Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent's Breakout?

Bluefire4

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, what have you seen from Lacy? A couple good games? Richardson had more than a couple good games last year as a rookie as well....

haha I saw like 3 impressive runs in that entire highlight reel and most of them, he either wasn't touched at all or was touched very little. That would mean 3 out of 267. The rest were exactly what he is, Goal line situations for a goal line back. 

Lacy broke off a 50+ yard run last night. He has 586 yards in 6 games (had 1 carry for 10 yards in the game he got hurt). Averaging 4.4 YPC

Richardson has 353 yards in 8 games, his longest run is 16 yards. All of last season his long was 32 yards and that was the second highlight in that youtube you posted. 

Lacy is decisive to the hole, he has a nice burst both of which Richardson does not have. Lacy hasn't had two operations on his knee. Other than that, they are like the same player. Both very talented, but the results speak for themselves. 

haha I saw like 3 impressive runs in that entire highlight reel and most of them, he either wasn't touched at all or was touched very little. That would mean 3 out of 267. The rest were exactly what he is, Goal line situations for a goal line back. 

Lacy broke off a 50+ yard run last night. He has 586 yards in 6 games (had 1 carry for 10 yards in the game he got hurt). Averaging 4.4 YPC

Richardson has 353 yards in 8 games, his longest run is 16 yards. All of last season his long was 32 yards and that was the second highlight in that youtube you posted. 

Lacy is decisive to the hole, he has a nice burst both of which Richardson does not have. Lacy hasn't had two operations on his knee. Other than that, they are like the same player. Both very talented, but the results speak for themselves. 

Richardson had 8 rushes man...compared to Lacy's 22. I will give you that Lacy looks good, but he is running behind an offensive line that is clearly creating holes. Its hard to do much when on 4 of your 8 rush attempts you are getting hit as you are receiving the handoff. I'm not making excuses for T-rich and would even be willing to give you the fact that Lacy does look like the better back at the moment. But at the same time there are so many contributing factors (ie holes, touches, scheme etc). And if you don't think that video showcases what T-rich is cabable of, I can't help you out....

When sux again this week after those other players stats you have shown,maybe then everybody will get off his bandwagon of hope! There was a reason cleveland didnt want him and they are sitting back laughing and loving that number one draft pick! I will laugh when cleveland uses that pick to grab a good rb that accually turns out to be good.

I am very hopeful for Trent to break out but it is hard to watch when you see Eddie Lacy last night (who has a similar style/body) just continue to tear up the league. Getting Trent out in space seems to be the best bet but he just lacks explosion right now...I can't put my finger on it but he just seems to be running in 1st gear sometimes...driving piles forward...a little too much side to side hoping but just not hitting the hole...or making a hole like I would like to see. I wonder if he is fully healthy...I know he had leg issues in college and his rookie season...just wonder if he is hiding something....pray he gets healthy and we see some of the running we ALL know he is capable of....because he is more than CAPABLE.

Okay, what have you seen from Lacy? A couple good games? Richardson had more than a couple good games last year as a rookie as well....

Not nearly as many as Lacey, and with a worse o line. Not to mention if you've watched Lacey you''ll note that while Trent can beat up a defense and drags people, Lacey does it even better. he also has that crazy spin move, seriously he drags people farther than Rich, and falls forward every play. 

Welcome to the Colts Forum, glad to have you here. You've said what I've suspected. Throughout the first three games, our O-line appeared to be good. Actually, we were amongst the best run blocking teams in the league for that short span while Ballard, Brown, and Bradshaw were in the backfield. Then we start Trent at RB, and it appears that our O-line can't block.

I understand the relationship between a running back and the O-line. They feed off of one another's success. There should be a hole for the back to run through. The RB should not have to fend for his life in the backfield. I get all of that. But if a RB can't hit the holes in time, or identify an opening in the line elsewhere, it makes the O-line look bad too. All of a sudden, with Trent, we can't run block. yet, for Brown (draws and different formations) the O-line can somehow block.

But didn't you know that a rb has no such thing as "vision" as its an un-definable term and and that Rbs are only allowed to run into their lineman's * or holes created by them. 

Now, don't hate on me too much because I'm a Browns fan for life, but a lot of what everyone is saying about Trent not having a good offensive line is what we did here, made excuses for Trent. Bottom line is, he's just not that good, period. He can do some damage out in space, but he's too slow to get there. And he's too slow to get through the holes, so it makes the offensive line look bad. I've seen how much better D. Brown looks carrying the ball, he flies through the hole. If you saw the two backs, you'd think Trent was the backup.

I have no issues with the Colts, I really like Andrew Luck A LOT. I did just join today, because I'm interested in Trent's future, and how this trade between the two teams will end up.

Orly? How's McGhee working out? Pretty much the same. It's not our fault you guys drafted him #3. Sure we will still have to come off a low 1st but you usually over pay in free agency. Especially for a young player who may or may not have hit his stride.

Richardson had 8 rushes man...compared to Lacy's 22. I will give you that Lacy looks good, but he is running behind an offensive line that is clearly creating holes. Its hard to do much when on 4 of your 8 rush attempts you are getting hit as you are receiving the handoff. I'm not making excuses for T-rich and would even be willing to give you the fact that Lacy does look like the better back at the moment. But at the same time there are so many contributing factors (ie holes, touches, scheme etc). And if you don't think that video showcases what T-rich is cabable of, I can't help you out....

To piggyback what someone else (or maybe you, i don't remember lol) said. The rb and line feed off each other... well it seemed that the oline wanted to block for Ballard and Bradshaw but not for Rich for whatever reason. So with this in mind wouldn't it be better to not waste a potential probowler on a unwilling line, and just find a back that they want to block for?

To piggyback what someone else (or maybe you, i don't remember lol) said. The rb and line feed off each other... well it seemed that the oline wanted to block for Ballard and Bradshaw but not for Rich for whatever reason. So with this in mind wouldn't it be better to not waste a potential probowler on a unwilling line, and just find a back that they want to block for?

are you really suggesting they don't want to block for trich?

I love these threads.  Listen TRich is going to break out this week and heres why....But if he doesnt its definitely next week and heres why....Ok he didnt but Week 12 FOR SURE is his break out....Ok so didnt this game, but Get a good preseason under his belt and next season will be MONSTER.

Orly? How's McGhee working out? Pretty much the same. It's not our fault you guys drafted him #3. Sure we will still have to come off a low 1st but you usually over pay in free agency. Especially for a young player who may or may not have hit his stride.

Keep making excuses.  Bottom line is the Browns received a treasured 1st round pick for a guy that is producing similarly to Willis McGahee.  The Browns got drilled nationally for making this trade, but as it turns out, they are getting the better of the deal.  All I keep hearing are excuses for Trent.  You guys have to be harder on player like this.  Not coddle them.  We used to blame our offensive line as well, but I can tell you that after watching Trent run behind our offensive line, that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in production between him and McGahee and/or Ogbayanna.  There is no excuse for that.  Guys like AP run like madmen on bad teams.  For a 1st rounder, that's what you should be getting.  Stop excusing him, and start demanding better.

Keep making excuses. Bottom line is the Browns received a treasured 1st round pick for a guy that is producing similarly to Willis McGahee. The Browns got drilled nationally for making this trade, but as it turns out, they are getting the better of the deal. All I keep hearing are excuses for Trent. You guys have to be harder on player like this. Not coddle them. We used to blame our offensive line as well, but I can tell you that after watching Trent run behind our offensive line, that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in production between him and McGahee and/or Ogbayanna. There is no excuse for that. Guys like AP run like madmen on bad teams. For a 1st rounder, that's what you should be getting. Stop excusing him, and start demanding better.

Yeah you guys traded your #3 over all pick for a low 1st. Plus paid most of his salary. Good job. We got a young rb who may or may not turn out to be pretty good. We sacrificed our pick which would have been the same if we drafted a rb. Only thing is he will have much more experience and be full bore come next year. Sure we could of gambled on a lower round pick that May or may not turned out good. "Carter" and will have Ballard coming off knee injury.

So now as a Colts organization is to help him be the best we can be. Instead of Colts fans always whining and comaining maybe it would help to discuss what would make him shine more and develope. And I don't give a rats butt what any browns fan has to say. Deal is done, time to make it work for both sides.

Keep making excuses. Bottom line is the Browns received a treasured 1st round pick for a guy that is producing similarly to Willis McGahee. The Browns got drilled nationally for making this trade, but as it turns out, they are getting the better of the deal. All I keep hearing are excuses for Trent. You guys have to be harder on player like this. Not coddle them. We used to blame our offensive line as well, but I can tell you that after watching Trent run behind our offensive line, that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in production between him and McGahee and/or Ogbayanna. There is no excuse for that. Guys like AP run like madmen on bad teams. For a 1st rounder, that's what you should be getting. Stop excusing him, and start demanding better.

Yeah I can't wait till you guys have to package your 1 and our 1, to get high enough to get the QB you want lol. Totally working out for you guys once you started winning this season.

And I hope its Bridgewater. Blow the picks to waste a pick on ANOTHER overrated QB.

You know the front office made the Trent trade assuming their own pick would be in the 10 top lol.

Now their going to have our high pick, and their medium pick, which won't be enough to grab Johnny Football.

Hey I'm not posting here as a Browns fan to try to start fights about TR.  I have no ill will towards the Colts or the Colts fans at all.  My only purpose was to tell you that those excuses that you're making for TR are the same ones that we made.  But now we're learning that the problem was TR.  He wasn't worth a #3 overall pick.  And he wasn't worth trading a first round pick for.  He's too slow to the hole.  He dances around too much.  He has no burst.  He's slower than the opposing linebackers.  I actually hope he proves me wrong, as I said, I don't hate the Colts.  I'm not that kind of NFL fan.  I just hate the Steelers.  :-) 

Hey I'm not posting here as a Browns fan to try to start fights about TR. I have no ill will towards the Colts or the Colts fans at all. My only purpose was to tell you that those excuses that you're making for TR are the same ones that we made. But now we're learning that the problem was TR. He wasn't worth a #3 overall pick. And he wasn't worth trading a first round pick for. He's too slow to the hole. He dances around too much. He has no burst. He's slower than the opposing linebackers. I actually hope he proves me wrong, as I said, I don't hate the Colts. I'm not that kind of NFL fan. I just hate the Steelers. :-)

Once our current Center and RG are no longer playing for us, assuming we've upgraded, and Trent still hasn't produced THEN I will jump on the "bad trade" bandwagon, but until then, with the way the Colts are using him, I will give Trent the benefit of the doubt.

And to the incompetent members who keep bringing up Donald Browns "stats", tell me why he can't make it back to the line of scrimmage when he's had to play in the nonsense formations that Trent has. And it's no coincidence when Trent is the formations that Brown normally gets to run in, he finds his way 7-10 yards down field. So spare me the "stat" nonsense and watch more than just the guy with the ball.

Once our current Center and RG are no longer playing for us, assuming we've upgraded, and Trent still hasn't produced THEN I will jump on the "bad trade" bandwagon, but until then, with the way the Colts are using him, I will give Trent the benefit of the doubt.

And to the incompetent members who keep bringing up Donald Browns "stats", tell me why he can't make it back to the line of scrimmage when he's had to play in the nonsense formations that Trent has. And it's no coincidence when Trent is the formations that Brown normally gets to run in, he finds his way 7-10 yards down field. So spare me the "stat" nonsense and watch more than just the guy with the ball.

Exactly! Pep is asking our line to be road graders when they are floor polishers at best. What hole is he supposed to "explode" to? Good greif I feel like I lose brain cells every time I read these forums.

Hey I'm not posting here as a Browns fan to try to start fights about TR.  I have no ill will towards the Colts or the Colts fans at all.  My only purpose was to tell you that those excuses that you're making for TR are the same ones that we made.  But now we're learning that the problem was TR.  He wasn't worth a #3 overall pick.  And he wasn't worth trading a first round pick for.  He's too slow to the hole.  He dances around too much.  He has no burst.  He's slower than the opposing linebackers.  I actually hope he proves me wrong, as I said, I don't hate the Colts.  I'm not that kind of NFL fan.  I just hate the Steelers.  :-) 

that's just how some posters operate on all these forums. when they can't come up with good arguments to make their point, they attack the poster and being a fan of another team gives them even more ammunition. they even say colt fans aren't good enough or true fans if they don't support their point of view.

that's just how some posters operate on all these forums. when they can't come up with good arguments to make their point, they attack the poster and being a fan of another team gives them even more ammunition. they even say colt fans aren't good enough or true fans if they don't support their point of view.

God forbid we support out team and players and choose to pass judgment after time.

The blocking from our Guards and Center was awful for Trent in that game, There was only 1 run that I thought Trent really made a bad read and that was at 8:43 of the first Quarter on 2 massive holes opened up...One as usual on Castonzos side...Thornton did a good job to at LG opening up the hole as well.......Also a hole was opened up by Brooks Reeds overpursuit on that same play...Richardson has to jump step in either direction and hit one of them holes....preferably the one opened up by Thornton and Castonzo

^What happens when you stop trying to respectfully disagree with someone, and chose to make their stance, "Attacking others."

As opposed to everything you wrote, maybe you just see things a different way then others who seem to want to support Trent. Crazy I know, but it is a theory on dissenting oppinions.

It's perfectly okay in your world to critize Trent all day every day, but disagree in a direct manner with a poster on here? "Heavens no. Don't attack people with your contrarian ideas."

This is ridiculous btw....

All I know is that, if he ever does have a breakout, the product below might help!

83997700502_450x450_a.jpg

In all seriousness, I think the price paid has elevated the expectations to unreasonable levels.  I get the frustration on the part of many fans but the guy is hardly a bust.  With the complete absence of an offensive line full of nasty maulers, it's very difficult to install and sustain a true power offense.  This is why Brown appears to be having greater success.  When he's in, we appear to run very few plays which would be considered power plays.  Brown is more of a scat-back and, as such, relies on speed and elusiveness over power and physicality.  Our line, in it's present incarnation, isn't going to hold blocks for long or generate much of a push.  Brown's abilities to hit the hole quickly, make a man miss and get to the next level are well-suited for playing behind the line we're fielding.  It's a broken record but we really do need to address the interior of the line before we can truly evaluate Trent's value to this team.  In time, I think he'll prove to be a quality back. 

Why else would he be struggling in the same formation that Ballard and Bradshaw did well in? 

ballard has way too small of a sample size to even bring up

and every opponent is different.  every block is different.  my god man.  lay off the espn.  this oline is not playing well.  everyone can see this.  watch the games.  watch them in slow motion if you have to

ballard has way too small of a sample size to even bring up

and every opponent is different. every block is different. my god man. lay off the espn. this oline is not playing well. everyone can see this. watch the games. watch them in slow motion if you have to

Not only that but Bradshaw only had one good game "San Fran". He didn't look that good in the raider game. He looked damn good in that game also, which I'm sure he could of maintained that level if he didn't get hurt. The difference I see is Bradshaw ran *! He ran like he had bad intentions and it showed. So far Trent seems more quiet. Like to see him bring the passion. Get loud, get mad! Straight up snap!

Not nearly as many as Lacey, and with a worse o line. Not to mention if you've watched Lacey you''ll note that while Trent can beat up a defense and drags people, Lacey does it even better. he also has that crazy spin move, seriously he drags people farther than Rich, and falls forward every play. 

Seriously though....how many RBs in the league can pull this play off? Combination of strength and agility WHILE holding onto the ball getting hit from every direction...the dude has skills...just a matter of time before it gets figured out by him and the coaching staff....

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Indianapolis_Colts_running_back_Trent_Richardson_breaking_tackles/a4ed027a-a2a2-481b-a6fb-f99a53b16373

I love these threads.  Listen TRich is going to break out this week and heres why....But if he doesnt its definitely next week and heres why....Ok he didnt but Week 12 FOR SURE is his break out....Ok so didnt this game, but Get a good preseason under his belt and next season will be MONSTER.

That's finally come true for someone who was a Donald Brown loyalist...

Not only that but Bradshaw only had one good game "San Fran". He didn't look that good in the raider game. He looked damn good in that game also, which I'm sure he could of maintained that level if he didn't get hurt. The difference I see is Bradshaw ran *! He ran like he had bad intentions and it showed. So far Trent seems more quiet. Like to see him bring the passion. Get loud, get mad! Straight up snap!

Loved Bradshaw's game in San Fran, but gotta think there is a little "Bob Sander's" in the way Bradshaw played ball...

It was great for the few weeks we got out of them...

Seriously though....how many RBs in the league can pull this play off? Combination of strength and agility WHILE holding onto the ball getting hit from every direction...the dude has skills...just a matter of time before it gets figured out by him and the coaching staff....

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Indianapolis_Colts_running_back_Trent_Richardson_breaking_tackles/a4ed027a-a2a2-481b-a6fb-f99a53b16373

Lol I never realized he stepped on that guys face causing his helmet to fall off. I guess thats why they're called highlights. 

It's definitely frustrating watching TRich fighting to pick up 2 or 3 yards almost every carry, but I still don't think it was a bad trade, nor do I blame all of his problems on him. It is nice to see Brown picking up some of the slack, but that doesn't mean I think he's the better back. I know I wouldn't want brown back there every pass play protecting luck, richardson is obviously a much better blocker. I still got a lot of faith in Rich for next season, and I think he'll gradually improve this season too. Once the problems are fixed with the oline next year I think he'll really start reaching his full potential. Most of the time I'm actually impressed with the way he's able to pick up 3 or 4 yards after getting hit 2 yards behind the line. He's extremely physical, and once we find a way to consistently get him into space everyone will start to realize how valuable he really is. I don't think he'll produce much in the power formation this year behind this line, but I think pep will find some other ways to get him into space. I really hope we see a lot more screens this year..

I just hate seeing so many people being so down on him after only 7 games. Like it or not, he's with us now so we should all give him some support. I know we're all frustrated, but imagine how he feels knowing what he's capable of, but he just can't get any help up front. I just think we should give it some more time before we come down too hard on the guy. If he's still producing the same numbers this time next year then I would probably understand why you would write him off.