Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh no! There's a cloud in the sky! Indianapolis local TV stations act like World War 3 just broke out.

t-rex

The entire NFL Sunday has been ruined to this point by the dramatic overreaction of every local Indianapolis TV station due to the weather. Where I live it has barely rained. Unreal! Why do these stations act like its a National emergency every time there is cloud in the sky?

I'm all for informing the public about important events. But there is no way this  storms should have caused every channel in Indianapolis to turn into the weather channel and completely ruin our NFL Sunday. Simple "cut ins" every half hour would have more than done the job.

Thank you NFL Sunday Ticket.

I noticed this afternoon on my computer that NFL Sunday Ticket was allowing us to get all of the TV games via computer or Ipad. Normally, games that are broadcast in your local TV market are unavailable. I can only assume the change was made because the NFL received word that it apparently was raining for the first time in the history of the state of Indiana,  and thus, NFL fans would be blackout out of TV coverage.

I hope WTHR, WISH, WIXN and WRTV see a ratings decline for their ridiculous over saturation coverage which as of this moment is still ongoing.

A lot of us work hard during the week and look forward to watching NFL football on Sundays as our only escape.  Thank you for ruining our Sunday far worse than this "storm of the century" could have done on its own.

Guys, we were not talking about Katrina, or the typhoon that hit southeast Asia. This was simply a batch of hard thunderstorms moving through the area. As I said in the OP, weather cut ins or weather breaks would have been fine. I'm even willing to bet that (fortunately) there was no loss of life in the Indianapolis area directly related to the storm. What we saw today was nothing but NEWS PR overkill PERIOD.

Guys, we were not talking about Katrina, or the typhoon that hit southeast Asia. This was simply a batch of hard thunderstorms moving through the area. As I said in the OP, weather cut ins or weather breaks would have been fine. I'm even willing to bet that (fortunately) there was no loss of life in the Indianapolis area directly related to the storm. What we saw today was nothing but NEWS PR overkill PERIOD.

With 70+ mile and hour winds. It was not Katrina, or the typhoon that hit recently... but reminiscent of the storm that hit when the State Fair stage collapse occurred. Indy got three separate lines of storms this time. It is over now, and you can go back to enjoy your regularly schedule GAME. I trust everyone you know is safe.

Oh man. So sorry that all those tornados and severe weather affected your ability to sit and stare at a TV screen watching guys in spandex play a game.

I will formally request that those who lost their homes, were injured, or are still without power to apologize for inconveniencing you.

So selfish of the tv stations to keep people aware of what was going on in their state. I'm sure no one has family or loved ones who live in various areas, and I'm also sure they weren't worried about their safety in the slightest.

The entire NFL Sunday has been ruined to this point by the dramatic overreaction of every local Indianapolis TV station due to the weather. Where I live it has barely rained. Unreal! Why do these stations act like its a National emergency every time there is cloud in the sky?

I'm all for informing the public about important events. But there is no way this  storms should have caused every channel in Indianapolis to turn into the weather channel and completely ruin our NFL Sunday. Simple "cut ins" every half hour would have more than done the job.

I noticed this afternoon on my computer that NFL Sunday Ticket was allowing us to get all of the TV games via computer or Ipad. Normally, games that are broadcast in your local TV market are unavailable. I can only assume the change was made because the NFL received word that it apparently was raining for the first time in the history of the state of Indiana,  and thus, NFL fans would be blackout out of TV coverage.

I hope WTHR, WISH, WIXN and WRTV see a ratings decline for their ridiculous over saturation coverage which as of this moment is still ongoing.

A lot of us work hard during the week and look forward to watching NFL football on Sundays as our only escape.  Thank you for ruining our Sunday far worse than this "storm of the century" could have done on its own.

I'll admit that I was angry that these storms interrupted my viewing of football.  But, I was angry at Mother Nature for picking a Sunday . . . not at the TV stations for wanting to keep us informed. 

I'm very happy that it barely rained where you live and you should be thankful because that was not the case everywhere in Indiana.

My facebook page is full of pics of destruction.  Here is just one of many:

994654_10201457707547943_1620239072_n.jp

I'm all for informing the public about important events. But there is no way this storms should have caused every channel in Indianapolis to turn into the weather channel and completely ruin our NFL Sunday. Simple "cut ins" every half hour would have more than done the job.

I noticed this afternoon on my computer that NFL Sunday Ticket was allowing us to get all of the TV games via computer or Ipad. Normally, games that are broadcast in your local TV market are unavailable. I can only assume the change was made because the NFL received word that it apparently was raining for the first time in the history of the state of Indiana, and thus, NFL fans would be blackout out of TV coverage.

A lot of us work hard during the week and look forward to watching NFL football on Sundays as our only escape. Thank you for ruining our Sunday far worse than this "storm of the century" could have done on its own.

Well my hometown was hit pretty hard...but heaven forbid you missed football. Maybe you can drive up to Kokomo and help them dig out and rebuild you ingrate!

Well my hometown was hit pretty hard...but heaven forbid you missed football. Maybe you can drive up to Kokomo and help them dig out and rebuild you ingrate!

I think we are missing the point. Nobody is saying it wasn't story. Or that the storm wasn't serious. Or that it didn't warrant intense, meaningful coverage. But for every station in Indianapolis to do what it did today, yes it was overkill.

I think we are missing the point. Nobody is saying it wasn't story. Or that the storm wasn't serious. Or that it didn't warrant intense, meaningful coverage. But for every station in Indianapolis to do what it did today, yes it was overkill.

It was a tragedy that effected a large portion of the state.

Not even remotely overkill.

Overkill is coming online to complain that your day wasn't just so perfect. While others don't have homes tonight.

With 70+ mile and hour winds. It was not Katrina, or the typhoon that hit recently... but reminiscent of the storm that hit when the State Fair stage collapse occurred. Indy got three separate lines of storms this time. It is over now, and you can go back to enjoy your regularly schedule GAME. I trust everyone you know is safe.

Fortunately everyone I know is safe. I will also add that to the best of my knowledge everyone across central Indiana is safe. And that is a good thing. If you recall the coverage when the State Fair collapsed, what we saw today easily surpassed that. 

You actually proved my point. 

When the state fair collapsed we didn't see close to the coverage we saw today. And that was a true tragic news event which warranted it. What we saw today was more about TV stations looking for an opportunity to promote their weather news teams than anything else. They knew thanks to the NFL the viewing audience would be large. So they took full advantage.

By the way, I dearly hope your family members and loved ones are okay too now the the worst of the storm has passed.

Considering places like Kokomo declared a state of emergency, I think you're understating it a little bit. 

Considering places like Kokomo declared a state of emergency, I think you're understating it a little bit. 

Actually, a few times a year during the winter, there will be 1 or 2 winter storms in which most of the counties in central Indiana will declare a weather emergency. And yet you will not see the coverage you saw today. 

Actually, a few times a year during the winter, there will be 1 or 2 winter storms in which most of the counties in central Indiana will declare a weather emergency. And yet you will not see the coverage you saw today.

Do those winter storms typically produce tornados which level houses?

Apples to apples?

I don't think you mean to suggest a state of emergency for a winter storm is the same thing as a state of an emergency for a tornado. 

Fortunately everyone I know is safe. I will also add that to the best of my knowledge everyone across central Indiana is safe. And that is a good thing. If you recall the coverage when the State Fair collapsed, what we saw today easily surpassed that.

When the state fair collapsed we didn't see close to the coverage we saw today. And that was a true tragic news event which warranted it. What we saw today was more about TV stations looking for an opportunity to promote their weather news teams than anything else. They knew thanks to the NFL the viewing audience would be large. So they took full advantage.

By the way, I dearly hope your family members and loved ones are okay too now the the worst of the storm has passed.

True. They didn't cover it as much because that storm was straight line winds... and the coverage came mostly after the collapse if my memory serves me correctly. That in turn is probably part of the reason why they covered this as much. It looked a lot nastier, and the storm was moving a mile a minute to the east. Tornadoes hit before they even got to the state. Both Fox 59 and WISH showed games on split screen, and latter in coverage they showed a bigger picture minus sound. Only breaking away to show important things. You could see what was going on.

It wasn't shown to get ratings as you seem to be implying at the end of your message.

My family is ok, and if everyone else comes out unscathed that is the best news we could ask for out of it all. Same as the tornado that hit the southside in 2002 taking out the YMCA, and houses which were next to the house I was in visiting a friend. No one died.

I understood your point and admit that I found myself switching back and forth from CBS to FOX hoping that one of them would show at least a little of the game.  A split screen would have been great.

The problem that I and others had was with your presentation.

You start off with a thread titled, "Oh, no! There's a cloud in the sky!  . . . along with a remark about WW3.

Then you go on to post:

it apparently was raining for the first time in the history of the state of Indiana, 

That comes over as callous and unfeeling to those for whom the storms were more than just a cloud in the sky or a brief rain shower especially when we know that many don't have power tonight and may have a home that was destroyed.

I understood your point and admit that I found myself switching back and forth from CBS to FOX hoping that one of them would show at least a little of the game. A split screen would have been great.

You start off with a thread titled, "Oh, no! There's a cloud in the sky! . . . along with a remark about WW3.

Then you go on to post:

it apparently was raining for the first time in the history of the state of Indiana,

That comes over as callous and unfeeling to those for whom the storms were more than just a cloud in the sky or a brief rain shower especially when we know that many don't have power tonight and may have a home that was destroyed.

...And Bingo was his name-O.

Or it could be that the line of storms that hit today were much more severe compared to that storm that hit during the stage collapse. That was a a bad storm that popped up quickly, but it was a straight line wind that took the stage down. Today there were over 60 tornados reports across Illinois and Indiana. Today had the potential to be a very serious occasion across all of Indiana and they covered it appropriately. Getting the news out about where these storms were heading and where rotation/touchdowns were is much more important than a football game. With how fast these storms were moving cutting in in just occasionally could have been disastrous for people.

Now I admit I am a bit biased since I have gone through a tornado and know the power. So a football game just is not that freaking important.

I understood your point and admit that I found myself switching back and forth from CBS to FOX hoping that one of them would show at least a little of the game.  A split screen would have been great.

You start off with a thread titled, "Oh, no! There's a cloud in the sky!  . . . along with a remark about WW3.

Then you go on to post:

Word.

I don't think you mean to suggest a state of emergency for a winter storm is the same thing as a state of an emergency for a tornado. 

They can produce hurricane force winds (74 MPH) ice, sleet, snow and very dangerous road conditions. They cause power outages which are more serious because of the much colder temperatures. I don't think you want to get into a debate over which is more dangerous.... a serious winter storm or a tornado state of emergency in Kokomo do you?

Again, for the 100th time, I am NOT saying today was not a serious event. It was. It warranted coverage. But IT WAS overkill. The fact that other examples such as severe winter storms and the collapse of the state fair generally DOES NOT get the coverage today's weather does proves the point.

I want to be clear in hoping that everyone is okay. My argument is NOT about whether or not the storm was serious. It was. My argument is about THE COVERAGE of the storm. That is a big difference I think some posters have missed.

My family is ok, and if everyone else comes out unscathed that is the best news we could ask for out of it all. Same as the tornado that hit the southside in 2002 taking out the YMCA, and houses which were next to the house I was in visiting a friend. No one died.

I'm glad your family is okay!

Then you go on to post:

Agreed. If I had it to write over again, the exaggerations would have been left out.

They can produce hurricane force winds (74 MPH) ice, sleet, snow and very dangerous road conditions. They cause power outages which are more serious because of the much colder temperatures. I don't think you want to get into a debate over which is more dangerous.... a serious winter storm or a tornado state of emergency in Kokomo do you?

Again, for the 100th time, I am NOT saying today was not a serious event. It was. It warranted coverage. But IT WAS overkill. The fact that other examples such as severe winter storms and the collapse of the state fair generally DOES NOT get the coverage today's weather did proves the point.

I want to be clear in hoping that everyone is okay. My argument is NOT about whether or not the storm was serious. It was. My argument is about THE COVERAGE of the storm. That is a big difference I think some posters have missed.

It's not a point missed. It's a point that is relevant only to you because you think the coverage was too much. Those who've been through these events, those who have families, and those who want to know what's going on in their own state disagree.

Football was the farthest thought in the mind of most of Indiana today. I would wager a guess that you are in the minority bothered by the coverage of the storms. If the winds shifted it could have quickly become relevant for those farther south.

Heavy winds up here in lake County....trees down here and west over the Illinois state line...

I understand being upset at not being able to watch the game but local TV stations have to jump all over this stuff..

They cant be showing the Jets and Buffalo when folks homes are getting flattened

They didnt ask...they ordered people to get out of the upper deck in Solider Field

It was real for us....up here

Do you have any idea the backlash and ramifications if the networks choose to ignore the weather and go ahead with football and people died? 

They certainly don't do that for the ratings. 

I think you'd have a different opinion if your home had been leveled, and you'd lost all your personal belongings like so many people did today.  And don't forget, some people lost their lives today too. Have some Heart, will ya.

I think you'd have a different opinion if your home had been leveled, and you'd lost all your personal belongings like so many people did today.  And don't forget, some people lost their lives today too. Have some Heart, will ya.

I wonder how many of those unlucky folks whom had their homes leveled were walking around their destroyed neighborhoods asking if anyone knew the days scores? 

This thread is embarrassing. Close it out of respect, please. 

Hopefully, the coverage overkill is what helped people stay safe.

I can say that I was much more interested in the storm announcements than football. I live on the third floor in my apartment building. How many buildings has anyone seen where the higher floors of a building survive a high intensity tornado? I wanted to live more than I wanted to see Philadelphia vs. Washington.

But by all means, let's make sure we split screen it.

Perspective, folks.

I don't see a perspective problem. Technology makes it possible for stations to show the game in a box, sans audio, while also providing live weather coverage. Fox 59 did this. WISH-TV mysteriously waited until the Bears-Ravens game was well into the second half. It's like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Again, for the 100th time, I am NOT saying today was not a serious event. It was. It warranted coverage. But IT WAS overkill. The fact that other examples such as severe winter storms and the collapse of the state fair generally DOES NOT get the coverage today's weather does proves the point.

I want to be clear in hoping that everyone is okay. My argument is NOT about whether or not the storm was serious. It was. My argument is about THE COVERAGE of the storm. That is a big difference I think some posters have missed.

:slaphead: Why don't you just drop it you have carried this way too far and I'm glad that until I lost power I could see where the storm was coming from.  It was more important to most people in Indiana than the football games. Lives and property are more important than football and the Colts were not playing anyway.

I don't see a perspective problem. Technology makes it possible for stations to show the game in a box, sans audio, while also providing live weather coverage. Fox 59 did this. WISH-TV mysteriously waited until the Bears-Ravens game was well into the second half. It's like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Perspective that not every station broadcasting news about the storm thought to themselves;

"Oh crap!! How can we stop this real world issue, that's effecting so many peoples lives, from effecting people who want to watch millionaires play a game?!?!"

Forgive them for their inconsideration lol.