Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raymond Berry

atapcl

Craig Kelley has an interesting column on Raymond Berry on colts.com. Berry's #82 is retired but I found it interesting that he did not really want that number. He wanted #87 which ended up being Willie Richardson's number and now Reggie Wayne. Berry said Colts just issued 82 to him as a rookie.

On a side note it is also interesting that no one wears #88 now. Wonder if we are holding it to see if Marvin makes it to the HOF. John Mackey also wore #88 but it was given to Marvin even though Mackey was voted the best TE in the first 50 years of the NFL. No Colts player jersey has been retired since the move to Indy but I assume Manning's jersey will be one if not Marvin.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Craig Kelley has an interesting column on Raymond Berry on colts.com. Berry's #82 is retired but I found it interesting that he did not really want that number. He wanted #87 which ended up being Willie Richardson's number and now Reggie Wayne. Berry said Colts just issued 82 to him as a rookie.

On a side note it is also interesting that no one wears #88 now. Wonder if we are holding it to see if Marvin makes it to the HOF. John Mackey also wore #88 but it was given to Marvin even though Mackey was voted the best TE in the first 50 years of the NFL. No Colts player jersey has been retired since the move to Indy but I assume Manning's jersey will be one if not Marvin.

I thought 18 was retired...88 should be retired for both Mackey and Marvin.

Who is Raymond Berry?

I saw Raymond Berry play. He was small, he couldn't run and he couldn't jump but, oh what a set of hands. It was like he had fly paper on them. If he touched it, he reeled it in. It was a different era and he put up some big numbers for the time.

Edited by Superman

Who is Raymond Berry?

I had forgotten that Berry was also the coach of the New England Patriots in 1985 when they had the misfortune of meeting the Bears in the Super Bowl. That Patriot team was the first wild card team to win three road games to get to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Superman

I thought 18 was retired...88 should be retired for both Mackey and Marvin.

From this http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827709b9/article/colts-peyton-manning-say-goodbye-irsay-team-to-retire-no-18,I think the intention is to do it but it has not been done formerly yet. For all practical purposes 18 probably will not be worn by anybody else.

Guest TeamLoloJones

From this http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827709b9/article/colts-peyton-manning-say-goodbye-irsay-team-to-retire-no-18,I think the intention is to do it but it has not been done formerly yet. For all practical purposes 18 probably will not be worn by anybody else.

As far as I'm concerned no one else in the NFL should be allowed to wear 18... it should be unanimously retired.

reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison to Johnny U.

He knows who he is. He just dislikes anything that has a Baltimore taint. Since the old Baltimore Colt players are in the Ravens Ring of Honor , I don't think Indy has any obligation to hold those numbers out to current players. They could if they wanted to , but I think the precedent has already been set for issuing old Baltimore Colt numbers to current players.

He knows who he is. He just dislikes anything that has a Baltimore taint. Since the old Baltimore Colt players are in the Ravens Ring of Honor , I don't think Indy has any obligation to hold those numbers out to current players. They could if they wanted to , but I think the precedent has already been set for issuing old Baltimore Colt numbers to current players.

the colts retired those numbers just because they changed cities doesn't mean they unretired the numbers. You should really get a copy of 100 things colts fans should know and do before they die. I don't mean that in a bad way either. It's very a good Colts book that any Colts fan would like and has some really good stuff in there about the Baltimore days as well. I think it will also show you what many of us have tried telling you that some ex Baltimore Colts see them selves as ex Colts regardless of what city they are in. There is nothing wrong with Baltimore honoring former greats that played in their city and there is nothing wrong with the Colts honoring ex greats that played for them. Both have equal rights to celebrate it.

Retire 18 in honor of Kyle Ortan. No... there should not be a league wide retirement of any number.

i think in order for that you have to do something like Jackie Robinson did for baseball where he truly impacted the whole sport. I love Peyton and while he had a major impact on football he didn't have that major of an impact on it. I think Peyton would be the first to say that too.

the colts retired those numbers just because they changed cities doesn't mean they unretired the numbers. You should really get a copy of 100 things colts fans should know and do before they die. I don't mean that in a bad way either. It's very a good Colts book that any Colts fan would like and has some really good stuff in there about the Baltimore days as well. I think it will also show you what many of us have tried telling you that some ex Baltimore Colts see them selves as ex Colts regardless of what city they are in. There is nothing wrong with Baltimore honoring former greats that played in their city and there is nothing wrong with the Colts honoring ex greats that played for them. Both have equal rights to celebrate it.

I have no problem with that or reading the Colts article. I'm just confused why they gave Marvin Harrison # 88 if it was retired by John Mackey? Also , are there any other Baltimore Colt retired numbers that were issued to current players ? Just curious.

I have no problem with that or reading the Colts article. I'm just confused why they gave Marvin Harrison # 88 if it was retired by John Mackey? Also , are there any other Baltimore Colt retired numbers that were issued to current players ? Just curious.

it wasn't retired you can argue it should have been and you are probably right. Personally I think they should bring in Mackey's family and Marvin and retire it for both men.

it wasn't retired you can argue it should have been and you are probably right. Personally I think they should bring in Mackey's family and Marvin and retire it for both men.

I think the other old Baltimore Colts numbers are retired , except for Mackey. In some strange twist in 2011, the Colts issued a #19 jersey to some journeyman wide receiver named Kole Heckendorf. I am sure Irsay didn't like Unitas not embracing Indy , but Heckendorf ! At least Harrison wore # 88 well.

I think the other old Baltimore Colts numbers are retired , except for Mackey. In some strange twist in 2011, the Colts issued a #19 jersey to some journeyman wide receiver named Kole Heckendorf. I am sure Irsay didn't like Unitas not embracing Indy , but Heckendorf ! At least Harrison wore # 88 well.

all numbers retired in Baltimore are still retired by the Colts that's the thing Mackey's 88 never was. It should have been but just wasn't.

Here is a list of who has numbers retired

http://www.nflteamhistory.com/nfl_teams/indianapolis_colts/retired_numbers.html

Plus 18 unofficially at this point from Irsay who is probably waiting for Manning to retire to do it right.

Guest TeamLoloJones

all numbers retired in Baltimore are still retired by the Colts that's the thing Mackey's 88 never was. It should have been but just wasn't.

Plus 18 unofficially at this point from Irsay who is probably waiting for Manning to retire to do it right.

Am I the only one who thinks #4 should be retired when the time comes?...

Seriously , if I were you guys , I would have a Peyton Manning statue and plaza at Lucas Oil Stadium, besides retiring his number, after he retires. The guy is amazing, especially the show he's still putting on in Denver. We are tired of seeing him in Baltimore because he kills us, but rest assured he is well respected. The seven touchdowns were mind blowing.

Am I the only one who thinks #4 should be retired when the time comes?...

for Harbaugh or AV? Personally I think that's what the ring of honor is for in Harbaugh's case he was great long enough for the Colts to have his number retired IMO. As for Adam I just don't think he's done enough as a Colt to get that honor. I like him and think he helped us win a Super Bowl but retired numbers is for the truly all time franchise greats. I mean the Colts have had Hall of Famers and not retired their numbers. Heck as I was just talking about with old crow they haven't retired 88 yet and have now had two chances to do so and both those men deserve it more than Adam IMO.

The two that are on the Ravens Ring of Honor but missing from indy retired numbers are John Mackey and Ted Hendricks. Also notably absent from both are Don Shula and Weeb Eubank.

Seriously , if I were you guys , I would have a Peyton Manning statue and plaza at Lucas Oil Stadium, besides retiring his number, after he retires. The guy is amazing, especially the show he's still putting on in Denver. We are tired of seeing him in Baltimore because he kills us, but rest assured he is well respected. The seven touchdowns were mind blowing.

i think they will. I just think they are waiting for him to be done playing so he can be apart of all this stuff honoring him. I am sure once he's done playing he will be honored several times over and deservedly so.

Guest TeamLoloJones

for Harbaugh or AV? Personally I think that's what the ring of honor is for in Harbaugh's case he was great long enough for the Colts to have his number retired IMO. As for Adam I just don't think he's done enough as a Colt to get that honor. I like him and think helped us win a Super Bowl but to retired numbers is for the truly all time franchise greats. I mean the Colts have had Hall of Famers and not retired their numbers. Heck as I was just talking about with old crow they haven't retired 88 yet and have now had two chances to do so and both those men deserve it more than Adam IMO.

I think AV will go down as the greatest kicker of all time...and to me that warrants a retired number.  Plus we don't need to have all the single digit numbers, since only kickers, punters, and qbs can wear them.

for Harbaugh or AV? Personally I think that's what the ring of honor is for in Harbaugh's case he was great long enough for the Colts to have his number retired IMO. As for Adam I just don't think he's done enough as a Colt to get that honor. I like him and think he helped us win a Super Bowl but to retired numbers is for the truly all time franchise greats. I mean the Colts have had Hall of Famers and not retired their numbers. Heck as I was just talking about with old crow they haven't retired 88 yet and have now had two chances to do so and both those men deserve it more than Adam IMO.

I would put Jim Harbaugh in your ring. I think John will one day be in the Ravens ring, and you just can't have enough Harbaughs in your stadium. You even have the fact that he groomed Luck for you at Stanford as an added reason