Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GO BROWNS!

Synthetic

he's the former head of officials like it or not he's more qualified to rule on this than you or me. You got a big call today just take it and be happy no one outside of New England is buying it was the correct call stuff. Also your QB blew a gasket over the Panthers game so it wasn't just the media.

exactly and when he was the head of officials he would always talk about not looking back + contact is PI 99 times out of a hundred . . . ., somehow this "better than us rules interpreter" missed this one (or had convenient memory loss), which goes to his creditability on the matter and is why I take these so called experts on the matter with much grain of salt . . . I don't think they are any smarter than I am, I have watch enough football to know what is going on . . . indeed, I could not believe all of the "experts" opining on the Carolina/Gronk non call, many of them where saying that it was "at least a hold or illegal contact" when anyone that has watched more that 30 games in their lifetime knows that contact before the pass is hold or illegal contact and after the ball is in the air is only PI or nothing, with the ball in the air being the dividing line where contact breaks down between these three penalties, but somehow many experts don't seem to know this and they have watch and/or played in more than 30 games . . .

I am not a fan of this type of PI (altho Boyce was close to the ball which for me is a factor), but its the status of the NFL, yes it was a big call in the game, and really should of been spotted at the 10 yard line when the contact happened, I was not bothered by the contact in the end zone except for the fact that it was a continuation of the earlier contact, the end zone contact on its own was not PI imo, and when this happens the refs will normally put the ball at the point of the foul . . . so there was a lapse here a little . . .

I got no problem with Brady getting after the officials, they did not even explain the reason  . . . I can see how some would call it a PI, but for me the guy that picked off the ball under cut behind gronk and for me that is the monkey wrench in making it a non PI call . . . the flow of it seemed to me to be a non call even tho some interpretations would make it a pi . . .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly and when he was the head of officials he would always talk about not looking back + contact is PI 99 times out of a hundred . . . ., somehow this "better than us rules interpreter" missed this one (or had convenient memory loss), which goes to his creditability on the matter and is why I take these so called experts on the matter with much grain of salt . . . I don't think they are any smarter than I am, I have watch enough football to know what is going on . . . indeed, I could not believe all of the "experts" opining on the Carolina/Gronk non call, many of them where saying that it was "at least a hold or illegal contact" when anyone that has watched more that 30 games in their lifetime knows that contact before the pass is hold or illegal contact and after the ball is in the air is only PI or nothing, with the ball in the air being the dividing line where contact breaks down between these three penalties, but somehow many experts don't seem to know this and they have watch and/or played in more than 30 games . . .

I am not a fan of this type of PI (altho Boyce was close to the ball which for me is a factor), but its the status of the NFL, yes it was a big call in the game, and really should of been spotted at the 10 yard line when the contact happened, I was not bothered by the contact in the end zone except for the fact that it was a continuation of the earlier contact, the end zone contact on its own was not PI imo, and when this happens the refs will normally put the ball at the point of the foul . . . so there was a lapse here a little . . .

I got no problem with Brady getting after the officials, they did not even explain the reason  . . . I can see how some would call it a PI, but for me the guy that picked off the ball under cut behind gronk and for me that is the monkey wrench in making it a non PI call . . . the flow of it seemed to me to be a non call even tho some interpretations would make it a pi . . .

No he didn't you are just looking through with the eyes of a Pats fan.  NO ONE outside of New England is saying that was the right call.  It was a bad call just like the call was in the Carolina and New England game that went against your team.  The ref made a mistake just admit it, you got one today.  Don't worry no one is going to take away your win for it.  In fact most people here probably don't honestly care and would probably have more respect for you if you just said yo we got one.

For the record the same guys who said the PI call was bad today also said the Carolina game call was bad, they have no dog in the fight to speak other than maybe the officials themselves so they have no reason to take either side other than maybe the refs side and here they are saying the refs are wrong.  So yeah I am not buying this whole they got one wrong call.  If other people who were just football people were saying it was right and he was only one saying it was wrong maybe I would listen but they aren't.  The only ones who are saying the refs got it right are the extremely bias fanbase (as would any fanbase who got a call like that so that's not a shot at your fans).  Sorry I am going to side with the impartial ones who know football better than fans on a message board on this. 

Why do teams always choke against the pats every week

As much as we might not want too have to give them credit too.  They make plays to win these games as well.  They are a very good team.  I said earlier today they remind me a lot of their Super Bowl Teams, nothing flashy just wins and some wins here and there that just leave you scratching your head as to how exactly they won that game. 

I could care less what someone from the media thinks frankly, or what his history or resume is, if I remember correctly this was the same guy that when he was doing his official reviews on NFLN and would support PI calls would always talk about "not looking back at the ball + contact = PI" somehow he seems to have forgotten this formula on the plane ride from the NFL to FOX studios  . . . 

but regardless it is really just you and me and the other talking here and would hope that you and the rest of the individual here are intelligent enough to come to their own conclusion on the matter without having to go to a source that supports a particular position . . .

but time and time again, that formula is true to form whether you like it or not, you can't just ignore it because its the pats . . . but the bottom line, as you can see in the video, Boyce was ahead of the guy, not by much but ahead of him, then McFadden has his arm on Boyce . . . and he was not looking back at the ball . . . we may not like the PI calls, and I am one of them, as more often than we have an under thrown ball which results in the DB not looking back/contact=PI even though the WR can't even get to the ball, but it the nature of the NFL, whether we like it or not . . . but here you had a ball that is not underthrown and was just on the finger tips of the WR, contact and the DB not looking back . . . not the best in the world, but not a phantom one either . . . as the ball was near the finger tips, contact that interfered to a degree with his forward momentum can have an effect on this ability to concentrate and catch a close pass . . . so we get PI

its not a classic grab and hold or turning of a WR, but it is one of those calls of contact and not looking back combined with the WR in a better position to get to the ball . . . and that is called a lot, regardless of what the media, you or I wish . . .

BTW I did not have a problem with the call late in the Panther game but many of the media did . . .

the problem is the NFL and the nearly no tolerance on defender not look back/contact combination, of which this was . . . don't blame the refs, blame the culture of the NFL and PI calls . . . I don't like it either, but it how its called . . .

my only caveat was the balls was just off the finger tips it was not a yard over thrown, so for me, that puts more emphasis on the contact not being totally clean or free from wrongdoing . . .

There is also no doubt in my mind that the Pats go in score without the PI. At that point in the game the Browns were toast and Brady was going down the field at will. They were at 30 with 40 seconds left when that PI called happened. That is eternity for Brady to get 30 yards.

Seriously???  You're mocking the Colts for losing to the same team who defeated the Patriots???

Yes, a defense allowing 42 points was an ouch.

And, I think an offense that can only score 6 points against the Bengals is also an ouch. 

I understand being happy that the Patriots didn't lose. 

What I can't understand is being :rock: happy after a game played on home turf against a 4-9 team where the Patriots squeeked out a one-point win while also possibly losing Gronk for the season.

No game is a gimmie this year for the Pats. It is HARD to win in the NFL. I will take a win against any team, any week especially one where the Pats pull a rabbit out of the hat. :rock:

Belichek is the best coach in football.....hands down not even close. Not only does he coach players up and make them better than they ever should be but he has them PREPARED for ANY situation and has them practice to the point of when they need it...they can OUT EXECUTE any team. He makes great half time adjustments and over all has great game plans. The team rarely fails because he did a bad job....even the 4th and 2 play was the right call...he is just that good....add a HOF qb to him and it is real simple to see why the Pats win these games....they are led by two of the best at their perspective positions and most important they have practiced to the point of nausea to execute in critical situations....no team in the NFL imo play better situational football then that Pats. They don't give up 80yd hail mary's in the playoffs...they execute on-side kicks, 2 min drills, and basically almost always score coming out of half time or change the momentum. Great great coaching if you ask me.

Belichek is the best coach in football.....hands down not even close. Not only does he coach players up and make them better than they ever should be but he has them PREPARED for ANY situation and has them practice to the point of when they need it...they can OUT EXECUTE any team. He makes great half time adjustments and over all has great game plans. The team rarely fails because he did a bad job....even the 4th and 2 play was the right call...he is just that good....add a HOF qb to him and it is real simple to see why the Pats win these games....they are led by two of the best at their perspective positions and most important they have practiced to the point of nausea to execute in critical situations....no team in the NFL imo play better situational football then that Pats. They don't give up 80yd hail mary's in the playoffs...they execute on-side kicks, 2 min drills, and basically almost always score coming out of half time or change the momentum. Great great coaching if you ask me.

One correction- He can't make players execute- he can only prepare them. Its up to the players to execute. But yes he prepares players for any situation regardless if it ever comes up in a season.

One correction- He can't make players execute- he can only prepare them. Its up to the players to execute. But yes he prepares players for any situation regardless if it ever comes up in a season.

What I mean is he has them so prepared over and over for these specialty situations in games like I was saying...2 mins, goal line, onside kick, prevent etc that they (players) out execute the opposing team because lets be honest....practice doesn't make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect execution. Sure they will slip up once in awhile but lets be honest...no team executes better in these situations than the Patriots....and if they don't...it ain't Bill's fault. Having Brady on the field also helps A LOT but it is my opinion that Bill's preparation of ALL the players makes Tom's job all the easier in these cases....and allows his brilliant play to shine through. Best coach in football and maybe all time of ANY sport possibly but thats hard to argue.

What I mean is he has them so prepared over and over for these specialty situations in games like I was saying...2 mins, goal line, onside kick, prevent etc that they (players) out execute the opposing team because lets be honest....practice doesn't make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect execution. Sure they will slip up once in awhile but lets be honest...no team executes better in these situations than the Patriots....and if they don't...it ain't Bill's fault. Having Brady on the field also helps A LOT but it is my opinion that Bill's preparation of ALL the players makes Tom's job all the easier in these cases....and allows his brilliant play to shine through. Best coach in football and maybe all time of ANY sport possibly but thats hard to argue.

Yeah I get a kick out of Bill yelling where the defense to be when its like less than a minute left and we're ahead two scores. He just doesn't leave even a pebble unturned.

Yeah I get a kick out of Bill yelling where the defense to be when its like less than a minute left and we're ahead two scores. He just doesn't leave even a pebble unturned.

I mean...the man is an * but gosh he can coach lol....reminds me of Bobby Knight....just not as likable lol. X'S O'S you put him and Sean Payton together you would have the most deadly team in the NFL....makes me wonder how Bill Parcell's ever lost with those guys as assistants. The fact that Parcells was an assistant coach for Bobby Knight at Army might explain how they all got so good though lol!!

Honestly think give Bill a decent team....with a decent qb he is winning the division year in and year out 9/10. I would love to have a legend like that coach my team. 

No he didn't you are just looking through with the eyes of a Pats fan.  NO ONE outside of New England is saying that was the right call.  It was a bad call just like the call was in the Carolina and New England game that went against your team.  The ref made a mistake just admit it, you got one today.  Don't worry no one is going to take away your win for it.  In fact most people here probably don't honestly care and would probably have more respect for you if you just said yo we got one.

This is really funny to me.. that call happens and now every Colt fan is just like "Bad call = reason patriots won"

Yet the Patriots had to come back again from being down, with Gronk lost to injury... they went on a solid drive and scored a touchdown... then executed an onside kick.. and were at the 30 yard line with 50 seconds to go with a stopped clock..

You have no idea what would have happened if they didn't call that PI.  The Patriots had plenty of time from the 30 yard line with 50 seconds, thats enough for at least 5-6 plays...  yet everyone just tries to ignore their comeback and all of that effort they put into that game and just chalk it up to 1 penalty and treat it as a black and white answer for them winning.

Its a shame, you might have actually gotten to witness a really awesome game if not for the sole focus and hate on 1 call.  Oh and the Patriots got screwed out of a forced fumble in the first half, which cost them a scoring opportunity in the Browns territory..  They also got a non-call on blatant defensive holding/PI on Amendola on a key 3rd down play that would have got them into field goal range.

There are plenty of calls that happen in a game, and there were a lot of bad ones in that game against the Patriots.. but it looks like karma overcame and they got a call finally late in the game to really help them out.  Doesn't mean Brady wouldn't have gotten it into the end zone with another 6 attempts and 50 seconds on the clock had they just ruled that pass to Boyce an incomplete... 

fo shizzle

I am glad the Patriots get more anger and frustration out of fans than anyone else.  People that whine about the Patriots are funny but also very immature.

Patriots don't get any more calls than anyone else.  Every week all over the NFL in every game there are bad calls and players and fans whining after each game.  The reason why it seems the Patriots get more calls their way is because they're on more nationally televised games that reach a larger audience.  Not many people will see all the bad calls during a Jags/Raiders game.

If you want to beat the Patriots it's very simple.  Just be dirty inner city hood rats like the Ravens and Giants and play thug ball and you'll win.  Sort of like all the violent youth on the streets playing "knockout" and attacking civilized people.  Well Belichick and Kraft want the Pats to play the "Patriot way" and hood rats just knock them out.

I am glad the Patriots get more anger and frustration out of fans than anyone else.  People that whine about the Patriots are funny but also very immature.

Patriots don't get any more calls than anyone else.  Every week all over the NFL in every game there are bad calls and players and fans whining after each game.  The reason why it seems the Patriots get more calls their way is because they're on more nationally televised games that reach a larger audience.  Not many people will see all the bad calls during a Jags/Raiders game.

If you want to beat the Patriots it's very simple.  Just be dirty inner city hood rats like the Ravens and Giants and play thug ball and you'll win.  Sort of like all the violent youth on the streets playing "knockout" and attacking civilized people.  Well Belichick and Kraft want the Pats to play the "Patriot way" and hood rats just knock them out.

LOL

lol  All over the NFL every weekend there are bad calls and players and fans whining...

Sherman blames officiating for Seahawks' loss...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20131210/Sherman.blames.officiating/

Most of the fans who whine about the Pats are fans of AFC teams mostly like the Steelers, Jets, Colts, Ravens.  That's pretty much the brunt of it.  Most fans of teams in the NFC don't even care one way or the other about the Pats since they're focusing on their division and conference rivals. I bet you most 49er and Seahawks fans had no clue what happened in the Pats/Browns game since they're focused on their own teams.

The Patriots went to 5 Super Bowls since 2001 so of course they will get more national televised games and more attention paid to them so they're games are more scrutinized.  The Patriots and Cowboys are the two most closely watched and scrutinized teams in the NFL.  The Pats and Cowboys haters are funny though, such obsession and paranoia over two teams.  It is amazing how sports teams can drive people to the point of losing sleep at night.