Brady getting older and the offensive weapons being a little less potent, that putting the pieces in place for a run-capable offense would be their best bet at this point. I hoped after last year that Ridley would take another step toward being the guy to lead that charge, but we know how that worked out. I keep wondering what the Patriots are going to do with him. Hold onto him and try to correct the ball security issues? Or cut ties and look for another back to come in? 

Do keep in mind that's a injured Pats squad. If Brady had the weapons that Manning had I'm sure he could have easily done the same thing. Not trying to diss credit Manning but lets not get too carried away.

Had Randy Moss and Wes Welker together for 3 straight years. He barely touched 50.

Thank you, happy Holidays to you too.

I know you're busy with family so don't feel you need to answer or reply back to this post anytime soon.  Whenever you get some free time.

So all these players below can come back in the post season if healthy?  Are any of them effective and very good other than Welker?

Chris Kuper    ----------------      is active, just is game day inactive usually  but heaalthy but cant play at proi bowl level anymore,                                                    just depth in emergency 

Champ Bailey  --------------    has started to play again last game sparingly at nickel only , not as main 2 cover guys, is on play                                                      count 

Rahim Moore  ---------------    if cleared by Drs & is in condition and practice shows ready he can play

Derek Wolfe  ----------------     yes but still cant practice, seizure issue still unclear, suppsoedlly getting to feel better but as                                                                already lost weight duri   presesaon from spinach food poisioning, nad now lost more weight,                                                          needs to get in weight room when allowed     and put on muscle STILL NOT CLEARED TO                                                           PRACTICE

Wes Welker      ----   following concusion protocol, hopefully will play in playoffs, would be nearly a month from 2nd                                                                         concusion    and help greatly on 3rd  downs which have shown a decrese in conversion rate for                                                       offense and    more 3 & outs, so is needed- STILL NOT CLEARED TO PRACTICE

Woodward       ---    is in rotation, just no longer a starter from  lingering injuries, not expected to get better

Duke                  ----   same as woodward

anothervreason Paris lennon ib and not Woodwartd is lenon is bigger so as Big Vick losst and RB's reach second level with injury woodward was a tackling machine and los\t that, as no big vick to slow RBs if reach second level want a bigger lb that is Lennon but lennon not as good in coverrage and woodwrad is captain

Rather answer now and not have in back of mind, no problem, occasionally i can get on computer at assisted living with excuse need to look up medical stuff for mom , as am disabled Dr, they allow sparingly

Best day as a NFL fan - Shutting that sarcastic laughing mouth of Brady ( laughed during media ) in the SB by Strahan and Tuck. Never disrespect your opponents.

Worst week as a baseball fan - Yankees losing from 3-0 to Red Sox. Damn Johnny Damon.

Yes, I think Brady learned a little bit to be more humble since then.  When players trash him like Terrell Suggs Brady says nothing but compliments about him and takes the high road.

I can't stand the games where the Patriots are blowing out a team and are up by at least 4 TD's in the 4th and Belichick leaves Brady in the game.  If you're up by at least 4 TD's in the 4th with around 8 minutes to go you should pull your starting QB and put in the backup and run the ball and run the play clock down to 2 seconds and snap the ball.