Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton wants to change the culture

superrep1967

Pep Hamilton wants to come in and change the culture. He wants to work with Lucks footwork and he sounds like if you're not on board with him go somewhere else. He wants guys to learn the playbook and wants them to know the fundamentals. He's definitely will be much more demanding than Arians was and is. So it'll take some guys a while to get used to that. I'm not sure how to take him yet! What is everybody else's opinion? Because his attitude could be a good thing or maybe a bad thing depending how he treats these guys. 

Pep said in his interview while they were arriving at TC today that:

he has to re acclamate Luck back to a progression type offense, and help him manage bad plays better not in terms of tucking and running but in terms of getting it to your check down guy(get it to the ppl that paid to run with the ball and not take unnecessary hits). And work on his footwork and maintain balance in the pocket and stay in a throwing/loaded position.

He also said the players had been really receptive on studying the details of the play book(because it is very detailed as he says) because his play book is predicated on not wasting plays and being an efficient offense especially on 3rd down and in the redzone at the same time score touchdowns

And when he says being a balanced offense he means in terms of being effective at both running and passing rather than play selection. He wants to be able to run the ball when necessary but at the same time be able to hit big plays in the passing game.

The video is up on colts.com

Pep Hamilton wants to come in and change the culture. He wants to work with Lucks footwork and he sounds like if you're not on board with him go somewhere else. He wants guys to learn the playbook and wants them to know the fundamentals. He's definitely will be much more demanding than Arians was and is. So it'll take some guys a while to get used to that. I'm not sure how to take him yet! What is everybody else's opinion? Because his attitude could be a good thing or maybe a bad thing depending how he treats these guys. 

I love his perspective and attitude.

He isn't cultivating a garden of daisies.

D.I.S.C.I.P.L.I.N.E.

Respectfully,  I think you've jumped to some conclusions without any facts to back that up.    What evidence is there that Arians wasn't demanding?     

I think the only thing guys will have to "get used to" is the new playbook,  which is like learning a whole new language and is certainly not easy.  

But I don't think Arians was some softy and now the players have to get used to Hamilton being much more demanding.   I don't think that's accurate at all.

If I were a lawyer (and I'm not)  I'd say you're assuming facts that aren't in evidence....

I dont think Hamilton is going to do anything Luck isnt used to...or doesnt want to do.. They've worked together before 

..and we dont need a culture change...

I would suggest that our guys learned the playbook and knew fundamentals last year..

we did win a couple of games..

Arians had our Oline last year doing things that were not to there strong suit(trying to turn a bunch of Zone Blocking O Linemen into Power Blocking O Linemen) nor Lucks(partially responsible for Lucks gun slinging mentality last year) despite how much trouble our O Line had doing it (and Luck last year off and on), how much more demanding can a coach get? :funny:

he has to re acclamate Luck back to a progression type offense, and help him manage bad plays better not in terms of tucking and running but in terms of getting it to your check down guy(get it to the ppl that paid to run with the ball and not take unnecessary hits). And work on his footwork and maintain balance in the pocket and stay in a throwing/loaded position.

He also said the players had been really receptive on studying the details of the play book(because it is very detailed as he says) because his play book is predicated on not wasting plays and being an efficient offense especially on 3rd down and in the redzone at the same time score touchdowns

And when he says being a balanced offense he means in terms of being effective at both running and passing rather than play selection. He wants to be able to run the ball when necessary but at the same time be able to hit big plays in the passing game.

We pass much better than we run..and we're built to pass.....we dont have a strong rushing attack or dominant run blockers...

When we run the ball..we're doing the other team a favor.....our backs...while decent ...are not great.

WE have half dozen good receivers including 2 potential 1,000 yards guys and a Pro Bowl passer and we need to keep them busy.

Pep will see that..right now..he's just talking

We pass much better than we run..and we're built to pass.....we dont have a strong rushing attack or dominant run blockers...

When we run the ball..we're doing the other team a favor.....our backs...while decent ...are not great.

WE have half dozen good receivers including 2 potential 1,000 yards guys and a Pro Bowl passer and we need to keep them busy.

You keep them busy by having a run game that can keep a defense on their toes and hit them on the play actions when they get caught cheating up. Just coming out and throwing is doing the defense a favor( look at Romo, Stafford, Bree's past two years) they throw for tons of yards but you don't get far with no running game.

Plus Pagano is serious about running the ball the games he came back just proves it. We went on a 9+ min drive without scoring to ice the game vs Texans(that was incredible). And in the playoff game Ballard had 20+ rushes.

The game just gets a lot easier when your effective running the ball just as much effective you are passing

I think the only thing guys will have to "get used to" is the new playbook,  which is like learning a whole new language and is certainly not easy.

I think that would probably be the biggest change as well. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Arians' offense last year was numbers based in its play calling (routes etc). West coast is much more wordy and cumbersome and takes some getting used to. Luck has already been exposed to it from Stanford - Pep used a hybrid form of the WCO and I'm making the assumption that he's using that basic terminology as well. If my assumptions are accurate and they are indeed going from a numbers based system to a more "wordy" system, that will be a little bit of a jump for guys that haven't been in a WCO. Biggest challenge early on will be getting the play called in the huddle and lined up in good time.

WE have half dozen good receivers including 2 potential 1,000 yards guys and a Pro Bowl passer and we need to keep them busy.

for the longest time, we didn't have a strong run defense or dominant run defenders.  so do we just accept that as a fact about the team or maybe do something to try to change it?

Hamilton has spoken many times about having a balanced offensive attack and a power running game.  Pagano has been preaching SINCE HE GOT HERE that he wants to have a balanced offense with a power running game.  He's the guy that Grigson hired to be the coach for this team so I think it's fair to say they have very similar philosophies regarding the shape they want this team to take.  Grigson has also spoken many times about how important a top notch offensive line and a solid running game are.  Grigson is the guy that Irsay hired to manage this team so I think it's fair to say that they also both share a common image of what they want this team to be.  Irsay himself recently spoke publicly about how the team IS more balanced and THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS.  

so to summarize, it seems that Hamilton, Pagano, Grigson and Irsay all want a balanced offensive attack with a power running game.  So if you could find it in your heart to ACCEPT THIS and stop with the incessant drivel about how the Colts need an air-it-out high flying passing attack and how Luck needs to get to 5,000 yards passing in order for us to get to the playoffs.....yeah that would be great.  :thmup:

Or...do you think that they're all "just talking"?

That bit on footwork is interesting and very important. Quick feet have a lot to do with the QB's progressions and his release. Something I didn't quite understand is how closely related a passer's feet are to the way his eyes scan the field. Some might call it happy feet, but it leads to a quick release, and it can also help a QB avoid injury to his legs in a crowded pocket.

As for being balanced between the run and the pass, it's going to be highly dependent on our offensive line to do work in the run game. That's probably the biggest question mark on our offense right now.

You keep them busy by having a run game that can keep a defense on their toes and hit them on the play actions when they get caught cheating up. Just coming out and throwing is doing the defense a favor( look at Romo, Stafford, Bree's past two years) they throw for tons of yards but you don't get far with no running game.

Plus Pagano is serious about running the ball the games he came back just proves it. We went on a 9+ min drive without scoring to ice the game vs Texans(that was incredible). And in the playoff game Ballard had 20+ rushes.

The game just gets a lot easier when your effective running the ball just as much effective you are passing

We dont have the peole to run..

And th game is easy when you spread it around like Luck does..

We arent built to run the ball....In the game where Ballard ran 20 times we never got to the end zone...right?

Pagano is serious about winning and running my man Donald Brown into the line wont get it done...

Bradshaw is hurt,.

Menawhile..we have a Pro Bowl passer and a squad of good hands people.

We play indoors..and in warm weather places

.....You cant do something you cant do.... based on a theory...When we hand the ball off.2 times in a row........the defense breathes a sigh of relief

When Luck drops back to throw..the defense is in trouble..and they know it

Mr. Pep will know it, too....

Respectfully,  I think you've jumped to some conclusions without any facts to back that up.    What evidence is there that Arians wasn't demanding?     

But I don't think Arians was some softy and now the players have to get used to Hamilton being much more demanding.   I don't think that's accurate at all.

If I were a lawyer (and I'm not)  I'd say you're assuming facts that aren't in evidence....

It was just a observation nothing more

Yeah probably..lol

We arent built to run the ball....In the game where Ballard ran 20 times we never got to the end zone...right?

Pagano is serious about winning and running my man Donald Brown into the line wont get it done...

Bradshaw is hurt,.

.....You cant do something you cant do.... based on a theory...When we hand the ball off.2 times in a row........the defense breathes a sigh of relief

I know you are obsessed with throwing the ball 45 times a game..... but now can you say the Colts don't have the personnel when the line could have 3 new starters? A lot of running the ball effectively is wanting to.

I think that would probably be the biggest change as well. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Arians' offense last year was numbers based in its play calling (routes etc). West coast is much more wordy and cumbersome and takes some getting used to. Luck has already been exposed to it from Stanford - Pep used a hybrid form of the WCO and I'm making the assumption that he's using that basic terminology as well. If my assumptions are accurate and they are indeed going from a numbers based system to a more "wordy" system, that will be a little bit of a jump for guys that haven't been in a WCO. Biggest challenge early on will be getting the play called in the huddle and lined up in good time.

Do you think that Pep will ever turn the offense over to Luck?

Bradshaw is hurt,.

we don't have the people to run?  that's why they keep bringing in new people

the game is easy?  that's just stupid.  Nothing in the NFL is EASY.  but if you think it is easy for Luck to sling the ball around, imagine how much easier it will be when he has a formidable running game to back him up.

we aren't built to run?  see above

pagano is serious about winning?  so are grigson, irsay and hamilton and they all also have spoken repeatedly about rebuilding the team and building a potent, power running attack

bradshaw is hurt?  Brown, ballard, Havili, wiliams etc are not.

we play indoors?  in the playoffs we could play anywhere

you can't do something you can't do?  we can't stop the run either.  do we just accept that as fact or try to fix it?  yeah, we try to fix it.

Bradshaw is hurt,.

.....You cant do something you cant do.... based on a theory...When we hand the ball off.2 times in a row........the defense breathes a sigh of relief

We didn't get in the end zone that playoff game because we couldn't score in the redzone: we were in the redzone 5 times and had 3 field goals, missed field goal, and a fumble by luck. If we found a way to score touchdowns there its a whole different ball game.

As far as not having the people to run the ball, I don't know how you know that being that we are going to have 3-4 new starter on the OL with a fullback, so in fact our run offense is TBD.

"Handing the ball off 2 times in a row, defense breathes sigh of relief" "Luck drops back and the defense knows they are in trouble"

Those quotes from you above just proves why having a balanced attack is just what we need. And you do know according to PFF Luck had 14 interceptions dropped by defenders and had the highest amount of drops by his receivers with 50 I believe but yet you call them a squad of good hands?

It was just a observation nothing more

Understood.....   I'm not reading anything more into it than that...

And I was only offering up my $.02, for whatever it's worth...   and there are plenty of days that my two cents,  aren't even worth that much!!       :slaphead:

Either way.....    no worries,  we're good!      :thmup:

QBs are typically taught to make their first read as they're dropping back and planting that back foot. If the first read is covered, they do one hitch step up in the pocket one time while looking at their second read (climbing the ladder/pocket), third hitch is third read, etc. Its a rhythm thing, especially for timing routes. One purpose of the hitch step is to align your feet to the next target as you go through your progression. You don't want to have your eyes over there telling you its open and your body isn't ready to deliver the ball. That costs fractions of a second to overcome and can make a difference. Pretty sure Pep teaches it that way as well. Granted don't mistake being on the balls of your feet with a slight bounce as a hitch step. If guys are slow coming out of their drop or go through their reads slowly, it throws the timing off (obviously). Quicker feet also help you recover from missteps or pressure in the pocket. That's also why its important to get pressure on pocket passers to disrupt the footwork and timing, and why guys like Favre and Cutler who have stronger arms can compensate easier for a weak base.

Do you think that Pep will ever turn the offense over to Luck?

depends how drastic you're talking...you mean like the relationship Manning and Moore had? Maybe in time but I don't foresee it happening in the next couple years. But...Luck hasn't given any reason yet to doubt that he can handle it. It would be a gradual thing I feel.

As far as all this running the football stuff goes, you can run the football a lot and still have Luck put up monster numbers. For example, last year tom brady threw for over 4800 yards and 34 tds, and their RB Stevan Ridley had 290 carries for over 1200 yards and 12 tds. I realize their offensive line is better than ours, but I feel like our O-line will be much better this year with 4 possible new starters, and at least 2 new starters for sure. Our RBs can have good, solid seasons, and we can still throw the ball a lot. If Bradshaw can have 800-1000 yards with 6-8 TDs, and Ballard have 400-600 yards and 3 or 4 TDs, Luck can still throw for close to 4500 yards and get 28+ TDs. It's not like you have to pick one, either run the ball well or pass the ball well, you can do both.

I don't see wanting Luck to work on his footwork as a sign that he wants to change the culture as much as I see it as him doing his job which is to make Luck the best QB he can be.

Also, I don't take it as a sign that Arians did something wrong in anyway.  Arians had Luck for one year as a rookie and got a lot out of him in that one year, he wasn't going to make him a finished product in one year though so of course there are still things that Pep can help Luck improve on.

Bradshaw is hurt,.

We don't need to be great at the run....   we simply need to be good at the run.    Good enough to make the defense respect the run.     Good enough to make the pass rush slow up a bit....   to make LB's and DB's be a step slow or late on their assignment because they're not sure what the Colts are doing....

If you want to maximize Luck,  we need to make a commitment to being a decent running team.  

Pep say that at Stanford.   So did the Colts when they scouted Luck and Fleener....    that's the idea behind bringing Pep Hamilton to Indianapolis.....      install some balance and make the defense respect every weapon in the offense,  including the run...