Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney

He would have accepted a lower contract but did not say one word about it at least publicly last year when he was making 19 million dollars for 12 tackles and 5 sacks, He didn't even say that after this season ended up till now? Sounds like a publicity stunt, Hey it might be true but it sure wasn't last year, Go do your thing in the 4-3 Dwight then come home and end things the right way with your place in the Colts ring of honor

He can still retire as a Colt,  just like Jeff Saturday will eventually.

Let him go play for another team for a year or two, and when he's ready to retire, when can do the 1-day signing ceremony and then retire him, and then he goes up on the Ring of Honor.

Otherwise,   I've got no issue with how the Colts handled cutting Freeney.    None.

Peyton Manning and Roddy White are already making pitches for Freeney:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140662/article/dwight-freeney-is-being-courted-by-peyton-manning

Peyton Manning Making A Play To Acquire Dwight Freeney

Dwight Freeney said that Peyton Manning has already been in contact with him to bring Freeney to the Mile High City.

Manning sent an encouraging text to Freeney telling him not to worry about being released and he should come play in Denver.

Freeney also worried that the team would not have a spot for him due to the amount of pass rushers the team already has,

You can never have too many pass rushers, and Freeney could be a great addition to a defensive line that is already strong on the outside.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140662/article/dwight-freeney-is-being-courted-by-peyton-manning

he's already made the big bucks, so i don't know if he would accept a contract that would be a small fraction of what he was making and just being a role player. i don't see anyone paying him much to be a situational pass rusher, and he wasn't that good at that last year ether. it's amazing how someone who is that gifted of an athlete, could be so bad against the run.

I wouldn't resign him unless he'd take the Vet's minimum.  He just doesn't have a great amount of value in our defense.  

No hard feelings Freeney, it's just the nature of the business, can't keep guys forever.  I'm sure everyone here is grateful for all the years you gave to the team.  

Like other have said, go play for another couple years with a 4-3 team, come back sign a 1 day contract, retire as a Colt and go into the ring of honor.  

• 3 weeks later...