Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie's Visor

GoGoColts

I don't think that he wore that visor before this year. If I recall, to wear a visor, you have to have a medical reason. I think that he has become sensitive to light because of all the concussions. Anyway, I feel bad for him.

Basically none of this, both your facts and the conjecture, is accurate information.

Basically none of this, both your facts and the conjecture, is accurate information.

Huh?

Here is the rule:

1998 NFL Rule Changes and Clarifications

Tinted visors are banned from players' facemasks except for medical need.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-rules

Some people become permanently sensitive to light after concussions especially after many concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5611512

Here is a concussion blog talking about Collie wearing the visor in response to concussion-related light sensitivity.

http://theconcussionblog.com/2010/12/19/austin-collie-debrief/

Here is Collie in a Colts uniform and no visor.

http://www.draftdaysuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Austin-Collie.jpg

Huh?

1998 NFL Rule Changes and Clarifications

The coin toss will be called before the coin itself is tossed. This is a mid-season change.

Tinted visors are banned from players' facemasks except for medical need.

12 Players in a Huddle -- a team will be penalized immediately for having Twelve players in a huddle -- even if the 12th player goes straight to the sideline as the huddle breaks.

Defense "Flinching" -- a defensive player can no longer flinch before the snap to draw movement from an offensive linemen.

Instant Replay was turned down again.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-rules

Some people become permanently sensitive to light after concussions especially after many.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5611512

Here is a concussion blog talking about Collie wearing the visor in response to concussion-related light sensitivity.

http://theconcussionblog.com/2010/12/19/austin-collie-debrief/

Here is Collie in a Colts uniform and no visor.

http://www.draftdaysuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Austin-Collie.jpg

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't think any of this is evidence that Collie is any more sensitive to light than anyone else. He may have been last year, and that's why he started wearing the visor. I don't know if that means he still is.

As as aside, much of what The Concussion Blog writes there is pure speculation and conjecture. The writer may be an expert on concussions, but (and this was discussed at length at the time) you can't determine a player's condition, especially with regard to a concussion, through a TV screen. Whether he was sensitive to light or not, I'll never consider that blog to be credible after that piece.

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't think any of this is evidence that Collie is any more sensitive to light than anyone else. He may have been last year, and that's why he started wearing the visor. I don't know if that means he still is.

As as aside, much of what The Concussion Blog writes there is pure speculation and conjecture. The writer may be an expert on concussions, but (and this was discussed at length at the time) you can't determine a player's condition, especially with regard to a concussion, through a TV screen. Whether he was sensitive to light or not, I'll never consider that blog to be credible after that piece.

You have to be prescribed a tinted visor so that means that he is more

sensitive to light.

So a guy comes back after multiple concussion wearing a tinted visor isn't evidence of concussion-related photo-sensitivity?

A guy tears his ACL, comes back with a knee brace, but that knee brace isn't evidence of ACL tear related knee problems?

You have to be prescribed a tinted visor so that means that he is more sensitive to light.

It likely means that he was more sensitive to light. He started wearing the tinted visor last year.

Edit: I don't think we have to make this a big production. He could still be sensitive to light. My objective was just to point out that this isn't the first time he's worn the tinted visor. He started wearing it last year.

It likely means that he was more sensitive to light. He started wearing the tinted visor last year.

Edit: I don't think we have to make this a big production. He could still be sensitive to light. My objective was just to point out that this isn't the first time he's worn the tinted visor. He started wearing it last year.

Correct, after many concussion. Likely cause, photo-sensitivity due to multiple concussions.

I never said that he hadn't worn it before, I just said that I noticed it this game. Moreover, I was fairly certain of the cause... concussions.

Correct, after many concussion. Likely cause, photo-sensitivity due to multiple concussions.

Last year. That's all I'm saying. He was likely sensitive to light last year when he started wearing the visor. Doesn't mean he's still sensitive to light. He could be. He might just like wearing the tinted visor, and since he was cleared to wear it last year, there's no problem with the league now. It might make reduce the glare of the lights and make it easier for him to catch the ball.

I'm just saying don't read too much into him wearing the tinted visor. I got the impression from your first post that you didn't remember him wearing it last year. I was just pointing out that last night isn't the first time he's worn it.

Last year. That's all I'm saying. He was likely sensitive to light last year when he started wearing the visor. Doesn't mean he's still sensitive to light. He could be. He might just like wearing the tinted visor, and since he was cleared to wear it last year, there's no problem with the league now. It might make reduce the glare of the lights and make it easier for him to catch the ball.

I'm just saying don't read too much into him wearing the tinted visor. I got the impression from your first post that you didn't remember him wearing it last year. I was just pointing out that last night isn't the first time he's worn it.

Gotcha

Below is a link to a picture of Collie wearing the exact same visor in last year's season opener against the Texans, meaning he was wearing the visor long before he was concussed. I can't speak as to why the NFL allowed him to begin wearing it, but it was not originally tied to concussions.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Austin+Collie/Indianapolis+Colts+v+Houston+Texans/tvlzo2-N3gQ

No, I wish them failure. Michael Vick will get no sympathy from me, I'm not going write M.V a fan letter hoping he gets better anytime soon either.

His cries of unfair treatment and general 'boo-hooing' has firmly planted me within the same school of thought as you. Worst of luck, Mod Edit

His cries of unfair treatment and general 'boo-hooing' has firmly planted me within the same school of thought as you. Worst of luck, Mod Edit.

I read somewhere today that he has gotten the most flags for hits in the past two years, so what he's complaining about remains to be seen.

My feeling is, if you step outside the hashes and are no more than 10 yards behind the LOS you should be hit as hard as a defender wants. With a guy like Vick, when he gets outside the hashes, chances are he's going to take off running, and the defense isn't just going to settle for an arm tackle, nor should they. It's their obligation to make him more hesitant to run it, so they go for the big hit on him.

He was quiet and reserved last season, and he earned some respect from me. But with all he's done so far this year, he's pretty much lost it. I think that ungodly (and un-warranted) extension the Eagles gave him, and all the people going on about how good he was last year and about how great he was going to be this year made his head swell.

I predicted this for him, though. Teams have a year of film on him this year, and they have a firm grasp on his tendencies for every situation which is going to make him have to be more conventional, and Vick IS NOT a conventional QB. He's sub-standard at conventional QB play. He has limited vision, poor defensive recognition, inconsistent accuracy, and questionable decision making skills. When he can't run he's one of the 10 worst QB's in the league. The thing that plays MOST to his strength in Philly is their sloppy offensive style. He can throw the ball a mile down the road, and Philly has receivers who can catch his deep passes. Beyond that, though, the Philly passing game is limited.

Back on topic, Collie's visor is to keep the lasers that come out of his eyes from cutting everything he looks at in half.

Scary, but true.