Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Man's look at the Moves that were made!

With many holes to fill, or even get better at, Ryan Grigson (et al) has done what not many GM's could pull off.............revamp a roster on the fly and return this franchise to its previous glory! Remember, most franchises realistically should take 2-3 years to churn the roster and be back on the road to success.....our front office has accomplished it in 1-2 years!

To a man, most posters/fans of the Colts identified  A LOT of weaknesses, or blemishes, on the roster that needed addressed.  Most would agree that going into this offseason the offensive line, and AT LEAST one upgrade at each level of the defense was required (i.e. DT or DE, OLB, CB, S). Entering free agency most of us were salivating at the opportunity to spend money on some big time talent..........but, that didn't exactly happen so their may have been some "buyers remorse" afterwards from some fans! Why, because we didn't sign Avril, or Kruger, or Reed, or Greg Jennings, or Long, etc., etc. etc.

Instead, the Front Office chose to spread the money out and hitting EVERY major need area with mid-level talent and players ready to enter their prime and emerge as solid starters! Before you throw me to the wolves, let's not forget that in football, more than any other professional sport it takes an ENTIRE team of solid starters to win...........not just two or three superstars - as we've painfully witnessed in the past in the playoffs and Superbowl! Not to mention that all of these contracts are easily escapable with minimal damage to the salary cap in the future if they do not perform to expectations!

So lets recap this free agency period, shall we:

Quarterback - The signing of Hasselbeck may seem like a wasted spot, given that he 'should' never see the field and Harnish showed some shred of ability last preseason, but, it will give us the ultimate insurance policy should Luck go down for a half, or a game.  Not to mention the experience he provides in preparation, the film room and in-game adjustments that last years back-up couldn't provide him.  Also, Arians was a great mento to his QB's and that presence will be missed, however, the hope is that Hasselbeck could help replace some of that direct leadership/guidance he received from Arians!

Widereceiver -  Much has been posted, tweeted and blogged about adding a "wopper" of a receiver to the squad and no action has been made yet.  However, after giving this some thought, I firmly believe that whomever it is they are probably still on their rookie contract and thus could fit under our current salary cap.  There are several possibilities available but only a few that would stand out as a "wopper" to me............Maclin, Nicks, LaFell, and Decker come to mind as being expendable/tradeable due to salary cap numbers for other players on their current rosters at the same position.

Offensive Line - Cherilus is a solid tackle that will help bolster the line, play every snap and provide Luck with protection, after all, most everyone wanted Justice gone as Linkenbach/Sowell saw the field entirely too much last year.  Stability at the LT (Castonzo) and RT (Cherilus) will be paramount to our success moving forward and provide Luck with more time to throw.  Like wise, the Thomas signing at OG is hug as well..........he comes to us as a player on the rise that played for and started some games on a very good line in New England (where Brady has time to throw consistently).  He offers the versatality to play either Guard spot so no matter what the interior of the line has improved as well.  With his addition the other Guard spot goes up for grabs between about 6-7 men that will have to earn it - thus making that position better thru competition! Not to mention, we still have the draft to potentially add an impact OG thru as well.

Defensive Line - Between the signing of Francois (DE), Franklin (DT) and the re-signing of Moala (DE) this defensive front has improved tremendously.  Francois is one of those guys that has been stuck behind very talented players and we will be the benefactor of him turning into a very solid starter. Moala, for as much maligned as he was in the 4-3 DT position, was playing a key role in the 3-4 as a DE..........between Moala, Nevis, Guy, Geathers and Mathews there will be a battle to be the depth behind Redding and Francois - and that ladies and gentleman will only make us better! Now the Franklin (DT) signing sounds to me like an insurance policy (much like Hasselbeck) for the injured Chapman and McKinney.  Franklin immediately comes in as the best DT and would start from day 1, in my opinion, allowing Chapman (if he's as good as advertised) to ease into the rotation without having to be "the man".  Tevaseu and McKinney provide solid (if unspectacular) depth behind them.  Again, same as offensive line, we could add a potential impact DL in the draft as well.

Linebackers - The two additions of Walden and Sidbury, while unpopular by most make pretty good sense to me.  I know that I am the minority in saying this, but, a starting OLB tandem of Walden/Hughes on the strong side and Mathis as the 'Rush' is better in the overall scheme than that of Freeney/Mathis!  Looking past the names and homerism for just a second I will explain...........both Mathis (to a lesser degree) and Freeney SUCKED at doing anything but rushing the passer in the new 3-4 we deployed last year!  I say again, they were not very good at setting an edge (i.e. contain), dropping into a zone or even covering a RB/FB/TE in a pass pattern.  I will admit that I don't know anything about Sidbury, but, living in Iowa I have watched my fair share of Packers games, and Walden is a natural fit at the strong side OLB position and the defense WILL play more effectively by NOT having to cover up Mathis and Freeney's skill set flaws (in regards to the 3-4)!  Mathis can play the Suggs role and get after the QB more effectively, Walden/Hughes can play the strong side more effectively and our inside line backers and safeties won't HVAE to cover RB's/FB's/TE's all the time now thus creating more opprtunity for those players to play a more natural fit in the system as well.  Its a ripple effect that will be seen throughout the entire defense!  Now, having said that, the FO is banking on Walden stepping out of Clay Matthews shadow and into the starters role and contribute and Sidbury, well he was signed as a 'boom or bust' kind of project - he has all the measurables, but can a new coaching staff help him translate that potential into production? And again, there is always the opportunity to add a potential impact player in the draft!

Cornerback - The addition of Toler and the re-signing of both Butler and Vaughn have done two things, one of which is stability (Butler and Vaughn) and the other is the influx of another solid starter with good size, speed, man skils and tackling ability (Toler) to pair up with Davis on the outside.  Is Toler a shutdown corner, no, but what he does provide is the same 'type' of skillset as Davis - which gives our passrush another second or two to hurry/knockdown/sack the QB! Our secondary is vastly improved and it pushes Butler and Vaughn (both former starters) into the nickel and dime positions which also plays into their strengths much better as well.  As with all other positions, we could always draft an impact player this year as well.

Safety - Ahhhh the last level of defense..........with the signing of Landry we have added a true impact player, albeit a risky one due to a two year window of injuries while with the Redskins.  Landry will help the defense on many levels honestly, he can play the 'eraser' role that one DPOY Bob Sanders used to play down in the box which will help stop the short passing game AND help against the run while at the same time allowing Bethea to play the 'Centerfield' position that suited him a bit better earlier in his career.  Again, as with all other positions, an impact player can very well be drafted this year to add depth!

All in all these moves were made to create a better balance throughout the entire defense and allow the system to run properly instead of being handicapped by players that weren't drafted to play in it.........or didn't have the requisite skil set to play it properly!  Additionally, it will allow the FO to maintain the BPA draft strategy and add players based off of talent versus need!  Are the Colts a better overall team going into the draft versus the team that got beat by the Ravens, absolutely, will they have a better record next year, possibly.  The 2013 Colts will be a much improved team even if the record does not reflect it (due to a harder schedule) in year two of the new regime.  Good things are on the horizon folks, you need to embrace this more balanced team just as you did the unbalanced high flying circus team we had previously! 

Just my .02!

I just wanted to say this is a well thought out post, and also well written.  Nice job Franchise. :thmup:

I am going on record as saying I support all of the moves that have been made so far.....well sorry except for Cassius Vaughn.  I am fine letting him fight his way onto the roster after all the dust has settled and we put on the pads.  :rawr:

No matter what Grigson did or does, some will find something wrong with it.  Walden was 'awful.'  Who is Sidbury?  Why in the world Donald Thomas over Levitre and Vasquez?  Oh....he had turf toe twice...he had a bad combine 4 years ago....statistics prove.......NOTHING.  Grigson watches film.... film....and more film.... :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

Grigson has made solid moves, and we finish up the FA process and head to the draft and the  UFA arena...where Grigson shines the brightest....Just ask Jerrell Freeman!  :)  I cannot wait for the draft....the debates....and the fun...Go Colts! :coltslogo:

I agree with both of you ,ive been estatic at what theyve done in FA ,rather than putting all the eggs in one basket,they spread it around.I do not doubt Pags and Grigs ability to spot talent,and especially when it comes to the sytem they play,i cant wait for the Draft ,Training camp, and Preseason,so I can see how this plays out.Some think we have a glut of DL,but lets not forget injuries in training camp,they always happen ,and with Pags you get after it in camp

No doubt Grigson decided to play more of a risk/reward game that allows him more chances (players) over the proven but pricey.  If most of those hit, it will matter not that they likely got a FA pay boost before they trult earned it.  Grigson so far has had an eye and been right on his selections. If he hits on all or most of these, Colts will be a force to be reckoned with.

I really hope every guy pans out.  Chances are 1 or more won't .  But let's see. Grigson is new to this, but he might be re-defining the "reloading" term to a new high.  

It's obvious what Pagano felt he needed to fix and its been his goal since he stepped through the door. And that is Stopping The Run. We got gashed every week in the run game besides one Jags game and one titans game. He brought in Francios, Walden , Franklin, Landry to do just that Stop the Run. Stopping the run and protecting Luck was the main focus of this free agency. They wasn't too worried about pass rushers this free agency probably focus on that in the draft somewhere. But what Pagano/Grigson thought our biggest weakness is Stopping The Run and that's what they focused on, and by our job of stopping the run this past year who can blame them

Thank you guys, I did put some thought into this and I see the 'BIG' picture that they are trying to accomplish..........stock your roster with 'solid' contributors thru free agancy and find your superstars at the top of the draft and your depth in the back end of the draft and undrafted rookies.

Based off the structure of this roster (post free agency) they have truly left themselves the option to draft ANY player that will increase depth and/or become a starter as a rookie. With that #24 pick the FO could add a starter at WR, OG, CB or even OLB and still have 5 more picks to add depth to all the other positions!

I would be happy with any of those spots being addressed, however, IF I WERE the FO I would look for Reggie Wayne's successor in this draft with the #24 pick. After all, he was the #30 pick when we picked him in 2001 so I am confident that they could find a similar skill set receiver that can play the other side and learn from him for two more years!

The way I see the Colts actions in FA is that they identified a lesser-known player and paid certainly more than people thought they deserved, as they weren't looking for much competition for a player (the so called "bidding war" that was supposed to happen between Indi and Cleveland for Kruger). Frankly, it doesn't seem all that bad, quick and dirty, grab a player, show him a lot of cash and sign him quickly.

While I have not been as excited as many or in agreement with every player that we have brought aboard, I look forward to the new year to see what these new additions can do, My expectations are extremely tempered with them but hope to be pleasantly surprised and made to eat plenty of crow 

Absolutely Gavin, nobody has to love the signings, just understand them! The concept was simple, fill as many holes as possible with veterans that have shown potential to be starters, or veterans that have been starters and look for your next superstar in the draft! All of them have proven 'capable' of playing the position they were signed to play (with the exception of Sidbury) and all of them seemingly fit into the 'scheme' better than the men thye are replacing, so to speak.  I am excited to see what they can do when given the chance to play in Pagano/Manusky's 3-4 scheme!

An interesting sidenote, both Sidbury and Toler were scouted by Grigson at the same pro day leading up to the 2009 draft and he used the same tactic with them as he did with Darius Butler (whom he also scouted).........showed them his scouting report and challenged them to be the player that he scouted (and presumably recommended for drafting) in 2009.  Very interesting idea I thought. 

While I have not been as excited as many or in agreement with every player that we have brought aboard, I look forward to the new year to see what these new additions can do, My expectations are extremely tempered with them but hope to be pleasantly surprised and made to eat plenty of crow 

While I still beleive the "wopper" receiver that has been batted around was probably Maclin (19th choice in the 1st Round by the Eagles in 09), it's interesting to note that Butler, Sidbury and Toler were all scouted by Grigson while with the Eagles and now they are Colts.  One would ask if he liked them so much why weren't they drafted by the Eagles then.........

Well, looking back to that draft Butler was selected by the Patriots with the 41st pick in the draft (2nd Round), which the Eagles chose McCoy at #53........so they chose a franchise back over the corner (largely due to having a couple solid options on the roster already and a greater need for McCoy).

Both Sidbury (#125) and Toler (#131) were drafted in the 4th Round........the Eagles had no 3rd or 4th Round picks that year (due to trading up to snag Maclin and another trade as I recall), so they never got a chance to draft either one as they were gone by the time the 5th Round came around!

So Grigson has saved all of his notes, film, and scouting reports from his days as a scout and is using that knowledge now to find those mid-level talents, diamonds in the rough and/or talented guys that are ready to be starters!?