Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fiery vs. Steady

Leaf

I'm not necessarily against bringing in proven players like Hasselbeck to take certain roles on the team, but I suppose I just generally don't like the idea of anyone signing with the team to settle in as a backup quarterback and not look for more than that. I understand that this is Andrew Luck we're talking about and it would take something outlandish to dethrone him as our starter, but I like the idea of having a young unproven guy like Harnish behind him, pushing him, and if he ever got the chance to play, would feel a sense of urgency and play with the fire to prove himself to the Colts or potential future suitors. As ironic as it sounds, I don't feel comfortable with trying to be comfortable. We played with a fire under our feet all year last year with unproven guys like Darius Butler playing with intensity. It's what made the team so exciting to watch last year, not to mention helping us rack up enough wins to have one of the most dramatic turnarounds in NFL history. I'm excited to see signings like Erik Walden and Donald Thomas, so they can play to silence any doubters and show they belong. I want to see that from everyone on the team, always creating competition and innovation in the game. I don't want our team to lose that.

In a million years,  Chanlder Harnisch is never going to push Andrew Luck.

Andrew is not going to be made better because he's pushing himself to make sure he holds on to his job because of the talent that Harnisch brings.     Sorry,  but that's not the case.

A year or two from now, Harnisch maybe able to step in for Luck for a game if two, if Andrew gets hurt and play well and maybe even win a game.    But he's not ready to do that now.

That's why the need for a quality back-up.    We're a play-off caliber team.   We need a back-up that can come in and win games.   Hasselback can do that.   Harnisch can't.   At least,  not yet.

Andrew is not going to be made better because he's pushing himself to make sure he holds on to his job because of the talent that Harnisch brings.     Sorry,  but that's not the case.

A year or two from now, Harnisch maybe able to step in for Luck for a game if two, if Andrew gets hurt and play well and maybe even win a game.    But he's not ready to do that now.

That's why the need for a quality back-up.    We're a play-off caliber team.   We need a back-up that can come in and win games.   Hasselback can do that.   Harnisch can't.   At least,  not yet.

You're never quite sure what you have in a backup quarterback until you're forced to find out. It's the scariest thing about backup quarterbacks, but many times in history, it's been a pleasant surprise.

I'm not suggesting Harnish is the next Kurt Warner, or even the next TJ Yates. But I can't bring myself to simply write him off as an option, if he should have to perform. He did everything he was asked to do last year in camp and preseason. He looked good enough to be QB2 back then.

I'd rather have Hasselbeck, for sure. Don't get me wrong.

In a million years, Chanlder Harnisch is never going to push Andrew Luck.

Andrew is not going to be made better because he's pushing himself to make sure he holds on to his job because of the talent that Harnisch brings. Sorry, but that's not the case.

A year or two from now, Harnisch maybe able to step in for Luck for a game if two, if Andrew gets hurt and play well and maybe even win a game. But he's not ready to do that now.

That's why the need for a quality back-up. We're a play-off caliber team. We need a back-up that can come in and win games. Hasselback can do that. Harnisch can't. At least, not yet.

To be fair, Hasselbeck isn't going to push him either.

And how do we know he can't step in and win games if we haven't seen him step in. What I do know is that if (heaven forbid) Luck goes down for a couple of games, I would be excited to see Harnish jump into the spotlight, eager to shine and with Hasselbeck, I probably wouldn't be as into the game. We know what Hasselbeck can do. He's 37. He's not going to prove anything to us. His potential is capped and reached while Harnish could be ready to spring out of his box.

You're never quite sure what you have in a backup quarterback until you're forced to find out. It's the scariest thing about backup quarterbacks, but many times in history, it's been a pleasant surprise.

I'm not suggesting Harnish is the next Kurt Warner, or even the next TJ Yates. But I can't bring myself to simply write him off as an option, if he should have to perform. He did everything he was asked to do last year in camp and preseason. He looked good enough to be QB2 back then.

I'd rather have Hasselbeck, for sure. Don't get me wrong.

The only thing with Yates....   he was 3rd string and not 2nd.   And he wasn't needed until very late in the season.   No time to bring in someone else at that point.   1st and 2nd string went down.

People here in favor of Harnisch as the back-up are jumping him from 3rd string to 2nd string based only on (A) pre-season games, and (B)  coming in late against 3rd string competition. 

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's enough to judge his ability.

I'm not ruling the kid out as a back-up in the long-term...   only the short-term....  likely, this year.    He needs more time, and the Colts need a more sure thing as a back-up.

The only thing with Yates....   he was 3rd string and not 2nd.   And he wasn't needed until very late in the season.   No time to bring in someone else at that point.   1st and 2nd string went down.

People here in favor of Harnisch as the back-up are jumping him from 3rd string to 2nd string based only on (A) pre-season games, and (B)  coming in late against 3rd string competition. 

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's enough to judge his ability.

I'm not ruling the kid out as a back-up in the long-term...   only the short-term....  likely, this year.    He needs more time, and the Colts need a more sure thing as a back-up.

I completely get from you're coming from and I respect your pinion on this, because there are undoubtedly perks that come with having a proven backup. 

I suppose I'm just more excited for emergence than I am scared of failure. I like the risk, and I like the excitement.

To be fair, Hasselbeck isn't going to push him either.

And how do we know he can't step in and win games if we haven't seen him step in. What I do know is that if (heaven forbid) Luck goes down for a couple of games, I would be excited to see Harnish jump into the spotlight, eager to shine and with Hasselbeck, I probably wouldn't be as into the game. We know what Hasselbeck can do. He's 37. He's not going to prove anything to us. His potential is capped and reached while Harnish could be ready to spring out of his box.

What we know about Hasselback he's that not only has he been a quality starter in the NFL,  he's also been a quality back-up in the NFL.    He has succeeded at both.    He can come in on no notice and win games.

If we're serious about being a playoff contender,  we can't afford to audition Harnisch as the back-up....  if Chandler has to come in for a regular season game, and he's not up to speed....  then we're going to lose any game that Luck can't play or finish.    A playoff contender can't afford that.

Don't get me wrong....   I want to keep Harnisch on the roster for another year.   I hope he'll be ready to be the back-up in 2014.

But Hasselback is the perfect insurance for 2013.    I'm not guaranteeing that he'll win games if he has to play,  I'm only saying he gives us a much, much better chance than Harnisch does.

That's all I'm saying.....

I'm probably biased seeing as he and Josh Chapman are the only 2 Colts I've ever met. Practice squad players can be snatched up at a moments notice and I guess I'm just wary of taking the risk if we can't fit him on the 53-man roster. 

Plus I find "Hasselbeck Holds Down the Fort" much less interesting than "Mr. Irrelevant becomes Mr. Relevant" haha

That's what the Bledsoe fans said.

I think Matt will be more fiery. He can be a great mentor for Andrew. I don't think he is content to sit, rather, he is taking what he can get. I think that is why we got him, he's not going to go to the media when Andrew has a 3-4 int game, and say "I should be the starter."

Matt really doesn't have all that good of numbers, especially since 2008

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HassMa00.htm

Jeff Garcia was a similar player-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarcJe00.htm

maybe better at times and yet was totally washed up when he hit 38 years old like Matt soon will.

Truth be told, I don't like either guys numbers.  Yet Garcia was 4 time probowl when younger, and Hasselbeck 3 time earlier in his career.  Wonder if Luck's numbers dwindle down to those type numbers. I hope Pep's O can run the ball this year if so...

In a million years, Chanlder Harnisch is never going to push Andrew Luck.

Andrew is not going to be made better because he's pushing himself to make sure he holds on to his job because of the talent that Harnisch brings. Sorry, but that's not the case.

A year or two from now, Harnisch maybe able to step in for Luck for a game if two, if Andrew gets hurt and play well and maybe even win a game. But he's not ready to do that now.

That's why the need for a quality back-up. We're a play-off caliber team. We need a back-up that can come in and win games. Hasselback can do that. Harnisch can't. At least, not yet.

so is it not in a million years, or in a year or two? I'm confused

so is it not in a million years, or in a year or two? I'm confused

Whenever the times comes,  if/when Harnisch is our back-up, ***NO*** he's not going to push Andrew Luck,  which is what a poster had said he wanted. (he wanted Harnisch as the back-up because he's young and up and coming and will push Luck to be his best)

Andrew is not going to have to worry that he's off his game, Harnisch is right there behind him and the coaches won't hesitate to put him in.     An off-the-top-of-his-form Andrew Luck is still far, far better than an up and coming Chandler Harnisch.

So,  it's a million years....   (maybe even a million and one!)

I love the whole experience thing getting brought up over and over again.  And then again, and then again.

We had several key contributors last year who had NO NFL experience:

1) Luck

2) Ballard

3) Hilton

4) Freeman

5) Allen

Every single one of those guys did a bang up job.  Harnish will never get experience if we continue to use EXPERIENCE as a reason to not use him as a backup.  Luck would have never started had we used that excuse on him.  Same with anyone who has ever been signed to a roster in the NFL.

We had the same problem with Painter, and, unfortunately, he didn't turn out like Cassel did for the Patriots.  Sometimes that happens.  But, I can get the idea of what the op is going after here.  Hasselbeck is duty bound to back up Luck, and there is very little left for him to prove in the NFL.  Harnish has his whole career ahead of him.  He'd have a bit more fire to make the best of any opportunity given to him, whereas Hasselbeck would simply be earning a pay check.

I don't mind the Hasselbeck signing, and it could help if we do lose Luck at some point.  But I do think we could've gone without it. Especially at 2yrs/8million according to the Star.

Whenever the times comes,  if/when Harnisch is our back-up, ***NO*** he's not going to push Andrew Luck,  which is what a poster had said he wanted. (he wanted Harnisch as the back-up because he's young and up and coming and will push Luck to be his best)

Andrew is not going to have to worry that he's off his game, Harnisch is right there behind him and the coaches won't hesitate to put him in.     An off-the-top-of-his-form Andrew Luck is still far, far better than an up and coming Chandler Harnisch.

So,  it's a million years....   (maybe even a million and one!)

I think you're missing the point.  No one will raise question as to whether Luck starts or not, only he can do that.

On the flip side, we've brought in a veteran who is presumably content being a backup.  Vs. a 1 year player who likely wants a shot at some point to start in this league.  Who do you want as your #2 QB?  Someone who is content, or someone who wants a chance at success?

Maybe our organization has learned to not fall into another "Painter-like" situation.  Hasselbeck can calmly and confidently step in if our #1 goes down.  I don't want to have another season like the one we had 2 years ago.  I think it is a smart, and sound move.  Hasselback will also bring some post-season experience which will help if something were to happen in the post-season.  I am not saying Harnish could NOT do the job. I am just saying that with what we know, Hasselback is probably more likely to be able to play in the spotlight, and not make mistakes.

I think you're missing the point.  No one will raise question as to whether Luck starts or not, only he can do that.

On the flip side, we've brought in a veteran who is presumably content being a backup.  Vs. a 1 year player who likely wants a shot at some point to start in this league.  Who do you want as your #2 QB?  Someone who is content, or someone who wants a chance at success?

I want the person who is most capable of winning.    Content or not.    And considering the Colts just put $8 Mill over 2 years on the table,  I think they just answered that question.......

That said,  wouldn't be the first time I missed someone's point! :giveup:

I want the person who is most capable of winning.    Content or not.    And considering the Colts just put $8 Mill over 2 years on the table,  I think they just answered that question.......

That said,  wouldn't be the first time I missed someone's point! :giveup:

And that's the only optimism I get from this signing.  I personally don't feel like Hasselbeck has "it" any more.  I'd have rather seen Fitzpatrick or Campbell, as they at least have some marginal upside left.

Personally, I'd like to think that we could eventually find a backup that does something similar to Matt Cassell that we could parlay into a 3rd round or better draft choice.

And that's the only optimism I get from this signing.  I personally don't feel like Hasselbeck has "it" any more.  I'd have rather seen Fitzpatrick or Campbell, as they at least have some marginal upside left.

Personally, I'd like to think that we could eventually find a backup that does something similar to Matt Cassell that we could parlay into a 3rd round or better draft choice.

First of all, it would take Luck being hurt for that to happen. Secondly, I think those days are over, given the new rookie wage scale and how pro-ready quarterback prospects are. Russell Wilson in the third round, then beating out Matt Flynn, really emboldens GMs and coaches to roll with what they have. JMO

First of all, it would take Luck being hurt for that to happen. Secondly, I think those days are over, given the new rookie wage scale and how pro-ready quarterback prospects are. Russell Wilson in the third round, then beating out Matt Flynn, really emboldens GMs and coaches to roll with what they have. JMO

Well there might be some truth to that, there was still talk of teams going after Ryan Mallett despite having very little tape to go off of.  Thing is, with Hasselbeck, all we have is an experienced vet with nothing to really gain.  With a rookie, we could potentially parlay them into a draft pick should someone value them as a starter.

There was also talk of the Redskins parting with their OC (if he were to be hired as a head coach) and backup QB Cousins as a "package" deal.  That talk has quickly subsided due to RG3's knee, but the point is, a young guy is going to have more suitors than a 37/38 year old backup.  Those suitors could give you good/great compensation if they think he is valuable.  

Had we had Stanton locked to a 2-3 year deal, and Arians saw him as a starter, it is possible we could've gained a 4th or 5th round pick.  None of this type of thing is possible with Hasselbeck.  Granted, he's an insurance policy only, but I'd like to think there is a lot to gain from a promising young player who can be traded if he shines in a time of woe.