Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Games that could make or break our season.....

NewColtsFan

What exactly is there to appreciate? One championship and 8 first round playoff defeats. Peyton will always be known for rebuilding the colts and thats great, but do I think Peyton is the greatest of all time no.

You sound like a Patriots fan to me right now. I never thought that i'd see a Colts fan seriously not like Peyton Manning

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like a Patriots fan to me right now. I never thought that i'd see a Colts fan seriously not like Peyton Manning

having a subjective opinion about Peyton doesn't make me any less of a colts fan

I had a lot of joy in there, misery is what life was like before Peyton Manning for the most part or 2011, that was misery.  Losing in the playoffs with Peyton was a sour ending to a great season most of the time but I'll take that over 2-14 and hoping for a 9-7 season which is what life was like before Peyton came here. If winning it all is the only thing that makes you happy about sports then every team is going to disappoint you, even the great Tom Brady has had way more disappointing endings to his seasons than he has had happy endings and no happy endings since 2004.  Since then he's been to as many Super Bowls as Peyton and has a worse record in them than Peyton.

2-14 is misery, but getting knocked out time and time again is just as hurtful.

not to me I can find joy along the way to get knocked out in the playoffs, not that I enjoy it mind you, but it's better than 2-14.  Give me anyone of our seasons that ended with the heartache of a playoff loss over 2011 any day of the week!  It's those playoff loses that make things like 2006 so freaking sweet when they do happen and which is I spent years telling people to enjoy it rather than fret about not having more of them because you might not get another one and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want the one I have ruined because I was too busy going we could have had more than being grateful for the one we do have. 

I think it does. You're simply ungrateful to the fact that every year he played here your team was labeled a Super Bowl contender and you knew going into every season that Peyton was going to get that team 9-14 wins a year. If not for him it would be 2011 every single year with Curtis Painter as our quarterback. If Andrew luck retires 12 years from now having won only one ring would you call him a loser?

Championships are hard to win. Only one out of 32 teams win the Super Bowl every year. Being a fan isn't just about winning a ring every year. Just ask Browns fans.

having a subjective opinion about Peyton doesn't make me any less of a colts fan

I think it does. You're simply ungrateful to the fact that every year he played here your team was labeled a Super Bowl contender and you knew going into every season that Peyton was going to get that team 9-14 wins a year. If not for him it would be 2011 every single year with Curtis Painter as our quarterback. If Andrew luck retires 12 years from now having won only one ring would you call him a loser?

There are fans of 30 NFL teams that would love to have experienced what colt fans experienced over the past decade. You sound like a spoiled child who got thousands of dollars worth of birthday presents but you're still crying because you didn't get the unicorn you wanted.

Idk why people are giving us a Loss to Denver already. Any team can beat any team if they play their cards right. And anything can happen, Peyton gets hit late and re-injures his neck or anything. I'm not giving out any losses until that clock hits 0:00 in the 4th quarter (unless there's overtime)

People are optimistic because on paper, this team is better than last year's team was on paper and on the field. Grigson has given us 110% since he's been here. Now of course the fa signings and this year draft haven't played here yet so we don't know if they'll play out. But so far, he's done a good job of looking high & low for ways to improve this team.

:rantoff:

I think his main point is that you don't have to worship the ground that Peyton Manning walks on to be a Colts fan.  I think he went a little over the top with his reaction to Peyton Manning but I think that was his main point and frankly I think the main point is correct.  With that said I do think there is a difference between appreciating what Peyton Manning did for the Colts and the city of Indianapolis and just generally liking the guy and worshiping the ground he works on.  I think it's safe to say just about everyone who is/was a Colts fan does the first one on some level. 

I think what bothered me more from his follow up posts is his sense of entitlement when it comes to winning.  He or she seems to fit a group of fans who think that just because you have a great QB you are entitled to win.  It doesn't work that way in the NFL, it's the ultimate team game and having one super great player a lone doesn't equal a championship you have to have the right players around Peyton.  Honestly, if you look back at most of Peyton's one and dones in the playoffs, especially early in his career you are left going where are Edge and Marvin?  It's not like they were putting up career numbers in the playoffs.   Honestly of the big three Peyton was the one who showed up the most in the playoffs and kept us in a lot of playoff games that would have been complete blow outs without him due to the supporting role players not showing up.  Now as time went on he started to get more support from other players, Reggie Wayne being the most noticeable, and his post season performances went up.

I also want to be clear that Peyton was far from perfect in the playoffs himself.  I think Peyton's biggest fault and the biggest thing that separates him from a guy like Brady, his brother, or even Andrew Luck is that it didn't take much to fluster Peyton Manning and often times we saw a flustered Peyton Manning in the playoffs but if I saw the other two guys you count on to do things during the regular season not giving you much in the playoffs I think I would be flustered too. 

not to me I can find joy along the way to get knocked out in the playoffs, not that I enjoy it mind you, but it's better than 2-14.  Give me anyone of our seasons that ended with the heartache of a playoff loss over 2011 any day of the week!  It's those playoff loses that make things like 2006 so freaking sweet when they do happen and which is I spent years telling people to enjoy it rather than fret about not having more of them because you might not get another one and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want the one I have ruined because I was too busy going we could have had more than being grateful for the one we do have. 

I can respect that

There are fans of 30 NFL teams that would love to have experienced what colt fans experienced over the past decade. You sound like a spoiled child who got thousands of dollars worth of birthday presents but you're still crying because you didn't get the unicorn you wanted.

I know id take heat for bashing peyton and Im fine with it because my point is valid. peyton brought success to the colts yes, but he has brought disappoint year after year after year. you cant sit there and tell me those playoff losses didnt bother you.

peyton brought success back to a dismal team and im grateful for that, but you cant tell me those playoff losses didnt hurt when peyton wasnt playing up to what we expect of him. our championship year. he threw i think 9 intercepts.

I think his main point is that you don't have to worship the ground that Peyton Manning walks on to be a Colts fan.  I think he went a little over the top with his reaction to Peyton Manning but I think that was his main point and frankly I think the main point is correct.  With that said I do think there is a difference between appreciating what Peyton Manning did for the Colts and the city of Indianapolis and just generally liking the guy and worshiping the ground he works on.  I think it's safe to say just about everyone who is/was a Colts fan does the first one on some level. 

I think what bothered me more from his follow up posts is his sense of entitlement when it comes to winning.  He or she seems to fit a group of fans who think that just because you have a great QB you are entitled to win.  It doesn't work that way in the NFL, it's the ultimate team game and having one super great player a lone doesn't equal a championship you have to have the right players around Peyton.  Honestly, if you look back at most of Peyton's one and dones in the playoffs, especially early in his career you are left going where are Edge and Marvin?  It's not like they were putting up career numbers in the playoffs.   Honestly of the big three Peyton was the one who showed up the most in the playoffs and kept us in a lot of playoff games that would have been complete blow outs without him due to the supporting role players not showing up.  Now as time went on he started to get more support from other players, Reggie Wayne being the most noticeable, and his post season performances went up.

I also want to be clear that Peyton was far from perfect in the playoffs himself.  I think Peyton's biggest fault and the biggest thing that separates him from a guy like Brady, his brother, or even Andrew Luck is that it didn't take much to fluster Peyton Manning and often times we saw a flustered Peyton Manning in the playoffs but if I saw the other two guys you count on to do things during the regular season not giving you much in the playoffs I think I would be flustered too. 

well it sounds like coltsrule91 doesn't appreciate peyton on any level

We could talk all day but in the end, on paper games mean nothing.

I actually think we could beat the Broncos in our house. I can say we have a good chance of winning all of our home games.

The only game I think is a unanimous loss is the one at San Fran, that team is loaded on both sides of the ball.

Pretty much. When someone defaults to blaming him for not having won more Super Bowls, rather than acknowledging that he was the primary reason for the increased expectations in the first place, it kind of speaks to their own personal preference more than just a "subjective" recounting of what happened.

Pretty much. When someone defaults to blaming him for not having won more Super Bowls, rather than acknowledging that he was the primary reason for the increased expectations in the first place, it kind of speaks to their own personal preference more than just a "subjective" recounting of what happened.

could not agree more!

They might not, that's what I was getting at by saying they were going over the top with it. Still, I think the general point is that you don't have to worship the ground Peyton walks on to be a Colts fan. With that said I think 99.9% of Colts fans are thankful for him but hey someone has to be the .1%!

They might not, that's what I was getting at by saying they were going over the top with it. Still, I think the general point is that you don't have to worship the ground Peyton walks on to be a Colts fan. With that said I think 99.9% of Colts fans are thankful for him but hey someone has to be the .1%!

I don't ''worship'' Peyton, I just give him his well-deserved respect.