Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Caldwell the right guy for the job?

DukieBabe

Lets see in first season he akes the Colts to the SB

Lets see in second season with a high number of key injuries to key positions he gets the Colts to the playoffs

Lets see in third season with out Peyton he has kept the team in tact and even though they are 0-4 have only had 1 bad blowout.

Yes Caldwell can coach, I doubt any other person would have had any better of a record then Caldwell given the same things to work with.

There is as difference between "taking" a team to the playoffs and SB and "riding" a team to the playoffs and SB. Caldwell is just along for the ride.

How many teams lose their Starting QB and win? NE got lucky, and even then they didn't make the playoffs. Exactly "how" should the Colts' mag't team prepared this franchise for play without Peyton Manning with the present CBA and the contracts other Colt key players have?

NE is not a good example for your argument as they went 11-5 without Brady even though they didn't make the playoffs. We're not even talking about playoffs without Manning. I think everyone realized that without Manning were are a 3 win team at best. With a decent coach even without Manning could maybe pull out 5 or 6 wins. With Caldwell minus Manning we may not even win 1 game.

How many teams lose their Starting QB and win? NE got lucky, and even then they didn't make the playoffs. Exactly "how" should the Colts' mag't team prepared this franchise for play without Peyton Manning with the present CBA and the contracts other Colt key players have?

please wake up this guy is the worst nfl coach, period. not one other team would hire him if all 32 jobs opened tomorrow. dn sorry to say you seem to be the tree that falls in the woods.

I dont think Caldwell is to blame. I think is the Coordinators. Our Offensive coordinator is out with a neck injury. and our defensive coordinator might as weel wright the name of the play down on a dry erase board with the play drawing and hold it up so the opposing offense doesnt have to work a little bit to pick our routine Tampa 2 apart. Manning didnt cover up ay weaknesses, he knows his team. he knows what the recievers think. He knows what the defense acroos from him is going to do. and he tore their ideas to pieces, wadded them up, and hurlsed them for 60 yrds to reggie in the endzone. The ability to do this stunned the other team time and time again managing to pressure the opposing offense to rush and make mistakes and show fear.

I didn't like the Caldwell choice to begin with. I gave him a chance but after a while, I knew it was Peyton running the team and not Caldwell. After that, I wanted him gone. We need a stand up coach who will bring attitude to this team. Attitude does not mean a smash mouth talking Rex Ryan type, but someone who take risks, gets his team's morale up (Tony Dungy was able to do it without yelling so we don't need one of those rowdy types), etc.

I dont think Caldwell is to blame. I think is the Coordinators. Our Offensive coordinator is out with a neck injury. and our defensive coordinator might as weel wright the name of the play down on a dry erase board with the play drawing and hold it up so the opposing offense doesnt have to work a little bit to pick our routine Tampa 2 apart. Manning didnt cover up ay weaknesses, he knows his team. he knows what the recievers think. He knows what the defense acroos from him is going to do. and he tore their ideas to pieces, wadded them up, and hurlsed them for 60 yrds to reggie in the endzone. The ability to do this stunned the other team time and time again managing to pressure the opposing offense to rush and make mistakes and show fear.

caldwell said he is going to make some adjustments, he sees things that are correctable

caldwell said after seeing painters performance he will decide who should start against the chiefs collins or painter but he was leaning to collins.... ok painter got two TD's after one week of practicing with teh starters. collins cant get one when it counts. but caldwell keeps saying hes starting. caldwell is a bad coach, coyer is a bad coach i mean coyer had the linebackers back off 15-20 yards leaving a huge space for recievers to catch the ball for a first down on monday. after the third time a smart coach would have told angerer to just stay put while the others dropped back. so yeah i think this team needs a major overhaul at coaching.

I really knew it before the Super Bowl against New Orleans. Cladwell is not a good coach. Then the Super Bowl just really proved it. But, you can't fire a coach whose team just went to the Super Bowl. IMO, Sean Payton coached the pants off of Caldwell, and that was the difference in that game. We can point to a few plays, but I just felt like Payton knew how to beat the Colts while Caldwell only knew "what we do."

Since then, it's been worse and worse. I don't understand how fans can toe the company line, wear the Blue & White glasses, and drink the Kool Aid, yet continue to make excuses for Caldwell when one of the team's biggest lines is "No excuses." C'mon people, it's a double standard. Stop excusing Caldwell with injuries because we expect the players to step up, so why not the coach?

As much as I'm hoping that this miserable season turns into great draft picks and a solid future, the most important thing to come out of this will be the coaching staff overhaul. I know we're all a little discouraged by Polian's recent drafts, but the guy knows football, and has fired his share of coaches in his career. A terrible record, despite Manning's absence, will still be enough excuse for Polian to can Caldwell.

Why don't we get serious as a fanbase and start taking "FIRE THE COACH" signs to the games?

And while I don't think a yelling and screaming coach is necessary, I do think it'd be a nice match for Peyton's last few years. How many times have we seen Peyton try to wave the punt team off the field, only to be denied by our conservative coaching staffs over the years? Tell me that a guy like Cowher, who would be sure to install a serious running game, wouldn't go for one of those 4th-and-inches at the 40 yard line situations? I'd love to see a coach that could match Peyton's intensity.

caldwell said he is going to make some adjustments, he sees things that are correctable

It still all comes down to the head coach. If his coordinators aren't doing the job, which they haven't this season, don't keep saying it's correctable and do nothing. Let's be honest. Some coaches just can't handle the responsibilities of being a head coach. As long as we're winning the majority of the games no problem. When the wheels come off is when you measure the true ability of a coach.

Bottom line: The coordinators answer to Caldwell. We're 0-4 and he's done nothing to change that. Now he's leaning towards Collins as the starter for the next game.

I'm sorry "amff" but this is one fan who's not going to drink the grape koolaid.

Nope, I do not believe that he is the guy for the job. I think the "3m's" Mudd, Moore, and Manning were a HUGE reason this team was successful the last 7-8 years. IMO Dungy had very little to do with it, and Caldwell has far less than he did. IMO he go the job handed to him for a few reasons - none of which were football related. It was a bad decision and now they are stuck with it as I do not see them making a change - they hate looking like they were wrong about something!

Not a fan of Caldwell....I feel like he's the puppet of Irsay and Polian....I haven't seen him make any right decisions that assure me he's the man for the job....Such as, calling unnecessary timeouts during the Jacksonsville and Jets game last season or, my personal favorite......Not driving the ball down the field before the 2nd half of Super Bowl 44 to put points on the board, and believing Matt Stover could have kicked a 51 yard field goal which he missed...

He also shows no emotions and has this cyptic approach to comments. Just say what's up and get emotionally for once.....

You're a coach for one of the elite teams in the NFL....Act like it