Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck & Jones = Manning & Saturday

Barrett Jones, I LOVE this kid! We should do what we can to draft him imo, start him at guard this year and switch him to centre in a season or two.

He's a really smart guy and could help Luck out a lot, calling blocking assignments and audibles from the line like he did in Alabama.

I could definitely see Luck and Jones forming a similar relationship to that of Manning and Saturday.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same IDK who jones is but we need something like that a Manning Saturday thing when its your "brother" behind you you want to protect them more.

Barrett Jones is a versatile offensive lineman who plays for Alabama. He's played in 4 out of the 5 OL positions (correct me if I'm wrong there). Not an elite layer at any position but, like I said, his intelligence (both on the field and academically) sets him apart.

He formed a really good relationship with his Alabama quarterback A.J McCarron and they were successful together.

Will probably be available mid-second round so I'd advocate trading back.

he is a 2nd rounder, even a couple mocks i have seen had him in the early third round (but that would be luck for those teams as i dont see him getting out of the second round). which honestly i would have no issue trading the 24th overall pick for multiple picks including a 2nd rounder, I still dont see us getting Jones. he will more then likely be gone early in the second. 

he is a 2nd rounder, even a couple mocks i have seen had him in the early third round (but that would be luck for those teams as i dont see him getting out of the second round). which honestly i would have no issue trading the 24th overall pick for multiple picks including a 2nd rounder, I still dont see us getting Jones. he will more then likely be gone early in the second. 

Again, I'm suggesting we trade back for him. Sorry if that wasn't clear :P

see i think he is a 3rd rounder also, but i dont see him making it out of the early second round. 

He may not, but his grade is like 71 on NFL.com which is basically a mid 3rd rder.. I know he's versatile and thats great to have, but I don't think he stands out at any one position. 

I'd select this guy in a second. I'll be VERY pleased with our entire draft if he is a part of it.

ND's front 7 was considered one of the best. Jones manhandled them all!! Even one on one just stonewalled his man. Right there I began my man crush. Them I did some more digging on him and he's a beast. Would absolutely love drafting him.

Barrett Jones is a versatile offensive lineman who plays for Alabama. He's played in 4 out of the 5 OL positions (correct me if I'm wrong there). Not an elite layer at any position but, like I said, his intelligence (both on the field and academically) sets him apart.

He formed a really good relationship with his Alabama quarterback A.J McCarron and they were successful together.

Will probably be available mid-second round so I'd advocate trading back.

you are rite in him being versatile but out of give he only played three.. He isn't the most talented lineman but he is very smart and ha very great technique not to mention his toughness and gritt i love the guy and would love for him to be a colt (as i would any other bama player)

He may not, but his grade is like 71 on NFL.com which is basically a mid 3rd rder.. I know he's versatile and thats great to have, but I don't think he stands out at any one position. 

I very much believe that personality is as important as talent. His play alone probably puts him where you're suggesting, mid 3rd. But he's exactly the type of guy i'd like on my football team and that ups his grade for me.

An average player with a great attitude = a great player with an average attitude to me.

you are rite in him being versatile but out of give he only played three.. He isn't the most talented lineman but he is very smart and ha very great technique not to mention his toughness and gritt i love the guy and would love for him to be a colt (as i would any other bama player)

Thanks for the correction!

Still, 3 positions? Not many players can do that.

What would you give up? We have limited draft picks as it is.

I definitely don't think we should trade up.

id give up 2 picks, the way i look at it is, we did a great job in free agency to hill all of our needs, IMO we could really use a G or pass rusher, id either want to trade up for an immediate starter or stay put at 24 where a possible starter could fall, im against trading back where our first pick would be in the 2nd where we would get a backup or borderline starter just to have more picks, if we want to win now we need impact players, or unless grigson sees something in some later round players then go for it,  but a bunch of rookies that wont start when we filled our holes to me is not worth it when we can get a talent in the first

And, FWIW,  on ESPN.com he has a mid to low 3rd round grade....

The problem with taking Jones in the 2nd is that means he's your first pick.....   I'd want no part of that draft scenario....   I think he's a Center...   and if we could get him in the 3rd (possible)  then I'd be OK with that....   but I don't want to spend my first pick on him at all...

The problem with taking Jones in the 2nd is that means he's your first pick.....   I'd want no part of that draft scenario....   I think he's a Center...   and if we could get him in the 3rd (possible)  then I'd be OK with that....   but I don't want to spend my first pick on him at all...

i totally agree with this, if hes such a versatile beast as some ppl are alluding to, then why do the scouts wjo do this for a living have him late 2nd - 3rd round? makes u wonder? or do we, the fans, know more than them 3rd if hes there id grab him 

id give up 2 picks, the way i look at it is, we did a great job in free agency to hill all of our needs, IMO we could really use a G or pass rusher, id either want to trade up for an immediate starter or stay put at 24 where a possible starter could fall, im against trading back where our first pick would be in the 2nd where we would get a backup or borderline starter just to have more picks, if we want to win now we need impact players, or unless grigson sees something in some later round players then go for it,  but a bunch of rookies that wont start when we filled our holes to me is not worth it when we can get a talent in the first

So our 1st and 3rd for another team's first? That probably moves us up 5-6 places and leaves us with just 4 picks, right? That's just not worth it imo. And who would take that trade? Giants, Cowboys, Steelers? Probably not.

Especially when we can get a starter at guard in the early 2nd. Jones and Warford should both be there, among others. They'd almost definitely start ahead of McGlynn.

If we traded with Miami he could be our second pick.

i totally agree with this, if hes such a versatile beast as some ppl are alluding to, then why do the scouts wjo do this for a living have him late 2nd - 3rd round? makes u wonder? or do we, the fans, know more than them 3rd if hes there id grab him 

I think people are grading him there because they don't rate his versatility and intelligence as highly as I do and focus more on the fact that his play is currently average at both guard and centre.

I'm not saying they're wrong and I'm right, just that we have different opinions on the guy. My opinion is that taking him in the second wouldn't be a reach.

I think people are grading him there because they don't rate his versatility and intelligence as highly as I do and focus more on the fact that his play is currently average at both guard and centre.

I'm not saying they're wrong and I'm right, just that we have different opinions on the guy. My opinion is that taking him in the second wouldn't be a reach.

it depends where in the second round, late second yes, and it depends on whos on the board,  i wouldnt take him early in the second, and wouldnt want him to be our first pick, i keep seeing tony ugoh all over again in my mind lol

it depends where in the second round, late second yes, and it depends on whos on the board,  i wouldnt take him early in the second, and wouldnt want him to be our first pick, i keep seeing tony ugoh all over again in my mind lol

Trade our 1st and 4th to Miami for their two 2nds. We can draft BPA at OLB, WR or CB with the first pick and Jones with the second.

If we traded with Miami he could be our second pick.

I've now crunched the numbers and responded to your 1/4 for 2/2 with Miami deal that you proposed in another thread....

Hope I've been able to explain my reasons for not embracing the idea...

Props for outside the box thinking....   but I don't think it's a fit on a number of levels....

Trade our 1st and 4th to Miami for their two 2nds. We can draft BPA at OLB, WR or CB with the first pick and Jones with the second.

id be somewhat ok with that, except for the WR, but imo theres absolutely no way miami would do that, why wuld they need to trade up? the only ones i see moving up are ones needing a qb, and they would never give up 2 seconds for our late first and a late 4th

id be somewhat ok with that, except for the WR, but imo theres absolutely no way miami would do that, why wuld they need to trade up? the only ones i see moving up are ones needing a qb, and they would never give up 2 seconds for our late first and a late 4th

Because they need a cornerback. And the really good ones will be gone when they pick at 11 in the 2nd. With this trade, they could address their two major needs in the first round.

Because they need a cornerback. And the really good ones will be gone when they pick at 11 in the 2nd. With this trade, they could address their two major needs in the first round.

Why would Rhodes be gone before 11? I don't see a team that would take him.