Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

d clark

CantBeStopped

They were desperate given the injuries they've faced. I wonder if this will be enough to keep Flacco's playoff streak alive. Or have a winning season for that matter.

You just have to keep making moves like getting Corey Graham when Ladarius Webb went down last year at corner. I know Clark and Stokely's best years are behind them, but you're only hoping to get a year out of these guys. There are many young, unproven players also in the mix and receiver or tight end, but it's good to have that veteran ready in case those younger guys are not ready, or not good enough to fill the hole. I know that signing Boldin doesn't look good on paper, and trust me , I'm sorry to see him go, but they probably signed four players for what they would have paid Anquan. As we all know, you can't keep everybody, especially off a Super Bowl year when everyone wants and deserves to get paid. 

You just have to keep making moves like getting Corey Graham when Ladarius Webb went down last year at corner. I know Clark and Stokely's best years are behind them, but you're only hoping to get a year out of these guys. There are many young, unproven players also in the mix and receiver or tight end, but it's good to have that veteran ready in case those younger guys are not ready, or not good enough to fill the hole. I know that signing Boldin doesn't look good on paper, and trust me , I'm sorry to see him go, but they probably signed four players for what they would have paid Anquan. As we all know, you can't keep everybody, especially off a Super Bowl year when everyone wants and deserves to get paid. 

Yeah, you're right, and the money went to the guy that deserved it most, the one who grinded and wilded out in the postseason. Can't pay everyone in the salary cap age. It's just that we've never seen a team have this much turnover after winning the big one. I think the Ravens could either respond and play very well proving that they are resilient or end up going in the opposite direction. I think a middle ground between the two could get them in the postseason again, though the Bengals are on the rise and the Steelers are looking to be competitive again this year I think.

Yeah, you're right, and the money went to the guy that deserved it most, the one who grinded and wilded out in the postseason. Can't pay everyone in the salary cap age. It's just that we've never seen a team have this much turnover after winning the big one. I think the Ravens could either respond and play very well proving that they are resilient or end up going in the opposite direction. I think a middle ground between the two could get them in the postseason again, though the Bengals are on the rise and the Steelers are looking to be competitive again this year I think.

Obviously there are many question marks still. I think Ozzie Newsome went back to what the Ravens did in 2001 after they had won the 2000 Super Bowl. They resigned almost all of their high priced veterans, and did make the playoffs in 2001, but then had to have a forced salary cap purge in 2002, when they plummeted to 7-9. They rebounded in 2003 to 10-6, but then fell to 6-10 in 2004. Not the kind of consistent playoff football you want. Ozzie stated this was on his mind, even before the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and he did not want to repeat what had happened in the earlier years after Super Bowl 35. He decided to be proactive in trimming higher priced veterans, for right player/right price- type replacements. This could set the trend for NFL teams winning Super Bowls, or be second guessed if it fails. 

Hopefully flacco can get him the ball more than freeman did

They were desperate given the injuries they've faced. I wonder if this will be enough to keep Flacco's playoff streak alive. Or have a winning season for that matter.

I like the move.  Clark still has game and Flacco is a capable QB.

Flacco due to Pita is use to using TE's well, I am sure if Clark is open he will get the ball and plays will be designed g for him & stokley as needed 

their experience will also help divert opposing defenses forces from attention elsewhere at times

Obviously there are many question marks still. I think Ozzie Newsome went back to what the Ravens did in 2001 after they had won the 2000 Super Bowl. They resigned almost all of their high priced veterans, and did make the playoffs in 2001, but then had to have a forced salary cap purge in 2002, when they plummeted to 7-9. They rebounded in 2003 to 10-6, but then fell to 6-10 in 2004. Not the kind of consistent playoff football you want. Ozzie stated this was on his mind, even before the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and he did not want to repeat what had happened in the earlier years after Super Bowl 35. He decided to be proactive in trimming higher priced veterans, for right player/right price- type replacements. This could set the trend for NFL teams winning Super Bowls, or be second guessed if it fails. 

What this is the football version of Moneyball. The Oakland A's approach to building a team.

I am not sure if this sets the trend for teams that have won the Super Bowl as I believe the Ravens would have made most of these moves even if they did not win it all. It is more a page out of what teams like the Pats, Eagles and Steelers have done over the years. Know when to move on from an aging player even if he has some good years left in the tank for younger guys that you can get more of for the same price as the vet. Football is a war of attrition anyways so the more depth you have, the better your chance of winning especially late in the season.

I think EVERY team tries to identify the guys they MUST keep...the core..and direction they want going forward...let the one year wonders go...the aging go...but some teams simply do a better job than others. The Patriots have been the best although I think they made some mistakes themselves and teams like Pittsburg, Pats, Ravens, and Giants just do a better job than most. I don't think this is a special philosophy but rather better EXECUTION. Doing so has kept those few at the top longer and why they haven't had the ups and downs like others.....also...the biggest factor....QB play....no matter what...great QBs will keep you in contention and cover up tons of mistakes you may have made. Peyton kept the Colts in contention, Brady the Pats, Brees the Saints and so on....great qb play will cover up a lot of GM mistakes.

Related...this is a good move for Baltimore....a sure handed recieving TE will serve Flacco well....and I look for Ray Rice to get TONS of catches out of the backfield...much like how Brady will use his running backs....last couple years it was the TEs....now its the RB's...the league always evolves....spread them out....and dump it off now lol.