Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis tweeting spree - says who he'd like the Colts to get & keep

Coltswarriors

Jackson will be 30 come July. Thats like being 42 for a QB. Almost the end of the road for him, plus he'll want a lot of money and its a downright stupid investment for an old RB in the NFL.

Right, agreed...

I was addressing a few posts from Anton McG's, he brought up the line of thought of bring back a "Power" back, when everyone else was talking about bringing Jerraurd Powers back...

Thought it was funny & I was joking around about it...

Jackson would not be a wise investment for the team no doubt...

I've always liked Jackson though, and have always felt sorry for the guy playing for St. Louis. a franchise that just cant seem to pull it all together...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure so many people are against the idea of signing Steven Jackson per se,  I just assume people believe there are maybe other more pressing needs than RB, that can be addressed in FA, when you can probably shop for that power back in the draft...

Plus there is a guy already on the team named Vick Ballard...

I'm not overly keen on Jackson either,no doubt there are bigger needs. I'm just making the point that a new offensive regime is in place and the pieces may not exist to run it. If Jackson was reasonably priced and would come on a 1/2 year deal then I would snap him up because he is effective. A lot of the most successful teams only have a starting RB for a season or two because it is not a part of the offense that relies on chemistry and continuity to the same extent as others.

Donald Brown doesn't fit this scheme, Vick Ballard likes to run through the tackles on the inside, not exactly a pounding running back but could succeed in this system yes, cannot do it on his own though, especially in a high-percentage run system that will take an awful lot out of your running back. If it wasn't for his hissy fit with the 49'ers at the end of the year I actually would have liked Brandon Jacobs as our 2nd string RB, might still be an option if he's cheap enough.

If the coaches and players really feel we can make a Superbowl push next year, then Id be fine with bringing in Reed and Bowe.

I still feel we're at least another offseason after this one away from contending for a championship. So Im not sure Reed could help us for another championship if we're 2 years away.

If the coaches and players really feel we can make a Superbowl push next year, then Id be fine with bringing in Reed and Bowe.

I still feel we're at least another offseason after this one away from contending for a championship. So Im not sure Reed could help us for another championship if we're 2 years away.

We are a few pieces and a year under the rookies belt to really make some noise in the playoffs. Unlike some I don't think we need a completely revamped line. I think two pieces would be huge. A upgrade at olb and a 2nd cb. Give us that with a whole offseason and second year for the rookies I think we are going to explode next year. On both sides of the ball. I think Reed would be a huge addition. Not just his skills. But the over all swag it would bring to our D can't be understated. Just think how Redding helped and he was just a back up

If he'd take a deal like that I would consider it, but do you think he'd take that deal.

I don't know.

Jackson's not a guy you would be rushing out to sign, but to me he's certainly a guy you put a phone call in to an agent if the market is dry or if the only offers he is getting is from awful teams.  There still could be good value there.

I don't know.

Jackson's not a guy you would be rushing out to sign, but to me he's certainly a guy you put a phone call in to an agent if the market is dry or if the only offers he is getting is from awful teams. There still could be good value there.

Wonder what he has left in the tank? Absolutely loved him when he hit the NFL! He ran like he meant business. He was very fast, big and strong. Just muscled boys

Wonder what he has left in the tank? Absolutely loved him when he hit the NFL! He ran like he meant business. He was very fast, big and strong. Just muscled boys

He didn't seem to be slowing down last year and that was as a primary back.  You give him 2/3rds of the carries he has last year and you'd have to think he'd give you a couple years.

Thats creative, but dont want any of those players...maybe Bowe..

Bowe is out, KC and his agent have started serious talks and he says he expects a deal soon, (per NFL Radio on XM).  Besides we have a solid reciever core....  just give Luck the time to find them and for them to complete their routes and they all will be solid.

Bowe is out, KC and his agent have started serious talks and he says he expects a deal soon, (per NFL Radio on XM).  Besides we have a solid reciever core....  just give Luck the time to find them and for them to complete their routes and they all will be solid.

I can't wait till they come to an agreement. That will be just 1 less WR that won't need to be constantly brought up in about every other thread.

I can't wait till they come to an agreement. That will be just 1 less WR that won't need to be constantly brought up in about every other thread.

Good point.... Here it is 3:14 pm and no one has started a thread about Charles Woodson, POSSIBLY being released by the packers and shouldn't we run out and sign him!  So tired of all these folks wanting to sign everyone else's leftovers.  if they aren't good enough for their current team they certainly aren't good enough for a young, growing monster like the Colts!

Good point.... Here it is 3:14 pm and no one has started a thread about Charles Woodson, POSSIBLY being released by the packers and shouldn't we run out and sign him!  So tired of all these folks wanting to sign everyone else's leftovers.  if they aren't good enough for their current team they certainly aren't good enough for a young, growing monster like the Colts!

Actually, there has been 3 threads about Woodson in the other sections, but they may have them merged by now.

The thing about Charles is even though he's ancient, he has vast knowledge and could really teach some of the young fellas a thing or two. That being said it could mess up some things. I'd prefer to draft a SS leave Bethea @ FS, have Vontae around obviously and bring in a FA CB opposite of Davis. Or draft a CB and bring in a SS via FA. Most of all primarily target young, mid aged players, not ancient ones like CW or ER even though I wouldn't cry if the Colts did target them.

I do have to agree with staying younger, middle age talent can still bring in knowledge. Guys like Reed and Woodson would t give the Colts many years at all, thus being signed to lack luster contracts.

Hamilton's offense in Stanford relied heavily on power backs I believe so I think it is inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts cut Donald Brown or if they could get a 6/7th round pick, trade him. I wouldn't mind having Steven Jackson on a 2 year deal if it was thought to be an offensive fit. Quality power backs are as common as hen's teeth.

I didn't say I don't want power backs, I'm talking about Jarraud powers

Wait a minute, This: "figure out the answer to this math problem: 48 as in Super Bowl 48 -9(Get that 1 yard) =?? (Hint) 242.9 miles on interstate 70~~~~~~>#EAST".......meant Steven Jackson??? Steven Jackson played in St. Louis, Right??? Since when is St. Louis to the east of Indianapolis?. Seems like Mathis should focus more on learning geography than wasting his time trying to build the team. :)

i thought the exact same thing!!!  :D