Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis on the Manning sack

dw49

From NFL.com.

Lost in the media-embellished balderdash leading up to Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis two weeks ago was the quarterback's guarantee that Colts pass rusher Robert Mathis "hits a heck of a lot harder than Eli does."

Harrison: Week 9 Game Picks

Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpgHow will Andrew Luck and the Colts fare without ReggieWayneElliot Harrisonmakes his predictions for Week 9. READ

Manning's quip was a harbinger to Mathis' game-changing safety that sent the Colts on a 21-0 run, ultimately propelled them to a 39-33 upset victory in Week 7.

Mathis told NFL Media's Andrew Siciliano on Thursday's edition of NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that he had no choice but to light up his former teammate.

"It's no big secret that I'm a QB hater," Mathis said. "(Manning is) a good friend of mine off the field. Between the lines, it's kill or be killed. I hate to put it like that, but he's a competitor. He's going to light up a scoreboard. You just have to make him uncomfortable as much as possible."

Although NFL Media's Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk opined on NFL Network's "Gameday Final" that Manning's waning arm strength dropped several more levels after the sack, Mathis didn't notice a difference.

"Could have fooled me," Mathis explained, "because he put points up, and he put them up in a hurry, so I didn't see it that way. He's a competitor, and if he did, he hid it well."

It will be interesting to see if the NFL's sack leader and theunofficial midseason MVP meet again in the AFC playoffs later this season.

From NFL.com.

Lost in the media-embellished balderdash leading up to Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis two weeks ago was the quarterback's guarantee that Colts pass rusher Robert Mathis "hits a heck of a lot harder than Eli does."

Harrison: Week 9 Game Picks
Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpgHow will Andrew Luck and the Colts fare without ReggieWayneElliot Harrisonmakes his predictions for Week 9. READ

Manning's quip was a harbinger to Mathis' game-changing safety that sent the Colts on a 21-0 run, ultimately propelled them to a 39-33 upset victory in Week 7.

Mathis told NFL Media's Andrew Siciliano on Thursday's edition of NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that he had no choice but to light up his former teammate.

"It's no big secret that I'm a QB hater," Mathis said. "(Manning is) a good friend of mine off the field. Between the lines, it's kill or be killed. I hate to put it like that, but he's a competitor. He's going to light up a scoreboard. You just have to make him uncomfortable as much as possible."

Although NFL Media's Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk opined on NFL Network's "Gameday Final" that Manning's waning arm strength dropped several more levels after the sack, Mathis didn't notice a difference.

"Could have fooled me," Mathis explained, "because he put points up, and he put them up in a hurry, so I didn't see it that way. He's a competitor, and if he did, he hid it well."

It will be interesting to see if the NFL's sack leader and theunofficial midseason MVP meet again in the AFC playoffs later this season.

I  agree with Robert Mathis on both counts. If you are paid to make a QB feel uncomfortable, go do it & I never saw a huge drop off in Manning's throws after that sack. I heard Kurt Warner say that on NFL Total Access & I've never laughed so hard in my life. Was every ball after that a perfect spiral? No, but 18 pulled them within 6 points of winning. 

Sometimes, I think analysts just love to pull provocative comments out of thin air. Where's there's smoke there isn't always fire. Mathis played a great game though. 

So the author of that article calls Mathis the "Unofficial midseason MVP", but then links to an article where Mathis isn't mentioned once...not even for defensive player of the year.

That seems like a bit of a joke to me.

No he was saying that it will be interesting if Mathis and Peyton meet again in the post season.

So the author of that article calls Mathis the "Unofficial midseason MVP", but then links to an article where Mathis isn't mentioned once...not even for defensive player of the year.

That seems like a bit of a joke to me.

No, he called Manning the unofficial MVP, and implied the Colts and Broncos are destined to meet again in the playoffs this year

I  agree with Robert Mathis on both counts. If you are paid to make a QB feel uncomfortable, go do it & I never saw a huge drop off in Manning's throws after that sack. I heard Kurt Warner say that on NFL Total Access & I've never laughed so hard in my life. Was every ball after that a perfect spiral? No, but 18 pulled them within 6 points of winning. 

Sometimes, I think analysts just love to pull provocative comments out of thin air. Where's there's smoke there isn't always fire. Mathis played a great game though. 

It's a contact sport and nothing dirty about the hit. I'm glad no serious injury to Manning and I'm glad Mathis makes that play as it probably was the game winner. 

I thought Manning's arm strength looked less than normal most of the game. He was floating a lot of passes instead of throwing them on a rope. Maybe I just noticed after the sack, I can't remember. However, I definitely remember thinking on multiple occasions that his arm wasn't totally there. I haven't noticed it in other Bronco's games I have watched.

I thought Manning's arm strength looked less than normal most of the game. He was floating a lot of passes instead of throwing them on a rope. Maybe I just noticed after the sack, I can't remember. However, I definitely remember thinking on multiple occasions that his arm wasn't totally there. I haven't noticed it in other Bronco's games I have watched.

could have been due to two ankle springs

It's not the "Laser Rocket Arm" he used to have.

He is still one heck of an effective passer!

Manning never did throw the "perfect" spiral, I still laugh at some of his wobblers that hit the mark.

He's fine, just doesn’t have the gun he used to have.

To be expected, with his age and what he has been through.

Still one of the Best Ever!

It's not the "Laser Rocket Arm" he used to have.

He is still one heck of an effective passer!

Manning never did throw the "perfect" spiral, I still laugh at some of his wobblers that hit the mark.

He's fine, just doesn’t have the gun he used to have.

To be expected, with his age and what he has been through.

Still one of the Best Ever!

Manning is such a great competitor that he finds a way to compensate for whatever arm strength he's lost through time and injury. I can't remember too many tight spirals that he ever threw at any point in his career, but after that Mathis sack he seemed to have just a bit less zip on the ball, and he did toss up a couple of "ducks".

I thought Robert could have stuck his head right in Peyton's back and he didn't

I thought he could have gone helmnt to helmet but he didn't....he went for the hit and the

arm bar' to strip the ball..

There's no way to know but I think Robert knew who he was hitting..and didnt go all Brandon Merriweather on him

I thought Robert could have stuck his head right in Peyton's back and he didn't

I thought he could have gone helmnt to helmet but he didn't....he went for the hit and the

arm bar' to strip the ball..

There's no way to know but I think Robert knew who he was hitting..and didnt go all Brandon Merriweather on him

mathis hit manning like he hits any QB. Just because he didn't go dirty player on Manning doesn't mean he hit manning differently it just means he's not a dirty player.

Manning is such a great competitor that he finds a way to compensate for whatever arm strength he's lost through time and injury. I can't remember too many tight spirals that he ever threw at any point in his career, but after that Mathis sack he seemed to have just a bit less zip on the ball, and he did toss up a couple of "ducks".

He clearly had less Zip. I would bet the nerve damage affects the strength of his grip. After the hit he had less of something that seemed to get better somewhat in the second half.

Manning was outed on his play calling after the hit. He QUIT throwing some of his usual routes and went with things he could still throw until whatever hurt him felt better. A Warner, and others who know the game at a higher level probably recognized this first.

His arm has likely peaked, and at 37, he will suffer steady loss.

The season won`t get any easier for Manning and YOU Can Bet he won`t react well to hits come playoff time.

The best part of the Mathis sack was when Peyton gave that little smile after it while watching the replay on the big screen. You can almost read his mind like "Mathis finnally got me" and he actually seemed a little happy for Mathis

He is better than ever hiding his pout in front of the camera. Not counting the Huge Pouty Face he wore walking off the field, One & Done again after LOSING at home in the playoffs. I lmao.

No, I bet he was trying to figure out what hurt the worst.

He clearly had less Zip. I would bet the nerve damage affects the strength of his grip. After the hit he had less of something that seemed to get better somewhat in the second half.

Manning was outed on his play calling after the hit. He QUIT throwing some of his usual routes and went with things he could still throw until whatever hurt him felt better. A Warner, and others who know the game at a higher level probably recognized this first.

His arm has likely peaked, and at 37, he will suffer steady loss.

The season won`t get any easier for Manning and YOU Can Bet he won`t react well to hits come playoff time.

The big issue in the playoffs will be the weather factor. If cold and windy , teams can really afford to take a few more chances defending him.

it was his feet. I tought the same thing at first glance. I rewatched teh game last week, but not because of that fact but because i was surprised how good our D played so i wanted to take another look where i wasnt screaming like crazy lol

He has said on interviews, there is even a pretty good washintong post article on it, that his arm is not the same but he compensates with good mechanics and using his legs. watch the game, im guessing you mean some throws to DT. watch how his feet wasnt properly set, or made a last second step backwards...it was our pressure, even if we didnt hit him, there wasnt a clean pocket, his LT getting bullrushed and not being able to steup into the throw, Redding makign him move last second etc...IMO thats what cause those throws.

mathis hit manning like he hits any QB. Just because he didn't go dirty player on Manning doesn't mean he hit manning differently it just means he's not a dirty player.

Go back and look at some of Robert's sacks

...Blasting a guy with the helmet in the back is not a dirty play (although it might be flagged these days)...and I've seen Robert do that....many times he just does for the arm..but often he goes for the biggest hit

He would never admkit it but he just didnt do it to Peyton..That's what I meant

Go back and look at some of Robert's sacks

...Blasting a guy with the helmet in the back is not a dirty play (although it might be flagged these days)...and I've seen Robert do that....many times he just does for the arm..but often he goes for the biggest hit

He would never admkit it but he just didnt do it to Peyton..That's what I meant

No he didn't you are seeing what you want to see.