Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The Peyton Effect So Apparent, Will Marvin Get Voted Into The Hall Of Fame?

GoGoColts

I'd think so...someone still has to catch the pass, right? He made some pretty spectacular grabs over the years, and was quick and precise enough to get in a position to make those grabs. Just because Peyton is probably the best overall QB in the history of the game shouldn't take away from Marvin's stats.

Eventually.

It will take some time. Part of that is his legal troubles, and part of that is just the nature of the wide receiver position.

Look at how long it too Art Monk to get in. When he retired he was pretty close to the top of a lot of the leader-boards.

Cris Carter, Tim Brown, etc.

While I'd take Marvin over any of those 3, it is only going to be tougher on him when you add Moss, Owens to the equation. He will get in but I bet it will take a few years.

Do you guys think that his legal troubles make a difference? Ray Lewis had similar legal issues to Marvin. It seems to me that the NFL doesn't worry about character as much for the HOF. I don't eve want to get started on Lawrence Taylor.

You have to look at the time difference with Lawrence Taylor. Even with him playing in New York, he didn't receive any thing close to the media attention of what a player of his caliber would receive today. With camera phones, TMZ and other sites, Goodell in as commish, the personal conduct policy and so on Taylor would have been suspended and likely out of the league for some of the issues he had. He's one of the main reasons for the personal conduct policy. Ray Lewis would have been suspended longer if it would have happened under Goodell as opposed to Tags. It's a different era from a media perspective.

Of coarse he will. Marvin's numbers speak for themselves. He still had to get open and make the receptions while other teams were keying on him.

Marvin had great hands, but he had zero physicality. He was also clearly responsible for a number of interceptions during the regular season and playoffs.

Marvin had great hands, but he had zero physicality. He was also clearly responsible for a number of interceptions during the regular season and playoffs.

That makes his stats even more incredible!!!!! While you wouldn't even consider him when speaking of big receivers, during his time he was without a doubt the most successful.

If you want to blame him for interceptions then praise him for the game winning TDs as well. BTW Peyton was responsible for some of the INTs as well.

I hope that it doesn't take long for him to get in because like someone else said the numbers speak for themselves. It was a pleasure to watch that guy play the game.

Of coure Marvin gets in. Question is when? He was a Colt before Manning and had a lot to do with enabling Manning most particularly during the early years. Those two helped one another and were mastered at in-game communication including Marvin Harrison conveying what he saw in coverage from his viewpoint.

I agree

i wonder how many hof receivers never had a hof qb. probably not many

Monk (Theisman, Williams & a couple of others)

Largent (Zorn)

Alworth (Hadl) (missed a season with Unitas by one year)

Biletnikoff (Stabler)

Those on the brink of making it: Cris Carter & Tim Brown never played with a HOF QB.

James Lofton played with Jim Kelly during the twilight of his career but wasn't extremely productive with him outside of one season and most of his better seasons were played without a HOF QB.

Some of the older guys I'm not sure of but there aren't a ton of modern day wide receivers in the HOF.

Swann, Stallworth (Bradshaw)

Rice, (Young & Montana)

Bob Hayes (Staubach)

Irvin (Aikman)

Joiner(Fouts)

Warfield( 5 years with Griese)