Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Luck is a top of his class

GoColts8818

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-film-review-andrew-luck-second-touchdown-014503310--nfl.html

I hadn't seen this posted yet and that was the title of the article when I went yahoo.com.  Enjoy

At least Phil Simms had the class to say he made a mistake. I remember like yesterday reading this from Cosell. He did say after season's end that Luck might be the most talented QB in the league. But here was his pre draft RG3 -Luck comparison

Cosell deems RG3 a “superior arm talent and natural passer” to Luck
Posted by Evan Silva on March 24, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
robert-griffin-iii-pic2.jpg?w=160AP

ESPN’s Merril Hoge caused a stir last week when headvised the Colts to draft Baylor’s Robert Griffin IIIover Stanford’s Andrew Luck with the first pick in the draft.

NFL Films’ Greg Cosell, perhaps the most prolific game-tape watcher of the sport today, indicated in a recent comparative essay that he doesn’t disagree with Hoge.

Cosell says he watched five tapes of each player. As Hoge also acknowledged, Cosell entered the film sessions with the impression that Luck “was the most NFL-ready quarterback to come out since Peyton Manning.”

By the end of his film work, however, Cosell concluded that Griffin is “a superior arm talent and natural passer” to Luck.

“Luck was not a special passer based on film study,” wrote Cosell. “He is not the same kind of arm talent as Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton. … Luck was an economical player who was at his best as a timing and rhythm, short to intermediate passer.”

Cosell did credit Luck for his masterful ability to call plays and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, calling it an “essential attribute as [Luck] transitions to the NFL.”

Based strictly on game tape, however, RG3 was the more remarkable quarterback.

“What immediately jumped out was his arm strength,” Cosell wrote. “… Griffin, for a power thrower, was consistently accurate. The better term for accuracy is ball location. That’s what allows receivers to run after the catch. Griffin excelled in that area.”

Cosell went on to praise Griffin’s “composure in the pocket” as better than Luck’s, as well as RG3′s ability to throw from different arm angles while maintaining consistent accuracy. Cosell suggested that Griffin, despite playing in Baylor’s spread scheme, was less of a system quarterback than Luck, who was “managed and manipulated by his offense.”

So maybe the Colts do have a decision to make at No. 1 overall.

Or maybe the Redskins are getting the best quarterback in the draft.

Then a year later , Cosell has this to say.... Changes his mind.. which is OK....

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell emphasized on the Fantasy Guru's Post-Draft Review podcast that Luck  "absolutely" could approach 30 touchdown passes this season as long as new coordinator Pep Hamilton doesn't change the entire offense.

"We're talking about, in my view, arguably the most physically gifted quarterback in the league," Cosell added. "Andrew Luck is going to have a big year."

Cosell might get an argument fromAaron Rodgers or Robert Griffin IIIboosters, but it's certainly not an outlandish sentiment.

When I went back and watchedIndianapolis Colts tape in March, it was immediately evident that Luck'spass protection was a joke last season. While read-option quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III hogged the late-season spotlight, Luck's unbelievable pocket presence, movement and toughness went under-appreciated. He's essentially Peyton Manning before the snap and Ben Roethlisberger after the snap.

Luck's protection should be much improved with the addition of veterans Gosder Cherilus andDonald Thomas as well as rookies Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes. His weapons should be better, too, with a healthy Coby Fleener and an upgrade on Donnie Avery in Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Luck will be in the MVP conversation sooner rather than later.

I think Luck and Wilson will separate themselves from the pack as more years go by but overall they are all fun to watch especially when they go head to head.

The perception is that Luck and Wilson spend more time in film work and prep while the other 2 rely mostly on pure talent. Who knows if it's true but I doubt anybody except Peyton studies harder than those 2.

The perception is that Luck and Wilson spend more time in film work and prep while the other 2 rely mostly on pure talent. Who knows if it's true but I doubt anybody except Peyton studies harder than those 2.

Dont know and I try not to make statements claiming I know how hard one player works over another unless I get the feeling one guy just dont study at all because he is repeatedly whipped on the same move when its obvious to anyone that watches film that X player uses this move a ton. But its harder to decipher X player studies harder then Y player especally when your referring to Andrew Luck and Wilson and Manning . Im sure the other two do more studying then we realize

RG 3 has been abused by the coaches and system he has been in  but that being said durability and ability to absorb NFL punishment to your body is hard to evaluate and predict but by that factor I think Luck and Wilson are light years ahead of their peers.

I don't know if he was abused he was doing the things that made him the second pick in the draft last year.  I will agree he shouldn't have been out there when he wasn't healthy so if that's what you are talking about when you say he was abused then I agree but the whole running thing is why RG3 went number two over all.  If they made him do it another way it would be liked drafting Dwight Freeney and telling him now we want you to be a run stuffer and not rush the passer. 

Luck and Wilson will separate themselves from all the young QB's (Newton, Kaep, Wilson, Dalton, Tannehill, Weeden, etc.)

They are already ahead if you ask me and will have more career success

You're telling me Wilson will separate himself from Wilson? :P I don't know why everyone is discounting Tannehill and Newton though. Newton is 1-3 right now but he is still second place in his division somehow and he had two solid first years, one of them record-breaking.

Luck and Wilson will separate themselves from all the young QB's (Newton, Kaep, Wilson, Dalton, Tannehill, Weeden, etc.)

They are already ahead if you ask me and will have more career success

I wouldn't dismiss Tannehill.....I like him over Wilson long term.

You're telling me Wilson will separate himself from Wilson? :P I don't know why everyone is discounting Tannehill and Newton though. Newton is 1-3 right now but he is still second place in his division somehow and he had two solid first years, one of them record-breaking.

Oh yeah lol. I kind of crossed my words there. And I have been a believer in Newton, but maybe he just doesn't have the best talent around him right now..

And Tannehill has improved quite a bit this year, just has to work on having a quicker release in the pocket. I think he will be a good QB as well, but now on the level of Wilson or Luck

I wouldn't dismiss Tannehill.....I like him over Wilson long term.

If they keep improving down in Miami then maybe, but I think Luck and WIlson will remain at the top.. Tannehill does have little experience at QB and has showed quite a bit of improvement, but give me Wilson

Oh yeah lol. I kind of crossed my words there. And I have been a believer in Newton, but maybe he just doesn't have the best talent around him right now..

And Tannehill has improved quite a bit this year, just has to work on having a quicker release in the pocket. I think he will be a good QB as well, but now on the level of Wilson or Luck

Luck, Wilson and I do believe Tannehill will separate themselves from the rest. I am not sure about Kaep yet. Too inconsistent at the moment. Newton pouts too much when things go wrong. If he can grow up and be accountable he may be able to establish himself as a good QB. Until then he will flounder. RG has to prove that he can play from the pocket the majority of the time. He needs to prove that he can be a legit QB when he does not have a front line and does not have a running game to bail him out, when he can’t use the gimmicks that gave him his great numbers before I will believe that he will be a consistent winner.

It might sound obvious so apologies if I'm preaching to the choir but you can spend as much time in the film room as you want but if you can't understand what your looking at it's not going to help much. This is what seperates the top end QBs and why Manning is so vaunted. Thankfully I think Luck is cast in the same mould in his innate and obsessive study of the game.

Like any form of study you can have people coach you up but when it comes to exam time your out there on your own.

Without wanting to paint to many broad strokes it's easy at times to spot the QBs who rely on their natural physical talents a bit too much and don't appreciate what's needed on the mental side.

Back on topic I think Luck and Wilson have seperated themselves currently but I can see Tannehill getting put up there sooner or later.