Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep says Richardson will start and carry the load

antipatriot

he is a big guy. hes a power back. you can tell when he does run to the outside he will pick up 4 or 5 yards, but when he runs up the middle (which is most of his runs) he gets stuffed at the line. just dont see why pep has not caught that yet.. 

While I don't disagree with this statement, you do have to run certain plays out of common sets in order to set up other plays in said common sets.

But 'less than 100%'  players don't start ahead of healthy ones who are outperforming them...

..unless you gave up a No,.1 for the guy you are starting

..and the other guy wont be here next year.

Better to have teams game planning for T-Rich and using Donald as the change of pace.......at least that is my opinion. The sets we are running out of aren't necessarily setting trent up for success. They are darn near goal line sets (2TE/Tackle Eligible + FB).......goal line sets are design to gain 1-2 yards. We are simply packing it in too tight with terrible interior lineman.

Better to have teams game planning for T-Rich and using Donald as the change of pace.......at least that is my opinion. The sets we are running out of aren't necessarily setting trent up for success. They are darn near goal line sets (2TE/Tackle Eligible + FB).......goal line sets are design to gain 1-2 yards. We are simply packing it in too tight with terrible interior lineman.

were running Richardson out of much more then that

That's obviously what Chuck and Pep feel,......Donald Brown isn't being shortchanged just because he doesn't start..

He's getting carries..

I love Brown....but, for the future, we made our choice...and we have a 3-game lead...we don't have any 'must' wins

If they are starting an slowed TRich over a healthy Brown..that speaks for itself...

Cards statistically are tough vs. the run...

That's obviously what Chuck and Pep feel,......Donald Brown isn't being shortchanged just because he doesn't start..

He's getting carries..

I love Brown....but, for the future, we made our choice...and we have a 3-game lead...we don't have any 'must' wins

If they are starting an slowed TRich over a healthy Brown..that speaks for itself...

Cards statistically are tough vs. the run...

I do agree with you. We have made a choice for T-Rich and we are going to stick with him. Brown might now be a colt next year. Bradshaw future is coming to a closed and it will probably be T-Rich and Vick Ballard as our one two punch for a couple of years. 

Finally.....but we didn't really start until after the bye week

Ill go over each of his runs since he has been a Colt and chart the number of times he has ran in a power formation in the offseason but he has shoulder some of the blame for his poor numbers regardless of the formation.....But he has also made some nice plays so have to tell the whole story.

So what is Pep supposed to say?

Hey Bruce, just a heads up, we ain't running it, 'drew is gonna toss dat pigskin 50-60 times, get ready dude!

I"m being a smart-a here, but I expect some deception with the offense this week, hopefully we can keep their D off balance.

I just want to see good effort and execution from the get-go and throughout the game from both sides of the ball.

Without a good game here, and setting the tone for the rest of the season, our playoff expectations may be in jeopardy.

We've played crappy for three straight weeks and somehow have come up with two wins, but not the recipe for a playoff run.

I've got faith, but as much as many of you hate, the run game is part of the recipe for success, hopefully this team can start playing like they do when backed to the wall late in games, just do it earlier.

Man, I just want to see this team just go out and kick somebody's butt and I don't care who, no reason not to start this week!

Look...

The way I see it is that we are throwing off the game plan for the Cardinals. If we tell them that we are going to start Donald Brown, the defense will prepare for Brown and shut him down.

If we say we are going to start Richardson, they will completely prepare for the passing game. So now we confused them and mix it up! :)

a lot of people are being a little to hard on TRich. from what i have seen he is not being used right. with our OLine Richardson is to big to run through those little holes that the OLine gives him. Brown is smaller then richardson and has a little more burst then richardson. Maybe if Pep would use stretch plays or counter gaps for Richardson things might change. 

not much more. Rarely do we run him against light boxes

Both of these excuses are old and have been recycled way too many times.

We should not have to make excuses or special accommodations for 1st round RB, let alone one that was the #3 overall draft pick.  A RB with that pedigree for that price should be able to get yards behind any OL in the league. 

At this point he is nothing more than a glorified battering ram that we can slam into the DL to avoid injuring the only real RB we have left.

We should not have to make excuses or special accommodations for 1st round RB, let alone one that was the #3 overall draft pick.  A RB with that pedigree for that price should be able to get yards behind any OL in the league. 

At this point he is nothing more than a glorified battering ram that we can slam into the DL to avoid injuring the only real RB we have left.

ummm real RB?? did you forget that " real RB " has done nothing up until this year and is prob only doing good because he knows it could possibly be his last year in a colts uniform, so he is basically trying out for other teams right now. oh and btw Brown was a 1st rounder too. so 4 years to get something going is really nothing to brag about. every 1,000 yard rusher has 1 thing in common with each other. they have a very good OLine. 

I do agree with you. We have made a choice for T-Rich and we are going to stick with him. Brown might now be a colt next year. Bradshaw future is coming to a closed and it will probably be T-Rich and Vick Ballard as our one two punch for a couple of years. 

cardinals are just playing good football right now period. between them and the panthers. 

Over the course of the last 4 games Richardson has 35 carries and Brown has 33. When Hamilton was asked about Brown possibly supplanting Richardson as the starter, Pep pointed out the Colt's use of a two back rotation and how he was not going to change that. His answer stressed the use of both as opposed to one over the other.

Over the course of the last 4 games Richardson has 35 carries and Brown has 33. When Hamilton was asked about Brown possibly supplanting Richardson as the starter, Pep pointed out the Colt's use of a two back rotation and how he was not going to change that. His answer stressed the use of both as opposed to one over the other.

And if you believe as coaches that Trent Richardson is your lead back for future seasons (and few coaches are not going to admit they made a mistake after 2 months) and if Donald Brown performs well as the second back in the game (and he certainly has) and the team is winning (and it is)..

..what's the motivation for change?

I'm happy that Donald Brown is effective now and Trent isn't going anywhere....we've used  2 backs most games for years now...

Play 'em both...on the way to the playoffs

ummm real RB?? did you forget that " real RB " has done nothing up until this year and is prob only doing good because he knows it could possibly be his last year in a colts uniform, so he is basically trying out for other teams right now. oh and btw Brown was a 1st rounder too. so 4 years to get something going is really nothing to brag about. every 1,000 yard rusher has 1 thing in common with each other. they have a very good OLine. 

I didn't forget; I don't care why he is doing good this year, only that he is playing like a real RB at the moment.  I agree Brown hasn't done much prior to this year, and yes spending a 1st round on Brown was a horrible move as well.  But that in no way justifies Richardson's pathetic play and spending a 1st on him.

You need to GET OVER the Label of Power Running Team and get it in your head that PEP is 100% determined to give the WHOLE Team the Long Term Advantage of Building a RUNNING GAME.

It is that SIMPLE!

The idea that he is to delay developing the long term plan so as to satisfy * Fans, what a joke.

Fans with Zero ability to appreciate the record, the quality wins, with a mesh of New & so many young players.

Week to week, Pep is learning his opposition, the capabilities of the players he has been given, installing his Offense and  Trying to come up with stuff his guys can execute, of which ANYONE with an IOTA of sense can see, has been a HUGE CHALLENGE with Thornton, Satele, and McGlynn. 

10 games in, under these circumstances, Pep has earned a HUGE pat on the back and deserves some serious atta boys.

First calling someone with an opinion that isnt yours makes you an *, Pep has not provided any evidence that his so called long term plan will help anything, do you watch the games, or the NFL for that matter we are predictable and easily planned for.  Luck can only bail us out so many times.  Get over your narcissistic self or are you really just Pep in disguise?

i wasn't giving an excuse.  it is a fact.  i know it because i can count