Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton gets the TD record [Merge]

lance.acres

Had Randy Moss and Wes Welker together for 3 straight years. He barely touched 50.

Yep and if you really want to be honest Manning had Harrison, Reggie, Clark and Stokley for how many years? and he never reached it. What Manning did is a great achievement and I'm happy for him, don't get me wrong. But people act as if what he's done is sooo much greater and more significant than when Brady got 50 and like it makes Manning soooo much better. It really doesn't and the record will have a good chance at being broken once again by someone else.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep and if you really want to be honest Manning had Harrison, Reggie, Clark and Stokley for how many years? and he never reached it. What Manning did is a great achievement and I'm happy for him, don't get me wrong. But people act as if what he's done is sooo much greater and more significant than when Brady got 50 and like it makes Manning soooo much better. It really doesn't and the record will have a good chance at being broken once again by someone else.

It sure is, new team, new system, coming from injury.

Just let people enjoy this. Dont be a party pooper.

BcMLUzYCMAEH8tz.jpg

Wow. You guys really harp on this like it is some crime for an offense to score points where up by one score or ten scores. The fact is Brady scored all those TDs the same as Manning did whether his team had a big lead or not. Like I have said all along, hard to throw 50 TDs and I don't care how they come, bunch of 2 yard TD passes and screens taken to the house like Manning this year or Brady throwing with a three score lead in 07. Pretty sure Manning didn't need to keep throwing yesterday but he had his eyes on the record. More power to him.

what exactly are you driving at with this post? . . . I don't really follow . . . . what I am supposed to get out of this stat? . . . I don't know the time in the game in which the TDs were scored, for example leading by 17 points at the 8 min mark of the 2nd qtr or leading by 17 points with 4 mins to go in the 4th . . . so I am not really sure what the stats explains if we do not know the time in which the pass was thrown . . . no?

surely, you do not disagree with a QB throwing a TD passing leading by 17 at some point in the 2nd or even the 3rd qtr . . . indeed, in the Baltimore game Manning threw a screen pass up 15 with 4+mins to go in the 4th qtr that went for a TD . . did you have a problem with that throw?  I did not, did you? . . .

See Dustin, just posting stats does not really get at anything . . . in fact what you really need to do, which I have done, is to look at games and see if the team left their QB in the game one possession too long . . . when you do that you will find that in both 2004 and 2007 there is an argument that the teams in question left their QB in for one possession "too many" in three games, so three possession all season, not really enough to really define a season . . . all of the other possession the team is entitle to run their offense as the game is not in hand thereby making the intention of your stat well moot . . .

in fact your stat only confirms what actually happened in 2013, I can not think of a possession in which the team left their QB too long . . . so no extra possession on this hand, but on the other hand with all the games being close, as reflective in your stats btw, the QB was in the game for the entire game, and more often than not was still in their trying to score like it was the start of the game . . .as opposed to 2004 or 2007 where the QB was on the bench and/or when playing had possessions in which they were trying to shorten the game with clock killing drives and resulting in reduced possession (and scoring opportunities) for both teams  . . .  

Dustin 

where in the world do u even find these stats, if articles dont come to me I have no idea how to find these things, 

actually  glad i dont ,  I am crazy enough with what i have

AM,

stop with the 1 / 2 yard Td's and yac , u have repeated it enough we get the message already  u r trying to point out and put an exclamation mark on already  and the close ones BTW were fewer lately too   , & many arent  , many are just plain great throws like the last 4, in either case 50 tds is a great mark no matter who throws it  or how achieved as u say  , Both Peyton & Tom are standard bearers for what a qb is, who is better is motre subjective than objective, both are simply great and that is enough 

as far as to why Peyton took that last TD attempt, OC case told him too, he called the play not Peyton when saw JT lined up Vs LB one on one and rest of WR in bunch formation on other side ,, , after game explanation was lets get it out of way so people stop talking and we dont have to think about it if Pats lose & we have 1st  seed locked up, as PM was at 50 , with that formation, might as well go for it who knows what we do next week as far as playing time if already have 1st seed   , so yes u r right, but that was r the scenario why Case not PM said go for it

Yehoodi

u make a valid point , taken alone the #'s are more a general statement & say something but R not complete in context of the game situation

that 7th TD u mentioned However while i am glad he got it obviously, I am also sure he was just hoping to keep chains moving and burn clock and eventually score, but sure PM was a just as delighted with a quick score as me

---------------------------------------------------

WOW, just went threw the thread 6 pages , man alot has been discussed some good, some pointless like always

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway I am sure to all those celebrating its getting closer to Christmas  so happy holidays & ho ho ho Merry Christmas and may Santa bring u all a wonderful healthy New Year

I remember when i got disabled , and had xtra 90 pounds and stuck in bed rehabbing, was watching spending money on home shopping on spoirts memorabilia and as Christmas was approaching, & my good friend who taught me ankle reconstruction and who i asked to do both of mine was from Philly & loved the Baseball  Philies & the Eagles , so 1 of the items offered were Santas in the uniform of any sport , so i ordered and had sent to him a Philly baseball and an eagle football santa in appropriate uniform

anyway, enjoy the holiday

Wow. You guys really harp on this like it is some crime for an offense to score points where up by one score or ten scores. The fact is Brady scored all those TDs the same as Manning did whether his team had a big lead or not. Like I have said all along, hard to throw 50 TDs and I don't care how they come, bunch of 2 yard TD passes and screens taken to the house like Manning this year or Brady throwing with a three score lead in 07. Pretty sure Manning didn't need to keep throwing yesterday but he had his eyes on the record. More power to him.

Fist off I hope u and all your loved ones have a great holiday today

Just to set something in another light, while checking my computer for links to some articles for another member, i found an article that actually shows over the course of ones career , if my math is correct , though Peyton has thrown more , Brady has thrown a higher % of his TD''s from the 1 yard line than Peyton or Brees, , not by much to me, the %'s are below, I dont really care but its a valid response to repeated message of short TD's by peyton that u keep bringing up all year

the article' s point is actually that over the last few years a distinct pattern has emerged, and the years in question of this change is detailed , no advance math, just simple language, that the new tendency is to throw for the TD on 1st and 2nd down in goal to goal situations

Its called 

What's the call? First-and-goal from the 1, NFL trends dictate a pass

Pat Kirwan
NFL Insider --- Dec 4th

Good article in general and worth the read as it shows a change in football philosophy  

on Peyton , Brady & Brees here is a line from the article

Peyton Manning already has 33 1-yard scores in his 236 starts and 477 touchdowns.  Brady  and Brees   are right behind. Brady has played 187 regular-season games with 353 touchdown passes and 26 1-yard passing scores while Brees has played in 181 games with the exact same number of touchdowns, 353 and 25 from 1 yard away.

((( Now PM may have more 1 yarders totally but as a percent of his total TD's if my math is correct  that equates to Peyton throwing 6.92 % of his TD's from the 1, Brady 7.37 % & Brees 7.08 % )))

. Since 2009 we have not seen a season when rushing touchdowns exceeded passing touchdowns in goal-to-go situations, which is a complete reversal of the previous 15 seasons.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24337867/whats-the-call-first-and-goal-from-the-1-nfl-trends-dictate-a-pass

Dustin 

where in the world do u even find these stats, if articles dont come to me I have no idea how to find these things, 

actually  glad i dont ,  I am crazy enough with what i have

AM,

stop with the 1 / 2 yard Td's and yac , u have repeated it enough we get the message already  u r trying to point out and put an exclamation mark on already  and the close ones BTW were fewer lately too   , & many arent  , many are just plain great throws like the last 4, in either case 50 tds is a great mark no matter who throws it  or how achieved as u say  , Both Peyton & Tom are standard bearers for what a qb is, who is better is motre subjective than objective, both are simply great and that is enough 

as far as to why Peyton took that last TD attempt, OC case told him too, he called the play not Peyton when saw JT lined up Vs LB one on one and rest of WR in bunch formation on other side ,, , after game explanation was lets get it out of way so people stop talking and we dont have to think about it if Pats lose & we have 1st  seed locked up, as PM was at 50 , with that formation, might as well go for it who knows what we do next week as far as playing time if already have 1st seed   , so yes u r right, but that was r the scenario why Case not PM said go for it

Yehoodi

u make a valid point , taken alone the #'s are more a general statement & say something but R not complete in context of the game situation

that 7th TD u mentioned However while i am glad he got it obviously, I am also sure he was just hoping to keep chains moving and burn clock and eventually score, but sure PM was a just as delighted with a quick score as me

---------------------------------------------------

WOW, just went threw the thread 6 pages , man alot has been discussed some good, some pointless like always

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway I am sure to all those celebrating its getting closer to Christmas  so happy holidays & ho ho ho Merry Christmas and may Santa bring u all a wonderful healthy New Year

I remember when i got disabled , and had xtra 90 pounds and stuck in bed rehabbing, was watching spending money on home shopping on spoirts memorabilia and as Christmas was approaching, & my good friend who taught me ankle reconstruction and who i asked to do both of mine was from Philly & loved the Baseball  Philies & the Eagles , so 1 of the items offered were Santas in the uniform of any sport , so i ordered and had sent to him a Philly baseball and an eagle football santa in appropriate uniform

anyway, enjoy the holiday

I have said from the get go that throwing 50+ TDs is impressive and that Manning deserves the MVP and should get all the votes. I don't care how a QB gets there but if some here want to try to degrade Brady's 2007 performance to make Manning's record look somehow nobler then expect to see a debate. Manning was clearly going for the record at the end of that game so at some point this idea that Manning is always throwing to win the game and Brady was throwing to pile up TDs has to stop. Like Dynasty, myself and others have said, none of it matters. Brady beat the 49 Tds in 2004 from Manning and Manning just beat Brady's 50 Tds. Impressive no matter how you slice and dice it but in the end Brady is the one with the undefeated regular season and Manning with three losses. We'll see how the post-season plays out ...

Brady threw 50 touchdowns against a strong schedule and the best defenses in the entire league (Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Giants, etc). He also blazed a war path through everyone and went undefeated.

Manning threw 51 against NFL bottom feeders who couldn't play defense to save their lives. His team also lost to every post season team outside Kansas City which is as much a play off fraud as the Broncos are.

Considering it's been obvious from week 2 onward that the entire purpose of Denver's 2013 season has been to break that record, I could honestly care less about it.

Everybody knows Peyton is going to wilt in the play offs, so nobody really cares about his 51 except for Colt and Bronco fans grasping for validation.

I have said from the get go that throwing 50+ TDs is impressive and that Manning deserves the MVP and should get all the votes. I don't care how a QB gets there but if some here want to try to degrade Brady's 2007 performance to make Manning's record look somehow nobler then expect to see a debate. Manning was clearly going for the record at the end of that game so at some point this idea that Manning is always throwing to win the game and Brady was throwing to pile up TDs has to stop. Like Dynasty, myself and others have said, none of it matters. Brady beat the 49 Tds in 2004 from Manning and Manning just beat Brady's 50 Tds. Impressive no matter how you slice and dice it but in the end Brady is the one with the undefeated regular season and Manning with three losses. We'll see how the post-season plays out ...

I haven't been 1 to degrade Bradys Record 

& yes not saying u dont believe that which u point out Re MVP and 50 tds great no matter how u get it, I do not   necessarily think he gets all the votes, I think Brady / BB may get for pulling out some great late victories with injuries and also if Pats get # 1 seed that will help him get some

,  just talking about all the short TD pass's & screens u repeatedly bring up, a few times is quite understandable,  but in so many threads it just gets tiresome and to me self defeating

I am sorry u r here on your holiday, at least I think it is, I m Jewish, will hang with Mom and their party where she lives, but didnt mean to get u involved so early this day, Its just that i had absolutely nothing to do for a change

I haven't been 1 to degrade Bradys Record 

& yes not saying u dont believe that which u point out Re MVP and 50 tds great no matter how u get it

,  just talking about all the short TD pass's & screens u repeatedly bring up, a few times is quite understandable,  but in so many threads it just gets tiresome and to me self defeating

I am sorry u r here on your holiday, at least I think it is, I m Jewish, will hang with Mom and their party where she lives, but didnt mean to get u involved so early this day, Its just that i had absolutely nothing to do for a change

I only bring it up in response to others not on its own and certainly not to you. It is amazing to me how Manning can break this record and yet folks use it as a platform to swipe at Brady's 2007. It borders on ridiculous. Many here get upset at Pats fans but honestly Manning achieves something historic and the posts from the majority of Pats fans were nothing but praises and in come the Manning apologists to take shots at Brady. It is tiresome and like I said expect a response every time.

Holiday was good. We do our celebrating on Christmas Eve - family tradition. Hope you had a nice Hanukah.

I only bring it up in response to others not on its own and certainly not to you. It is amazing to me how Manning can break this record and yet folks use it as a platform to swipe at Brady's 2007. It borders on ridiculous. Many here get upset at Pats fans but honestly Manning achieves something historic and the posts from the majority of Pats fans were nothing but praises and in come the Manning apologists to take shots at Brady. It is tiresome and like I said expect a response every time.

Holiday was good. We do our celebrating on Christmas Eve - family tradition. Hope you had a nice Hanukkah.

i cant argue that Many a colt / Peyton Fan rip Brady, some do it out of response baklash  to what they perceive is an unneeded attack Vs Peyton, Others do it out of hatred for arch rival, yet  the 2 are friends

Hanukkah   no matter how u spell it, are many versions

the holiday this year fell out on Thanksgiving, and as it also was my nephews anniversary , do u know its impossible to find a thanksukkahversary card ( LOL )  all was well and god thanks

Thanks for your well wishes

i cant argue that Many a colt / Peyton Fan rip Brady, some do it out of response baklash  to what they perceive is an unneeded attack Vs Peyton, Others do it out of hatred for arch rival, yet  the 2 are friends

Hanukkah   no matter how u spell it, are many versions

the holiday this year fell out on Thanksgiving, and as it also was my nephews anniversary , do u know its impossible to find a thanksukkahversary card ( LOL )  all was well and god thanks

Thanks for your well wishes

Yep. It goes both ways for sure. I thought it was pretty cool how Manning said that he expects Brady to maybe break it next season. Actually I thought his whole post-game interview was classy, funny, and put the record in its proper perspective.

Yes, I know Hanukkah was early. I have two sister-in-laws who are Jewish but they have Catholic husbands so they celebrate both. I feel bad for them as the stress of doing both is overwhelming with kids. ;)

Thats all you have been doing with YAC. Does that even make sense?.

I asked a simple question but you ignored coz you have nothing to say. You keep yapping about screen pass. If every screen pass is so easy and guaranteed a TD, why everyone is not doing it?.

No one cares about what Brady did with 50 TDs. No matter how you slice it, it is a great feat. Only 2 QBs have seen 50, that says a lot.

Manning beat it now, give him the respect he deserves and move on.

Brady threw 50 touchdowns against a strong schedule and the best defenses in the entire league (Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Giants, etc). He also blazed a war path through everyone and went undefeated.

Manning threw 51 against NFL bottom feeders who couldn't play defense to save their lives. His team also lost to every post season team outside Kansas City which is as much a play off fraud as the Broncos are.

Considering it's been obvious from week 2 onward that the entire purpose of Denver's 2013 season has been to break that record, I could honestly care less about it.

Everybody knows Peyton is going to wilt in the play offs, so nobody really cares about his 51 except for Colt and Bronco fans grasping for validation.

Need a napkin?. 

Yep. It goes both ways for sure. I thought it was pretty cool how Manning said that he expects Brady to maybe break it next season. Actually I thought his whole post-game interview was classy, funny, and put the record in its proper perspective.

Yes, I know Hanukkah was early. I have two sister-in-laws who are Jewish but they have Catholic husbands so they celebrate both. I feel bad for them as the stress of doing both is overwhelming with kids. ;)

in the Jewish religion technically the child is the same religion as the mother if one is really religious and it doesnt matter if mother is Jewish or non Jwish, if one is really religious the Jewish religion says s a child born from a non Jewish mother is not considered Jewish  without an orthodox  conversion by said mother prior to the birth ( which is way hard ) the child is that same religion as the mother, and if that child is thus non Jewish would then need an orthodox conversion to to become Jewish

Yet My  Jewish cousin of Jewish Parents is married to  a non Jew who never converted but they are raising the children Jewish even though techniquely they aren't

Yes that has to be stressful, what holidays does one take off from school, i think, at least in the past u had to declare such at least In Ny in my time , does one get Bar / Bat mitzvahed or not , etc etc, ,

I  have many a friend with mixed marriages as far as religion and though the marriage  of a spoullmate is wonderful , u never know what may come up and what others may think, esp other children can be harsh, best of Luck

Topics I hope are all thought out ahead of time as can cause friction I imagine

many of my friends have converted using the conservative or reformed ways ( a much easier process ) , whatever works for one is just fine, being happy is what is important in my opinion

and like my cousin whose wife never converted I dont care, she too is my cousin now, just let all be happy

Thats enough, now to catch up on things , have a good day

AM,

Its like putting a song in repeat. No matter what you say, same sentence will be repeated. There is no reasoning or objectivity.

Why some of the posts are in the regular thread vs smack thread is beyond me. Its just disrespectful to a lot of posters.

Its like putting a song in repeat. No matter what you say, same sentence will be repeated. There is no reasoning or objectivity.

Why some of the posts are in the regular thread vs smack thread is beyond me. Its just disrespectful to a lot of posters.

read my comment 204 Regarding

Good article in general and worth the read as it shows a change in football philosophy  

Pat Kirwan
NFL Insider --- Dec 4th

Peyton Manning already has 33 1-yard scores in his 236 starts and 477 touchdowns.  Brady  and Brees   are right behind. Brady has played 187 regular-season games with 353 touchdown passes and 26 1-yard passing scores while Brees has played in 181 games with the exact same number of touchdowns, 353 and 25 from 1 yard away.

((( Now PM may have more 1 yarders totally but as a percent of his total TD's if my math is correct  that equates to Peyton throwing 6.92 % of his TD's from the 1, Brady 7.37 % & Brees 7.08 % )))

. Since 2009 we have not seen a season when rushing touchdowns exceeded passing touchdowns in goal-to-go situations, which is a complete reversal of the previous 15 seasons.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24337867/whats-the-call-first-and-goal-from-the-1-nfl-trends-dictate-a-pass

Have a good day, I already been on to long time to catch up on things and then Party at Moms place

read my comment 204 Regarding

Pat Kirwan
NFL Insider --- Dec 4th

Have a good day, I already been on to long time to catch up on things and then Party at Moms place

Enjoy the day my man

in the Jewish religion technically the child is the same religion as the mother if one is really religious and it doesnt matter if mother is Jewish or non Jwish, if one is really religious the Jewish religion says s a child born from a non Jewish mother is not considered Jewish  without an orthodox  conversion by said mother prior to the birth ( which is way hard ) the child is that same religion as the mother, and if that child is thus non Jewish would then need an orthodox conversion to to become Jewish

Yet My  Jewish cousin of Jewish Parents is married to  a non Jew who never converted but they are raising the children Jewish even though techniquely they aren't

Yes that has to be stressful, what holidays does one take off from school, i think, at least in the past u had to declare such at least In Ny in my time , does one get Bar / Bat mitzvahed or not , etc etc, ,

I  have many a friend with mixed marriages as far as religion and though the marriage  of a spoullmate is wonderful , u never know what may come up and what others may think, esp other children can be harsh, best of Luck

many of my friends have converted using the conservative or reformed ways ( a much easier process ) , whatever works for one is just fine, being happy is what is important in my opinion

and like my cousin whose wife never converted I dont care, she too is my cousin now, just let all be happy

I'm so tired of all of this. It doesn't really matter anymore...does it? I only care about my family now...screw the rest.

>being this salty.

I do think it is confusing to say the least. As Jewish religion does not believe in Christ as Messiah except for Messianic Jews of course and Christian religion does believe in Christ as Messiah so one has to figure out what to do with Christ in either case. Not an easy proposition.

I do love this time of year though. Lots of generosity and general good will.

I'm so tired of all of this. It doesn't really matter anymore...does it? I only care about my family now...screw the rest.

I was just explaining to another member some technical things , But I totally agree with u 

save for screw the rest

as i noted

I dont care, .........  just let all be happy

I do think it is confusing to say the least. As Jewish religion does not believe in Christ as Messiah except for Messianic Jews of course and Christian religion does believe in Christ as Messiah so one has to figure out what to do with Christ in either case. Not an easy proposition.

I do love this time of year though. Lots of generosity and general good will.

"that is actually considered a sub sect of Christianity and most were never Jews to begin with unless u were a Jewish immigrant from Russia in Brooklyn and had no idea what was like  to be Jewish as lived in Russia and then when this sect offered on the Brighton Beach street corner near Coney Island  ( & I was there many a day to see it ) to pay a poor  immigrants children';s  way to summer camp and pay u money etc etc and make life easier than u r now experiencing as a new immigrant if one joined this sect , that brought over alot of conversions, on next corner same group is selling beluga caviar for  5 $ a tin

I admit I am not that familiar with it save for ones I met

are good and bad in all religions, all professions , every way of life

'

This is not  a religious forum & dont think is really supposed to be discussed here, to each their own, just be happy in life and be a good person, u know the do unto others rule and lets all get along

haha  For someone who says they could honestly care less about it . . . the Patriot fan doth protest too much, methinks.

But, thanks for the laugh and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

haha  For someone who says they could honestly care less about it . . . the Patriot fan doth protest too much, methinks.

But, thanks for the laugh and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

as that Patfan says, ( sarcastic ) I guess they didn't have to score every point available to them Vs Dallas to win, from outset wasn't to set records but to make sure has enough points not to lose on a hail mary , this was said by the team early on, they felt pressured to score esp whenn miller was suspended , and, then clady went down,& d never showed up & got worse   later with all the D injuries

& if they were perfect at it why did in the last 3 games the first half were often losing, and needed late game surges

all may have own opinion, I am glad for him & while I love Luck and the future for the Colts , if its not this year for the colts, Peyton to me will always be a Colt at heart , and u just have to wonder with all the draft picks a trade would of gotten, even with Peytons cap, as so many would be good rookies if picked right , who knows what would of happened with the Colts, but taking Luck was the only rational thing at the time

Have a happy holiday

( I still cant get use to that bronco helmut on his head )

as that Patfan says, ( sarcastic ) I guess they didn't have to score every point available to them Vs Dallas to win, from outset wasn't to set records but to make sure has enough points not to lose on a hail mary , this was said by the team early on, they felt pressured to score esp whenn miller was suspended , and, then clady went down,& d never showed up & got worse   later with all the D injuries

& if they were perfect at it why did in the last 3 games the first half were often losing, and needed late game surges

all may have own opinion, I am glad for him & while I love Luck and the future for the Colts , if its not this year for the colts, Peyton to me will always be a Colt at heart , and u just have to wonder with all the draft picks a trade would of gotten, even with Peytons cap, as so many would be good rookies if picked right , who knows what would of happened with the Colts, but taking Luck was the only rational thing at the time

Have a happy holiday

( I still cant get use to that bronco helmut on his head )

I hear ya, like i said in one of my other posts, when i saw a video of Peyton in Colts jersey i almost cried.

And i truly believe Peyton due to the respect for Colts and their fans decided not to join Titans.

he said it was a close decision recently, could of gotten 6 mill more a year, piece of the team, future role with team, had Governor petitioning him to play there, was his home in college, had CJ as RB  not someone considered at the time a busst , good OL & better D in general , 

I would hated for colts to play him 2x a year

anyway getting off have a great day

he said it was a close decision recently, could of gotten 6 mill more a year, piece of the team, future role with team, had Governor petitioning him to play there, was his home in college, had CJ as RB  not someone considered at the time a busst , good OL & better D in general , 

I would hated for colts to play him 2x a year

anyway getting off have a great day

Yep, have a nice day man

manning would say the same thing himself, records are nice, means you played well.

we've seen this movie before. the last time manning set TD record he scored 3 points in the playoffs at Foxboro.

these records mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. talk to me about playoff success. or 1 and done's.