Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pep Hamilton interview

Marcio James

Why? Would you let Peyton Manning run the Pistol?

No. Luck is a great Passer, let's not make him some gimmick.

exactly....with an upgraded line..we're doing the opposition a favor running the ball 2 our of 3 times..

the shot gun gives you more time than the pistol...(which is basically a mini, run-friendly shotgun)

The better our line gets..the more Luck will be throwing..

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was nothing more beautiful then watching Peyton Manning run the play action when we had a running game. As soon as he faked the hand off, I would seriously hold my breath in anticipation of the down field throw.

Would love to have that feeling again.

I just saw this.....sorry...had too many notifications, and for some reason not getting quotes in my email....great point!!!!  I love play action, and 18 was a joy to watch...period...exclamation point!!!!  :)  Thanks for the reply!!

because some Colts fans have spent all year making fun of it and RG3 in it and talking about how Luck was a better QB because he didn't run it.  So if the Colts start to use it then those people are in danger of being wrong and for some here being right is way more important than you know the Colts doing something makes them better or not.

With that said, I can see the argument that some don't want to see us use it because it will put Luck at risk more.  With that said I would remind people two things about Luck. 

1.  He is physically bigger than RG3 and is built to be able to take some hits.

2.  He is still going to be looking to pass first and run as a last resort.

Also worth mentioning Luck has already shown he knows when to get down or get out of bounds to help avoid big hits.  So I wouldn't panic if the Colts use this some. 

I also think maybe Hamilton is just throwing everything out there now so teams have to account for it.  We'll see how much they use all this stuff he said tonight. 

I am totally against the zone read offense.....pistol......veer with a twist offense.  I hope they fail with a passion!  I wish I was a DC so I could make those offenses pay....bad thing is I might get a Gregg Williams reputation doing so with 15 yard penalties on whoever 'looks' like they have the ball.  

I will say that you and Larry Horseman make the best comments, however concerning said offenses.  I really enjoyed your guy's comments....:)

I am totally against the zone read offense.....pistol......veer with a twist offense.  I hope they fail with a passion!  I wish I was a DC so I could make those offenses pay....bad thing is I might get a Gregg Williams reputation doing so with 15 yard penalties on whoever 'looks' like they have the ball.  

I will say that you and Larry Horseman make the best comments, however concerning said offenses.  I really enjoyed your guy's comments.... :)

Thank you for the kind words.  I always enjoy your stuff too Brent!

Preseason doesn't matter.

And the point is that you can throw just as easily out of the pistol alignment as you can out of the shotgun. Replace that extra tight end with a receiver and it's the same personnel, and that has nothing to do with where the running back is standing.

Exactly, hence why I loved Hamilton's emphasis on his affinity with versatile TE's, I think that will be crucial to the success of our run game and indeed pass game, especially if we present different looks. I would be happy to keep two TE's on the field on every play, I actually think both Allen and Fleener are very good down field blockers which could be very useful.

I think the biggest key is that, in passing plays, Luck has plenty of options to go to. What separated Luck from RG3 and Wilson last year was his ability to go through his progressions. Barely once did you see RG3 seek out his 3rd option receiver. You have so much more versatility in your offense when you have a QB who can go through his 4 or 5 receivers. Packers are the perfect example of this.

So from a formation standpoint, I believe the Pistol could definitely help us in the run game, but as long as we are still sending enough guys down field when passing.

I can't wait to see what the new offense will look like. I think Pep is going to do a great job.<br />He seems like a numbers and efficiency type of guy. Kind of reminds me of when Peyton and Dungy<br />hooked up. Dungys approach to the game helped settle Peyton down and made him more efficient.<br />I think Pep will have a similar effect on Luck and the offense as a whole. The offense will be more balanced and efficient,<br />but it will remain explosive. I think it's possible we score more this year.<br /><br />The greatest thing I heard him talking about in his interview was the emphasis on being a strong running<br />team with the major goal of opening up the play action pass to strike down field. That was an element<br />I thought Bruce Arians offense lacked. To me, there was not enough play action passing to keep the opposing<br />team thinking before they brought the heat. The lack of this was an aid in exposing our not so talented<br />offensive line. It wasn't the only reason, but I thought it played a signficant role in their troubles.

Been away from this thread for some time....   thought I'd take a look....

I don't want to get too bogged down in numbers....   but....

We passed 39+ times a game last year,  ran roughly 27.5.

I'd like to see us pass 32-36 times and run roughly 30-32 times.

But the main thing I'd like to see is the Colts be more effective and efficient with each of our plays.  

Luck is clearly going to throw less next season,  but he's going to complete more.   His completion percentage should go up roughly 8-10 points this first year I would think.    Hopefully, our running game will be more effective and our average per carry will go up a decent amount...   I think we're in the 3.8 range,  I'd like to see us in the 4.2 range.

The West Coast Offense is about being smart.   You complete a pass for 7 yards on 1st down and suddenly the defense is looking at 2nd and 3....   what will the Colts do?   Run or pass?    An offense is more dangerous when the defense has no idea what you'll do and you have the ability to get the first down by passing or running.

I wouldn't worry for a minute that we're trying to turn Luck into Russell Wilson and have him pass just 25 times...    when the Colts have one of the best defenses and running games in football,  then we'd have the option to do that, but on our terms.   

No worries...   we're years away from that.    Years.

Hopefully,  better days ahead...!!        :thmup: