Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All interceptions are on the QB, right?

oldunclemark

In discussing Peyton Manning and Geno Smith in other threads, I said that all interceptions are on the QB. They are his fault, bottom line because he made the decision and he threw the ball ...

I thought that was universally understood..

3 picks for Peyton or 2 pick 6s for Geno Sunday and he's had an off day even if the receiver ran the wrong route or fell down or tipped the ball..

Just the same way that if the WR makes a great catch, the QB quite rightfully gets credit for the TD because he made the decision to throw and he threw it.

That's the world of an NFL QB....when you throw the ball 3 things can happen

...to say the interceptions are not a QB's fault is just making excuses and 2 or 3 picks is a rough day no matter what the circumstances of the interceptions are....right? Blame is different from fault

Your thoughts

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

blame

verb: blame; 3rd person present: blames; past tense: blamed; past participle: blamed; gerund or present participle: blaming

1. 1.

assign responsibility for a fault or wrong.

"the inquiry blamed the engineer for the accident"

synonyms:

hold responsible, hold accountable, condemn, accuse, find/consider guilty, assign fault/liability/guilt to, indict, point the finger at, finger, incriminate; More

I agree to some degree.   At the end of the year no one is going to look at 10 ints and start adding/subtracting based on whether they were tips, wrong routes, defender drops, etc.  Just like a Qb's TD  mark doesn't take into account those things.

Well, im not sure about anyone else, but i only look at adjusted int% which subtracts tipped INTs and INTs that are from Hail Mary's at the end of the half/game. 

Come on marc, the first thread was silly enough, why are you doubling down?

You are willfully confusing the semantics of a QB being ultimately responsibility for every play on offense, with the reality of evaluating an individuals performance.

In other words, the statement "all interceptions are the QBs responsibility" is true. They all go on his record, and at the end of the day no-one is going to care about more than that as time passes and records accumulate.

But that has NOTHING to do with the evaluation of an individuals performance. Do you think in the film room the coaches are saying "It's all the QB's fault?" What conceivable benefit is that to anyone. If someone ran the wrong route it needs to be identified and corrected. If a RB blew a block so that a rusher came unimpeded and hit the QB's arm, it needs to be identified and corrected. The only errors for which a QB's actions need to be corrected are the ones where he actually made a mistake.

You started a thread in which all that mattered to you was that Peyton had three interceptions. HOW does a receiver falling down or a DB manhandling the ball away not impact the evaluation of Peyton's performance? The offense made mistakes, and it's all Peytons' responsibility, but that does NOT indict his performance.

Like I said..Blame is different from fault, understand?

:lol:

And in the other thread you tsked tsked and said I was just looking for a debate?

The person looking for a debate is the person who starts a thread to define the difference between "blame" and "fault", but doesn't suggest that until baiting everyone with an OP implying something completely different.

You must be very bored. :thmsup:

:lol:

And in the other thread you tsked tsked and said I was just looking for a debate?

The person looking for a debate is the person who starts a thread to define the difference between "blame" and "fault", but doesn't suggest that until baiting everyone with an OP implying something completely different.

You must be very bored. :thmsup:

The other thread was about Peyton Manning....this is about interceptions...

This talk deserved its own thread.....

QBs get the blame for interceptions..they are on their record...

Like I said over there....WRs don't have interceptions on their record, QBs do.

QBs have won-loss records..no other players do.

....I think you understand that...no matter how hard it may be to just agree.

By the way, thanks for following me over.

....must not be that boring

Come on marc, the first thread was silly enough, why are you doubling down?

You are willfully confusing the semantics of a QB being ultimately responsibility for every play on offense, with the reality of evaluating an individuals performance.

In other words, the statement "all interceptions are the QBs responsibility" is true. They all go on his record, and at the end of the day no-one is going to care about more than that as time passes and records accumulate.

But that has NOTHING to do with the evaluation of an individuals performance. Do you think in the film room the coaches are saying "It's all the QB's fault?" What conceivable benefit is that to anyone. If someone ran the wrong route it needs to be identified and corrected. If a RB blew a block so that a rusher came unimpeded and hit the QB's arm, it needs to be identified and corrected. The only errors for which a QB's actions need to be corrected are the ones where he actually made a mistake.

You started a thread in which all that mattered to you was that Peyton had three interceptions. HOW does a receiver falling down or a DB manhandling the ball away not impact the evaluation of Peyton's performance?

The offense made mistakes, and it's all Peytons' responsibility.

I never said that all that mattered to me was interceptions./

I don't feel that way about any QB..

....Your last sentence is my point...we agree. Just admit it

I think its definetly how you look at it..buc..and everybody here thinks they're right

You may or may not agree.....which is why I brought it up.

I think its a good philosophical dicussion

the reality is..ALL interceptions go on the QB record..which makes up the QB rating..

they are all his responsibility because he threw the ball.

They count against him..and we all quote those stats

When folks (like us) talk about Andrew Luck's 18 picks last year....

nobody talks about how many were his fault...(one was at the end of the half of the Bears game) a throw away.

because they're ALL his responsibility...

I think folks object to the words..but agree with the thought

Yeah that's dumb. No offense.

But 'we quote the QB rating which is based, in small part,. on interceptions....no matter whose fault you may think they are...

If its dumb..the QB rating is dumb....(which I might agree with) and the TD to interception ratio for QBs is dumb..

see what I mean

Oldunclemark is just encouraging discussion, which is fine, but this is borderline trolling imo. Sometimes, a little common sense can go a long way.

Oldunclemark, I'm just glad you got this off your chest when you did. I'd hate to have this be your 10,000th post.

Oldunclemark is just encouraging discussion, which is fine, but this is borderline trolling imo. Sometimes, a little common sense can go a long way.

Oldunclemark, I'm just glad you got this off your chest when you did. I'd hate to have this be your 10,000th post.

The night is young.

I think its definetly how you look at it..buc..and everybody here thinks they're rightYou may or may not agree.....which is why I brought it up.I think its a good philosophical dicussionthe reality is..ALL interceptions go on the QB record..which makes up the QB rating..they are all his responsibility because he threw the ball.They count against him..and we all quote those statsWhen folks (like us) talk about Andrew Luck's 18 picks last year....nobody talks about how many were his fault...(one was at the end of the half of the Bears game) a throw away.because they're ALL his responsibility...I think folks object to the words..but agree with the thought

More accurately, everybody here thinks you are wrong.

After reading the thread title and reading the original post I have come to the conclusion that this is the only response I could give that would be within the rules of this forum

No+Colin+Come+on+man+he+s+the+only+reaso

More accurately, everybody here thinks you are wrong.

I wouldn't say everyone.....Just 99.9% 

I don't know why this thought is so upsetting..and igniting...Dy....

...QBs have wins a losses and ratings based partially on intereptions..

So interceptions are ALL on the QB.....no matter who's fault

I didn't think it was A HOT BUTTON topic.

I'm as mellow as a bye week....I apologize for upsetting my message board brothers with this radical, controversial thought

After reading the thread title and reading the original post I have come to the conclusion that this is the only response I could give that would be within the rules of this forum

No+Colin+Come+on+man+he+s+the+only+reaso

I wouldn't say everyone.....Just 99.9%

I get one tenth of one percent, Hawk?

Great . Message boards are probably more for opinions than they are agreements

I'll take .1

I'm as mellow as a bye week....I apologize for upsetting my message board brothers with this radical, controversial thought

Nothing is upsetting about it. It's just one of those "Did you think this out before you posted it?" threads.  If you really want me to take the time to prove why this stance is silly and wrong I can, but I really don't think I have to you take 1 minute to think how flawed that idea is. There's countless amount of situations where you can say not all interceptions are on the QB.

I get one tenth of one percent, Hawk?

Great . Message boards are probably more for opinions than they are agreements

I'll take .1

Seeing as how so far that it's only you with this stance (so far) and how nobody else has agreed with you (so far) .1% is fair :D

Its not a stance..Hawk

QB ratings depend on interceptions.all of them ....no mater who's fault

same with QB-to-TD ratios.

Reasons for the intrcptuions are NOT factored in, Never have been.

So all interceptions..are statistically on the QB

Ive heard no one address that. I think you agree with that

Probably because those are just facts...not my opinion........

Yes, QBs are given credit for wins and blame for losses.  The same goes for interceptions.

I don't think anyone is denying that.

But, as you just said, "no matter who's fault" . . . which is basically all anyone has been saying in that all interceptions are not the fault of the QB.

So, I don't understand what the problem is. 

But they all quote QB ratings..without specifying which picks were the QBs 'fault'..so you actually agree, unless you've never quoted a interception-to-TD ratio...or a QB ratingSee what I mean?

Just stop already. You are either very bored and are being argumentative for kicks or you don't have a lick of sense.