Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Asomugha asked to restructure contract, or be released

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8973973/philadelphia-eagles-ask-cb-nnamdi-asomugha-restructure-contract-released-sources

Saw this story on Sports Center earlier. I know his production has been lacking since his mega deal but maybe a change of scenery is what he needed, just like Vontae did. Or is there a possibility of him giving in and restructuring?

He went from an almost exclusive press-man scheme in Oakland to a much more off-man and zone scheme in Philly, with NO safety help over top. That said, I'd actually be on board with signing Nnamdi if he comes at a decent price, which he should given the past few years. I think with our scheme and solid safety play from Bethea (and potentially whoever else we bring in), he could be a solid CB again. I trust Grigs to bring in the right guys, so we'll see what happens..

I didn't watch much of the Eagles this last season, but according to the fans on their forums, they ran more man coverage the last half of the season and Nnamdi was still getting roasted constantly. They are practically begging the team to release him so they can get a better player and not have the big cap hit. Nnamdi isn't the same guy as he was a few yrs. ago IMO and I don't want him here. I think the whole "he didn't fit the zone scheme" is nonsense IMO. A really good man corner should be an excellent zone corner IMO. 

He went from an almost exclusive press-man scheme in Oakland to a much more off-man and zone scheme in Philly, with NO safety help over top. That said, I'd actually be on board with signing Nnamdi if he comes at a decent price, which he should given the past few years. I think with our scheme and solid safety play from Bethea (and potentially whoever else we bring in), he could be a solid CB again. I trust Grigs to bring in the right guys, so we'll see what happens..

I am so happy you saved me time from posting a paragraph haha! I couldn't agree more, Nnamdi could and should thrive if inserted back into a predominantly man scheme. The price tag has to be right though, as extending Vontae is going to be a big priority during or after this year (I really, REALLY don't want to risk losing him because we give a boatload of cash to a different corner this year).

Completely agree.