Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener Out With Concusion

McGrit

I was at practice wednesday and a few of us fans stayed over late and got the priveledge to talk to one of the Colts staff (not a trainer or coach) but someone who works directly with the players and has for a few years now and I was told he didn't have a concussion at all, I'd expect he will be playing sunday

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So did he have a concussion or not?

He stayed in the game....missed 1 day of practice.....and is now cleared less than 5 days later....what's going on here?

If he had a concussion it was the most minor concussion one can have.  If what Gavin is saying is true then it sounds like he wasn't concussed at all.  Looking at the information available, it points more towards him not having one at all.  So the real question then was why he missed that practice at all and why the coaching staff still acts like he had a concussion. It wouldn't be the first time  a team made up an injury.  Remember when they said Collins was concussed a few years ago when in reality he just wanted to retire again?

If he had a concussion it was the most minor concussion one can have.  If what Gavin is saying is true then it sounds like he wasn't concussed at all.  Looking at the information available, it points more towards him not having one at all.  So the real question then was why he missed that practice at all and why the coaching staff still acts like he had a concussion. It wouldn't be the first time  a team made up an injury.  Remember when they said Collins was concussed a few years ago when in reality he just wanted to retire again?

I think it's far more likely that he had concussion-like symptoms that were first diagnosed as a mild concussion, but tests wound up showing that he did get rattled, but it wasn't an actual concussion.  I don't see any reason why they would make up a concussion.

As for Collins...as I recall he did suffer the concussion.  What everyone questioned was why they put him on IR that early in the season just for a concussion.  He was clearly done and ready to re-retire and had no desire to come back, so that's why they put him on IR.  But I don't recall there ever being any question that he did actually suffer a concussion.

I always took that as it was clear Collins wasn't the answer and when Painter came in and did better than he did (remember we nearly won the Steelers game when Painter came in) that Polian did him the favor of putting him on IR rather than embarrassing him by either releasing him or having him be the back up to Painter.  So I took it as Polian doing a favor for a guy who probably did a favor for the guy who drafted him in coming out of retirement in the first place.  It also freed up a roster spot to get Orlovsky as once Collins went down Painter was really our only QB on the roster at that point.  So they might have simply done it because they didn't want to IR Manning and they couldn't play games with just one QB on the roster who could play. 

I think it's far more likely that he had concussion-like symptoms that were first diagnosed as a mild concussion, but tests wound up showing that he did get rattled, but it wasn't an actual concussion.  I don't see any reason why they would make up a concussion.

As for Collins...as I recall he did suffer the concussion.  What everyone questioned was why they put him on IR that early in the season just for a concussion.  He was clearly done and ready to re-retire and had no desire to come back, so that's why they put him on IR.  But I don't recall there ever being any question that he did actually suffer a concussion.

One obvious reason...A built in excuse for his fumble and then his drop, From what that staff member (a staff member that works directly with every player but is not a coach). From what I gather from what that staff member said Coby has been taking things such as his drops fairly hard  

One obvious reason...A built in excuse for his fumble and then his drop, From what that staff member (a staff member that works directly with every player but is not a coach). From what I gather from what that staff member said Coby has been taking things such as his drops fairly hard

So you're saying they told Coby he had a concussion to make him feel better about the fumble and missed TD?

I was at practice wednesday and a few of us fans stayed over late and got the priveledge to talk to one of the Colts staff (not a trainer or coach) but someone who works directly with the players and has for a few years now and I was told he didn't have a concussion at all, I'd expect he will be playing sunday

Is that what they call hearsay? That's not acceptable in this courtroom.

Collins being put on IR really had nothing to do with an injury. They wanted him gone and also wanted his roster spot. He was going to get paid anyway.

So this employee risk his job talking to you about a medical condition?  OK? :?:   Not only could he lose his job he could be charged with a crime since releasing medical information without written permission is against the law. I find that odd.  :whatever:

Collins being put on IR really had nothing to do with an injury. They wanted him gone and also wanted his roster spot. He was going to get paid anyway.

That's what i was saying.  It was made up.  I remember the STAR reporting that a source told them he didn't have concussion symptoms at all and he even gave the Colts a financial break to lie for him and act like he was concussed when in reality he just wanted to retire.

Is that what they call hearsay? That's not acceptable in this courtroom.

I find it odd you singled me out twice over 1 post, But no telling someone that a player did not have a concussion is not a crime...Handing over documents of a persons medical records is.....Big difference

So you're saying they told Coby he had a concussion to make him feel better about the fumble and missed TD?

That really dont make much sense the way you worded it, you cant tell a player he had a concussion to make a player feel better...But YOU CAN tell the media outlets/sources/powers that be/whatever that so and so had a concussion and that was the reason for his drops early on.....Dont you find it odd that they would continue to play a player after that hit (which I think rattled him but did not concuss him...He clearly however did fall straight down on his forehead) and then come out and say he had a concussion or concussion like symptoms? Many coaches will protect there players especially the players with the most promising talent for a while who have not broken out yet

Dont you find it odd that they would continue to play a player after that hit (which I think rattled him but did not concuss him...He clearly however did fall straight down on his forehead) and then come out and say he had a concussion or concussion like symptoms? Many coaches will protect there players especially the players with the most promising talent for a while who have not broken out yet

No I don't find it odd personally. My guess is that they didn't diagnose him until later on in the game. It's not like they just check for concussions after every series for every player. If he didn't say anything at first then they would have no reason to check him.

No I don't find it odd personally. My guess is that they didn't diagnose him until later on in the game. It's not like they just check for concussions after every series for every player. If he didn't say anything at first then they would have no reason to check him.

Im tellin ya what this staff member told me, whether he new for a fact or not is debatable but thats what he told me, and he deals directly with the players

I guess others have had the same thoughts when I saw this-- definitely has shades of Austin Collie to it. Really hope we don't have another promising player whose career gets derailed because of concussions. Here's to hoping he recovers soon.

The two aren't really comparable

I find it odd you singled me out twice over 1 post, But no telling someone that a player did not have a concussion is not a crime...Handing over documents of a persons medical records is.....Big difference

Discussing a medical condition with an unauthorised person is a crime no matter what you think. The HIPAA Privacy Rule states that no information can be given without the patients authorization. Rule CFR part 160 and subparts A and E of part 164. The only exception is clergy. So if the person you talked to did not have an authorization from Fleener he or she can't discuss anything about a medical condition to anyone outside of the professional field. As far as the second comment made to you it was an afterthought on your post. If this person you spoke to was not even in the medical field as you say they had no business discussing a fact or rumor concerning Fleener and anything concerning his medical condition. That's where my hearsay comment came into play. I hope the Colts don't get a heads up on a staff member discussing Fleener with an outside person because it quite possibly cost them their job.

If i remember correctly, he did post game interviews and looked perfectly fine.  If he ever was diagnosed, it wasn't anytime during the game.

Discussing a medical condition with an unauthorised person is a crime no matter what you think. The HIPAA Privacy Rule states that no information can be given without the patients authorization. Rule CFR part 160 and subparts A and E of part 164. The only exception is clergy. So if the person you talked to did not have an authorization from Fleener he or she can't discuss anything about a medical condition to anyone outside of the professional field. As far as the second comment made to you it was an afterthought on your post. If this person you spoke to was not even in the medical field as you say they had no business discussing a fact or rumor concerning Fleener and anything concerning his medical condition. That's where my hearsay comment came into play. I hope the Colts don't get a heads up on a staff member discussing Fleener with an outside person because it quite possibly cost them their job.

There is a difference in word of mouth and documentation, Its a given that people in the nursing field (using that as an example) will upon occasion come home from a long day and in a conversation pertaining to there job will bring up oh so and so had this or that happen to them or has such and such medical condition, I have a family member who spent close to 20 years in the nursing field, The difference is documents. How do you think the media finds out about injuries to players? They dont look at the documents .....word of mouth. But anyway, as I said, I dont know if its a fact he knows or is just giving an opinion. But I do know Im not so starved for attention to make this up lol

There is a difference in word of mouth and documentation, Its a given that people in the nursing field (using that as an example) will upon occasion come home from a long day and in a conversation pertaining to there job will bring up oh so and so had this or that happen to them or has such and such medical condition, I have a family member who spent close to 20 years in the nursing field, The difference is documents. How do you think the media finds out about injuries to players? They dont look at the documents .....word of mouth. But anyway, as I said, I dont know if its a fact he knows or is just giving an opinion. But I do know Im not so starved for attention to make this up lol

I wasn't suggesting you made anything up. It was just an observation on my part. Peace.

I've always believed Fleener had a lot of untapped potential, but he is trying his hardest to make me change my mind lol.

No, he has a TON of potential.  But at this point he shows no signs of ever reaching it.

He gets open, then he drops the ball.  On other plays it appears he is too busy thinking then he is playing.  I don't think mental toughness is a strength of his as he often totally disappears after a bad play.

He better get with it though. He's supposed to be a big part of this new offense. I could be wrong but i think he was only targeted one time after that drop early on. And that one hit him in the head because he wasn't looking.

If this dude's name ever hits the "facebook"   /  "social media world" ..  he will be fired.

One's medical issues are between U and the doctor / staff.       U have to sign a release for an interested 3rd party to get them.

I would not deal with this clown ever.

Im tellin ya what this staff member told me, whether he new for a fact or not is debatable but thats what he told me, and he deals directly with the players

Maybe some of the people who shredded Arian's last year and blamed him for Fleener's lack of production will change their mind. Perhaps there is a reason that Fleener was not heavily involved. Maybe he just can't make big boy plays. Nothing we have seen in real games really indicates he can do it with any consistency.  But this year they are counting on him to make plays in this offense so for the Colts sake i really hope he starts to figure it out. Oh yeah, he has a knee sprain now too.  So another injury for him.

He didn't look scared, he just dropped the ball on the first one, and didn't even see the second one coming.

Man,  am really tiring of his drops.  

He'll snap out of it... 

Fleener looked scared. Bad sign his head was not there tonight.Hurry up D. Allen.

Name one person who blamed BA on Coby Fleener's drop issues?   Or lack of production?

Fleener played, a lot..    he got hurt and he dropped too many passes.   But he was targeted PLENTY.

Maybe some of the people who shredded Arian's last year and blamed him for Fleener's lack of production will change their mind. Perhaps there is a reason that Fleener was not heavily involved. Maybe he just can't make big boy plays. Nothing we have seen in real games really indicates he can do it with any consistency.  But this year they are counting on him to make plays in this offense so for the Colts sake i really hope he starts to figure it out. Oh yeah, he has a knee sprain now too.  So another injury for him.

Name one person who blamed BA on Coby Fleener's drop issues?

I could name you 20, but i wont because it may be against board rules to call people out by name.

You won't have to look very hard in the other Fleener thread though to find one if you care to look.