Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Clark: Brady "sees ghosts"

GoPats

Thought this was some interesting offseason bulletin board material.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167620/article/ryan-clark-tom-brady-flinches-under-pressure

"When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts," Clark said Monday, via Comcast SportsNet New England. "Even when guys aren't around him, even when he's not about to be sacked, when his clock goes off in his head that the ball should be out, we'll see him duck, we'll see him flinch. When you get Tom Brady doing that, the whole New England Patriots mystique goes away."

But as this writer points out, Clark seems to think he has a handle on playing the Patriots while the facts seem to indicate otherwise.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/22212814/bradys-muscular-body-of-work-easily-deflects-ryan-clarks-trash-talk

Clark seems to suggest that Brady is morphing into a present-day Jim Everett, but that's not even close. Brady is tough, accurate and enormously successful, and if he has a shortcoming it's not enough support from teammates he's had to carry for too many years.

I think back to 2006 when his go-to receivers were Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell, yet somehow Brady had the Patriots within a minute of advancing to Super Bowl XLI. That was the season Clark joined Pittsburgh, so he should remember. He should also remember that in three games vs. Pittsburgh since Clark's been there, Brady is 2-1, with nine touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 116.9.

So... I guess Clark's talking about the Giants and Ravens then? LOL...

while it may not be the steelers that give the patriots trouble what hes saying does have some merit. brady isnt brady when hes pressured. hes so use to having 30 mins to throw the ball that when hes rushed his clock cant adjust.

while it may not be the steelers that give the patriots trouble what hes saying does have some merit. brady isnt brady when hes pressured. hes so use to having 30 mins to throw the ball that when hes rushed his clock cant adjust.

All QBs perform differently under pressure. That's like saying "water is wet."

And what you're stating is actually a fairly common misconception. Brady consistently rates very high among QBs when teams send 5+ rushers. I think the perception exists because of key, nationally televised losses when the entire world was watching.

This is from 2011, but gives some hard numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/35958/do-not-blitz-tom-brady

This is from just last season, after Brady torched the Texans' blitz all day.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-texans-blitz-2013-1

He can duck and weave and bob all he wants if the results remain the same.

Google "Brady against the blitz" for about a dozen other articles.

Ryan Clark commenting on how to beat Tom Brady is pretty much akin to Elizabth Taylor giving advice on how to have a successful marriage. Brady has absolutely torched the guy and the Steelers over the years.

That being said, he is not saying anything earth shattering here. I think the goal against any QB is to get pressure and cover his weapons. For years Miami has given the Pats fits because they are able to get pressure with four guys and drop seven into coverage. That is what the Ravens did this year in the playoffs to both the Pats AND the Broncos. They key is being able to do it consistently. More often than not D's fail at this which is why Brady currently has the best winning percentage in the NFL and the most playoff wins in the history of the game.

I think what has hurt the Pats the last few years is the lack of a legit outside receiver to keep the defense honest. Teams are able to easily clog the middle of the field forcing Brady to hold the ball and often throw it away because no one is open. Hopefully one of the receivers they drafted this year will turn out to be THAT guy on the outside.

Ryan Clark commenting on how to beat Tom Brady is pretty much akin to Elizabth Taylor giving advice on how to have a successful marriage. Brady has absolutely torched the guy and the Steelers over the years.

That being said, he is not saying anything earth shattering here. I think the goal against any QB is to get pressure and cover his weapons. For years Miami has given the Pats fits because they are able to get pressure with four guys and drop seven into coverage. That is what the Ravens did this year in the playoffs to both the Pats AND the Broncos. They key is being able to do it consistently. More often than not D's fail at this which is why Brady currently has the best winning percentage in the NFL and the most playoff wins in the history of the game.

I think what has hurt the Pats the last few years is the lack of a legit outside receiver to keep the defense honest. Teams are able to easily clog the middle of the field forcing Brady to hold the ball and often throw it away because no one is open. Hopefully one of the receivers they drafted this year will turn out to be THAT guy on the outside.

What has been the recipe for success against the Pats is creating pressure with four pass rushers. But not every team has the horses to do that. Most of NE's linemen are solid but can be beat in one-on-one matchups.

What has been the recipe for success against the Pats is creating pressure with four pass rushers. But not every team has the horses to do that. Most of NE's linemen are solid but can be beat in one-on-one matchups.

Yes, I agree. And it is not just rushing the four but covering well with the seven. I remember the Jags in the playoff game in 2008 tried to just rush four and cover and Brady had a game for the ages completeing 26 of 28 passes for a 91 percent completion percentage which still stands as the best percentage ever in an NFL game.

All QBs perform differently under pressure. That's like saying "water is wet."

And what you're stating is actually a fairly common misconception. Brady consistently rates very high among QBs when teams send 5+ rushers. I think the perception exists because of key, nationally televised losses when the entire world was watching.

This is from 2011, but gives some hard numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/35958/do-not-blitz-tom-brady

This is from just last season, after Brady torched the Texans' blitz all day.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-texans-blitz-2013-1

He can duck and weave and bob all he wants if the results remain the same.

Google "Brady against the blitz" for about a dozen other articles.

while yea qbs perform different under pressure, none of them have the same kind of protection brady gets. yea saying pressuring brady doesnt automatically beat the pats, but its hard to argue when you get to brady you stand a good chance. look at the cards game for example. got to brady a lot making them lose to a 4-12 team. 49er game for the most part brady couldnt do anything course then he burned them. seahawk game is a good example too. 

while yea qbs perform different under pressure, none of them have the same kind of protection brady gets. yea saying pressuring brady doesnt automatically beat the pats, but its hard to argue when you get to brady you stand a good chance. look at the cards game for example. got to brady a lot making them lose to a 4-12 team. 49er game for the most part brady couldnt do anything course then he burned them. seahawk game is a good example too. 

Do you have stats to prove Brady gets better protection? I really think it is a factor of how quick he gets rid of the ball. Same for Manning. Both have very good Olines but their ability to read the defense pre-snap and post-snap is what makes it so tough to stop them.

Do you have stats to prove Brady gets better protection? I really think it is a factor of how quick he gets rid of the ball. Same for Manning. Both have very good Olines but their ability to read the defense pre-snap and post-snap is what makes it so tough to stop them.

do you want me to get you the video of him getting 10 hours vs the dolphins

Sure, than I can get you the video of how he torched the Texans twice (sorry Quizboy) when they blitzed him repeatedely. 

yea because the texans have great pass rushers. outside of watt they got nothing at pass rusher. who else brooks reed. if you say barwin I will laugh in your face.

This list is hilarious. Did you notice how the Broncos went from ranked #30 last year to #4 this year? Do you think that might have been because they went from Tebow to Manning?

are you serious? the o-line's whole objective with tebow was to not get in the way

This list is hilarious. Did you notice how the Broncos went from ranked #30 last year to #4 this year? Do you think that might have been because they went from Tebow to Manning?

Has more to do with the fact that the worst O-lineman in the league in 2011 was benched for an all pro.

LOL. Silly...at best.

When Brady has been overwhelmed it is a DL totally dominating the OL. I can count those games on one hand. As any QB would go down. Although Fran Tarkenton would be interesting to watch.

When the OL dominates the DL (protects) Brady has time to throw like any QB except unlike any QB he will pick you apart. (ala Manning also)

In between those two extremes Brady is outstanding under pressure with his reads, moves, smarts (what to do with the ball), quick release, etc.

One only has to just watch.

What Ryan Clark is saying isn't wrong. He just said it the wrong way. And it isn't exclusive to Brady.

Every QB reacts to pressure differently. There have been times Brady avoids guys when no one is within yards of him. Peyton slides to the ground sometimes when the pocket even starts to crumble.

The best thing Clark Judge said in his article IMO was this: "I don't argue that Tom Brady isn't the quarterback he was five years ago. The guy turns 36 in August, for crying out loud. Yet he continually is asked to do more with less." Moss gone, Welker gone, Deion Brach gone...But Belichick has brought in weapons to replace them too Amendola, Gronk, Edelman, Herandez etc.

Tom Brady & the Patriots always slice up the Steelers like a Thanksgiving turkey. Has Ryan Clark ever beaten them in the AFC Championship Game to get to the SB? Nope...Until that happens Mr. Clark, keep your comical little conspiracy theories to yourself okay. Thanks.  :funny:  :lol:  lmao

LOL. Silly...at best.

When Brady has been overwhelmed it is a DL totally dominating the OL. I can count those games on one hand. As any QB would go down. Although Fran Tarkenton would be interesting to watch.

When the OL dominates the DL (protects) Brady has time to throw like any QB except unlike any QB he will pick you apart. (ala Manning also)

In between those two extremes Brady is outstanding under pressure with his reads, moves, smarts (what to do with the ball), quick release, etc.

One only has to just watch.

Exactly JJ. The problem is likely that the games you're talking about counting on one hand have pretty much all been huge, nationally (or internationally) televised ones!

Also occurred to me...

At times, Brady has side-stepped, ducked, dodged, whatever... avoided a sack... completed the football. Sometimes I've wondered if he literally has eyes on the back of his helmet. His pocket presence seems other-worldly sometimes.

So maybe some of that is just timing and luck. The phantom ducks and dodges could be what happens when he anticipates and is wrong. When he's right, he looks like a ninja, lol...

Has Ryan Clark ever beaten them in the AFC Championship Game to get to the SB? Nope...Until that happens Mr. Clark, keep your comical little conspiracy theories to yourself okay. Thanks.  :funny:  :lol:  lmao

That was the best part SW... Clark is hardly the authority on what it takes to beat the Patriots. Maybe if this came from Terrell Suggs or Justin Tuck it'd have more merit.

Some statistical analysis regarding Clark's claim:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/58683/clarks-evaluation-of-tom-brady-has-merit

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Brady’s completion percentage drops from 68.2 percent to 42.3 percent when he holds onto the ball three seconds or longer. New England is very much a timing and rhythm offense. As Clark mentioned, opponents increase their chances of success by throwing off Brady's timing with his receivers. Brady’s Total Quarterback Rating also falls from a stellar 81.1 to an average 59.7 when he holds the ball three seconds or longer.

So it's true that if you can jam up their receivers (which might be easier without Welker, Brady's safety valve for the last six years), you increase your chances to get pressure on Brady and reduce his efficiency. It's also true that if you pressure him up the middle, it reduces his efficiency and affects his composure in the pocket.

Thing is, this is Football 101. The above comments are true about every quarterback in the NFL. If you jam up the receivers, you impact the passer's timing and effectiveness (which is why the Patriots were so physical with our receivers in the AFCCG in 2003). If you get pressure up the middle, you prevent the quarterback from climbing the pocket like he's supposed to do, and now he has to bail out. And if the quarterback isn't particularly mobile, then it's harder for him to get away from pressure, and he's going to be more prone to throw hot, resulting in some incompletions.

I think Clark was foolish to make it about Brady. He could have said this in general terms about every quarterback, especially the less mobile ones. Now you've given Brady more reason to circle November 3rd on his calendar. Good luck with that, buddy.

Exactly JJ. The problem is likely that the games you're talking about counting on one hand have pretty much all been huge, nationally (or internationally) televised ones!

Also occurred to me...

At times, Brady has side-stepped, ducked, dodged, whatever... avoided a sack... completed the football. Sometimes I've wondered if he literally has eyes on the back of his helmet. His pocket presence seems other-worldly sometimes.

So maybe some of that is just timing and luck. The phantom ducks and dodges could be what happens when he anticipates and is wrong. When he's right, he looks like a ninja, lol...

Yeah, a couple Giants games (both SBs) maybe a Ravens game, one regular season steeler game......that's about it.

I think his blind timing is just an instinct he has. When I watched him early on in his career he had those beady eyes on the field like he was playing a video game. Sort of a new generation QB. Which he's also good at so instincts are part of it. So yeah some of the phantom ducks are just over instinct. Better safe than sorry;) 

Also occurred to me...

With two of them being against the Giants(Who have arguably had the best 4 man pass rush consistently over the past few years.)

With two of them being against the Giants(Who have arguably had the best 4 man pass rush consistently over the past few years.)

yep. and defense always wins in those cases.

Kinda like when colts ran into pats 03 & 04 defense.

Yeah, a couple Giants games (both SBs) maybe a Ravens game, one regular season steeler game......that's about it.

I think his blind timing is just an instinct he has. When I watched him early on in his career he had those beady eyes on the field like he was playing a video game. Sort of a new generation QB. Which he's also good at so instincts are part of it. So yeah some of the phantom ducks are just over instinct. Better safe than sorry;) 

Over instinct? Is that a fancy way of saying he guessed wrong?

;)

yep. and defense always wins in those cases.

Kinda like when colts ran into pats 03 & 04 defense.

Yep just goes to show the key to beating an O is to attack there strengths, not their weakness.

Hey what's that beeping sound?

Oh, right... that's Ryan Clark, backtracking yesterday on his previous comments!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743303/steelers-clark-brady-toughest-qb-to-face

Steelers' Clark: Brady toughest QB to face
May, 10, 2013

Ryan Clark still isn't done talking about Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

The Steelers safety, working as a guest analyst for ESPN, garnered headlines earlier this week (link HERE) for saying Brady "sees ghosts" when pressured, but he struck a more complimentary tone Thursday.

Asked about which opposing quarterback was the toughest to face, Clark didn't hesitate.

"Ghosts or no ghosts, I have to go with the greatest living American, and that's Tom Brady," Clark said.

"You know, I said what I said, and I do believe it, and it's true. But when this guy has the opportunity to set up and throw the ball to his receivers, there's nobody better at pinpointing guys out and making plays for his team.

"I mean, he's a field general, he's a winner, he's a competitor, and Tom Brady, he's given us some hard times."