Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints make it official, hire Rob Ryan as DC

chad72

I think Rob Ryan is the most overrated coordinator in the league.  He is nowhere near as good as his brother.  I don't think this will help the Saints...but I don't want to see the Saints do well, so I'm fine with the hire.

I don't even think he qualifies as overrated because I don't know anyone who thinks very highly of him.  Might be more accurate to say that he's the most inexplicably hired coordinator in the league.

I don't even think he qualifies as overrated because I don't know anyone who thinks very highly of him.  Might be more accurate to say that he's the most inexplicably hired coordinator in the league.

haha well said.  I think he only gets credit because of his last name.  His defense in Cleveland did fine without him and they had a talented roster.  He had another talented roster in Dallas and didn't do all that much.

I honestly don't see how they could have chosen Ryan over Romeo Crennel. Romeo might stink as a head coach, but he's a fine defensive coordinator. I would have went with Crennel. It's funny that Crennel still hasn't gotten hired. New Englands best defenses I believe were when he was the coordinator.

I honestly don't see how they could have chosen Ryan over Romeo Crennel. Romeo might stink as a head coach, but he's a fine defensive coordinator. I would have went with Crennel. It's funny that Crennel still hasn't gotten hired. New Englands best defenses I believe were when he was the coordinator.

Maybe Ron Rivera, with the Panthers going to a 3-4, might give Romeo a call? Did the Panthers make that switch completely last year that was talked about at the beginning of the year?

HC Sean Payton knows exactly what he's doing. "In regards to Rob, we have experience in preparing and playing against his defenses and they've always been challenging in terms of the different looks and pressures that they feature. " I like this hire a great deal. Rob will get his new defensive guys to generate turnovers again & play with fire again. 

I do agree with my pal Krunk though.  Romeo Crennel should have at least been interviewed for DC along with Lovie Smith IMO.  :thmup:

KC are still paying Crennel in 2013, so Crennel is getting paid for taking a year off. I think I would do the same after that year i KC. Horrible QB situation, under performing defense, critic, and the traumatic experience with Jovan Belcher.

But other than Rob Ryan being overrated and an arrogant DC, Saints switching to 3-4 is kind of exciting to watch - from a pure football perspective. I don't want to see them succeed...

They got some pieces who should fit very nicely in the 3-4. They can get rid of overpaid, underperforming players as Will Smith and Sedrick Ellis, and play a potential stud DL in Cameron Jordan at his best position, the 5 technique. Akiem Hicks should be a good fit at the other 34 DE spot. Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne should fit well as ILBs, as should Martez Wilson and Junior Galette as 34 OLBs. They need another OLB and a NT, and they got a very potent starting defensive lineup.