Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Need To See More From Dallas Clark

Xfiles

Dropped passes, bad blocking, poor routes, and batting screen passes to the ground purposely to avoid what he thinks will be a big hit.........I dont know what is going on with him, but he has not stepped up at all. He has regressed. Reggie and Garcon look the same(including dropped passes for Pierre) and Joe looks the same, we are running the ball better but Dallas really needs to up his game a bit.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt be opposed to trading clark for a few late round draft picks. colts need to get bigger and stronger players. imagine a jermichael finley type player at TE. that would be awesome.

Yes. I thought Brody Eldirge might be a great blocking TE with good hands, but he has been injured alot, and his blocking has not been stellar. Where the heck has Jacob tamme been too?

i wouldnt be opposed to trading clark for a few late round draft picks. colts need to get bigger and stronger players. imagine a jermichael finley type player at TE. that would be awesome.

Yes. Let's trade a proven all pro for unknown draft choices.

How soon you forget what Clark means to this offense when Peyton is in there. Sad.

The guy was playing with a foot injury on top of having two bad QB throwing him the ball.

In my opinion, Dallas is a QB dependent player. His recent play without Manning shows him for what he is. He overpaid.

If its just because he his hurting, then I get it. But why not use more two tight end sets with Brody and Jacob tamme rather than ask him to block if he wont do it? Kind of odd.

Yes. Let's trade a proven all pro for unknown draft choices.

How soon you forget what Clark means to this offense when Peyton is in there. Sad.

The guy was playing with a foot injury on top of having two bad QB throwing him the ball.

Its not that I forget what Clark can do. I just think the Colts need to get bigger and more physical players on the offense. We need players that can produce regardless of who the QB is.

Yes. I thought Brody Eldirge might be a great blocking TE with good hands, but he has been injured alot, and his blocking has not been stellar. Where the heck has Jacob tamme been too?

I agree. Eldridge took on harrison and pancaked him on more than one occasion. thats impressive imo. IDK whats going on with Tamme hes been doing alot of special teams work.

How about we not trade Dallas Clark. For god sakes, he's had one bad game, and we all go crazy and say he should be traded. YOu guys really turn your back on someone quickly. Let's not trade him, and keep him because besides Wayne he's the most reliable player on this offense.

How about we not trade Dallas Clark. For god sakes, he's had one bad game, and we all go crazy and say he should be traded. YOu guys really turn your back on someone quickly. Let's not trade him, and keep him because besides Wayne he's the most reliable player on this offense.

I never said trade him, I just want him to step it up.

this is what it seems like from my standpoint:

Either step it up because everyone has, or your going to be replaced by Tamme. Either way, everyone in the thread is talking about trading him so I thought you wanted to trade him.

No No no. I didnt mean to leave that impression. I love Dallas. My suggestion is simply if they want to run formations where blocking is the key for the TE, use Eldridge and Tamme in two TE sets. But if Dallas is asked to block, he has to be better at it. He wouldnt give any excuses for his bad blocking thus far, so I wont either.

trading him wouldnt necessarily be a horrible thing. colts need to get bigger at blocking positions!

Dallas Clark 6'3 252(he looks smaller). 32 yrs old.

Jermichael Finley 6'5 247(hes definitely bigger than that). 24 yrs old.

Rob Gronkowski 6'6 265. 22 yrs old

Vernon Davis 6'3 250. 27 yrs old

Antonio Gates 6'4 260. 31 yrs old

Tony Gonzalez 6'5 247. 35 yrs old.

I would put money on it that all these tight ends are stronger and more physical than Clark.

trading him wouldnt necessarily be a horrible thing. colts need to get bigger at blocking positions!

I would put money on it that all these tight ends are stronger and more physical than Clark.

Hahahaha are you serious?!?

Your argument is that we need to have bigger guys at blocking positions and nearly all these guys are pretty much the same size as Clark... why would you even put this up if it doesn't agree with your statement. This is one of the more ignorany posts I have read on here in a long time. Clark is one of the most dynamic pass catchers in the game and is probably one of the top 5 receiving tight ends you will ever watch in your entire life. YOu want to trade him for a 5th and 7th pick? Clark may very well be overpaid, but that is what happens when you perform year after year. We are not going to cut Wayne because he will have half the yardage and half the touchdowns he normally has, will we? This is just asanine from top to bottom. He didn't have a great game, but who did on offense?

I say we trade clark, wayne collie and garcon because with this new quarterback they aren't producing like they did last year!~ weeee... dumb

I would put money on the fact that only two of those stronger tes are as good as clark. Gates and gonzalez thats it. Some ppl are fools. Trade clark? You have got to be kidding me. The guy has NEVER been a blocker. Thats not gonna change now. Anyone realize what its like catching passes from a different qb. He has been with manning his whole career. Guys like collins and painter throw nothing like manning. The velocity, Sspin of the ball, everything is different. Heck collie has only caught what three balls this.year. Ppl need to give this crap a rest. Kinks are still being worked out

Hahahaha are you serious?!?

Your argument is that we need to have bigger guys at blocking positions and nearly all these guys are pretty much the same size as Clark... why would you even put this up if it doesn't agree with your statement. This is one of the more ignorany posts I have read on here in a long time. Clark is one of the most dynamic pass catchers in the game and is probably one of the top 5 receiving tight ends you will ever watch in your entire life. YOu want to trade him for a 5th and 7th pick? Clark may very well be overpaid, but that is what happens when you perform year after year. We are not going to cut Wayne because he will have half the yardage and half the touchdowns he normally has, will we? This is just asanine from top to bottom. He didn't have a great game, but who did on offense?

I say we trade clark, wayne collie and garcon because with this new quarterback they aren't producing like they did last year!~ weeee... dumb

you my friend are the reason why people are reluctant to post on this forum. if my opinion isnt on par with yours than u feel like its important to belittle someone. i feel like those tight ends are more physical and better blockers than clark. im not saying they should give up on clark and get rid of him tomorrow but if they were offered a trade for him why would it be ridiculous to consider it? its not that ignorant when i saw harrison blow by clark play after play last night. open your eyes. but once again you didnt read what i said because i didnt mention his production as a receiver.

I would put money on the fact that only two of those stronger tes are as good as clark. Gates and gonzalez thats it. Some ppl are fools. Trade clark? You have got to be kidding me. The guy has NEVER been a blocker. Thats not gonna change now. Anyone realize what its like catching passes from a different qb. He has been with manning his whole career. Guys like collins and painter throw nothing like manning. The velocity, Sspin of the ball, everything is different. Heck collie has only caught what three balls this.year. Ppl need to give this crap a rest. Kinks are still being worked out

we know he isnt a blocker and I am saying thats what the colts need. thanks.

No No no. I didnt mean to leave that impression. I love Dallas. My suggestion is simply if they want to run formations where blocking is the key for the TE, use Eldridge and Tamme in two TE sets. But if Dallas is asked to block, he has to be better at it. He wouldnt give any excuses for his bad blocking thus far, so I wont either.

I think we need to stop asking him to block elite pass rushers. We haven't asked him to do that in his eight previous seasons with us, so I don't know why we're pretending it's a necessity now. His value lies in catching passes, not pass blocking. Having him block in the running game is a horse of a different color, but you can't seriously expect him to suddenly be a stalwart blocker against James Harrison and Mario Williams.

but once again you didnt read what i said because i didnt mention his production as a receiver.

Well forgive me for being a bit harsh, but I just think even the thought that Clark is not someone every fan wants on this team is just crazy. You can't NOT mention his production as a receiver, because that is what he is. If you told me that eldridge is not making it as a blocker, then I would agree that it is time to get rid of him. But he in no way should be blocking harrison. Would you be surprised if addai was getting blown up by the best pass rushers in the league if he had to go one on one with them? I hope not. Yet he is expected to be in there and help block for peyton. If the scheme of our blocking leads to our worst person for pass protection being against their best pass rusher, then the biggest issue is the scheme, not the execution.

again, I am not trying to be a jerk. I apologize for that

I think we need to stop asking him to block elite pass rushers. We haven't asked him to do that in his eight previous seasons with us, so I don't know why we're pretending it's a necessity now. His value lies in catching passes, not pass blocking. Having him block in the running game is a horse of a different color, but you can't seriously expect him to suddenly be a stalwart blocker against James Harrison and Mario Williams.

What I expect him to do is his job, nothing more, nothing less. If he cant block those guys, as I have stated already numerous times, then they need to use Eldridge, or overload with another tackle, or do anything besides continuing to throw him out there. Now that being said, if he is asked to block an elite pass rusher for one or two plays, he needs to find a way to be more than just an open door...wouldnt you agree?

What I expect him to do is his job, nothing more, nothing less. If he cant block those guys, as I have stated already numerous times, then they need to use Eldridge, or overload with another tackle, or do anything besides continuing to throw him out there. Now that being said, if he is asked to block an elite pass rusher for one or two plays, he needs to find a way to be more than just an open door...wouldnt you agree?

I always thought clark was servicable as a blocker,now blocking harrison is tough for even linemen.

I always thought clark was servicable as a blocker,now blocking harrison is tough for even linemen.

Yes it is. He is quite the load. They should use Clark to chip with an overload tackle or something. I dont get the one on one either, but I will not back off saying if you ask an NFL tight end to block a defensive end for one play....they have to be better than just watching the guy run by.

Sure. I would expect him to do his best against an elite pass rusher. But I don't think that him getting beat by James Harrison is evidence that he's a problem in our offense. I think that having him in a one on one with an elite pass rusher is a recipe for disaster, and I fault the scheme.

Consider this: In eight years, we've never asked Clark to block elite edge rushers one on one in the passing game. We've always given him help, especially on the back side. Now, with Manning out (who calls a ton of the protections himself), we've seen Clark one on one with two of the best stand up rushers in the league. I think this is one of those things that Manning would always find an adjustment for at the line, because like I said, we've never had Clark one on one against an elite pass rusher before. Never. In a zone blocking scheme, sometimes these things develop in the course of a play, but we always made sure that we never had Clark in that situation.

What we wound up doing last night is using Eldridge in that role. He's a purebred blocker. He played tight end, fullback and left guard in college. And he came in last night and promptly stood Harrison up. It's up to the coaches to put players in position to succeed. That includes not putting Clark out there to block James Harrison, especially when #81 is standing on the sideline and can play that role much more effectively. If you are going to use Clark in pass protection, you use him to double-team an edge rusher, or you use him in the backfield to pick up a blitzer. You don't leave him on an island.

In short, I think Clark needs to do everything he can to protect the passer if he's put in that situation again. But I think it's folly to put him in that situation. The problem isn't with his blocking ability, because we know what he can and can't do. The problem is with the scheme. Fix the scheme, and Clark's deficiency as a pass blocker is never realized.

Agreed....Clark has never been a good blocker so we can't just all of a sudden expect him to be now. He's an elite receiving TE but a sub-par blocker. We've known this for years.

we know he isnt a blocker and I am saying thats what the colts need. thanks.

Agreed.

Well obviously some ppl dont realize it. Saying he needs to block better. Its not gonna happen. Never has never will

Agred

Could not agree more.

His job has always been and will always be to be an elite receiving TE. He has never been a good blocker so to expect him to be now is simply unreasonable.

Sure. I would expect him to do his best against an elite pass rusher. But I don't think that him getting beat by James Harrison is evidence that he's a problem in our offense. I think that having him in a one on one with an elite pass rusher is a recipe for disaster, and I fault the scheme.

Again, could not agree more. Even leaving Eldridge 1 on 1 with a guy like Harrison is asking a lot but he stepped up and did a good job when asked. Eldridge, however, has always been more of a blocking TE which is why we keep him. Clark never has been and never will be a good blocker. That doesn't mean he can't be an effective weapon, we just need to go back to using him more in the slot where we have in the past instead of asking him to block elite pass rushers 1 on 1.

His job has always been and will always be to be an elite receiving TE. He has never been a good blocker so to expect him to be now is simply unreasonable.

Well then he failed. There is no 'elite receiving TE', and if there is one, Dallas would not be it.

Im not trying to go off on a tangent about ole Dallas, but the guy had 1 great year, and a good year, and every Colt fan is just bonkers for the guy, and how hes world class, HOF, and elite, its just silly.

Well then he failed. There is no 'elite receiving TE', and if there is one, Dallas would not be it.

Im not trying to go off on a tangent about ole Dallas, but the guy had 1 great year, and a good year, and every Colt fan is just bonkers for the guy, and how hes world class, HOF, and elite, its just silly.

What are you talking about? There are several elite receiving tight ends in the NFL right now, and Clark is among them. Not only that, but every coach that we play against brings up Dallas Clark as the wildcard to our offense.

So now it is beat up on Clark day? Lets face what we have here, it is called timing Kerry is not getting with the recivers. Clark has been a mainstay with this offense for years and now to say lets see more out of him(REALLY). Clark has never been a blocker we all know that. To say get a TE like Finley really, Finley is having a good year so far, Finley doesn't block at all. It would be dumb to deal Clark, one of the best TE in the league hands down.

What are you talking about? There are several elite receiving tight ends in the NFL right now, and Clark is among them. Not only that, but every coach that we play against brings up Dallas Clark as the wildcard to our offense.

There are elite TEs. Thats what makes them ELITE, they can Block/Catch. If youre a TE that cant catch, or a TE that cant block, then your not really elite are you?

Im sure every coach, ever, has said the TE is a wildcard, so whats your point? You truly believe Dallas brings more to the table than 50% of the starting TE's in the league? Over 40% of his CAREER Yds/Rec came in 2 years. Dallas wasn't even the best white TE in his draft class, and he's caught over 60 balls in a season, twice. Does that sound like an 'elite' option to you?

Let me ask you a serious question. Do you have any idea who John Mackey is? Well lets just say he revolutionized the TE position in the NFL. He happens to be one of the greatest of all time. Also was a colt if you didnt know. And a member of the hall of fame. Now lets get something else straight. Dallas Clark, the one you say had 1 great you and another just good year, that man has broken quite a few of the HOFer's team records. So to say Clark isnt elite is just silly my friend!

There are elite TEs. Thats what makes them ELITE, they can Block/Catch. If youre a TE that cant catch, or a TE that cant block, then your not really elite are you?

Im sure every coach, ever, has said the TE is a wildcard, so whats your point? You truly believe Dallas brings more to the table than 50% of the starting TE's in the league? Over 40% of his CAREER Yds/Rec came in 2 years. Dallas wasn't even the best white TE in his draft class, and he's caught over 60 balls in a season, twice. Does that sound like an 'elite' option to you?

Perhaps if you would read posts more clearly and not let your obvious Colts-hatred cloud every post you make, then you might have noticed that Superman clearly said

There are several elite receiving tight ends in the NFL right now, and Clark is among them.

I've bolded, underlined and just for good measure changed the color of the operative word....Clark is one of the elite RECEIVING TE's. I don't think anyone has ever said that Clark is the overall best TE in the game due to his blocking deficiencies, however he is one of the best Receiving TE's in the game.

Let me ask you a serious question. Do you have any idea who John Mackey is? Well lets just say he revolutionized the TE position in the NFL. He happens to be one of the greatest of all time. Also was a colt if you didnt know. And a member of the hall of fame. Now lets get something else straight. Dallas Clark, the one you say had 1 great you and another just good year, that man has broken quite a few of the HOFer's team records. So to say Clark isnt elite is just silly my friend!

Career averages

49/566/5

Yep, that's a super elite player. Open your eyes folks. Good, yes, great for us, yes. Elite? No.

Career averages

49/566/5

Yep, that's a super elite player. Open your eyes folks. Good, yes, great for us, yes. Elite? No.

Those averages don't take into consideration the games he's missed due to injury. And that's a fair consideration if you're talking about how good of a player he is. The most important ability is availability. But don't present career averages without regard for the fact that those numbers are skewed by missed games.

I don't know who is calling him a super elite player. I think he's easily a top five tight end in the NFL right now. I don't know why you're pretending that people are presenting him as a first ballot hall of famer that we could never get over losing. The point is that he's a top level tight end in the NFL. The fact that he's 32, that he's only had two elite seasons (by your definitions), etc., has no bearing on the fact that he's still among the best at his position.