Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GREAT Way To Start The Day

...other than (of course) reading *edit*.

From PFT -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/wes-welkers-camp-says-patriots-approach-was-take-it-or-leave-it/#comments

Love to see the Patriots* way on display. What a cheap & shabby affair...

"Responding to Patriots* owner Robert Kraft’s statement that Welker’s “agents misrepresented, in their mind, what his market value was,” Welker’s agents at Athletes First have released a statement to Albert Breer of NFL Network, saying that there was no negotiating with New England because the Patriots* were only interested in telling Welker to take what they were offering and like it.

“The Patriots* made one offer to Wes Welker since the prior negotiations ended in July 2012,” Athletes First said in the statement. “Both sides also agree that this two-year offer came just hours before the start of free agency despite discussions that began at the NFL Combine. Moreover, this lone offer was presented as a ‘take it or leave it offer.’ When we asked if there was room for structural changes, we were told no. We made a counter-offer for the same term and same maximum dollar amount as their offer and it was rejected. We inquired if any of the offer’s components were negotiable and were told no. This refusal to actually negotiate made it easy to reject the Patriots* offer. Nevertheless, when we received the Denver Broncos’ offer, Wes personally talked to Mr. Kraft to give the Patriots* the opportunity to match it. The Patriots* rejected this opportunity and Wes signed with the Denver Broncos.”

...other than (of course) reading *edit*.

From PFT -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/wes-welkers-camp-says-patriots-approach-was-take-it-or-leave-it/#comments

Love to see the Patriots* way on display. What a cheap & shabby affair...

There are always two sides to every story.... People believe what they choose to believe.  I choose to believe Welker's side of the story. 

I'm thinking that the Pats knew exactly what they were doing.  They knew that they were gonna grab Amendola from FA and possible sign another guy or draft a WR in the 1st.  The only reason why I think they knew that they were going to lose Welker to another team and sign a free agent to replace him is because they are evil geniuses.  I also believe that their owner, Kraft, doesn't want to seem like the bad guy so he's not giving the media too many details about the situation.  Doesn't surprise me that Welker's side of the story is what it is.  Remember, the Pats are evil geniuses after all.

Welker got the franchise tag last year and played for roughly $9.5 Mill for 2012.

I don't see how they could offer $10 MIll for 2-years and not expect that the offer wouldn't se viewed as incredibly insulting.

Their argument would be they offered $6 mill more in incentives...    but Welker's side has sad they thought the incentives were likely not reachable....

So,  Brady's favorite target,  their proclaimed #1 off-season priority is now with another team.

Not a good way to do business.......

Welker got the franchise tag last year and played for roughly $9.5 Mill for 2012.

I don't see how they could offer $10 MIll for 2-years and not expect that the offer wouldn't se viewed as incredibly insulting.

Their argument would be they offered $6 mill more in incentives...    but Welker's side has sad they thought the incentives were likely not reachable....

So,  Brady's favorite target,  their proclaimed #1 off-season priority is now with another team.

I think they wanted to get rid of him and go younger.  But he's a fan favorite so they had to make some sort of offer that sounds reasonable but one they knew he wouldn't accept.  

So they did what they could to look like they where interested in bringing him back, then he doesn't accept their offer and signs with the Broncos.  Then a short time later they have Amendola signing on the dotted line.

They knew what they where doing and things went pretty much how the Pat's planned them.  

I thought it was pretty good business. It's silly to pay Welker for things he's done in the past. Kind of like making Flacco the highest paid quarterback. Anyone think the Ravens will get to the superbowl again within his contract years? 

I thought it was pretty good business. It's silly to pay Welker for things he's done in the past. Kind of like making Flacco the highest paid quarterback. Anyone think the Ravens will get to the superbowl again within his contract years? 

I don't have a problem if you think Welker's best days are behind him and you want to move on to someone better and younger.

That's the dark side of football.    I get that.

I just don't think the way they handled it was a good way.   Don't make an insulting offer and then act like you're surprised that the offer was received as insulting.   Then, don't insult the players representatives,  who, by the way,  represent 6 or 7 OTHER Patriots players....     now you've turned it into a food fight.

You could've simply had a clean break and gone separate ways.   Instead it's messy and ugly and bitter.

That's what I mean by a bad way to do business.