Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AP wants to break Smiths Rushing all time record in 2017, Jared Allen , 31, is aiming for Michael Strahan’s single-season sack record of 22.5.

bayone

AP has his eye now on Emmitt Smith’s NFL career rushing record.

He even has the year in mind: 2017.

-----------------------------------------------

Allen, 31, is aiming for Michael Strahan’s single-season sack record of 22.5. In 2011, Allen recorded 22 sacks. His half-sack deficit was every bit as crushing as Peterson coming up eight yards short of the 2,105-yard mark.

A huge factor in reaching their respective goals is being—and staying—healthy. Allen underwent multiple surgical procedures on his shoulder and knee in late January. He feels better now than he has in years, and that’s half the battle.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-30/adrian-peterson-rushing-record-jared-allen-sacks-record-emmitt-smith-strahan?modid=recommended_5_5

If anyone breaks the sack record..it will be J J Watt...he has a motor that just doesn't quit..

I think Peterson is the only back with an outside shot at getting Emmitt's record, especially since most teams are featuring a 2-back offense. But it could only happen like you said Barry, if he can stay healthy..I hope he does it, because I am big OU fan, and Peterson is one of the best backs I have ever seen, After what this kid went through in his early years, to become the person and player that he is, is really truly amazing.

If anyone breaks the sack record..it will be J J Watt...he has a motor that just doesn't quit..

I think Peterson is the only back with an outside shot at getting Emmitt's record, especially since most teams are featuring a 2-back offense. But it could only happen like you said Barry, if he can stay healthy..I hope he does it, because I am big OU fan, and Peterson is one of the best backs I have ever seen, After what this kid went through in his early years, to become the person and player that he is, is really truly amazing.

Ray

JJ watt in reality hardly played football in college, that is started later, showed raw potential that all new if kept on reaching towards it would be amazing as he truly is, he can still grow further and dominate even more

Peterson yes, is basically the featured back with sparingly  taken out for rests or some pass plays occasionally, no other team has a Peterson

this is what i hate about Adrian Peterson and why i will never back the guy. no player should be aiming for another players records IMO. they should be working and doing what they need to do to help the TEAM win not reach some personal goal to break records.

i didnt care for his attitude last year and it seems its spilling over into this year.

this is what i hate about Adrian Peterson and why i will never back the guy. no player should be aiming for another players records IMO. they should be working and doing what they need to do to help the TEAM win not reach some personal goal to break records.

i didnt care for his attitude last year and it seems its spilling over into this year.

Earlieer in off season he & teamates said theywere going to get record missed last year this year, changed tune aa bit aas this more realistic

He is constantly going on and on about how important the team is. Don't think he is a record-chasing guy, cause he's not at all...

Reporters have been asking him all off-season about the records and what he's got in sight, and I don't blame him for giving an honest, achievable answer. I really like him as a person; the work he put into returning is simply amazing and his MVP-season is even more incredible. I wasn't around to watch the great RBs, so to me, AD is the best I've ever seen, and I hope he gets to have a long career.

He is constantly going on and on about how important the team is. Don't think he is a record-chasing guy, cause he's not at all...

Reporters have been asking him all off-season about the records and what he's got in sight, and I don't blame him for giving an honest, achievable answer. I really like him as a person; the work he put into returning is simply amazing and his MVP-season is even more incredible. I wasn't around to watch the great RBs, so to me, AD is the best I've ever seen, and I hope he gets to have a long career.

ap is great Jim Brown best ever & could score TDs, AP doesnt do that much, he didnt have to run around guys and make them miss but could, he simply ran threw them as needed and at times carried them on his back, only a 14 game season and record lasted a long time

I do love AP however

You don't like the guy because he has personal goals?

Goals that, if he were to achieve, would directly benefit his team?

Odd.

I did a little math on this... 

AP is 9506 yards away from the record. He is 28 years old. 

He would need 6 seasons at 1584 yards or 7 seasons at 1358 yards. The problem is, he's a running back, one that likes to bruise and bash other players. I have never seen one of those running backs make it to the 34. It's actually rare to see ANY running back get to 34. Many end up retiring before then.

He has this going for him:

Emmitt Smith averaged 1223 yards a season during his 15 year career. 

Adrian Peterson averages 1474 yards a season during his 6 year career.

It's not impossible, but I think getting to 2500 is more realistic, but really realistic isn't the right word. He would need to average 156 yards a game. One off game and he is [insert offensive word that starts with F here]. AP could go down as one of the greatest RBs of all time, maybe the greatest when he calls it quits, but he's reaching for crazy goals.

As for Jared Allen...

That's a record that is much easier to break compared to the other ones. Each year for the last few seasons, there have been a few guys to challenge for that record, some in the same year. That record is definitely being broken in the next few years. At 31, Allen is still in his athletic prime (late 20s, early 30s for males), so it's definitely a possibility, especially considering the left tackles he faces in his division are all quite average at best. However, the problem is, this year he faced Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Jordan Gross, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Russell Okung and Andrew Whitworth, all top 10 left tackles (Gross is arguable, the others aren't). It won't happen this year, I'd be willing to bet on that, but it could definitely happen next year. 

i just think its bull, especially the way he went about it. stating his sole purpose was to break records and win MVP's. selfish if u ask me.

He said he would rather breaks record and win MVPs than win games? I find that hard to believe.

he stated his goal was to break the record and be MVP, never said for his team to win games. just what the man said.

i'll look for the interview he did with NFL Network.

I personally have no problem with AP publicly saying what 99% of players with clearly measured stats are already thinking to themselves. All anyone has to do is watch him play to know he's leaving it all out there to help his team win. 

It says a lot about that team that they were able to make the playoffs with Christian Ponder at the helm, who plays QB like there's an invisible forcefield 10 yards from the line of scrimmage that he can't pass through.

he stated his goal was to break the record and be MVP, never said for his team to win games. just what the man said.

i'll look for the interview he did with NFL Network.

I think your misconstruing his statements to fit your own agenda. JMO

I think your misconstruing his statements to fit your own agenda. JMO

please.. get real. when someone says and i quote "I want to break the all time rushing record and win MVP" how is that misconstucting??? way to twist it how YOU like it.

Get real. cant change what he said. he said it.

please.. get real. when someone says and i quote "I want to break the all time rushing record and win MVP" how is that misconstucting??? way to twist it how YOU like it.

Because that's not how he phrased it. Him saying "I want to win mvp" isn't the same thing as saying, "I want to win mvp more than I want to win the superbowl"

bahaha.. twist it however u want to justify his selfish remarks.. whatever man.

What? I think your the one twisting the words here. I just said I don't believe what you say he said to be the case. If your able to provide a source, I'd happily change my stance.

"I kind of have that in the bag, especially how I've been telling people I'm going to come back stronger and better than ever. So I've pretty much zip-locked that in a bag and sealed it. It'll be cool to win it."

AP

Usually when people site someone they provide a link. :)

And I can totally see how "it'll be cool to win it" = I'd rather win mvp then my team make the playoffs.

You don't like him. More power to you. You have every right to do so. However, you don't know the man's intentions or what's in his head and heart. Him saying that doesn't mean he doesn't want to win or the team's goals aren't important. That sort of thinking on your part is very dangerous....you could start assuming all sorts of things about all sorts of people if you went down that path of thinking. Wanting to win an MVP/achieve individual award and winning a SB is not mutually exclusive. In fact for Minnesota to even MAKE the playoffs AP had to have one of the most incredible MVP seasons ever and finish it off with one of the greatest individual game performances ever. But think what you want....no one here can convince you otherwise. I'm no AP fan....I think he is an amazing RB and I think he should be very careful about saying he is "all natural" because someday that may come back to haunt him....but speaking about reaching individual goals...goals that in doing so would only naturally help his team...those are personal goals...and anyone that is great...all of the greats have those goals...and reaching for them makes them great. Him striving for that is what would allow Minnesota any shot at a playoffs or SB. I've got no problem verbalizing your goals...and NO PROBLEM with AP stating his. God forbid if AL ever states a personal goal...he would be shelfish and thus you couldn't root for him...let's pray he never answers any of those questions.