Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Irsay the smartest football man in the business?

theanarchist

The whole Jim Irsay deal about overruling Polian about trading Manning in 2004, may or may not be true, but it sounds eerily familar to Jerry Jones dissing Jimmy Johnson as he was walking out the door. We've seen it before with Jerry Jones, Al Davis, or even Art Modell. When the owner starts to think he's the prime mover, and listens to his football people less, that is when it spells trouble. Not saying this is what happened, but it would be a cause for concern.

I would give Irsay more credit for letting Manning go, and picking up Luck, if Manning's neck issue wasn't there. Denver should have been in the Super Bowl this year, which would have had more people second guessing Irsay's decision on this one. Ten years as a failed GM, 2 Super bowl appearances and 1 title in fourty years, does not make for the best in the business. Is he a quirky, fun-loving guy who has been successful since 1999 with Polian and Manning ? The answer is yes. The Colts and Luck played a weaker schedule last year, so Irsay's recent legacy depends on the further progress of Luck and the Colts, and also the contrast between Manning and the Broncos.

i couldn't agree more!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay is the smartest owner in football and it's not even close. No team has won more then the colts since he's been the owner. He also learned a lot from his dad mistakes in the past and he's always good with the media. He's about the only owner that enjoys twitter that says a lot about how much he cares about colts fans and how passionate he is about winning.

the title of this thread is "smartest man in the football business"

most posters have posted in this thread think he is (go colts is wrong about this). this is probably because most posters are young and only really understand the manning era. there is nothing wrong with that.

before i get accused of hating the irsays because they moved from baltimore, i have been a colts fan for 40 years and the first 30 was when i lived in pa and nj. the colts could move to china for all i care, and i would still be a fan.

i completely agree with all of old crow's posts. he's not hating irsay, just pointing out reasons why he thinks irsay isn't the smartest man in the football business. go colts has also said irsay isn't the smartest man in the football business. why the argument?? start a thread on being the best owner and debate that. that's a completely different topic.

Irsay is the smartest owner in football and it's not even close. No team has won more then the colts since he's been the owner. He also learned a lot from his dad mistakes in the past and he's always good with the media. He's about the only owner that enjoys twitter that says a lot about how much he cares about colts fans and how passionate he is about winning.

Since 1997 three other teams have won more than the Colts.

Wins_zps0c31e978.png

You would like me to say that because I don't like the Irsay family, this is the reason I don't think he's the smasrtest man in the business. Just look at the facts, and leave the emotion out of it.

This thread has changed (as threads do on forums) from a question of if he is the smartest man in the business to one of well he isn't the best mind in the business but he is one of the better owners in football.  On the first page alone there are several quotes that show that change.

"We have the best Owner/GM Combo in the League"

"If he is, it is because he is smart enough to realize he is not the smartest football man in the business. Irsay is smart enough to leave evaluation and personnel moves to better football minds."

"Owners don't need to BE good football men....they just need to be able to recognize them"

"One of the best owners for sure."

"I don't know if he is the smartest man in the business but I think he is one of the best owners in the league."

To me that told me Posters we agree he isn't the smartest football mind in the business but he is one of the better Owners in the league.  You have tried several times to argue that point either by trying to say he wasn't a good owner because of his track record as GM, or because of what his dad did, or because he had Polian and Manning and try to pretend like he had nothing to do with that.  You also just dismiss the fact that of the four years he hasn't had Manning (95, 96, 97 and 2012) his teams were in the playoffs three of them.  Then you went you on to say he isn't even in the same class as several other Owners in the league that he is in the same class as.  Would you care to tell me why you are trying so hard to discredit Irsay as a good owner?  Like I have said before I told you the only reason I can think of but if that isn't the reason I am all ears to hear why you are trying so hard to say he isn't one of the better Owners in the league. 

Again, based on the quotes I showed you above I think a lot of posters and conceding the point that he isn't the smartest mind in Football (as am I just for the record) but he is one of the better owners in football. 

This thread has changed (as threads do on forums) from a question of if he is the smartest man in the business to one of well he isn't the best mind in the business but he is one of the better owners in football.  On the first page alone there are several quotes that show that change.

"We have the best Owner/GM Combo in the League"

"If he is, it is because he is smart enough to realize he is not the smartest football man in the business. Irsay is smart enough to leave evaluation and personnel moves to better football minds."

"Owners don't need to BE good football men....they just need to be able to recognize them"

"One of the best owners for sure."

"I don't know if he is the smartest man in the business but I think he is one of the best owners in the league."

To me that told me Posters we agree he isn't the smartest football mind in the business but he is one of the better Owners in the league.  You have tried several times to argue that point either by trying to say he wasn't a good owner because of his track record as GM, or because of what his dad did, or because he had Polian and Manning and try to pretend like he had nothing to do with that.  You also just dismiss the fact that of the four years he hasn't had Manning (95, 96, 97 and 2012) his teams were in the playoffs three of them.  Then you went you on to say he isn't even in the same class as several other Owners in the league that he is in the same class as.  Would you care to tell me why you are trying so hard to discredit Irsay as a good owner?  Like I have said before I told you the only reason I can think of but if that isn't the reason I am all ears to hear why you are trying so hard to say he isn't one of the better Owners in the league. 

Again, based on the quotes I showed you above I think a lot of posters and conceding the point that he isn't the smartest mind in Football (as am I just for the record) but he is one of the better owners in football. 

I think these are the points most people agree upon:

1. He isn't the smartest man in the football business.

2. Jim Irsay has become a good owner, which in all fairness ranks him in the top 10. My opinion is he's between 5 and 10.

3. I'm not trying to discredit him, but I just don't believe he's the smartest or should rank as the greatest owner in the business currently, but he is moving up the ladder.

These are some other points I tried to convey. I understand that winning alot of regular season games , getting to the playoffs many years , 2 AFC Championships, and 1 Super Bowl is very good, but unfortunately to get in the top 5, he needs to win some more Super Bowls. It's just the way it is, and applies to all owners. That is the benchmark.

I also look at ownership from the Family standpoint, because that is also a legacy, and how the family franchise is viewed. You have the Rooney's, Irsays, Bidwells, Modells etc, and it's fair game to look at the complete record of the Family's ownership. Additionally, owners or family members involved in ownership that move into the GM realm, also need to have that added to their record. As one poster said, Jerry Jones gets credit for three Super Bowls, but also bears responsibility as GM/Owner for the bad times. Dittoes for Al Davis. These are some additional criteria I feel are fair game to be the smartest man in the NFL. Like Belichick, you can't just take the New England years and not examine the Brown's years. It's not a bad thing because for these guys, it was a learning experience , and you have to learn somewhere. But some of the extreme Irsay apologists just want to examine the years 1999-2012. I think to be fair, you have to look at a larger template.

I don't know if he's THE smartest, or best owner in football....

But, I think he's clearly AMONG the smartest and best....   and, on that level,  that really is all that should matter.

He's very, very good, and seemingly a perfect fit for Indianapolis.....

Maybe not the smartest but definitely the luckiest. Since his daddy bought the club and inherited Unitas they were bad enough at the right times to be able to draft Bert Jones, Manning, Luck and Elway, although Elway bluffed his way out of town. It's an amazing streak of good luck happening at the right time. Just ask the Chiefs who will instead be hoping Alex Smith will be their savior.

If he is, it is because he is smart enough to realize he is not the smartest football man in the business. Irsay is smart enough to leave evaluation and personnel moves to better football minds. However, he is also smart enough to understand what decisions fall on his shoulders; and he handles them well.

Completely agree with this, he is not even close to being one of the best football minds in the NFL, but he is easily one of the best owners in the league. He makes the right decisions in the ones he needs to make and delegates most of the football moves to people more capable. The best thing about the way he makes decisions is despite being an emotional person, he uses logic and not his emotions.

The whole Jim Irsay deal about overruling Polian about trading Manning in 2004, may or may not be true, but it sounds eerily familar to Jerry Jones dissing Jimmy Johnson as he was walking out the door. We've seen it before with Jerry Jones, Al Davis, or even Art Modell. When the owner starts to think he's the prime mover, and listens to his football people less, that is when it spells trouble. Not saying this is what happened, but it would be a cause for concern.

I would give Irsay more credit for letting Manning go, and picking up Luck, if Manning's neck issue wasn't there. Denver should have been in the Super Bowl this year, which would have had more people second guessing Irsay's decision on this one. Ten years as a failed GM, 2 Super bowl appearances and 1 title in fourty years, does not make for the best in the business. Is he a quirky, fun-loving guy who has been successful since 1999 with Polian and Manning ? The answer is yes. The Colts and Luck played a weaker schedule last year, so Irsay's recent legacy depends on the further progress of Luck and the Colts, and also the contrast between Manning and the Broncos.

Perfect!