Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concerns over Jarvis Jones' neck have prompted "multiple teams" to reconsider if he's a safe first-round pick.

Dustin

I brought this up here while back and said some teams were going to be scared off due to his medical concerns. IMO, there is no way I would invest a 1st rd. pick on a guy with his condition. He may have a long career, but then again with spinal stenosis it could end rather abruptly at any time. Same could be said with any player in reality, but his condition certainly ups his risk of having a short career.

Part of the benefit of the combine is that all players undergo a series of medical tests, including X-rays and even MRI's if needed.

This information is made available to all 32 teams.    If a team is still interested they can fly the player to their facility and have their team doctors look at the player.

Some teams will be scared off.   Other won't.   At this point, it's hard to know who will and who won't.   Still way too early.....

Thing is, top half first rounders get fully guaranteed contracts, mostly with no offsets. So at pick ten, you're on the hook for $12m+, regardless if he can ever get or stay on the field. Even at the bottom of the first round, you're still guaranteeing the first three years, maybe more. It's not an astronomical amount of money, but I can see teams waving on him because of the guarantees, and chancing that he'll come back around in the second round. But at 24, you're looking at about $8m, guaranteed for three+ years.