Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vince Young throws at Texas pro day.

House

He threw for 30min after Vacarro and Okafor etc were through and the scouts that's were there for them stayed to watch Young go through a workout directed by Major Applewhite so he didn't really take away from anybody.

Also Pat White just recently did the samething at West Virginia pro day and caught the eye of Jim Harbaugh

He threw for 30min after Vacarro and Okafor etc were through and the scouts that's were there for them stayed to watch Young go through a workout directed by Major Applewhite so he didn't really take away from anybody.

Also Pat White just recently did the samething at West Virginia pro day and caught the eye of Jim Harbaugh

My point was that the story coming from the Texas pro day is all about Young. And not about the players lol.

That's my only gripe though. He's gotta do what he thinks is best for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153988/article/vince-young-dishes-some-details-after-texas-pro-day

I respect you House & I can appreciate your position. "I only dislike this because he's taking attention away from these young kids who may need all the hype they can get."

My take on Vince Young is different. Yes he acted immature, yes he was suicidal at 1 point, but he won a ton of games his rookie year in Tennessee for Jeff Fisher.

In 2006, "Young held the then NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback with 552, breaking the old record of 408 yards set by Bobby Douglass in 1969. It has since been broken by quarterbacks Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III respectively in 2011 and 2012. He won the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of The Year honors at the conclusion of the 2006 NFL campaign, becoming only the third quarterback to win the award, along with Dennis Shaw and Ben Roethlisberger....Of the rookie QB class of 2006, Vince Young has the best record as a starter, surpassing the only other three starting rookie QB's: Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, and Bruce Gradkowski. During the 2006 season, Vince Young led the Tennessee Titans to eight wins including six straight wins. He had a record of 8–5 as a starter. Of the wins, four of them were fourth quarter comebacks, including three straight fourth quarter comebacks." 

I will never forget that University of Texas vs USC in the 2006 BCS Natl. Championship Game/RoseBowl either....Vince was AWESOME!!!

I'm not saying Vince deserves a starting job in the NFL, but he's good enough to make a decent living as a backup QB IMO. This is the country of 2nd chances is it not? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153988/article/vince-young-dishes-some-details-after-texas-pro-day

I respect you House & I can appreciate your position. "I only dislike this because he's taking attention away from these young kids who may need all the hype they can get."

My take on Vince Young is different. Yes he acted immature, yes he was suicidal at 1 point, but he won a ton of games his rookie year in Tennessee for Jeff Fisher.

In 2006, "Young held the then NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback with 552, breaking the old record of 408 yards set by Bobby Douglass in 1969. It has since been broken by quarterbacks Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III respectively in 2011 and 2012. He won the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of The Year honors at the conclusion of the 2006 NFL campaign, becoming only the third quarterback to win the award, along with Dennis Shaw and Ben Roethlisberger....Of the rookie QB class of 2006, Vince Young has the best record as a starter, surpassing the only other three starting rookie QB's: Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, and Bruce Gradkowski. During the 2006 season, Vince Young led the Tennessee Titans to eight wins including six straight wins. He had a record of 8–5 as a starter. Of the wins, four of them were fourth quarter comebacks, including three straight fourth quarter comebacks."

I will never forget that University of Texas vs USC in the 2006 BCS Natl. Championship Game/RoseBowl either....Vince was AWESOME!!!

I'm not saying Vince deserves a starting job in the NFL, but he's good enough to make a decent living as a backup QB IMO. This is the country of 2nd chances is it not?

No doubt.

IMO I would have preferred him to do it like T.O. He held his own "pro day" and let him generate his own buzz.

My point was that the story coming from the Texas pro day is all about Young. And not about the players lol.

That's my only gripe though. He's gotta do what he thinks is best for him.

A valid point House. I can't argue with except to say this. Just how humiliating it must be for Vince Young to swallow his pride & basically acknowledge that GM's & HCs have written you off as damaged goods. Young is only doing this as a last ditch effort to salvage his NFL career & make a living. Vince should not have stated publicly that he wrote a letter apologizing to Fisher either because it looks desperate like you are begging for his sympathy vote. The letter means more to Jeff Fisher if it remains private & perhaps Fisher is then motivated to help Vince out IMO.

IMO I would have preferred him to do it like T.O. He held his own "pro day" and let him generate his own buzz.

Vince would make the argument that his career prospects are in shambles right now & he needs to go in front of a captive audience. He's not strong enough to generate his own buzz anymore & Mr. Young would be correct with that interpretation IMO. No one would show up otherwise just like TO. 

I guess the reason that I'd give him a 2nd shot in the NFL[Yes I know he was a backup QB in Buffalo briefly] is that Vince Young followed the illustrious career of Steve McNair in Tennessee. No easy task. Yes, Vince made mistakes, but come on so have I. I am sucker for personal redemption stories personally. Once you hit rock bottom, there's only 1 way to go: UP. A nice Pixar animated movie too. Just Kidding!!!

Good luck Vince! I hope that you have a fall back career position. I worry about guys that have played football since they were 5 & they have no idea how they will make money once the NFL says goodbye permanently. Sad really in a way...Yes I know, not ever athlete can be saved from economic decline & financial ruin...

Like QB Donovan McNabb said in that NFL Total Access clip, Oakland would be a good fit for Vince. Terrelle Pryor & Matt Leinart are your backups on that roster. Young is leaps & bounds above Pryor IMO. Andy Reid in KC had him in Philadelphia for a short while. Reach out to Andy for some suggestions perhaps.

I don't know...Call Tony Dungy...It worked wonders for Michael Vick & Vince didn't display any brutality toward an animal or person.

Does he think he can get drafted again? It doesn't work that way Vince..

More like getting out there and being on display for a team that is interested in the services of a backup QB.

If I was Arians, I'd give it some consideration in AZ.  The beauty of VY is that he comes with several years of experience, he's been broken enough to know what it takes to succeed in the NFL, and he won't cost anyone a draft pick.

He's just putting his talents on display in hopes that someone bites.

Without gravity would the ball ever really come down????

Lol good point. I think the aliens would intercept it anyway, so even if there was gravity up there it wouldn't come down regardless.

Why do people keep mentioning second chances with VY?  This would be his fourth chance by my count.

Oh... and since when does the moon lack gravity? ;)

the moon has 1/6th the gravity as on the earth... so the ball would just go really far before it came down

As much as people may disagree with me, I still think Jeff Fisher not helping Vince Young and not being on board 100% with him because he was more of a Bud Adams pick than Fisher's did hurt Young's development and maturity as a QB.

But with the new wave of mobile QBs being able to get it done from the pocket like Luck, RW, RG3 and Kaepernick thinking pass first has definitely left the likes of Vick and Young behind.

As much as people may disagree with me, I still think Jeff Fisher not helping Vince Young and not being on board 100% with him because he was more of a Bud Adams pick than Fisher's did hurt Young's development and maturity as a QB.

But with the new wave of mobile QBs being able to get it done from the pocket like Luck, RW, RG3 and Kaepernick thinking pass first has definitely left the likes of Vick and Young behind.

I think Andy Reid not being able to get through to him shows that he just doesn't have the right mentality to be a pro athlete to begin with.  There are exceptionally few coaches who are so good at working with QBs that also foster such an atmosphere that is both quite permissive and protective of players with attitude problems and/or questionable habits.  That's about the friendliest scenario he could have wound up in and he still underwhelmed and fell out of favor.

What is the issue with Vince Young and why can't he get a backup job?

I know he's a bust, but you would think he could backup someone in the NFL. 

I don't think he's all there in the head, and it seems NFL coaches have finally realized it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would sign Jamarcus Russell before I signed Vince Young.

Young has played on 3 teams and they all eventually didnt think he had a fufure

Russell has more ability and more time left

Are you serious? You'd take Jabba the Hutt over a Jeff Fisher spat? Please...You have GM & HC confirmation that Fisher, Reid, & Gailey thought Vince was done? I love how nobody asks Fisher what the Hades happened in Tennessee & all veteran NFL coaches are treated with kid gloves like they couldn't possibly do anything wrong. SMH...

What ability does Jamarcus have? Weight gain & throwing away millions? I would never touch Russel with a 200 ft pole. Lifting weights with Jeff Garcia doesn't make you a starting NFL QB. Long hours dissecting film & plays does.  I'd gladly give Vince another shot as a backup QB. He's fallen very far & he knows his legs can still win tight games.