Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade down for Ryan Swope?

Well....

If we're trading down,  we'd be getting multiple picks....   so, there are all sorts of players we could be getting.

But, I'd saying taking Swopes with our first overall pick (in the 2nd round)  is not something I would be comfortable with -- at all.

I'd be happier to trade down and take Warford.  

Then, we still need a pass rusher/CB/Safety/WR/RB....   and not necessarily in that order....

Trade back and lose out on a 1st round talent for a 2/3/6 as some people are suggesting which essentially just picking up a 3rd round pick because 6th round pick aren't coveted.

I don't like the idea of losing out on a 1st round talent just to pick up a 3rd round pick. We all know there is a big talent drop off from round 1 to round 2. And this thread is suggesting losing out on a 1st round talent for Ryan Swope? I don't think so ill keep my 1st round talent player

If we trade down for a receiver, it should be someone that has the potential to eventually take over Reggie's position. I am not sure that Swope would be that person.

What would Swope offer that either T.Y., Brazille, or Whalen currently does not offer?

If you mentioned someone like Hunter or K. Allen, then I could see the logic because of size and ability to play the outside, but with Swope, I'm not sure where he would be an upgrade.

I'm just going to outright say it.  Trading down in this draft is the wrong way to go.  It's a sheep mentality right now and everyone wants to trade down.  

You have to find a trading partner to trade down and if everyone wants to do that then you won't find that partner.  

And even if you do find a trading partner to trade down, then they may low ball you and give you very little.  And if you don't take their low ball offer they will go offer it to another team.  

Swope's got the size and explosiveness to play outside. It's also a better spot for him from a longevity standpoint. 

He's a 2nd round talent that's suffered from some of the laziest internet scouting I've ever seen. With this WR class, he may slip to the 3rd. But I don't see how he slips out of that given his production, experience in a pro style offense, and measurables.

Ok trade back from pick 24 to like pick 36-43. No way man I'm taking my first round talent rather than a player rated around 40th best in the draft. That's a big gap in talent there

Isn't there a 5th round HOF player in New England? Or an Undrafted RB making a name for himself in Houston? A player's career isn't predetermined by their draft pick, but their play. 

Isn't there a 5th round HOF player in New England? Or an Undrafted RB making a name for himself in Houston? A player's career isn't predetermined by their draft pick, but their play.

Yea I don't know what 5th round HOF NE has. Nobody predetermined anything.based on their college tape and people's analysis I said I'd take the first round talent over trading back from 24 and drafting around 36-41 just to pick up and extra 3rd and a not so coveted 6th

Yea I don't know what 5th round HOF NE has. Nobody predetermined anything. I said I'd take the first round talent over trading back and drafting around 36-41 just to pick up and extra 3rd and a not so coveted 6th

I get what you're saying, I do, I was just making the point that a first round draft pick doesn't always pan out. There's been plenty of First round/first overall busts in the league to say the talent will equal out to a great NFL career. Those extra picks help fill depth positions, and even possible starters. And my bad on the fifth, I meant to type 6th... Tom Brady. 

I get what you're saying, I do, I was just making the point that a first round draft pick doesn't always pan out. There's been plenty of First round/first overall busts in the league to say the talent will equal out to a great NFL career. Those extra picks help fill depth positions, and even possible starters. And my bad on the fifth, I meant to type 6th... Tom Brady.

There is more 1st round picks that pan out more than 3rd rounders and 2nd rounders...But there is no way I'm going to pass up Deandre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Rhodes, demontre moore, datone jones, justin hunter, trufant,Fluker to play guard Etc for a 2nd rounder in the 35-41 range (players to go in that range according to Walter Football are Justin Pugh, Warford,Jamar taylor, Zach Ertz,Darius Slay, Matt Elam), and a 3rd and 6th. I wouldn't do it others say they would. I'll take that 1st round talent

There is more 1st round picks that pan out more than 3rd rounders and 2nd rounders...But there is no way I'm going to pass up Deandre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Rhodes, demontre moore, datone jones, justin hunter, trufant Etc for a 2nd rounder in the 35-41 range and a 3rd and 6th. I wouldn't do it others say they would.

The talent is there in the first, we both agree. But if you notice the way Grigson is building the team, notice he's not out there spending a lot of money on big household names or hype (however free agency is questionable with the contracts he dished out). If he's half the guru we believe him to be, then why not allow him more picks to get more players? We still have plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball, and picking up more picks just makes sense. There's still decent quality in the 2nd and 3rd rounds IMO. 

The talent is there in the first, we both agree. But if you notice the way Grigson is building the team, notice he's not out there spending a lot of money on big household names or hype (however free agency is questionable with the contracts he dished out). If he's half the guru we believe him to be, then why not allow him more picks to get more players? We still have plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball, and picking up more picks just makes sense. There's still decent quality in the 2nd and 3rd rounds IMO.

Your picking up just one extra useful pick (i dont consider a 6th rounder that useful but you never know) to pass on the 1st round talent that would be there when we pick. I would stay put at 24 draft one of the best receivers in the draft or Demontre Moore or Rhodes/Trufant or Fluker for guard, than trade back and draft something like Justin Pugh and Cobi Hamilton or Jamar Taylor and Lemonier with the 2nd and 3rd you would get in the trade back. I would stay put that's just me

Indy just released one WR with concussion issues.... now you want to DRAFT another...

NO WAY.....

Ummm I just looked on CBS sports.com and the Aggies official athletic site and didn't see anything regarding concussions. And he played in 13 games last year and his junior year he set records. So apparently he's been healthy for the most part. And plus a number of receivers in this draft have some sort of Injury history like Allen and Hunter. Its a risk you have to weigh and take sometimes.

Ummm I just looked on CBS sports.com and the Aggies official athletic site and didn't see anything regarding concussions. And he played in 13 games last year and his junior year he set records. So apparently he's been healthy for the most part. And plus a number of receivers in this draft have some sort of Injury history like Allen and Hunter. Its a risk you have to weigh and take sometimes.

Just to be accurate Swope has had 4 concussions since being an aggie.

"Swope exited in the first quarter against Louisiana Tech after suffering his fourth concussion since coming to A&M."

http://m.aggiesports.com/mobile/blogs/from_the_press_box/article_ec80d0da-22c7-11e2-9523-0019bb2963f4.html

ummmm......  

check the vid...      I don't care to sit through these things anytime soon again.  

I love Swope as a player but if ANY player has a hint of concussion issues then you have to stay away.  IMO.

And Mayock is never wrong is he?      

http://thehotroute.com/video-of-ryan-swope-getting-concussion/

Buyer beware...   plenty more options out there.... 

Ok trade back from pick 24 to like pick 36-43. No way man I'm taking my first round talent rather than a player rated around 40th best in the draft. That's a big gap in talent there

There is not always a drop in talent level. Sometimes there are guys picked later that end up being a better player and more talented than guys picked in the first. Its not alot but it happens. And about a player being rated, who's to guarentee those ratings are accurate? They are just opinions and sometimes very accurate one but sometimes not accurate at all. The work on the field is what proves their value. And Swope is Very reliable receiver who is tough and he's a natural hands catcher.

Just to be accurate Swope has had 4 concussions since being an aggie.

"Swope exited in the first quarter against Louisiana Tech after suffering his fourth concussion since coming to A&M."

http://m.aggiesports.com/mobile/blogs/from_the_press_box/article_ec80d0da-22c7-11e2-9523-0019bb2963f4.html

Okay so he's had some but he's come right back and played and been productive.

There's no value in taking Swope in the 2nd round.

Does anything think he's worthy of being our first pick overall in the draft?

Even if you think he's Austin Collie II,  remember,  Collie was a 4th round pick.

So,  no.    No reason to take Swope in the 2nd round.

ummmm......

check the vid... I don't care to sit through these things anytime soon again.

I love Swope as a player but if ANY player has a hint of concussion issues then you have to stay away. IMO.

And Mayock is never wrong is he?

http://thehotroute.com/video-of-ryan-swope-getting-concussion/

Buyer beware... plenty more options out there....

Yeah you have to be cautious but there are alot of receivers out there with injury history. Like I said Allen and Hunter also Woods so its something you just have to weigh sometimes. Just gotta due your due dillagence as a staff. Also for me this is just a guy I would maybe consider in the fourth if we had not taken a reciever yet. But its really looking like that's what Irsay and Grigs are gonna do in the first. At least I hope so.

There's no value in taking Swope in the 2nd round.

Does anything think he's worthy of being our first pick overall in the draft?

Even if you think he's Austin Collie II,  remember,  Collie was a 4th round pick.

So,  no.    No reason to take Swope in the 2nd round.

A faster, more explosive Collie doesn't last until the 4th round, and neither will Swope. His range right now is 2nd-3rd round.

A faster, more explosive Collie doesn't last until the 4th round, and neither will Swope. His range right now is 2nd-3rd round.

For some teams, perhaps....    not for all teams...

And for all his explosiveness and playing on a tremendous offensive,  with a Heisman QB and a terrific OL and a good RB,  this great, explosive WR caught 40 pases for 399 yards.   10 yards a catch.

Something is no adding up.    There are many other WR's worthy of a 2nd pick that'd I'd be happy with.

Swope is not the kind of player who headlines your draft class.    He's a nice player,  but he's not that nice....  (imo)

For some teams, perhaps....    not for all teams...

And for all his explosiveness and playing on a tremendous offensive,  with a Heisman QB and a terrific OL and a good RB,  this great, explosive WR caught 40 pases for 399 yards.   10 yards a catch.

Something is no adding up.    There are many other WR's worthy of a 2nd pick that'd I'd be happy with.

Swope is not the kind of player who headlines your draft class.    He's a nice player,  but he's not that nice....  (imo)

You're right, something's not adding up. I'm not sure where you got those numbers from. His career stats are:

3117 yards

252 receptions

24 TD's

Ryan Swope had 72 rec, 913yrds and 8tds this year, 89 rec 1207yrds 11tds last year with Tannehill, and 72rec 825yrds 4tds in 2010

Interesting.....

Those are numbers I got from the NFL Network....    I don't know if they're receptions for when he's in the slot,  or when he's outside,  or if it's for 3rd down....   but those were numbers the network reported...

Apologies I can't give the context.     Thanks for the full set of numbers....    appreciate it....

Could we trade down for picks and pick up Ryan Swope in mid 2nd round?

Let's not. The kid has had many concussions in college. We already lost one good WR before his career even really got started due to concussions. Can't waste another pick on a clearly injury prone player. Too bad, he is good. But it's not worth it.